Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC 4 tonight 9pm "from ice to fire explores the incredible science of cold and how it has shaped our planet"
    10pm Wild weather - wind
    11pm the history of weather forecasting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

BBC 4 tonight 9pm "from ice to fire explores the incredible science of cold and how it has shaped our planet"
    10pm Wild weather - wind
    11pm the history of weather forecasting

Thanks for letting me know Oscar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

U.K. met office outlook has changed slightly
    It now says

Temperatures will be around average for the time of year to begin. However, it will turn much colder by the end of the week and into the following week, as the wind tends to turn east or southeasterly in direction. Wintry showers may develop,with the potential for some significant snowfalls focused on southern, central or eastern areas. The location and intensity of any snowfall will be uncertain until much nearer the time. However, some milder unsettled weather still may occur at times, especially in the west.

The southeasterly wind element is new as is the some milder unsettled weather in the west ( us basically )
    There’s a whiff of 2012 about this update

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

U.K. met office outlook has changed slightly
    It now says

Temperatures will be around average for the time of year to begin. However, it will turn much colder by the end of the week and into the following week, as the wind tends to turn east or southeasterly in direction. Wintry showers may develop,with the potential for some significant snowfalls focused on southern, central or eastern areas. The location and intensity of any snowfall will be uncertain until much nearer the time. However, some milder unsettled weather still may occur at times, especially in the west.

The southeasterly wind element is new as is the some milder unsettled weather in the west ( us basically )
    There’s a whiff of 2012 about this update

Indeed. This could still go the way of many past failed easterlies. It would be a sickner if the ECM is leading the way on this, given its poor performance of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mixed sleet and snow shower here in West Clare, been mainly hail and rain last night and today.

• Advertisement

Little changes in the stratosphere today at both levels, just a small spike down at 30hPa and that's it. Staying very warm.

6i77OiJ.gif

rxMdz2z.gif

See for yourself some of the very high stratosphere temperatures here, rather balmy!

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/10hPa/overlay=temp/orthographic=-1.12,85.92,373/loc=-136.451,86.675

I haven't posted the model charts in about a week now. These are the GFS 12z charts for Friday next week and the very end of the run.

Still very warm in the stratosphere even by the 23rd, between -20 and -40 over much of Greenland and northern Canada. This is very impressive for the stratosphere how the warmth holds on this long because you can't sustain those kinds of temperatures for very long.

ypZ1Pgt.png

And the end of the run..... where's the Polar Vortex gone? :D

9VWRAQw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pad199207

Indeed. This could still go the way of many past failed easterlies. It would be a sickner if the ECM is leading the way on this, given its poor performance of late.

Yep an increasing number of people now thinking the ECM is the formhorse and I’m one of them.

Too many people sucked into thinking that a SSW event automatically means significant cold for this part of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jesus the wind in Edinburgh would cut ya in two
    Baltic

See, the thing that always pushes me off of believing the cold blob in the Atlantic (though it is an ugly fecker to look at) is the cause for it is how the 80s was like. Look at this example from May 1985 which was then followed by an extraordinary cold November and February. Far from a tripole there and instead, just a very cold Atlantic, especially over towards Newfoundland.

I guess you could give the argument that this was during the negative phase of the AMO though.

I do think he's incorrect on some information though like saying it's "impossible" to get cold in this kind of setup. For example, Winter 1990-91 was during a time of high solar activity, it was around solar maximum. The NAO was positive during much of the season including February 1991. The AO was positive too. It had a SSW to compensate in January 1991 however.

Whilst yes it is interesting, I do disagree with some of his points. This has been the coldest Winter since 2014-15 for some and in parts of Scotland, it has been the coldest Winter since 2010-11 after all. Scotland would ya believe had a few ice days in January.

I have to admit this, I am a bit downed myself on the UKMO forecast update today.

May.85.anomaly.gif

• Advertisement

I have to say M.T. Craniums winter forecast was spot on when you think about it. Some people have seen more snow this winter than they normally would. Back home they've had snow on the ground on seven different occasions. And mountainy man has had so much snow he seems to be sick of snow now:mad: :pac:

I have to say M.T. Craniums winter forecast was spot on when you think about it. Some people have seen more snow this winter than they normally would. Back home they've had snow on the ground on seven different occasions. And mountainy man has had so much snow he seems to be sick of snow now:mad: :pac:

I've had 8 days with at least one snowflake this Winter compared to 0 in 2016-17 (yes I didn't even get one on 12 January 2017), 2 in 2015-16, 2 in 2014-15 (which weren't even in Winter, they were Spring), 1 in 2013-14.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    See, the thing that always pushes me off of believing the cold blob in the Atlantic (though it is an ugly fecker to look at) is the cause for it is how the 80s was like. Look at this example from May 1985 which was then followed by an extraordinary cold November and February. Far from a tripole there and instead, just a very cold Atlantic, especially over towards the eastern seaboard of the US.

I guess you could give the argument that this was during the negative phase of the AMO though.

I do think he's incorrect on some information though like saying it's "impossible" to get cold in this kind of setup. For example, Winter 1990-91 was during a time of high solar activity, it was around solar maximum. The NAO was positive during much of the season including February 1991. The AO was positive too. It had a SSW to compensate in January 1991 however.

Whilst yes it is interesting, I do disagree with some of his points. This has been the coldest Winter since 2014-15 for some and in parts of Scotland, it has been the coldest Winter since 2010-11 after all. Scotland would ya believe had a few ice days in January.

I have to admit this, I am a bit downed myself on the UKMO forecast update today.

May.85.anomaly.gif

That's a very good point about February 1991. As you say Scotland, and us to a lesser extent, have had many cold outbreaks. On reflection his post was quite south east england oritentated, if you get me.
    It is a bad update from the UKMO because it likely means only England will see continental cold, and even there the milder weather may shunt it back to the continent.
    I hope we all get to see some dry snow before the end of the month, but i'm not very optimistic at this stage.

This is what I'm trying to get at when I say it's never too late for snow in Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All white here again with a depth of heavy hailstones. Im getting used to the ground being white at this stage, twice today already and four or five times in the past week.

I think a break from model watching for myself to focus on the Irish Weather Statistics thread is in order especially given the headache I've developed from it. Model watching isn't for the faint hearted as a friend of mine told me - he was certainly right.

I think a break from model watching for myself to focus on the Irish Weather Statistics thread is in order especially given the headache I've developed from it. .

We both know that's not going to happen;)

We both know that's not going to happen;)

The European Crap Model shows an easterly, surprise surprise. Sorry I mean ECM!

Just watch tomorrow, other models will go towards it and the ECM will go the other way. I’m calling it. Not going to bother looking though cause I am taking a break! :D

This is what I'm trying to get at when I say it's never too late for snow in Spring.

I had forgotten to say that this snow in April 2008 - March 2008 had some significant cold and snowfalls too - was preceded by a SSW in February that year - have a look at my SSW table a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Well it’s bloomin’ baltic in D18 this evening. Brought the dogs for a walk and the wind would cut through you like a knife. Temp is 3.2 but feels like -3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

No snow here in Wicklow near sea level this winter. Was hoping for a nice easterly blast next week.... if it doesn’t transpire, feck it, roll on spring- a nice easterly in June and July would be nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

For those who need a laugh break, these are the models right now ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/foilarmsandhog/videos/10159951162890335/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport reporting light snow and a temperature just below 0c at 23:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Cork airport reporting light snow and a temperature just below 0c at 23:30.

seeing as we had a mix of rain/snow down a bit lower at that time id say its right. Just looked out my window and saw the gritter truck going by! Didn't think it was meant to get that cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

All I'm hoping for at this stage is an easterly moderate breeze,so I can get some nice surfing conditions.

Snow would be a bonus, I'm living in the Burren,not far from the sea maybe, 15 minutes drive,but the valleys and commonage are very cold,as they are hidden from the westerly winds,well some of them anyways.

So hopefully soon it'll be surfs up....

South westerly for fishing,easterly or glassy conditions for surfing.

A few days of frost for fishing for flatfish and whiting...

The weather effects shore fishing too, I remember during the cold spell in 2010 fishing at night off the rocks along the flats near Ballyvaughan,and it was offshore no swell.
    The whiting were everywhere,couldnt catch anything else.

Anyhow I know this is about the weather but I'm just mentioning how it effects the movement and behavior of fish etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

All I'm hoping for at this stage is an easterly moderate breeze,so I can get some nice surfing conditions.

Snow would be a bonus, I'm living in the Burren,not far from the sea maybe, 15 minutes drive,but the valleys and commonage are very cold,as they are hidden from the westerly winds,well some of them anyways.

So hopefully soon it'll be surfs up....

South westerly for fishing,easterly or glassy conditions for surfing.

A few days of frost for fishing for flatfish and whiting...

The weather effects shore fishing too, I remember during the cold spell in 2010 fishing at night off the rocks along the flats near Ballyvaughan,and it was offshore no swell.
    The whiting were everywhere,couldnt catch anything else.

Anyhow I know this is about the weather but I'm just mentioning how it effects the movement and behavior of fish etc

If you can find a model that outputs fish patterns, you're in the right thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Yr.no showing easterly and snow for next weekend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Just wondering at what point we could have a Beast from the East thread for next week?
    Maybe one of the mods could answer? Thanks so much!

Advertisement