Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭golfball37

anyone know of a website, where they show prime shows/movies that are about to expire?

Justwatch.com is good for seeing all the streaming services and what’s coming and ending soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finished season 9 of the X-Files. This one felt like a chore to get through a times, particularly in the first half, but it had its moments (some spoilers below).

Interesting to read the discussion above about episodes not being available as I found that to be the case here - the actual two-part finale was not available! I find that pretty outrageous. Luckily, I have Disney Plus so I was able to watch it on that, but I'd feel sorry for someone that made it all the way to the end on Prime and couldn't see the conclusion. Maybe it's a temporary omission on Prime's part, I dunno.

The season starts promisingly enough. I had forgotten Lucy Lawless was on the show. Apparently, the plan was for her to be a recurring character but she had a high-risk pregnancy so that idea got scrapped. Brad Follmer is a nice, unlikeable character but I was disappointed his story arc doesn't really get any sort of significant pay-off. Totally forgot Burt Reynolds is in an episode. It was alright.

Scully feels like a big third wheel in this season and the focus on Mulder - who doesn't show until the finale - begins to get tiresome. I really liked Doggett by the end of this and I feel he was a worthy addition to the show. I would have liked to learn more about Reyes. I think their X-Files partnership worked reasonably well but I didn't feel the romantic chemistry was there. It's not a patch on Mulder and Scully's.

I feel Doggett and Reyes were let down by poor episodes and the Super Soldier arc never really goes anywhere. There were some good ones like the 'Release' episode where Doggett gets some closure on his son. 'Audrey Pauley' is an interesting episode with Reyes trapped in her mind. I also enjoyed '4-D' which has a parallel universe storyline. 'Sunshine House' about the Brady Bunch house is fun but it felt like a Mulder and Scully story to me with Doggett and Reyes shoehorned in.

The Lone Gunmen episode was odd as I was sure that Mulder and Scully were the ones there for the trio's final moment, but I had misremembered as it wasn't either of them. It's a shame Mulder wasn't there for this given the history, although he does have a moment of sorts with them in the finale.

Speaking of the finale, I remembered it as being an epic, brilliant episode from when I first saw it, but watching it all these years later I found it quite dull for almost all of it up until the final twenty minutes or so. I guess they wanted to find a way to explain everything that went on in the previous 9 years, but even with the recap, the mythology still sounds very confusing. I had completely forgotten Kersh's moment of redemption in this which was great, but it felt very rushed. It all happened in about two minutes. I enjoyed the reference to the first episode in the final moments. Favourite moment was the helicopter part.

Overall, not the greatest season but the characters are still likeable to me. I'm glad they didn't end it here. Planning now to watch the 2008 film which I've never seen, and then hopefully carry on into season 10 - provided the episodes are available.

9 is slightly unfortunate in a few ways, I think, though some of it's self-inflicted (the writing and the mytharc). They were trying the pairing of Doggett and Reyes as a new thing. Then terrorists flew planes into the buildings* and it became seriously uncool to question government which was really in the show's DNA from the Watergate era. Really, just a combination of factors that made it difficult to see the show having a future. Funnily enough, on the DVD set it says starring 'Monica Reyes', rather than Annabeth Gish. The joke online at the time was Reyes would pronounce Scully as Skolly or something to that effect. iirc, I didn't comment on your response to 8, so I'll just go with another thing that came up online at the time.
    It felt like Scully's pregnancy was 11-14 months or something crazy.
    I was a big Doggett fan from the jump, fwiw. Back to 9, though, yeah the finale stank to high Heaven. Really considering what TV finales have offered us over the years from Six Feet Under, to the Americans, there's not really a damn thing worthy about TXF one. It felt so unmemorable and frustrating almost 20 years ago. Duchovny was always more optimistic that the show would continue with the odd feature, but things got bogged down in lawsuits (such is Hollywood).

There were some pretty legendary sites online back in the day. I don't know how many are still up.

This one I only spotted in more recent years. http://www.eatthecorn.com

*Famously, the Lone Gunmen series has a plotline about this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finished season 10 of the X-Files. I take back saying season 9 was a chore to get through as I found this much tougher. I really didn't like this season at all, and by the finale I hated it. I don't think I was this opposed to this season when I first watched it, but when you watch it on the back of the previous seasons it really doesn't sit well at all.

The mythology episodes are an absolute mess. The season finale is one of the worst episodes of the show I've ever seen and must be the worst mythology instalment ever. I hated what they did to Reyes' character. In season 9 they hint at a future for her and Doggett and I liked that idea but what they went with instead is just infuriating to me. And the way you know who was brought back feels even worse than those memes about Palpatine's return. The way it was handled in season 9 was perfect. This just ruins all that. I'm glad Robert Patrick didn't come back as at least they couldn't mess about with Doggett.

The monster-of-the-week episodes felt too similar to previous episodes, and to make matters worse we have Scully constantly dealing with emotional breakdowns. Gillian Anderson was so animated and lively when the show was at its peak and a great counter to Mulder's laid back demeanour, but here she just seems so jaded, and so they both look like they're going through the motions.

The only episode I liked was the Darin Morgan-penned episode about the were-monster. That was funny and contained many nice references to previous episodes for fans. I think that's the only episode from this season I'd be willing to watch again.

In previous seasons when the episodes weren't there, I felt the characters helped make it somewhat watchable because I was willing to root for them. But that's not quite the case here. Skinner may as well not be featured as he offers little, and the less said about Miller and Einstein the better. Bringing popular characters back didn't work for me and took away from the show.

I also disliked the camera work. It doesn't have the feel of what I'd consider proper X-Files episodes. I guess they wanted to try something a bit different but it only served to make me more aware of the difference of what went before. Sad to say but I think they would have been better off leaving it alone.

There are some episodes of season 11 I haven't seen, so I feel I need to watch it to complete everything. I do, however, remember the finale and I am not looking forward to seeing that again...

There were rumours of a revival for years. My memory at the time is it only became definite after Gillian went on the Nerdist podcast, then it really seemed to firm up. She had to fight for pay equality again too.

10 had a few issues that didn't help. No Frank Spotnitz or Vince Gilligan due to commitments elsewhere. I once saw a suggestion that the former may have helped to moderate Chris Carter's worst tendencies, given he joined the writing staff during the second season and often wrote or co-wrote mythology episodes. Had he and Gilligan been on board would it have been a better season? Impossible to know I think. I've my own thoughts about wishing Fox would have been more hands on and told Carter to cop on. A single showrunner all the way through a show's existence (for better or for worse) is less common now, they chop and change all of the time. The show's legacy is hugely tainted due to how the mythology is perceived, but I think Spotnitz and Carter would both defend it as coherent, when in its later years we know it's more like a house of cards and puff of wind would knock it over. I don't like to be too negative about the show as it was my youth, essentially. There were some others issues with 10, I've a memory of a critic or critics only being given access to one episode, that's really poor form, but probably nothing to do with Carter, in fairness. Had they more taken more time maybe the output would have been better. Gillian's performance I found weird and intentionally whispery (seriously, wtf?) and it felt so wide of the mark for Scully who was generally direct and not afraid of challenging Mulder, bad ass Scully does exist too. My heart and mind are still captured by the show from 93-2002, I don't know if I'd jump straight into 10 on a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

There were rumours of a revival for years. My memory at the time is it only became definite after Gillian went on the Nerdist podcast, then it really seemed to firm up. She had to fight for pay equality again too.

10 had a few issues that didn't help. No Frank Spotnitz or Vince Gilligan due to commitments elsewhere. I once saw a suggestion that the former may have helped to moderate Chris Carter's worst tendencies, given he joined the writing staff during the second season and often wrote or co-wrote mythology episodes. Had he and Gilligan been on board would it have been a better season? Impossible to know I think. I've my own thoughts about wishing Fox would have been more hands on and told Carter to cop on. A single showrunner all the way through a show's existence (for better or for worse) is less common now, they chop and change all of the time. The show's legacy is hugely tainted due to how the mythology is perceived, but I think Spotnitz and Carter would both defend it as coherent, when in its later years we know it's more like a house of cards and puff of wind would knock it over. I don't like to be too negative about the show as it was my youth, essentially. There were some others issues with 10, I've a memory of a critic or critics only being given access to one episode, that's really poor form, but probably nothing to do with Carter, in fairness. Had they more taken more time maybe the output would have been better. Gillian's performance I found weird and intentionally whispery (seriously, wtf?) and it felt so wide of the mark for Scully who was generally direct and not afraid of challenging Mulder, bad ass Scully does exist too. My heart and mind are still captured by the show from 93-2002, I don't know if I'd jump straight into 10 on a rewatch.

Once Duchovney decided he was leaving they should have ended the show with season 7. The replacement characters were abysmal and the magic was gone.

I will rewatch someday but for me it ends with Season 7. I do like the second movie too.

Season 10 was okay but the alien/government storylines were weak. The standalone stories were good although the were-monster one was too wacky.

Season 11 is terrible. Most of the time they were taking the piss out the whole thing. The Lone Gunman stuck in VR and the homicidal smart restaurant were woeful but the Forehead Sweat episode is a crime against television.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I heard about but I thought the writer of the article was confused.

So Bosch is ending but Amazon have a new show coming that will have Bosch in the lead but the show isn’t Bosch ?
    No they were right.
    No title yet but he is in it...as are a lot of the other cast.
    https://bleedingcool.com/tv/bosch-michael-connelly-offers-details-on-imdb-tv-spinoff-series/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

I heard about but I thought the writer of the article was confused.

So Bosch is ending but Amazon have a new show coming that will have Bosch in the lead but the show isn’t Bosch ?

While have yet to see S7, I fully expect him to follow in the footsteps of 1,001 other maverick cops before him by quitting the force and coming back as a poorly - and rarely ever paid - PI

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Night owl gal

golfball37 wrote: »
    Justwatch.com is good for seeing all the streaming services and what’s coming and ending soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Justwatch is an excellent resource no doubt but I at least can't locate leaving items within the site I'll need to be pointed in the direction but suspect its not a thing??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished Season 11 of the X-Files, and in doing so have completed every single season and episode. I thought I had missed several episodes from this one when it originally aired, but it turns out I just missed the first half of the penultimate one, 'Nothing Lasts Forever'. I think that was when RTE were showing it in the graveyard slot.

I thought this was another poor season and I have a big problem with how they treated several of the characters. I also don't like how they essentially made a mockery of everything that had been done in Season 9. For example, why is Kersh back to being a dismissive arse when he put everything on the line to help Mulder and Scully? I loved his redemptive moment but it counts for nothing now. The treatment of Reyes really infuriates me and they've done the character a terrible disservice. I know she wasn't popular with many fans but she deserved better than this. And I really, really hate that they brought back the Smoking Man the way they did. The way he went out in Season 9 was best left alone in my view. I do like the way they took the storyline involving him and William, and how it played into an episode in an earlier season, but I don't think they needed to bring him back to explore that. I would have preferred if he had left a VHS tape behind from before he died revealing everything and essentially tormenting Mulder and Scully from beyond the grave. I could have bought that more than the way they did it.

The mythology episodes are a big let-down again with characters essentially running off and not communicating information that could have solved them a lot of trouble. William is hard to like as a character, and Scully's handling of the final episode feels strange and out of sync considering how she had behaved before. The monster-of-the-week episodes had mostly misses than hits I thought. I normally like Darin Morgan episodes but The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat was probably my least favourite of his. As for others, the restaurant episode seems to have been popular with fans but I found it wearisome. Best episode this season for me was probably 'Familiar' - the one with Mr. Chuckleteeth - as it reminded me of some of the early season episodes when they went quite dark with the plot. I also liked 'Plus One', which involved the telepathic twins. For the most part, though, things didn't feel like 'proper' X-Files. Scully's character again feels drained a lot of the time, and the comment mentioned above about her croaky voice came to mind watching many episodes. It also occurred to me how Mulder and Scully don't seem to have anyone else in their lives any more. In earlier seasons, you had the likes of the Lone Gunmen, Scully's mother and brother, Pendrell, Mulder's friend at the Bureau, Chuck. Scully also had friends in Doggett and Reyes when Mulder was gone. Now they don't appear to have anyone but themselves, and they're still reluctant to trust Skinner. The show could have done with adding some more characters, not just to give the protagonists a life, but to add some more warmth to the show.

Would I want a season 12 of the X-Files? Only if they could bring back some of the original writers and provide an interesting spin on the mytology episodes which have been poor for a long time now. What else can be said about aliens? They've exhausted almost everything. Maybe tie it into the Covid-19 pandemic somehow? I think there could be more mileage in the monster-of-the-week stuff. I'd be interested in another standalone movie. My hopes wouldn't be too high for whatever comes next but I'm pretty sure I'd give it a watch all the same.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

There was an article a while ago, the chatter at the time inferred that Carter was throwing Gillian under the bus. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a849103/x-files-chris-carter-season-11-gillian-anderson/ Not sure if this is it. Anyway, she's essentially done with Scully (as in, things being done to women's bodies, iirc) and I can't really blame her, a pretty big eye roll moment late in 11. The hyper scrutiny that hits shows now, live, on social media, isn't really my cup of tea, but some of the comments were reasonable and again, I don't think Carter's responses helped matters.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I've really enjoyed reading your mini-reviews of the seasons. Season 9 ended very poorly for me, I hated the "lets try to explain absolutely everything in minute detail" approach. It felt like the writers were bending over backwards to try and make sense of all the convoluted and conflicting mythology episodes from the previous seasons, even if it ended up being contradictory to older plots. However, season 9 for me is where the show will always end. As excited as I was about a return of the show for season 10, I thought 10 and 11 were absolutely abysmal. The writing, pace, editing, direction, it all felt off. As you said yourself, I hated their treatment of certain characters they brought back and was particularly appalled at their handling of poor Monica!

Overall, the X-Files was a ground-breaking show for the time and had some truly classic episodes over the course of its run. The mythology episodes were quite compelling to start with, but as it went on I found the monster of the week (or just standalone episodes) more enjoyable. I will always remember the show fondly.

Sadly, I think it was perhaps a victim of its own success in that it ended up running for far too many seasons and bringing it back for another two seasons only served to compound this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Can anyone with an Irish PrimeVideo sub confirm whether the following titles can be streamed ?

Movie : The Ides of March

Series : When Eagles Dare

I can watch both on my smartphone but not on Smart TV. I have just one PrimeVideo account.

I feel it may be region related and also payment method.

For some reason (possibly my own mistake) I may have changed from using my Revolut card to my VISA debit for Amazon digital content payment perhaps 2 months ago or so.

The sub is up to date and paid for - the odd thing being that some content (that Justwatch IE or Justwatch UK ) says I should be able to see is not streamable on either fire stick or Samsung smart TV on the same account.

Those examples above are just some of the missing content. Most of the very mainstream series, etc are there fine on both phone and smart TV.

Just these oddities

Both there yeah, although Ides of March will be leaving in a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Many thanks for checking that @Wrongway1985.

So, you are on a ROI PrimeVideo sub. That is interesting.

Has anyone experience of dealing with Amazon customer service on account related stuff like this ?

My account is a bit confusing because it probably started out as a UK one , Revolut card for payment, etc.

I had ParcelMotel as my address for deliveries, etc but that changed obviously post-Brexit. I live in ROI.

If I had a choice I'd prefer the UK region but I believe that the differences are quite small.

However, currently I seem to be in a no-mans land territory where I am missing (albeit a small amount) of content that I should be able to stream if I was either ROI or UK. Are they contactable by phone or all live chat , etc ? What's the best way to contact them on such matters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know if Prime wlll allow you enter your login details on a Firestick that is owned by someone else in their house and watch it there or is that blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Firestick has the prime video app. You can log in any account you want to on this. It doesn't have to be the same account as the Firestick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Vamp starring Grace Jones is on Amazon Prime. This was one of my favourite films as a kid, must give it a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Looks like I might be having a similar issue. I can no longer seem to watch “The walking dead world beyond” I have been watching it up till last week. Although I can see it. When I go to play it I get an error message. “Something went wrong”

Anyone else having this issue. I have onto support twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Every device. APTV, Xbox, iPhone and TV. Tried the iPhone on different networks and 4g. Same result.

I see the new Guy Ritchie film is coming to Amazon prime wrath of man, I thought that would get a cinema release tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone had success using Amazon Household to share Prime video across two different houses? Tried it last night to watch the Premier League but couldnt get it to work and its caused havoc with Echo devices sending notifications from one house to another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Potentially not a great sign; any time I read of a movie that has moved from a cinema release to a pure streaming one, flags go up. Almost like streaming has become the January dumping ground of yore. Last one being Infinite, a Mark Wahlberg vehicle & real turd of a film that Amazon scooped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wrath of Man already got a cinema release I thought??

Reviews seem a bit mixed 66 percent on rotten tomatoes and 57 percent on metacritic. But it has made decent if not amazing money at the box office in other countries, trailer looks solid.

I only lasted about 15 minutes of that awful mark wahlberg one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is it worth changing to UK Prime Video? Is it possible?

There's more titles currently on Prime Ireland (Included in subscription) and the differences appear minimal otherwise.

Unless you're specifically after stuff like the Handmaid's Tale (free currently on All4 anyway), Arrow, Lucifer or whatever 2 or 3 rounds left of Premier League fixtures it doesn't need bothering with now, pre-brexit people got more bang for the auld switcheroo but it's not the case anymore.

• Advertisement

Just to correct what your saying here.....the handmaid's tale is now gone from all4...My other half was ploughing through it got two episodes from the end of season 4 and it was pulled

Advertisement