Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Rainfall Warning ...

• 12-01-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I am surprised that high winds havnt been included in the ME yellow rainfall warning for today. :confused:

Some serious gusts and strong winds here since about 9.00 am - just waiting for the rain to hit shortly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow
    25 – 40 mm of rain in the 24 hour period from 6 pm on Friday to 6 pm on Saturday, with flooding in places. Higher amounts likely in the Wicklow Mountains.

Issued:Friday 12 January 2018 11:00
    Valid:Friday 12 January 2018 18:00 to Saturday 13 January 2018 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    UPDATE TO PREVIOUS WARNING

25 – 40 mm of rain in the 24 hour period from noon on Friday to noon on Saturday with flooding in places. Higher amounts possible on some mountains.

Valid:Friday 12 January 2018 12:00 to Saturday 13 January 2018 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry
    UPDATE TO PREVIOUS WARNING

30 – 50 mm rainfall in the 24 hour period from 1100 on Friday 12th to 1100 on Saturday 13th January. Heaviest rainfall between noon and midnight today. Risk of flooding, with highest risk in south and west Cork as well as south and west Kerry.

Valid:Friday 12 January 2018 11:00 to Saturday 13 January 2018 11:00

Just thought I'd put the current warnings in here! :). Waiting for the rain here in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Some strong gusts starting to blow here in west Mayo from an unusual south easterly direction.

Raining here now in cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Some strong gusts starting to blow here in west Mayo from an unusual south easterly direction.

Watched a high sided lorry getting hit by a very strong gust this morning - don't think the driver was expecting it. Strong winds since this morning and still gusting ....

130 m asl
    North Cork/ Limerick Tipperary border

No rainfall atm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pouring in Cork City, absolutely miserable, and windy too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Yellow alert wind conditions here in west Mayo,at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,069 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gozunda wrote: »
    I am surprised that high winds havnt been included in the ME yellow rainfall warning for today. :confused:

Some serious gusts and strong winds here since about 9.00 am - just waiting for the rain to hit shortly
    You didn't say where you were OP.

You didn't say where you were OP.

Sorry ...

130 m asl
    North Cork/ Limerick Tipperary Border

Rain has arrived - remains very windy with strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Will be a grand soft night, another problem from this rainfall could be that it will still be lying around Saturday night when surface temps could drop below freezing making for an icy time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After drops in the blustery wind for much of the morning getting very dark in Tralee and pouring now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Rain now reaching the east coast. Heaviest in the SW where up to 20mm has already fallen.
    DTWuoi_XcAAfwyP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Wind sounds ferocious in Sligo town at the moment, maybe because it's not from the usual direction but definitely sounds like more than 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Can confirm it's a bit wet,

Lashing here in Cork City, pretty windy too. Been raining non stop since around 12ish

• Registered Users Posts: 39,351 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lashing here in Cork City, pretty windy too. Been raining non stop since around 12ish

Horrible ****e altogether. The dog is looking at me as if to say "when am I going for a walk?" He has two hopes. It's a night for a roaring fire and a high stool.

Lights just flickered here with a big gust of wind, didn't happen with ophelia or Eleanor which is weird! Rain has gotten heavier aswell, place is saturated!

Lights just flickered here with a big gust of wind, didn't happen with ophelia or Eleanor which is weird! Rain has gotten heavier aswell, place is saturated!

Your power didn't go out during Ophelia ? Mine did for about nine hours. I'd say it's a mess out there in the usual flood prone areas.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Your power didn't go out during Ophelia ? Mine did for about nine hours. I'd say it's a mess out there in the usual flood prone areas.

nope, powers not gone in years at this stage, on the same line as CUH so even if it does go out its back up quick enough!

nope, powers not gone in years at this stage, on the same line as CUH so even if it does go out its back up quick enough!

Ah that's a USP of your house then. They have back up generators though in CUH as do all hospitals. Interesting fact you can't start an operation on back up power, but you can finish one on back up power.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Odd how there is no inland wind warning. Pretty rough conditions out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Long trailing low being drawn up over the country. Don't have accurate readings here near Tralee atm but around 20mm

G4l34Bn.png?1

pAtfkh1.gif

KLR7bm1.jpg?1

Where the heaviest rain has fallen so far.

DQEDHvb.png?1

Thought it felt quite windy at times today also but more so as not being as used to it coming from a SE direction i'd say.

Sligo Airport is the only station I can see that recorded a gust above 80km/h

tempresult_eht9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

No rain here yet whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Non stop rain in north cork since noon. Poor dog didnt get her walks today. One unhappy puppy:( will make it up to her tomorrow supposed to clear in the morning.

Thought it felt quite windy at times today also but more so as not being as used to it coming from a SE direction i'd say.

Sligo Airport is the only station I can see that recorded a gust above 80km/h

tempresult_eht9.gif

The problem with those stations providing wind speed data is that there is a huge swathe of inland counties do not have any recorded data.

My own weather station is on the blink at the moment but using the Beaufort scale guide we have had sustained winds of between 39 to 46 mph based on small branches down and stuff been blown over. Gusts have been significantly higher imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    No rain here yet whatsoever

Ditto here
    Tomorrow I fear is payday

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Torrential here in west cork all day.still going.was lots of local flooding at 5 when i was on my way home.must be pretty bad now 4 hours later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had some light rain here a while ago, been mostly dry here all week with plenty of fog and frost up to this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ditto here
    Tomorrow I fear is payday

Nah here I’d say will be blessed in the wicklow mountain shadow

Advertisement