Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink?

Options
1235»

Comments

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think they are set at nanny state levels yes.

We wouldn't be like that at all, I'd always go to bed for a few hours and get up and have the breakfast before starting on the beer again and would not be acting like those people in question. The cure is close to a nesessity the day after a wedding.

There are a few here who are sounding very sanctimonious indeed when it comes to other people's drinking habits.

Sure what about drinking all night in a residents bar or continuing the next morning? Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭victor8600

When I go out, I usually drink 2-4 pints of stout followed by 3-4 shots of whiskey. This happens once a month on average. I drink at home much less often, maybe a can of beer every couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

victor8600 wrote: »
    When I go out, I usually drink 2-4 pints of stout followed by 3-4 shots of whiskey. This happens once a month on average. I drink at home much less often, maybe a can of beer every couple of months.

I'm probably the same, minus the drinking at home. I live alone and I don't drink when I'm by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

I had two bottles of beer at Christmas (not on the same night)

I was on holidays in June, I had 2 bottles of beer 4 of the nights and one night I went completely apeshít mental and had 3 bottles.

I haven't had a drink since.

So this year I've had 11 bottles of beer (Corona incidentally) as the drinks at Christmas were actually in 2016.
    Think i've identified the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Half a liter of captain Morgan/Jack Daniels and a few beers a night
    more if I go out

each to their own though
    no need to judge anyone for drinking or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

anna080 wrote: »
    Why??

Because alcohol is a poison, it's 2nd only to heroin as the most addictive drug on planet earth and it kills millions of people every year .It's very hard to see alcohol for what it really is because of the mass marketing campaign behind it . It's brain washing at the very highest level . And fitness freak do gooders. What the he'll is that supposed to mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

My boyfriend and I share one or two bottles of wine per week, usually with dinner. I have a cocktail or two maybe once a month. That's usually about it.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I think it's a positive thing to call out dangerous levels of alcohol abuse.

It's so normalised in Irish society that some people are really deluded about how much damage they are doing to themselves.

It's not sanctimonious to point out that over 100 units in a week is more than 7 times the recommended amount.

If someone said they were eating a packet of solphadeine a day no one would consider it sanctimonious for people to say that it's dangerous. If someone was drinking 10 red bulls a day it wouldn't be seen as sanctimonious to say it was dangerous. Why is alcohol different?

At the end of the day,the lad is an adult and knows what he's doing

Chances are consuming that level of calories he needs only look into the mirror to know it's unhealthy

It's only himself he's doing it too,so long as he's not harming/annoying etc anyone only himself,there's no real harm to it

(Curiously same logic applies to any drugs imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Yeah cos alcoholism and dangerous over consumption of drink only ever hurts the person pouring it down their throats, doesn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I can't really agree with that as alcohol abuse generally harms many people around the drinker.

However, I just think it's nonsense for people to call it sanctimonious to actually say how dangerous that behaviour is.

By any objective measure 100+ units a week is dangerous.

If it harms other people by all means complain

Iirc that lad hasn't any kids etc,so in reality if it's causing harm to his partner she can walk away

It is dangerous to drink 100+ units in a week,I'd hardly drink it in a year like
    But it's his life to live as he sees fit,so long as he knows the harm/risks...it falls on him to mind himself

Like if he ever needs a liver etc,I'd have him bottom of the list vs genuine cases where liver failed through no fault of the person

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I always have two bottles of Erdinger with the dinner or two glasses of wine every evening, I don't go out often but once a month is the average normally having six pints or 4 double fluffy duck's if I'm stressed and need to get drunk fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Seriously Nox that's a scary level of binge drinking. Obviously it's your life and you're free to do as you please but you're deluded if you think you can drink that volume of alcohol on a regular basis and not cause your body serious damage.

I drank alcoholically for years, and I mean as alcoholics go, I was definitely at the worse end of the scale.

My liver function tests have always been grand, in fact I only got my bloods done again recently and everything was perfect - my liver is probably in better shape than that of most people reading this! (I told my consultant that they should rip out my liver-of-steel and give it to someone who actually deserves it. :o )

To give you an idea of how bad I was ... the drink driving BAC is 0.05% By 0.20%, you're pretty drunk. 0.30% and you're in danger of a coma. 0.40% death is possible. I've often blown over 1%, over 2%, and a couple of times even over 3% (and yes, I mean 3% and not 0.30%!)

Suffice to say I'm glad I don't drink any more, at all, and I'm sure my liver is happy about that also ... it couldn't go on being invincible forever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

At the end of the day,the lad is an adult and knows what he's doing

Chances are consuming that level of calories he needs only look into the mirror to know it's unhealthy

It's only himself he's doing it too,so long as he's not harming/annoying etc anyone only himself,there's no real harm to it

(Curiously same logic applies to any drugs imo)

The amount of alcohol consumed far out weighs the negative effects to ones health compared the amount of calories that go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Normal week would have at least one evening/night with 8-10 pints (and often spirits) sometimes two and the there would be a few cans at home or few pints in the pub here and there but it varies a lot.

Then there are heavier weeks like the last one where I've have at least 45 pints in the last 7 days.

Is that you Paddy Losty? :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcXjholnGk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Funny how? wrote: »
    Im 29 and drink probably 20 pints a week since I was 18. Still fit, still play sports and not a bother on my health. Usually 6 or 7 on Friday, 10 on Saturday and four or five on sunday.

If your drinking a pint an hour your grand, if your guzzling 3 or four pints an hour with shots etc it's a different ball game.

People on about calories as well is funny. I'm 6 foot 2, 11.2 stone and eat three good healthy meals a day, and no not anorexic, just a small frame, no bones showing whatsover.

Last checkup I had was to do with tiredness and all my blood results was fine. Took three weeks off work and was like a new man. I agree that drink didn't help with the tiredness to be honest, was just burnt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Used to like beer when I was young . Haven't drunk any alcohol at all now for 15 years. Dont like fizzy drinks either so I never started on the sweetened alco pop type things.
    Just really worried about how my own kids will go now with alcohol, its so ingrained in everything now.
    There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that they'll be tee total like me even though that's what they're used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Would probably have 3-4 pints one night a week and maybe once every three weeks I'd go out a second night and have 7-8. Every year for the last few years I've taken a month off drink in January. Am 37 now and the level of drinking is definitely lower than it once was, get too many hangovers to make even the current level worthwhile.
    Drinking is definitely a young persons game, by the age of 30 it's definitely time to be cutting back on the sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I drank heavily socially for 20+ years. Quit for most of 2016 and now drink moderately a few times a week by moderately I mean 1-3 drinks. I love drinking but happily a few is enough for me nowadays. I did really miss it when I stopped last year and I've no plans of stopping again but I've also no intentions or desire for drinking to excess either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 IronStones

usually cut through circa two litres of jack daniels every week. would have a few glasses every evening if im working late or when I get home. working a fairly hectic job so need something to take the edge off.

Advertisement