Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws -- do you like them or hate them?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

They are a rip-off. Won’t be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's obviously not happening as other posters alluded to these rickshaws are dangerous. The Gardai aren't obviously doing enough to stop them driving dangerously because there are still plenty out there driving dangerously. They rip people off, they're dangerous, I would imagine a percentage of drivers are illegal immigrants and should be deported, they're drug dealing and they are also a nuisance in the sense that they are trying to hassle people into using them. I honestly can't think of any good points about them. Can you?

They're environmentally friendly and provide an in demand service. You know the fare before you engage a Rick shaw, so hardly a rip off. I'd rather pay a tenner from the Point after a gig to O'Connel bridge than walk, so not really a rip off in that regard.

I guess plenty are selling drugs, I don't particularly care; I'm not buying so doesn't affect me. I'm not too pushed whether my bus, Luas or taxi driver is doing smiler either, once they're capable of providing the service I have engaged them for.

There is an issue with regard to safety and regulation, but it's not insurmountable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,057 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So some of them are dope pedallers, and the rest are just dopes? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

LiamoSail wrote: »
    They're environmentally friendly and provide an in demand service. You know the fare before you engage a Rick shaw, so hardly a rip off. I'd rather pay a tenner from the Point after a gig to O'Connel bridge than walk, so not really a rip off in that regard.

I guess plenty are selling drugs, I don't particularly care; I'm not buying so doesn't affect me. I'm not too pushed whether my bus, Luas or taxi driver is doing smiler either, once they're capable of providing the service I have engaged them for.

There is an issue with regard to safety and regulation, but it's not insurmountable

What a feckin attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Some are drug dealers.

They charge a laughable fee to go down the road.

They are careless. Almost as careless and retarded as the deliveroo cyclists ..almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

LiamoSail wrote: »

Rickshaws solely operate in Dublin CC. Nowhere in Dublin CC is not within walking distance of another part of Dublin CC. People who take rickshaws should be walking which is also environmentally friendly. Why can't you get the Luas from the Point to O'Connell Street another environmentally form of transport and cheaper than one of these cowboys.

The rickshaw is attractive because it's unregulated. If it was regulated no one would take up the oppurtunity to run a rickshaw business or drive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Rickshaws solely operate in Dublin CC. Nowhere in Dublin CC is not within walking distance of another part of Dublin CC. People who take rickshaws should be walking which is also environmentally friendly. Why can't you get the Luas from the Point to O'Connell Street another environmentally form of transport and cheaper than one of these cowboys.

The rickshaw is attractive because it's unregulated. If it was regulated no one would take up the oppurtunity to run a rickshaw business or drive one.

Nah

If youre in town after drinking etc and you want to hop the other side of the Liffey or wherever they serve a purpose when it can be difficult to get a taxi.

They provide a service that people are entitled to use and pay for.

McCrack wrote: »
    Nah

If youre in town after drinking etc and you want to hop the other side of the Liffey or wherever they serve a purpose when it can be difficult to get a taxi.

They provide a service that people are entitled to use and pay for.

In a manner which puts yourself and others in danger. They are unsafe simple as. Just because you want to use one doesn't mean others should put in unesscary danger. Would you be in favour of them if you involved in an accident in them?

In a manner which puts yourself and others in danger. They are unsafe simple as. Just because you want to use one doesn't mean others should put in unesscary danger. Would you be in favour of them if you involved in an accident in them?

There are inherent risks with every mode of transportation

I am quite happy to take my chances

McCrack wrote: »
    There are inherent risks with every mode of transportation

I am quite happy to take my chances

Yeah but at least other modes are insured and you can claim if you are injured. Other methods have taken measure to mitigate the risks. Rickshaws have not. Your more likely to get injured travelling by rickshaw than walking, bus or taxi.

Also not everyone is happy to take their chances especially if your living depends on it.

• Advertisement

Yeah but at least other modes are insured and you can claim if you are injured. Other methods have taken measure to mitigate the risks. Rickshaws have not. Your more likely to get injured travelling by rickshaw than walking, bus or taxi.

Also not everyone is happy to take their chances especially if your living depends on it.

If there was an accident involving a Rickshaw it would depend who was negligent - it doesn't automatically mean a passenger cannot claim for an injury - other road users have insurance and if they do not the MIBI will step in.

Anyway they provide a service and for that reason I welcome them. People can choose to use them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

How the hell did we ever manage to get around without them. The whole population will eventually end up like the passengers and crew on the "Axiom". :rolleyes:

1ddd88cd1d4bf65df6be9d0bbf08aca4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, i am hearing the drawbacks of lack of regulation as being used as an excuse for refusing to consider regulation.
    i recently had to walk from the national concert hall to the far end of capel street, and the sooner i got there, the better. i hate the idea that i have to call on the services of a car to achieve this trip.
    why are people so hung up on the current execution of a concept being the only example possible of that concept?

again, i am hearing the drawbacks of lack of regulation as being used as an excuse for refusing to consider regulation.
    i recently had to walk from the national concert hall to the far end of capel street, and the sooner i got there, the better. i hate the idea that i have to call on the services of a car to achieve this trip.
    why are people so hung up on the current execution of a concept being the only example possible of that concept?

The thing about regulation is you would have to pay a large number of civil servants to regulate the industry which would cost a lot of money. The real reason why the rickshaw business is attractive is because it is unregulated if you regulated it would no likely longer exist as it would be no longer be lucrative to get involved and it would also be likely that a large number of the current crop of drivers would not be eligible to apply for licences under a regulated system. So you might aswell ban them.

You can't continue with the current free for all especially now with 24 hours buses likely fingers crossed it would only be a matter of time before someone is killed or seriously injured due to an incident caused by one. The problem in this country is it's only after a serious incident something is done to prevent another serious incident happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Your more likely to get injured travelling by rickshaw than walking, bus or taxi.

Are there statistics on this?

howiya wrote: »

No but when was the last you heard of someone being injured in bus, taxi or Luas crash or the last time a bus, taxi or Luas driver beat and raped a passenger.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rickshaw-driver-who-left-severely-injured-woman-in-dublin-laneway-after-raping-her-appeals-sentence-as-victim-faces-more-surgery-35485755.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

howiya wrote: »

Do you really need statistic to explain the bleedin obvious.

zero crash protection
    unqualified drivers
    No vehicle testing for the actual rickshaw

Not to mention the complete disregard for the ROTR and laws.

What about their revenue.

How are their earning benefiting society? I cant see a system of taxation in the massive cash fares they accumulate from the service or even their drug dealing.

They really do need to go. They are parasites ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No but when was the last you heard of someone being injured in bus, taxi or Luas crash or the last time a bus, taxi or Luas driver beat and raped a passenger.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rickshaw-driver-who-left-severely-injured-woman-in-dublin-laneway-after-raping-her-appeals-sentence-as-victim-faces-more-surgery-35485755.html
    what a weird and irrelevant reply.
    i know someone who was injured in a taxi crash. i know someone else who was raped by a taxi driver. people have been killed in taxi crashes. people have been killed in bus crashes, and injured in luas crashes.

but what a weird digression, make a claim you can't stand over and your defence is 'no, no, the ball is over *here*'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭corks finest

monument wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind -- I've edited the thread title. It's about regulations for rickshaws in Ireland, not just Dublin.

Also: It's open to all regardless of if you've used one or not.

No regulations,no rickshaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

An ecological choice for short journeys… of course they should be licensed and regulated under the taxi-for-hire legislation. Banned? No.

As for drugs, most users would be more likely to ask a taxi driver about them than a rickshaw driver, I suspect. And rape… well:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/taxi-drivers-wont-give-dna-for-rape-probe-union-boss-35324900.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd expect the risk of harm to a drunk person in Dublin city centre is lower for being conveyed by rickshaw than walking.

It's also easier to puke over the side of a moving rickshaw than to puke out of the window of a moving taxi. Less blowback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd expect the risk of harm to a drunk person in Dublin city centre is lower for being conveyed by rickshaw than walking.

It's also easier to puke over the side of a moving rickshaw than to puke out of the window of a moving taxi. Less blowback.

Enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Regulation wont work,simple.

At present the rickshaws break every rule under the sun, they go down one way streets, through red lights,on footpaths ect.

Given that the taxi industry (which has far greater numbers of cars)has less than 15 "enforcers" for the whole country Theres not a hope in hell an enforcer will be to do anything.Besides the rickshaw drivers will just pedal away.

Ban them I say , like they did in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Regulation wont work,simple.

At present the rickshaws break every rule under the sun, they go down one way streets, through red lights,on footpaths ect.

Given that the taxi industry (which has far greater numbers of cars)has less than 15 "enforcers" for the whole country Theres not a hope in hell an enforced will be to do anything.Besides the rickshaw drivers will just pedal away.

Ban them I say , like they did in Galway.
    This was done via a By-Law in Galway City Council, who enforces that?

'I was on one myself late at night' - Shane Ross left 'shocked' after rickshaw ride
    "I was on one myself late one night and I was pretty shocked quite honestly because it confirmed everything that I had heard about them," he said.
    https://www.independent.ie/incoming/i-was-on-one-myself-late-at-night-shane-ross-left-shocked-after-rickshaw-ride-36964935.html

*everything* he had heard - obviously the driver offered minister ross some yokes as they were on stephen street. i wonder if he bought them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

'I was on one myself late at night' - Shane Ross left 'shocked' after rickshaw ride
    "I was on one myself late one night and I was pretty shocked quite honestly because it confirmed everything that I had heard about them," he said.
    https://www.independent.ie/incoming/i-was-on-one-myself-late-at-night-shane-ross-left-shocked-after-rickshaw-ride-36964935.html

*everything* he had heard - obviously the driver offered minister ross some yokes as they were on stephen street. i wonder if he bought them?

Would explain a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rechuchote wrote: »
    An ecological choice for short journeys…
    ... would be legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

endacl wrote: »
    ... would be legs.

Rickshaws are mostly leg-powered √

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Rickshaws are mostly leg-powered √

Why do they only come out at night though?

Because it's easier to rip off drunk people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I do walk a lot, but sometimes you want to get to your destination sooner. Regarding the Luas, it's a nightmare after a gig in the point. Also, time constraints of not going to somewhere on Luas line

Advertisement