Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you believe in the curse on the mayo football team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I doubt any amount gloating in the event of a win would be as painful to listen to as the bitter moaning brought on by repeated defeat.
    Have you ever even met a Mayo person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    If Mayo ever had a chance it was in the first final last year, never seen Dublin play as bad as they did that day. Practically served it up on a platter.

Don't write them off this year. Games are 10 times better than training. They are peaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Don't write them off this year. Games are 10 times better than training. They are peaking.

Not writing them off, as I said on their day they're an excellent team, it just depends what team turns up on the day. Roscommon two matches being a prime example.

My wife's from Mayo, even she's lost faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

It matters not what anyone believes.... Only the team itself. If they believe they can win they've a shot. If they believe they're cursed they may aswell give a walk over to their next opponents. Doing something is half envisioning it and believing you can do it and half effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

No. Mayo are not good enough.

Seemingly neither are 30 other counties that repeatedly fail to even make the final every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

elsa21 wrote: »
    Seemingly neither are 30 other counties that repeatedly fail to even make the final every year.

Dont forget county London and New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Have you ever even met a Mayo person?

One of my parents is from Mayo. Sick of listening to the whinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Don't believe in the curse

But I'd love to see mayo win it out all the same,kerry and Dublin are good and all

But they've enough all ireland won,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭batistuta9

NIMAN wrote: »
    Balls.

Why are soccer teams out there spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players when they should just hire a witch doctor or whoever to stick a curse on their opponents.

Already happening :pac:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/porto-accuse-benfica-hierarchy-hiring-a-witch-doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I don't really understand the Benfica reference, is it cos Benfica are the most successful team in a smaller competition in the west (Portuguese Primeira Liga/Connacht Championship) but haven't done it on the bigger stage (Champions League/All Ireland) in years ? If so, it's a pretty terrible analogy. Benfica haven't been in a final in years and if they did get to one and lose, it still would be a serious achievement. Is it cos they both have red and green on their crest?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/europa-league-final-seville-0-benfica-0-what-is-the-curse-of-bela-guttman-and-where-does-it-rank-9373886.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

imo they have been so consistent over the past few years with the most they've lost in AI finals recently is 2 pts, anyway I was at the Roscommon game and if they produce the same type of scoring then they've a great chance, the curse on them just creates that extra interest in them from non mayo people

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Their best chance was against Dublin in 2013. They were in cruise control till Dublin got a goal that Keeper should not have come out for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Mayo win in Connaught as a dominant team. But it's Connaught.

For them to win is the same as expecting an Irish soccer team to win champions league

Dominant in Connaught? The stats would say otherwise. They benefit from the backdoor system way more than other counties as it gives them the space to get their momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dublin are just ****? I thought we were talking about Mayo
    Dublin are sh|t, but Mayo is in it's own class of sh|t.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Should have beaten the Jacks last year.

Cnuts keep losing all the time.

I remember in 96 they'd a big fcking brawl against Meath.

Meath had a nice team in those days, Trevor Giles was one of the classiest footballers I've ever seen.

screamer wrote: »
    Doing something is half envisioning it and believing you can do it and half effort.

So you don't believe in all that individual skill, strength, ability to work in a team, depth of squad, quality of coaching, team formation and selection, tactics, substitutions etc. etc.

Just get a lot of fellows who will put in a lot of effort and "envision it"?

That stuff would get laughed out the gate here in Kerry. You need a lot more than effort and belief to win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think there's only chap alive too from the 51 team isn't there?

The curse will be vanquished when he passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

That lad is locked in Jim Gavin's attic. With a round the clock
    medical team keeping him in alive and in the best of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Obviously the curse thing isnt real. Just see it for what it is as a bit of craic.
    I actually believe the plight of Mayo adds value to the GAA. Its an annual talking point we cant get enough of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

So you don't believe in all that individual skill, strength, ability to work in a team, depth of squad, quality of coaching, team formation and selection, tactics, substitutions etc. etc.

Just get a lot of fellows who will put in a lot of effort and "envision it"?

That stuff would get laughed out the gate here in Kerry. You need a lot more than effort and belief to win an All Ireland.

You can lump skill selection tactics etc into the effort part.... But envisioning is proven. If you don't believe you can achieve something you won't do it.....regardless of skill etc.
    As for being laughed at in Kerry....the land where fairies ruin the roads..... Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

You can lump skill selection tactics etc into the effort part.... But envisioning is proven. If you don't believe you can achieve something you won't do it.....regardless of skill etc.
    As for being laughed at in Kerry....the land where fairies ruin the roads..... Enough said.

:D:D I'll till you nouwww

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Funnily enough, there's evidence on both sides against "envisioning".

It's been proven in some contexts that if you tell people about a goal that you're trying to reach, then you're less likely to reach that goal. Something about taking your foot off the pedal because you already have some sense of achievement from just talking about it.
    In that regard, constantly talking about how you're going to win the All-Ireland, "envisioning" your victory, may cause your players to give less effort because psychologically the match is already won, in part.

Of course at the same time there would be plenty of evidence that if you are constantly told you can't do it, then your players are more likely to dial it down, because why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I don't remember any mention of this curse before the mid-1990s, specifically after that disastrous run of 3 finals in 2 years. That came 40+ years after the supposed meeting with the witch. For all those years in the 1980s, when Mayo also had a great team, where was the talk then??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I don't remember any mention of this curse before the mid-1990s, specifically after that disastrous run of 3 finals in 2 years. That came 40+ years after the supposed meeting with the witch. For all those years in the 1980s, when Mayo also had a great team, where was the talk then??

Because they only got to one final between 51-96 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Because they only got to one final between 51-96 I think

I see. Well, then would that mean the curse was partially lifted in 1996? Was the curse mooted as a reason before the mid-1990s?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

Its nonsense. Aidan O'Shea did a documentary for RTE and visited one of the surviving members of the 51 team in America. He said that not only was there no interruption of a funeral by the bus, there was no bus. All of the team travelled seperately in cars
    Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well if you were one of the people allegedly responsible for the incredible run of bad luck suffered since, you'd hardly go on television and say "yeah, we goofed, sorry about that".

Can we make this thread a sticky? It comes up every year.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057043846

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭mezzz

Its nonsense. Aidan O'Shea did a documentary for RTE and visited one of the surviving members of the 51 team in America. He said that not only was there no interruption of a funeral by the bus, there was no bus. All of the team travelled seperately in cars

i seen this video aswell,

there is no curse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

On the contrary, before it's too late, stick that chap on with 5 minutes to go, he is the only Mayo man, that knows how to win an All Ireland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

On the contrary, before it's too late, stick that chap on with 5 minutes to go, he is the only Mayo man, that knows how to win an All Ireland. :D

I think there are two left alive. But one of them lives in Kerry, so we can't bring him on the next day, they may have brought him over to the dark side by now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

There's actually a play about the night before the final and the last surviving member of the '51 team. 'Shortcut to Hallelujah'. I haven't seen it.

Advertisement