Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2017-18: Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z Hirlam is nasty for the northwest

hirlamuk-2-30-0.png?01-17

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Jaysus.

ECM1-96.GIF?01-0

ECM1-120.GIF?01-0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

When is Kermit going to do a snow risk thread for the end of the week? Lol. Eastern areas most at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Hopefully this means some snow for us in cork City if it happens, I miss the actual white stuff :( if not, what would the ideal conditions for snow down here be realistically? Interested to know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Hopefully this means some snow for us in cork City if it happens, I miss the actual white stuff :( if not, what would the ideal conditions for snow down here be realistically? Interested to know :)

A malfunction for the shield

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Did you get snow in 2010? A polar low coming down in a proper northerly would deliver the goods to much of the country. . What would be even better is a front stalling over the country due to a very cold airstream already place. So lets say we had five to six days of a very cold north easterly airflow, which resulted, in lots of convective snow courtesy of the irish sea, then the pesky Atlantic tries to banish the cold airmass but is sent packing, resulting in several hours of very heavy snow fall for much of the country. Carlsberg don't do ideal snowy conditions in Ireland, but if they did, it would be something like this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Did you get snow in 2010? A polar low coming down in a proper northerly would deliver the goods to much of the country. . What would be even better is a front stalling over the country due to a very cold airstream already place. So lets say we had five to six days of a very cold north easterly airflow, which resulted, in lots of convective snow courtesy of the irish sea, then the pesky Atlantic tries to banish the cold airmass but is sent packing, resulting in several hours of very heavy snow fall for much of the country. Carlsberg don't do ideal snowy conditions in Ireland, but if they did, it would be something like this

We did get snow in 2010. I remember one evening of very heavy snowfall which accumulated quickly and lasted on the ground for days.

You have me fantasising!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If we do end up getting the easterly, hopefully it will be as cold as it looks because continental Europe seems to be very warm going into the middle of January.

we did indeed get snow in 2010! Well finally, even if it turns out to be nothing we have something to possibly look forward too down here at last haha! :)

• Advertisement

we did indeed get snow in 2010! Well finally, even if it turns out to be nothing we have something to possibly look forward too down here at last haha! :)

We always miss out, don't we. I still remember 2009 though, epic flooding (bad for everyone) and that crazy ice on Christmas day.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    We always miss out, don't we. I still remember 2009 though, epic flooding (bad for everyone) and that crazy ice on Christmas day.

I remember one day, it just rained for a full on 5 minutes straight, heavy rain too. We we driving down the hill and once the rain stopped, it just froze like almost straight away in 2010 i believe? Became like a glass road, cars sliding everywhere! Was pretty strange.

I remember one day, it just rained for a full on 5 minutes straight, heavy rain too. We we driving down the hill and once the rain stopped, it just froze like almost straight away in 2010 i believe? Became like a glass road, cars sliding everywhere! Was pretty strange.

Yeah, like glass, lovely fern patterns embedded. 09 and 10 were both very cold. Can't remember which was which now.

Yeah, like glass, lovely fern patterns embedded. 09 and 10 were both very cold. Can't remember which was which now.

2009-10 was persistently cold from mid-December to February with March having some very cold temperatures too. It was very snowy and sunny too, the sunniest Winter on record.

2010-11 had an extremely cold December and late November period with a lot of snow. January was dry, cold and sunny but much milder than December. February was very mild and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

We did get snow in 2010. I remember one evening of very heavy snowfall which accumulated quickly and lasted on the ground for days.

You have me fantasising!

In Cork city we got two decent snowfalls in 2010. On 10 January 2010, at the end of a cold spell where much of the country had seen snow, a system moved up from the bay of biscay over us and stalled over munster with about 10 hours of very fine snow falling. About 5cm accumulated ultimately. Then on 17 Dec 2010 (the following winter) we got snow off the initial nw flow of that epic northerly outbreak with about 6 or 7cm accumulatng in Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Urlaur Abbey and Lake in Mayo today. Amazingly serene conditions. The cold was crisp and pleasant because of the lack of breeze.

Sent the last photo in to the RTÉ Winter Quarter weather photo competition. Not expecting anything to come of it, it was only taken on an iPhone camera and the standard tends to be very high. Also, I've just realised, if you look closely, there's a human in the photo. :p

Anyhoo, just telling ye this in case anyone else wants to enter. There are some stunning photos on this forum from this winter. The RTÉ tends to make it hard to find the closing date. I found the instructions for the Autumn quarter and used the email address I found there: weathercomp@rte.ie. When the automated reply came back, it said that the closing date is midnight on Sunday, January 7th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I love a week of weather like this. So much happening. Because we could have a few storms between now and Friday Met Eireann have enough to deal with on their tv bulletins without mentioning the possibility of a very cold wintry spell at the weekend.

Lively weather:) A fortnight ago and all the foggy, dank weather seems long past.

Didnt that start as rain and then turned to snow and kept snowing

No, it was snow showers coming in on the easterly breeze. The month got milder as it went on after a deep cold freeze around the 6th/7th.

Read about February 1991 here: http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1991-Feb.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A huge snowstorm in association with a weather bomb low for the Boston area tomorrow,a balmy high of -15 for Friday afternoon and a cool low of -22 Friday night.

Just imagine that here,I barely can.

A huge snowstorm in association with a weather bomb low for the Boston area tomorrow,a balmy high of -15 for Friday afternoon and a cool low of -22 Friday night.

Just imagine that here,I barely can.

To be fair, thank god we don't get near those kind of maximum temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

sryanbruen wrote: »
    To be fair, thank god we don't get near those kind of maximum temperatures.

Why not? If they can deal with it, then surely we can.

Just puts into perspective how utterly boring and uninteresting our weather is,
    unless you really like rain and slightly windy conditions, our weather is utter trash

kod87 wrote: »
    Why not? If they can deal with it, then surely we can.

Just puts into perspective how utterly boring and uninteresting our weather is,
    unless you really like rain and slightly windy conditions, our weather is utter trash

Your first sentence makes no sense at all. Ireland does not have the resources to put up with the extremes the world suffers on a daily basis including snowstorms, heatwaves etc. We put out red status warnings for 8cm or more of snow..... that's laughable compared to many many countries.

Some people complain about Ireland's weather being boring whilst others complain about its extremes it gets sometimes - which are not extreme at all considering the rest of the planet.

You'd wanna look at the death figures of our extremes that we currently have compared to the deaths in other countries due to weather before making false assumptions like that.

It maybe boring - though I find it fascinating personally looking at the history - but at least it's one of the more safer and non-extreme climates you will find.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The climate of the entire Earth is pretty 'boring' if you think of it like that. Venus gets up to 450C and Neptune gets down to -230 :)

The climate of the entire Earth is pretty 'boring' if you think of it like that. Venus gets up to 450C and Neptune gets down to -230 :)

People don't live there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

People don't live there though.
    Some would like to, apparently.

At least our weather has variability and uncertainty, that certainly makes it interesting.

I couldn't bear the monotony of months of blue skies and 30C+ heat, or of relentless cold week on week. How boring is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

At least our weather has variability and uncertainty, that certainly makes it interesting.

I couldn't bear the monotony of months of blue skies and 30C+ heatHow boring is that!

Now THAT sounds like heaven to me....doesn't have to be months, all year round would suit me all the more. I really do think I am living in the wrong country!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone wishing for Boston's weather has never spent a summer there, or most of the East Coast of the USA. If you enjoy commuting to work in a sauna, it's the weather for you!

I find a lot of Irish people wish they had other countries weather because they only ever go there on holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Meh, I worked in Australia for a couple of years and would quite happily take the summers I had there, unbearably hot some days but waking up to clear blue skies almost every day never really got old. Nor did being able to reliably make outdoor plans weeks in advance! Winters were a different story though, very boring and uneventful

I don't think there's anywhere on the planet with a perfect climate, people in Canada probably look on in envy at our mild snowless winters

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Your first sentence makes no sense at all. Ireland does not have the resources to put up with the extremes the world suffers on a daily basis including snowstorms, heatwaves etc. We put out red status warnings for 8cm or more of snow..... that's laughable compared to many many countries.

Some people complain about Ireland's weather being boring whilst others complain about its extremes it gets sometimes - which are not extreme at all considering the rest of the planet.

You'd wanna look at the death figures of our extremes that we currently have compared to the deaths in other countries due to weather before making false assumptions like that.

It maybe boring - though I find it fascinating personally looking at the history - but at least it's one of the more safer and non-extreme climates you will find.

I believe we could deal with the boston weather if we were used to it, you said "thank god we don't have to''. I wish we did have to.

Well, I guess it comes down to why you find weather interesting. My interest in weather over the last 20 years revolves around extremes. The mundanity does not interest me, I do not care if the average temp for a month is 0.1C higher or lower than normal or trivial things like this.

What interests me is thunderstorms, blizzards, extreme heat, extreme cold.I guess I'm not really interested in weather in a pure sense or technical sense.

I suppose it just excites me to see the world burn ( or freeze )

Advertisement