Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws -- do you like them or hate them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I bet half the people complaining about rickshaws will be the same complaining when they're stuck in town with no taxis available.

There's a case for banning and there's a case for regulating. But banning without providing an alternative or providing more/later buses or Luas is crazy. It's hard enough as is to get around the city at certain times

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I bet half the people complaining about rickshaws will be the same complaining when they're stuck in town with no taxis available.

There's a case for banning and there's a case for regulating. But banning without providing an alternative or providing more/later buses or Luas is crazy. It's hard enough as is to get around the city at certain times

Rickshaws at present aren't facilitating any valid public transport journeys. They're just used by drunks instead of a five minute walk. Girlos in their heels will be complaining I suppose, but they'd be complaining anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

But rickshaws are useless if you want to go home unless you live in the CC.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    But rickshaws are useless if you want to go home unless you live in the CC.

Yea. There's quiet a few living in or near the city centre that like to get home too.

Also handy for getting around the city centre. Displacing all those who would in the past have used Rick Shaws is going to make it harder for others to get taxis home, as taxis are instead used for short journies around town

Yea. There's quiet a few living in or near the city centre that like to get home too.

Also handy for getting around the city centre. Displacing all those who would in the past have used Rick Shaws is going to make it harder for others to get taxis home, as taxis are instead used for short journies around town

No one's going to pay over €30 in a Rickshaw as opposed to a tenner in taxi to get if they live near the city centre to get to places like Ranelagh or Phibsboro.

People aren't going to que up for hours to get a taxi from Harcourt Street to Zaytoons at 3 in the morning they would likely skip going to Zaytoon and just go home instead. Taxi drivers may also refuse short journies on the grounds of passengers being too drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Rickshaws at present aren't facilitating any valid public transport journeys.
    Rickshaws at present are facilitating many valid public transport journeys. They are used by people moving around the city centre for a multitude of reasons.

Rickshaws at present are facilitating many valid public transport journeys. They are used by people moving around the city centre for a multitude of reasons.

So a pissed person going from Harcourt to Zaytoon is a valid pt journey at 3am in the morning? Most of their work is ferrying people from Nightclubs to late night eateries. Hardly important public transport work is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

So a pissed person going from Harcourt to Zaytoon is a valid pt journey at 3am in the morning? Most of their work is ferrying people from Nightclubs to late night eateries. Hardly important public transport work is it.
    Doesn't matter if it's important or not. And who decides what is and isn't important? It's obviously important to the rickshaw operators and their customers. And maybe unimportant to others. The most important thing is that demand exists for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Doesn't matter if it's important or not. And who decides what is and isn't important? It's obviously important to the rickshaw operators and their customers. And maybe unimportant to others. The most important thing is that demand exists for the service.

Demand would suggest that the citizens of Dublin were crying out for rickshaws - don't remember the public outcrying for such a service

How did we ever get from Temple Bar to Harcourt St before rickshaws...

It's no more than a exercise on how to rob the drunken public who are too incapable to walk up the road

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe we should shut down the entire taxi network in dublin after 7pm so, as it's mainly people heading out to drink and eat.

• Advertisement

Sure there's is a demand there for drug dealers, there's demand for stolen cars and there's demand for assains. Just because there's demand for something doesn't always mean that service should be provided otherwise there would be carnage and lawlessness as there already is with rickshaws.

It's clear rickshaw operators are con artists they deal drugs, they are unsafe, they break the rules of the road and they overcharge people but according to you we must keep because "demand exists for their service".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sure there's is a demand there for drug dealers, there's demand for stolen cars and there's demand for assains. Just because there's demand for something doesn't always mean that service should be provided otherwise there would be carnage and lawlessness as there already is with rickshaws.

It's clear rickshaw operators are con artists they deal drugs, they are unsafe, they break the rules of the road and they overcharge people but according to you we must keep because "demand exists for their service".

I demand cannabis should be made legal and made legal now! There is a demand for it so why is it illegal to buy it from a shop
    Wonder if a rickshaw driver could oblige me while I wait

maybe we should shut down the entire taxi network in dublin after 7pm so, as it's mainly people heading out to drink and eat.

I'm not a big fan of taxi or their drivers but at least they are generally safe, don't break the rules of road, are insured and don't deal drugs. They are a legit form of transport. Taxis get people from their homes to nightclubs, pubs and restaurants and home again. Rickshaws are a novelty for drunk people who want to from pub to nightclub or nightclub to some dodgy kebab shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Most of the posters have never ridden in a rickshaw (and I'd suspect a few are taxi drivers resentful at the competition?) Maybe answers should be limited to those who have, and to rickshaw operators?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not a big fan of taxi or their drivers but at least they are generally safe, don't break the rules of road, are insured and don't deal drugs.
    i know i keep going back to this, but so do you - you keep listing the problems caused by a lack of regulation as a justification not to regulate; but to ban.
    if you are going to have a debate about whether they should be allowed and regulated, it should be based purely on whether there is a benefit to having a managed system. it's quite clear you clearly don't like them and denigrate whatever benefit/fun other people might get from them.

i've never been in one, for what it's worth.

i know i keep going back to this, but so do you - you keep listing the problems caused by a lack of regulation as a justification not to regulate; but to ban.
    if you are going to have a debate about whether they should be allowed and regulated, it should be based purely on whether there is a benefit to having a managed system. it's quite clear you clearly don't like them and denigrate whatever benefit/fun other people might get from them.

i've never been in one, for what it's worth.

I said it before that if we regulated them them uptake of licences would be so low that there would be little point and we would likely have to pay extra civil servants in order to regulate a small industry. The attraction to own and operate a Rickshaw would be gone.

You must be struggling for valid points when you have to compare Rick shaw drivers to assains.

or else there could be an opportunity there for a subsidised system - similar to when jc decaux originally funded the dublin bike scheme - where a single company is given the licence to subsidise or run it in return for the advertising/feelgood factor. no rickshaws allowed which are not part of their fleet, etc.
    it would considerably reduce the admin overhead.

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Most of the posters have never ridden in a rickshaw (and I'd suspect a few are taxi drivers resentful at the competition?) Maybe answers should be limited to those who have, and to rickshaw operators?

But then who'd get outraged about these three wheeled drug dealing assains shamelessly providing public transport to detriment of all our youth?

or else there could be an opportunity there for a subsidised system - similar to when jc decaux originally funded the dublin bike scheme - where a single company is given the licence to subsidise or run it in return for the advertising/feelgood factor. no rickshaws allowed which are not part of their fleet, etc.

I agree. We're talking about Rick shaws here, not jet packs or hovercrafts. It can't be that difficult to regulate

• Advertisement

Tbh I don't really see the point there are plenty better ways to spend money on public transport such as improved buses. With 24hr buses on the way I don't think buses and and rickshaws will a good combination either. What were those rickshaws you used to see which were in a 7up livery haven't noticed them in a while but they looked more legit than some of the other ones you see.

You must be struggling for valid points when you have to compare Rick shaw drivers to assains.

I wasn't I was saying just because there is a demand for something dosen't nessecarily mean it should be fulfilled.

anything that can be done to reduce the glut of taxis in dublin in the evening is to be welcomed. several times when i've been on the last bus home, the traffic has been as heavy on george's street as it is at rush hour, with taxis plying for trade.

heh, how about we declare an exclusion zone in the core of the city centre into which taxis are not allowed. so you could get a taxi to leeson street, for example, but transfer to a rickshaw to get from there to college green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Do you have any figures to support this doomsday scenario?

People got around fine before rickshaws plagued the streets and I'm betting they'll get around fine long after they're gone.

Do you have any figures to support this doomsday scenario?

People got around fine before rickshaws plagued the streets and I'm betting they'll get around fine long after they're gone.

Of course I don't have figures. I'm a man debating a point on an Internet forum, I'm not the central statistics office.

People got around fine before rickshaws, just as the did before the Luas or dart. Yes people will manage if they're banned, but they do serve a purpose as they obviously satisfy a demand that existing public transport can't or won't.

Forget your doomsday nonsense, and all the Helen Lovejoys of the forum concerned about every rickshaw driver being a murderer, rapist or assain. It's nonsense. A rickshaw is little more than a push bike with a trailer.

They serves a purpose, they're environmentally friendly, and take on journies other public transport services can't or won't. Yes we could live without them, but why should we?

They could quite easily be regulated and registered. We regulate TV ownership, we regulate dog ownership. Why not rickshaw too? It's not rocket science and the cost of regulation could be covered by registration fees or similar

I wasn't I was saying just because there is a demand for something dosen't nessecarily mean it should be fulfilled.

And an assain was what you felt was a relevant comparison?

So you've compared rickshaw drivers to assains. Accused them of being drug dealers. Accused them of being rapists. Accused them of driving dangerously. Accused them of being con artists and accused them of overcharging.

It's comedic how exaggerated and subjective your opinion is to the point it just seems ridiculous. Away back in your taxi and tell your next fare all about the big bad Rick shaws

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

anything that can be done to reduce the glut of taxis in dublin in the evening is to be welcomed. several times when i've been on the last bus home, the traffic has been as heavy on george's street as it is at rush hour, with taxis plying for trade.

heh, how about we declare an exclusion zone in the core of the city centre into which taxis are not allowed. so you could get a taxi to leeson street, for example, but transfer to a rickshaw to get from there to college green.

Rickshaws cause quite a build up there to be honest.

I come across so many that do the most dumbest things such as racing, weaving in and out and across lanes, coming head on at speed and much more.

I have no issue with them once ridden correctly and within our laws.

Really should be something done to keep them but that they must show a number, correct lights, driver I.D and most importantly insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Of course I don't have figures. I'm a man debating a point on an Internet forum, I'm not the central statistics office.

People got around fine before rickshaws, just as the did before the Luas or dart. Yes people will manage if they're banned, but they do serve a purpose as they obviously satisfy a demand that existing public transport can't or won't.

Forget your doomsday nonsense, and all the Helen Lovejoys of the forum concerned about every rickshaw driver being a murderer, rapist or assain. It's nonsense. A rickshaw is little more than a push bike with a trailer.

They serves a purpose, they're environmentally friendly, and take on journies other public transport services can't or won't. Yes we could live without them, but why should we?

They could quite easily be regulated and registered. We regulate TV ownership, we regulate dog ownership. Why not rickshaw too? It's not rocket science and the cost of regulation could be covered by registration fees or similar
    I'm gonna take a wild guess here any say you won't be able to backup these claims either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm gonna take a wild guess here any say you won't be able to backup these claims either.

Plus quoting the TV and Dog licences as being good examples of regulation. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Good for drugs when stuck

Advertisement