Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭highdef

MJohnston wrote: »
    A very mild day in Dublin. Of course that also means it's horrible out - a fine misty rain in the air, total and very low cloud cover, and a lovely gusty winds to blow it all into your face.

But hey, I guess at least it's not cold like yesterday with its sunny and dry blue skies and near lack of wind.

So are you saying yesterday was worse than today or are you just being sarcastic?

I went for an hour long walk in Dublin at lunchtime yesterday. After about a half hour, I was warm enough to take off my jacket leaving just at shirt underneath.

Today, I got about 500m and decided it was just too unpleasant to walk in. The temperature may have been a few degrees higher but the wind chill and drizzle made it feel so horrible, especially when compared to the lovely day yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quite a windy day showing up on Fri from the models, along Atlantic coasts getting the most wind.

Winds from the S and looks relativly mild. The ARPEGE showing the mildest temps atm.

tempresult_rka6.gif

72-289UK_pzj3.GIF

nmmuk-11-72-0_raa6.png

arpegeuk-41-80-0_uvw0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

highdef wrote: »
    So are you saying yesterday was worse than today or are you just being sarcastic?

I went for an hour long walk in Dublin at lunchtime yesterday. After about a half hour, I was warm enough to take off my jacket leaving just at shirt underneath.

Today, I got about 500m and decided it was just too unpleasant to walk in. The temperature may have been a few degrees higher but the wind chill and drizzle made it feel so horrible, especially when compared to the lovely day yesterday.

I was very much being sarcastic, we just see a lot of posters wishing for milder temps in winter, but today was a good indicator of what 9 out of 10 mild winter days are like, and yesterday a good indicator of what 9 out of 10 chilly winter days about.

And of course I mean air temperatures, wind chill did indeed make today *feel* colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster and Galway

Showers merging to longer spells of thundery rain. Surface water and spot flooding likely, with between 25 to 40 mm possible.

Issued:

Wednesday 10 January 2018 11:00

Valid:

Wednesday 10 January 2018 16:00 to Thursday 11 January 2018 04:00

Still mostly dry here in Castlebar with low cloud mist after thick fog earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

R.I.P. Philip Eden, one of the best weather statisticians I've seen. I emailed him once in regards to some information I could not find online about the UK's weather history and he was so nice. :(

https://www.rmets.org/death-philip-eden

Can this January stop being depressing?

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster and Galway

Showers merging to longer spells of thundery rain. Surface water and spot flooding likely, with between 25 to 40 mm possible.

Issued:

Wednesday 10 January 2018 11:00

Valid:

Wednesday 10 January 2018 16:00 to Thursday 11 January 2018 04:00

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Heavy Rain Munster & parts of Connacht 10th Jan

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828644

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Dense fog here in Drogheda, hasn’t lifted all day. Bitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    R.I.P. Philip Eden, one of the best weather statisticians I've seen. I emailed him once in regards to some information I could not find online about the UK's weather history and he was so nice. :(

Can this January stop being depressing?

Ah no.. Loved his monthly CET summaries and historic events.. So relatively young..

nagdefy wrote: »
    Ah no.. Loved his monthly CET summaries and historic events.. So relatively young..

They were always a great read, as was Trevor Harley's personal weather website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

A Phillip Eden January historical account..

Attached..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »

Sad news indeed. I use to enjoy reading his column in the Telegraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Interesting morning in Maynooth I left for work this morning at 7:45 it was foggy, damp and no ice. My OH left the house for the school run at 9 and in that time the fog had cleared and the estate frozen solid and black ice! I cycled along the canal towards Dublin and it wasn't frozen, the OH walked towards Kilcock about 10 and it was frozen in parts. Amazing to me anyway :o how quickly it changed and over such short distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Back on topic please

Thread has been swept and climate change discussion moved to a new thread here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow reported in Donegal and Carlow on Met Eireann. Wondering could that be an error?

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow reported in Donegal and Carlow on Met Eireann. Wondering could that be an error?

No, it's an error. Both Finner and Oak Park were shrouded in fog at the time, with visibilities down to 100 metres. No cloud was reported at either station.

From Met.ie
    Many of the measurements come from automated instruments with no human supervision. These are generally very reliable but, as with any system, human or automatic, errors can happen from time to time. During automatic operation, the "Weather" is estimated by an optical instrument. Classification of weather-type is significantly more difficult than measuring temperature or pressure and the result is occasionally incorrect. In particular, you may see a very occasional report of snow during periods of foggy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

A Phillip Eden January historical account..

Attached..

There’s a nice tribute to him on five lives up all night programme from last night
    It starts about 15 minutes in to the programme after the piece on the California mudslides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09l1zgw

Update on fog warning and rainfall warning for west and south issued

STATUS ORANGE

Fog Warning for Ireland
    Fog with very poor visibilities will linger in many inland areas this afternoon and will become more extensive and dense this evening and for a time tonight.

Issued:
    Thursday 11 January 2018 12:00

Valid:
    Thursday 11 January 2018 12:00 to Friday 12 January 2018 02:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry

Heavy rainfall expected later Friday, overnight and into early Saturday with falls of 30 to 50mm expected

Issued:
    Thursday 11 January 2018 13:16

Valid:
    Friday 12 January 2018 15:00 to Saturday 13 January 2018 12:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very thick fog here now after a sunny morning and early afternoon. Temps really struggling today across much of the midlands, north and north-east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

I know not really to do with winter specifically, but anybody else notice met eireanns news animations, icons etc during the weather forecast? Looks a lot more modern, I like them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    very thick fog here now after a sunny morning and early afternoon. Temps really struggling today across much of the midlands, north and north-east.

Beautiful day here still in Arklow as the sun goes down,2nd in a row
    High of 6c
    Currently 4.7c
    Frosty soon I’d imagine assuming a fog doesn’t come here

Heaviest fog I've seen in years here in Dublin 7. Going to be a disaster of a commute later.

Visibility at Waterford Airport is just 50 metres, 100 metres at Casement and Mullingar, 200 m at Dublin Airport and Oak Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Foggy all day here in West Clare, nothing too dense at the moment.

I note Knock is currently sub-zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Only a light mist out in Ringsend (you can see the Poolbeg Chimneys fairly clearly) but quite bad further in. Very chilly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

A few Dublin Airport bound planes in holding pattern on flightradar24, I presume due to the fog.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42653738
    Much of the snow in the city of Temirtau in central Kazakhstan is black.
    Instead of the usual white powder that children love to play with, the snow looks more like coal after a mysterious dark dust settled on the city in the beginning of January.
    Many residents, worried about their health, took to social media to call on the government to investigate the incident.
    "We can't live like this. We're suffocating here," wrote one user.
    A special group of scientists, made up of both independent ecologists and government experts, is working to identify the causes.

That is serious pollution there!

Visibility at Waterford Airport is just 50 metres, 100 metres at Casement and Mullingar, 200 m at Dublin Airport and Oak Park.

Just wondering, what is visibility specifically defined as? Is it about where you can't see anything except fog, or do different authorities have different definitions?

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Just wondering, what is visibility specifically defined as? Is it about where you can't see anything except fog, or do different authorities have different definitions?

It's different for metars and synops. In metars, it's the prevailing visibility (the greatest visibility over at least 50% of the horizon/airfield), whereas in synops it's the lowest visibility in any one direction. Synop visibility will therefore tend to be lower than metars, on average, though in fog like today there is no difference.

Visibility is defined as the furthest distance at which an object can be clearly made out.

Advertisement