Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you drink?

Options
  • 08-08-2017 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

So recently I decided to totally cut out alcohol in an attempt to both save money and get fit. Never really was a huge drinker anyway, but with work events, client dinners, family visits, nights out with friends etc - those two gin and tonics here or few glasses of prosecco there would begin to add up.

This has led to some astonishingly social awkward situations and a real eye-opener in terms of how deeply ingrained alcohol is into the fibre of our culture, as well as just how much other people drink on a regular basis. Well above the recommended 14 units a week for most regular drinkers is what Ive observed.

So I'm interest in a general poll. How much do you drink in any given week AH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

0. haven't had a drink in 20 years. i pretty much never find it awkward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I tried to work it out but my calculator fell into my pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Too much for my liver, but not enough to fix my problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

I don't drink any alcohol at all and if anyone ever saw it as a problem i'd simply tell them to go fck themselves. i've never believed in social pressures...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Probably between 4-8 pints a week albeit most months, I have two 'dry' weeks so that's usually every second weekend and sometimes it's over 2-3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

5-7 pints in a night once every three/four weeks is the average these days - as an aging man this gets me very tipsy (not drunk) but leaves a groggy hangover rendering me unfit for living the next day to the point where it is not worth it to (a) do this often and (b) drink more than this.

A glass or two of wine twice per week is the norm.

Like the OP, my reasons for cutting down from binge-drinking as I did in my early 20s are health and cost related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Hmm I don't drink that often, maybe once or twice a month. I have to be careful when I drink though, I can have one or two and leave it but every once in a while (probably every couple of years now), I get black out drunk and do something stupid/make a fool of myself and then I cop myself on for another couple of years. Part of the reason that I don't go on nights out that often. I usually drink spirits so that doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Nil by mouth ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

^^^
    Suppository? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Recently about one session a month which would involve 8-10 pints give or take and maybe a few shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

It could easily be over 10 pints with a few shots for good measure, that would be the same for a few of my mates. If I go out on a Saturday night I usually end up drinking all day Sunday and drinking the same amount at a slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I had two bottles of beer at Christmas (not on the same night)

I was on holidays in June, I had 2 bottles of beer 4 of the nights and one night I went completely apeshít mental and had 3 bottles.

I haven't had a drink since.

So this year I've had 11 bottles of beer (Corona incidentally) as the drinks at Christmas were actually in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

More than I should, less than I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lightweights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I had 3 large bottles of San Miguel last Saturday. That's a decent bit more than I would have regularly had in a sitting over the last couple of years.

I felt it Sunday morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Probably too much. At least one night of the weekend I'd have 8 cans or so, plus a few pints in the pub. Midweek could have a few pints in the pub too. Should probably take a break for a few weeks... do have 8 cans sitting in the fridge though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have 3 cans of Guinness once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Not quite 30 pints or more pintman stuff but I'd say I have drank 20+ pints on numerous occasions. Mid 30 male can drink from lunchtime to closing no problem at approx 30 mins a pint. A usual night out would be 12 pints or so. Any more I'd feel it next day but around the dirty dozen I tend to be ok. If I don't really want to drink loads I swap out my usual Guinness for pint bottles of Bulmers with ice and don't go in rounds. Just at my own slow pace.
    Drank every weekend of my life up to the last year or so now I just do it when there is an event
    on. I just got fed up of it. Don't just go to the pub because it's Saturday anymore. No social issues with it but aware of the health issues of doubling weekly allowance in one sitting.
    Would never drink at home. Not even a single drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A few times during the year I could polish off half a bottle of whiskey in one evening. Sunday night was the last time and up for work at 5.30 the following morning only slightly groggy.

I don´t have big nights out or sessions. I´m lucky that I can have one and leave it at that. I could have four pints over a weekend and I might have another pint on a random day of the week. I´m not able to manage drunkenness anymore. I end up vomiting and then passing out. Too old for that craic.

I'm a very occasional drinker, and as I get older it's less and less worth the bother as I tolerate it less and less. I think I've had a single glass of wine this year, so far.

I don't find it awkward though, never have really. Some people will go on a bit about it but that's their issue. People can think that you're watching what they drink and judging them but the reality is I don't care what or how much anyone else drinks, it's their business.

I do have to be careful how I talk about it sometimes, people can jump on any perceived sanctimony.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

8-10 pints on a Saturday night, and a the same on a Sunday, I may have 2 or 3 pint bottles of beer one or 2 nights a week also.

I drink to much but I enjoy it although I have been trying to cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A single or double whiskey once or twice a week. Maybe a bottle of beer once a week.

Rarely more than that, but sometimes less. Last week, nothing at all...just didn't feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

My dad told me never to trust anyone who did not have a drink. So I try to come across as very trusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

None. I'm the child of an ex-alcoholic, ruined the family. This makes it sore and I don't enjoy it. Doesn't bother me though when other drink.

LirW wrote: »
    None. I'm the child of an ex-alcoholic, ruined the family. This makes it sore and I don't enjoy it. Doesn't bother me though when other drink.

I'm really sorry to hear that, I can see how it would affect your own relationship with it.

Sometimes I've been asked if I have a 'problem' when I say I don't drink, and it always surprised me. I just say my only problem is that I don't really like the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I just say my only problem is that I don't really like the taste.

That's what I usually say. No need to explain the whole story.

Advertisement