Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you believe in the curse on the mayo football team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Passing a funeral. What WERE they thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Don't believe in the curse, Mayo folk are just soft. No backbone to grind it out when push comes to shove. Bottlers. Benfica are their footballing equivalent

I don't really understand the Benfica reference, is it cos Benfica are the most successful team in a smaller competition in the west (Portuguese Primeira Liga/Connacht Championship) but haven't done it on the bigger stage (Champions League/All Ireland) in years ? If so, it's a pretty terrible analogy. Benfica haven't been in a final in years and if they did get to one and lose, it still would be a serious achievement. Is it cos they both have red and green on their crest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

Patww79 wrote: »

I thought that was Game of Thrones where Aidan is no longer considered King of the West. Seemingly that is John Muldoon these days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mayo win in Connaught as a dominant team. But it's Connaught.

For them to win is the same as expecting an Irish soccer team to win champions league

As opposed to the depths of talent in Leinster and Munster..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

kupus wrote: »
    Less of the old bottler sh1tetalk, if they were bottlers then 7 semifinals in a row is what?

Between freakish goals conceded in finals and balls that normally never bounce that friggen high to go over for a point ( i still remember the silence after that point meath scored to level the match, nobody could believe what happened in front of their eyes)
    Another game that maurice fitzgerald was on fire for (one of the finest players ever in the history of gaa)

After all that, and yet here mayo are again in a semi.

But bottlers you say.

Really ?. Never mind the fact that they were about six points up and cruising. No, it was the bounce of a ball that did it.
    Then in the replay they started a row, and got whipped. Went ahead again, and couldn't see it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Nothing to do with a curse, they're just not consistent enough. Mayo are a fantastic team on their day but they could be dire to watch the following week. Just look at the results against Roscommon, how do you draw against that team one week and annihilate the same team the following week?

They have been in and around the finals the last few years but they have lost every one of them. Look at how many teams they couldn't beat in normal time over the last number of years throughout the championship. They don't have the edge to win it in my opinion and it has nothing to do with a curse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

seamus wrote: »
    Fun fact: Dublin have won every AI final they've played in since 1995.

They'll probably have another one in the next few weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Nobody talked about this curse until the 90s. Mayo were just ****e for several decades and have either failed to turn up or faced stronger opponents in the finals. Most the finals we played, we weren't expected to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Mayo win in Connaught as a dominant team. But it's Connaught.

WTF is "Connaught"? Who uses "Connaught" to describe Connacht?

I notice in the complex where I live, "Mayo 4 Sam" broadband connections coming up when I'm looking for wireless. Surely there's more to life in Mayo!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

There's a AI in that Mayo team yet ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Not anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Kerry will beat them in the semi, Tyrone may well beat the Dubs too.

It's got nothing to do with with the rugby team.

State bodies use Connacht as the spelling for the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No.

Because I am a grown adult who has a brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I believe it's a good excuse for bottling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's the exact opposite for Mayo.

Very few teams have as much heart as they have if they didn't they wouldn't keep on coming back year after year they wouldn't be getting to these finals and nobody would be accusing them of being bottlers.

They just happen to be unlucky that every single year they get to the final there is a team better than them in it.They're unlucky that when they have the best team they've ever had (this decade) Dublin also happen to have their best ever team who are just that bit better than them.

But that's what bottling is. Always nearly being there but constantly choking. Had they not got themselves that far in the tournament on a regular basis, they wouldn't be bottlers, just crap
    I don't really understand the Benfica reference, is it cos Benfica are the most successful team in a smaller competition in the west (Portuguese Primeira Liga/Connacht Championship) but haven't done it on the bigger stage (Champions League/All Ireland) in years ? If so, it's a pretty terrible analogy. Benfica haven't been in a final in years and if they did get to one and lose, it still would be a serious achievement. Is it cos they both have red and green on their crest?

Benfica had a similar "curse" placed on them as far as I know. Have lost 7 or 8 European finals in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Why would anyone use this spelling? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why would anyone use this spelling? :confused:

Completely off topic, but Connaught is the anglicised version of Connacht. Now back to the curse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Don't think they are cursed it's just when the pressure of a big game is on they seem to fold. I know a few Mayo people and you wouldn't think they were like that but it must be something with them...however I reckon there are a lot of counties out there who would love to be in their position

Let's just say if I was at war I'd feel better if the person in the trenches next to me was not from Mayo....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But that's what bottling is. Always nearly being there but constantly choking. Had they not got themselves that far in the tournament on a regular basis, they wouldn't be bottlers, just crap

Benfica had a similar "curse" placed on them as far as I know. Have lost 7 or 8 European finals in the meantime

Balls.

Why are soccer teams out there spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players when they should just hire a witch doctor or whoever to stick a curse on their opponents.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Balls.

Why are soccer teams out there spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players when they should just hire a witch doctor or whoever to stick a curse on their opponents.

If you read my first post, I'm disagreeing that there's a curse, that Mayo are just bottlebags like Benfica, hence the inverted comma's on curse

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pure tashte

Well, the last two they lost were against a team regarded as one of the best of all time, and they lost by a point on both occasions. Before that, they lost to a team who were undoubtedly the best in Ireland that year, and the previous 2 to that were against another of the greatest teams of their generation (both hammerings).

Maybe they've just played against teams who are better than them? If they had lost to inferior teams fair enough, but all of the teams they've lost against in the last 20 years have been of a very high standard.

As you mentioned a football comparison, how about Juventus? They have been beaten in a lot of CL Finals over the last 20 years, have they all been bottlers as well?

Bottling is losing when you are expected to win.

I think the 1996 final is the only one they were expected to win (and they may not ahve been favourites for that one either).

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

If Mayo ever had a chance it was in the first final last year, never seen Dublin play as bad as they did that day. Practically served it up on a platter.

Well, the last two they lost were against a team regarded as one of the best of all time, and they lost by a point on both occasions. Before that, they lost to a team who were undoubtedly the best in Ireland that year, and the previous 2 to that were against another of the greatest teams of their generation (both hammerings).

Maybe they've just played against teams who are better than them? If they had lost to inferior teams fair enough, but all of the teams they've lost against in the last 20 years have been of a very high standard.

As you mentioned a football comparison, how about Juventus? They have been beaten in a lot of CL Finals over the last 20 years, have they all been bottlers as well?

Well in 96 they were better than Meath. Beat Kerry in 96 also, but couldn't put them to the sword in the 97 final. Outplayed Donegal and still lost, yet when the pressure was off the following year hammered them. Dublin may have been favorites, but Mayo still matched them but didn't have the grit to finish it. Meath teams of old regularly played against superior opposition but still had the steel to come out on top. Mayo are soft.

I'd currently have Juventus in the underachievers bracket, but if they were to lose another 1 or 2 finals they could certainly be elevated to the bottlers bracket
    Bottling is losing when you are expected to win.

I think the 1996 final is the only one they were expected to win (and they may not ahve been favourites for that one either).

I don't agree you have to be favourites to bottle it. Considering some of the positions they have gotten themselves into only to continually lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Their consistency is atrocious. On Monday they effortlessly annihilated a team that they'd drawn with only a week previously. The game was over in the first ten minutes, they may as well have been playing against an under-16s team. Why the massive shift in quality from Mayo?

Last year in the same game that they put a six-point lead on one of the best teams in history, they also managed to score two own goals and tie the game.

The other big 3 - Dublin, Kerry and Tyrone generally win the games they're expected to win, and destroy the weaker teams when they meet them.

With Mayo it's a real toss-up whether they'll turn up on the day.

Advertisement