Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you believe in the curse on the mayo football team

Options
  • 09-08-2017 1:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15

personally not religious or superstitious but i do believe in the curse,

imo all the energy from people makes it real

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Are you just in from the pub ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Not cursed. At this stage losing in Croker in September is habitual to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 techno_radio

Noveight wrote: »
    Not cursed. At this stage losing in Croker in September is habitual to them.

not this year, sam maguire i coming homr to mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Don't believe in the curse, Mayo folk are just soft. No backbone to grind it out when push comes to shove. Bottlers. Benfica are their footballing equivalent

Don't believe in the curse, Mayo folk are just soft. No backbone to grind it out when push comes to shove. Bottlers. Benfica are their footballing equivalent

so basically your saying the-yr too nice :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The curse is very real

Stemming from an ancient curse initiated by the Healy-Rae's in the fairy forts of Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe it will take a collapse of opponent in a final for mayo to make the break through.
    I don't believe in curse but they have managed to lose finals in ever more inventive ways as they improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mayo win in Connaught as a dominant team. But it's Connaught.

For them to win is the same as expecting an Irish soccer team to win champions league

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I didnt until the two freak own goals last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Less of the old bottler sh1tetalk, if they were bottlers then 7 semifinals in a row is what?

Between freakish goals conceded in finals and balls that normally never bounce that friggen high to go over for a point ( i still remember the silence after that point meath scored to level the match, nobody could believe what happened in front of their eyes)
    Another game that maurice fitzgerald was on fire for (one of the finest players ever in the history of gaa)

After all that, and yet here mayo are again in a semi.

But bottlers you say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Up the Dubliners!

They are my favourite Gaelic sports team. They are the best at scoring top marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

kupus wrote: »
    Less of the old bottler sh1tetalk, if they were bottlers then 7 semifinals in a row is what?

Between freakish goals conceded in finals and balls that normally never bounce that friggen high to go over for a point ( i still remember the silence after that point meath scored to level the match, nobody could believe what happened in front of their eyes)
    Another game that maurice fitzgerald was on fire for (one of the finest players ever in the history of gaa)

After all that, and yet here mayo are again in a semi.

But bottlers you say.

Yes bottlers. Always nearly getting there but never having the stomach to see it out is exactly what bottling is. The more semi's and finals they get to without winning, the bigger the chokers they become. And Meath you say? Mayo could certainly take a leaf out of their book in terms of standing up when it counts and grinding it out (well the Meath teams of old, not the rubbish they churn out today)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What energy?

Describe the mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Are DEATH Cap mushrooms safe to eat?

endacl wrote: »
    What energy?

Describe the mechanism.

basically all the superstition is converted into kinetic energy, then thats converted into fm radio-waves, and the football becomes the fm receiver, so the football is like a radio and the curse is broadcast in fm waves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

That must be one boring Dutch disco and some sh1t Special K.

I don't believe in any curse beyond the everyday casual references to "luck" or being "unlucky". Mayo sure have been unlucky. I wish they'd win so they could just get over it. I doubt any amount gloating in the event of a win would be as painful to listen to as the bitter moaning brought on by repeated defeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Kerry have lost 22 finals;
    Cork have lost 16 finals;
    Galway have lost 13 finals;
    Dublin have lost 13 finals.

Antrim, Carlow, Clare, Fermanagh, Loais, Leitrim, LOndon, Longford, Monaghan, New York, Sligo, Waterford, Westmeath,Wicklow have never won a GAA football final.

Kildare, Roscommon, Wexford are waiting longer than Mayo for another win.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Simply put, if you believe in curses, karma, fortune tellers or any of that sh*te then you yourself are a bit simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Mayo win in Connaught as a dominant team. But it's Connaught.

For them to win is the same as expecting an Irish soccer team to win champions league

Well they didn't even do that this year..
    As for the curse, placebo effect maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

i believe you go into a game with an attitude of you can't win then you wont win. I believe you go into an all ireland phase having being beaten every year, it plays on your brain. But you have a coach who tells you that is bollox! Now that is the guy you need. My home team had a great coach. We simply put everything on the line for him. We were just an ordinary team but we punched well enough for our weight. I hope Mayo take a lot of heart from what Connacht rugby did last year. It is very possible. You just go out there and kick ass and things will land as they will land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No. They're just sh|t.

the_syco wrote: »
    No. They're just sh|t.

Dublin are just ****? I thought we were talking about Mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It's the exact opposite for Mayo.

Very few teams have as much heart as they have if they didn't they wouldn't keep on coming back year after year they wouldn't be getting to these finals and nobody would be accusing them of being bottlers.

They just happen to be unlucky that every single year they get to the final there is a team better than them in it.They're unlucky that when they have the best team they've ever had (this decade) Dublin also happen to have their best ever team who are just that bit better than them.

It's the exact opposite for Mayo.

Very few teams have as much heart as they have if they didn't they wouldn't keep on coming back year after year they wouldn't be getting to these finals and nobody would be accusing them of being bottlers.

They just happen to be unlucky that every single year they get to the final there is a team better than them in it.They're unlucky that when they have the best team they've ever had (this decade) Dublin also happen to have their best ever team who are just that bit better than them.

It is not unlucky. You get used to losing, its become doubly hard to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I love this time of year.
    Mayo 4 Sam.

LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Its nonsense. Aidan O'Shea did a documentary for RTE and visited one of the surviving members of the 51 team in America. He said that not only was there no interruption of a funeral by the bus, there was no bus. All of the team travelled seperately in cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

No. Mayo are not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Benfica are their footballing equivalent
    Pats had a bad run in the cup for years. Lost seven finals before winning it again 43 years later. That was a curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pats had a bad run in the cup for years. Lost seven finals before winning it again 43 years later. That was a curse.

And Athlone haven't made a final since they won it without conceding a goal in '24. Dinny Hannon and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fun fact: Dublin have won every AI final they've played in since 1995.

Advertisement