Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's different for metars and synops. In metars, it's the prevailing visibility (the greatest visibility over at least 50% of the horizon/airfield), whereas in synops it's the lowest visibility in any one direction. Synop visibility will therefore tend to be lower than metars, on average, though in fog like today there is no difference.

Visibility is defined as the furthest distance at which an object can be clearly made out.

Thanks for that. I was wondering about the airports specifically because I guess they have runway lights that are going to be visible further out, and that's what would be more important to operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I was wondering about the airports specifically because I guess they have runway lights that are going to be visible further out, and that's what would be more important to operations.

In that case it's the RVR that's important

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway_visual_range?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,542 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In that case it's the RVR that's important

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runway_visual_range?wprov=sfla1

Is that what is used as visibility in the METARs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is that what is used as visibility in the METARs?

No. Both are used when the RVR goes below 2000 m.

e.g. This is Shannon's latest metar.

METAR EINN 111930Z 11011KT 0200 R24/1100D R06/0900D FG BKN001 BKN002 03/03 Q1023 NOSIG=

Prevailing visibility 200 metres
    RVR on Runway 24 is 1100 metres and decreasing
    RVR on Runway 06 (the other end) is 900 metres and decreasing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds from the SE strengthening overnight and look quite fresh along coasts initially and getting blustery overland too later in the day. Strongest winds off shore from the SW and W over open water . Winds ,although very high, probably feeling a bit stronger then normal I would think as not usually that strength from a SE'ly direction.

Looks like being very wet in the SW as the warm front initially seems to stall and then moves slowly across the country followed by a weak cold front. Temps seem to peak in the SW around 10C to around 6C further N. I am expecting a low cloud more or less continuously wet day here near Tralee, looks like most of the rainfall on mountains from lift.

0TWMUCF.gif?1

tempresult_zax1.gif

CRRSAkR.png

yKErpqF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭County rebel

No expert on weather but it seems to be raining here in west cork since last August and we have more again tomorrow .is this to do with climate change we surely are getting more rain than say 30 years ago.sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Nice and sunny today in Kerry. Tracts of fog around the country showing up well on the NASSA Sat pic.

Easd5Un.jpg?1

The jet looks very strong over the country in the early days of next week with a strong W N/W airflow developing along the corridor between the Azores HP and the Northern LP.

Next Mon, Tues and Weds look very windy.

ECM 850 hPa winds

5cfSM2q.png?1

uMUmjtG.png

DI75Okw.png

oFsu0kW.gif

dhkwwXX.gif?1

ECM 850 hPa winds

6NGhd2a.gif?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

The jet looks very strong over the country in the early days of next week with a strong W N/W airflow developing along the corridor between the Azores HP and the Northern LP.

Next Mon, Tues and Weds look very windy.

ECM 850 hPa winds

Fair wind chill with that, raw few days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Temperature in Dublin has gone from -1C at 10pm, to 3C at 1am. If this winter has taught me anything, it’s that this is one crazy country for weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Currently -3C here. The past few days have been very cold in general. Wedesday's high here was 5C and Thursday's high was only 4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware- Rainfall Warning ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057829326

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Despite how the rain radar looks, there has been no rain in north meath thankfully

That is some windy spell of weather from Monday with accompanying wind chill .

tempresult_uck4.gif

Been watching next Tues/ Weds with interest. The ECM has been showing very tight isobars for a few days, looks like it could be very windy along Atlantic counties.

ECU1-96_mtd3.GIF

ECU1-120_xol3.GIF

Note the high reading over the Kerry Mts, I have seen this on a number of these charts,I think they seem to give a peak reading for high terrain and not to be mistaken with wind speeds at the standard 10m.

OWAlXzw.png

850hPa winds

dqKUq7C.gif?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Been watching next Tues/ Weds with interest. The ECM has been showing very tight isobars for a few days, looks like it could be very windy along Atlantic counties.

Looking at the weather on the 6 news and Tuesday had an average 3C over Ireland. That wind chill will make it feel well below freezing.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Looking at the weather on the 6 news and Tuesday had an average 3C over Ireland. That wind chill will make it feel well below freezing.

I can only imagine it will be skinning, especially on coasts or open countryside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have to admit, I'm really not looking forward to that wind chill next week, it's going to feel well below 0C for much of next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

nagdefy wrote: »

Speaking of the weather on Six One News I see the weather charts got a bit of a make over. I must day I like the graphics. Sorry for going off topic but I said I would mention it in here. I saw them for the first time yesterday evening. Cloudy and grey here in Tipperary with a slight breeze and a nice nip in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice bright afternoon here in Castlebar with some sunshine breaking through in just light winds. feeling mild at 9 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

The early hours of the 18th ,does that look like a flooding episode on the South East coast of England?Kind of 1953 in reverse (from the South up)

I think tides will be pretty high ... it is 5 days away..

https://earth.nullschool.net/#2018/01/18/0000Z/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-39.16,63.39,823/loc=-10.849,53.483

:eek:

Have to watch the evolution of this one for sure.

ECU1-120_ktt2.GIF

850 hPa winds

ECU4-120_spo4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There'd be a nice wind chill factor in that wind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

GFS not looking too severe

ukwind.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It is noteworthy when it's the euro model showing the low that deep rather than the gfs. Although the ecm seems to be on its own in blowing up the low. The UKMO is not supporting it so far.

It is noteworthy when it's the euro model showing the low that deep rather than the gfs. Although the ecm seems to be on its own in blowing up the low. The UKMO is not supporting it so far.

Yes and it twas the ECM that first picked up Storm Dylan and had a fairly accurate track before the local models even picked it up and then they took a few runs to fall in line. The track of Dylan did drift a bit more North. Will see.

m1kuf7v.png?1

tempresult_inx4.gif

tempresult_nit7.gif

tempresult_tqj2.gif

Yes and it twas the ECM that first picked up Storm Dylan and had a fairly accurate track before the local models even picked it up and then they took a few runs to fall in line. The track of Dylan did drift a bit more North. Will see.

m1kuf7v.png?1

tempresult_inx4.gif

tempresult_nit7.gif

tempresult_tqj2.gif

Well if the ecm is correct, then it'll probably be the wind that is the main concern, rather than snow at lower levels. It will be just feel really bitter in the heavy rain for most.

Fast moving deepening storm if this comes to pass. Seen some Dutch interest about this as it is presently tracking across Ireland, the UK and then into Holland.

fxH1H1R.gif?1

9qF5z3V.png

dtnLhcE.png

tiXp5hK.png

• Advertisement

yes 90 mph gusts possible as it exits kent, no wonder they are taking note

Advertisement