Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Not a whole lot anymore. I pay for it if I over-indulge. I seem to have an allergy and I get completely congested in my sinuses and feel so so sick the next day if I have anything more than maybe 3 glasses of wine.
    My husband and i might share 2 bottles of wine over a 3-day weekend but that'd be it..
    I can't drink dark spirits without being ill.

I'm a bit a of a lightweight nowadays lol! Usen't always be the case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Alcohol abuse? Not in the slightest, enjoying some time off work.

The coming week is going to be even heavier with a week away for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Don't drink alcohol anymore. Tried cutting down and it didn't work.
    LIfe is a breeze without the hangover. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Seriously Nox that's a scary level of binge drinking. Obviously it's your life and you're free to do as you please but you're deluded if you think you can drink that volume of alcohol on a regular basis and not cause your body serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gave up drinking a couple of years ago, mainly for mental health reasons, but the older I get, the more I realise how much of a problem it is in this country. Be safe folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Used to be at least one bottle every evening. Had to give up drinking for nearly a year and couldnt get back into the same rythem. I'd have maybe one or two drinks during the week, a bottle of wine the odd Saturday night. Don't really go out anymore. Have no interest

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Seriously Nox that's a scary level of binge drinking. Obviously it's your life and you're free to do as you please but you're deluded if you think you can drink that volume of alcohol on a regular basis and not cause your body serious damage.

It was actually fairly conservative compared to this week in previous years, think the most I had on any one day was 8 or 9 pints. Next coming week could be a different story though.

Also if you read my post that not a normal week, these are big weeks that occur a few times a year a normal week is as I described it in my first post. A normal week is probably 10 to 20 pints.

Talk about over reacting! Nearly my entire group of friends (both from home and work) would be spending their days in the doctors surgery if they were prone to this type of overreacting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I drink about 10 pints every 4-6 weeks.all in one sitting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm not sure why people seem to be in disbelief at the amount Kara Jealous Word drinks. From my observations on trips home to Ireland extremely heavy drinking seems to be the norm amongst a great deal of Irish people.

Weddings in particular seem to be occasions when Irish people cannot seem to demonstrate even a modicum of restraint. Red-faced men with their burgeoning bellies protruding over their ill-fitting pants. Jackets and ties removed due to profuse sweating. Putting away pint after pint of foul tasting brown ale well in to the early hours. Yet these same specimens have the temerity to criticise me for only drinking one glass of wine and one after dinner digestif. "What's wrong Aongus? Do they not have beer over in Germany. Wheh wheh wheh." Fat fools!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Very little.

I was in Lanzarote last month and had 2 pints each night for a week, haven't touched a drop in 3 weeks now.

Overall I am drinking far less now and compared to my 20's. I am considering knocking it on the head altogether, alcohol does nothing for me and it has taken me over 10 years to come this realization.

Weddings in particular seem to be occasions when Irish people cannot seem to demonstrate even a modicum of restraint................

Lots of guests are only invited to make up the numbers, bums on seats (cash in cards) and most know it and only go as they don't like refusing invitations. Make the best of it by eating like a pig and having guts of 20 pints with the lads :)

So it's just a piss up really for many :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭AidanadiA

I used to drink a lot but 1 drink would have the same effect as 6 so about 4 years ago I just stopped asking for the Rum in my Ginger Ale. No-one notices unless they are buying me a drink, but I tend to go with the line that I've just had one and need to top my drink up with Ginger Ale. A few of my friends hate going out drinking with non drinkers, so I just don't say it to anyone.

Before that I could have 8 or 10 rum's every time I'd go out which was once every 3 - 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of guests are only invited to make up the numbers, bums on seats (cash in cards) and most know it and only go as they don't like refusing invitations. Make the best of it by eating like a pig and having guts of 20 pints with the lads :)

So it's just a piss up really for many :)

I've never understood the appeal of a "piss-up".

At the wedding in question I enjoyed the food for what it was (very poor quality salmon in a gloopy hollandaise sauce), had a glass of wine with the meal. I chatted with some of my elderly relatives. Myself and my partner had a pleasant dance before the floor was invaded by drunken gobdaws with no rythmn falling around the place.

I was in bed by 12.30 and was up by 6.30 for my morning run (interval session). Incredibly, some of the sows from the night before were still up in the "residents bar". Totally incoherently drunk. Pestering some poor lounge boy for more gin and tonics. I told them exactly how foolish they looked and for them to go to bed immediately. Thankfully they had left by the time I returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The 'I never drink at home' remark seems to be a nice get out clause for many functional alcoholics.

As if drinking at home is a sign of someone with a problem, rather than the 30 pints they would have at 'events'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Funny how?

Oh some will get away with it for sure, the body is remarkably resilient and can take a lot of self abuse. People get away with it less and less with age. And for many men, its their 40s when the health problems really begin to show up.

I am simply pointing out the objective facts, whether or not you wish to follow up with a health check is your own business. Try telling a doctor what you have posted here and see what they tell you.

Edited to add - I appreciate the 45 pint week isnt the normal week - but even a 20 pint week is 43.7 units in a week which again is well above the recommended limits.

Do you think the recommended limits are unreasonable?

Im 29 and drink probably 20 pints a week since I was 18. Still fit, still play sports and not a bother on my health. Usually 6 or 7 on Friday, 10 on Saturday and four or five on sunday.

If your drinking a pint an hour your grand, if your guzzling 3 or four pints an hour with shots etc it's a different ball game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The 'I never drink at home' remark seems to be a nice get out clause for many functional alcoholics.

As if drinking at home is a sign of someone with a problem, rather than the 30 pints they would have at 'events'.

I never drink at home, not saying it as a 'get out clause' but I have no interest in drinking at home. I like going out and having drinks in a social situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

Well, howdy-doodilly neighbourino. You sound Flantastic fun.

Yes, I can be flantasticly fun. Is there a need to drink to be fun? he-he...

I've never understood the appeal of a "piss-up".

At the wedding in question I enjoyed the food for what it was (very poor quality salmon in a gloopy hollandaise sauce), had a glass of wine with the meal. I chatted with some of my elderly relatives. Myself and my partner had a pleasant dance before the floor was invaded by drunken gobdaws with no rythmn falling around the place.

I was in bed by 12.30 and was up by 6.30 for my morning run (interval session). Incredibly, some of the sows from the night before were still up in the "residents bar". Totally incoherently drunk. Pestering some poor lounge boy for more gin and tonics. I told them exactly how foolish they looked and for them to go to bed immediately. Thankfully they had left by the time I returned.

Because a piss-up is mighty craic! If I was at that wedding I was one of the lads still in the residents bar at 6:30 and if you saw anyone in the bar around 11am after breakfast getting started on the beer again for the day then that may have been me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

4 or 5 drinks on a work night then any amount on the weekend

I like me booze

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very little compared to what I used to.
    I have a lovely drinks cabinet though at home now and I do love a vodka/gin and tonic, or a couple of beers/ciders (nice ones not Bulmers) on Friday or Saturday but rarely go out drinking these days.
    I don't think I have had a hangover for about 3 months and that was a wedding in south Africa at a vineyard with an open bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Nothing worse than going down to breakfast with kids after a wedding and some unwashed stinking alcoholics are still having their extended session, propping up the bar 'having the craic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Because a piss-up is mighty craic! If I was at that wedding I was one of the lads still in the residents bar at 6:30 and if you saw anyone in the bar around 11am after breakfast getting started on the beer again for the day then that may have been me too :D

I don't know how you (they) physically do it! I would be like Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke trying to scoff the boiled eggs.

I couldn't drink more than 6 pints in an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

1-2 drinks (either 330ml beer or G&T) most days then maybe 2/3 of a bottle of wine on Sunday with dinner. Never any more than that, being drunk (and hungover) is horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Stop being such a squarepants

Advertisement