Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws -- do you like them or hate them?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I hope you don't mind -- I've edited the thread title. It's about regulations for rickshaws in Ireland, not just Dublin.

Also: It's open to all regardless of if you've used one or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I have used them and yes they are handy on a night out but they have gotten out of control in recent years. Some of the operators have no respect for predestines and road traffic.

There needs to be some form or regulation and possibly a reduction in the numbers on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm neutral. I've only ever used one of the 'fleet' ones. I think they provide a service, but as they are carrying members of the public, they should have proportionate requirements, similar to those imposed on taxi / hackney services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

The National transport authority has issued a survey on rickshaws in Dublin seeking peoples opinions on them if you have used them or own one or more.

I have not used one but have filled out a form myself to comment on topics such as driving habits, safety and their fare system.

I would recommend as many people as possible take the survey , it only takes 5 minutes.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/public-consultations/current/

DIRECT LINK TO SURVEY: https://www.research.net/r/rickshaw_consultation

"I have not used one but have filled out a form myself to comment on topics such as driving habits, safety and their fare system."

Er? But you just said you never used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Skatedude wrote: »
    "I have not used one but have filled out a form myself to comment on topics such as driving habits, safety and their fare system."

Er? But you just said you never used one?

Yes this is true.

But as a large vehicle driver in Dublin city center and even as a pedestrian walking around Dublin city center (Dublin is only where I've come across them so I'm not forgetting other cities)
    I have had many near misses with them which could've been very damaging for both vehicles and property and even possible human injury or worse (people generally don't cycle out in front of large coaches at the last second and ignore you and cycle away, they could easily be killed). I was nearly knocked over by one on Grafton street while walking one evening.

Their fare system is non existent by the looks of it and I can only imagine they make it up as they go along. I don't see a meter, company name or anything of the likes for the operator or driver of the rickshaw.

My opinion on it is if the NTA step in and licence the system correctly where we could see a fare structure, a licence system for them and somewhere to complain if we witness or are involved in them driving dangerously of the likes it would probably improve the situation, and I think it would reduce the amount of them on the road too.

Another point for me was vehicle safety. They look very home made to me as if they have just been stuck together so Im unsure of their safety.

Never the less as the Moderator pointed out after my post , it was shown the survey is for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thee used to be particularly aggressive rickshaw driver around Dun Laoghaire, used to see him on Saturday afternoons and you needed to get out of this guy's way if he was coming at you as he drove on the footpath whenever it suited him, total assh0le.

I was in Dublin city at nighttime for the first time in a while recently and spotted two rickshaws riving the wrong way along one way streets, one coming along Nassau St. towards Grafton St. from the bottom of Kildare St. and while I was standing at the bus stop outside the old Burlington Hotel, a rickshaw came from the direction of Donnybrook and took a short cut the wrong way up Sussex Road to get to the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nice one. Takes about ten seconds and there's no limit to the amount of times you can go through and tick the box saying they should be prohibited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

if someone wants to do it, why not? I wouldn't use one myself as I'd feel bad being carted around.

I'd rather they improved regulations for horse drawn carriages, as the poor animals can't consent.

Presumably with regulation there will be a requirement for insurance etc. It probably wouldn't pay them in that instance? How much is a rickshaw journey?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Seen the bit on the news about them last night and had to laugh at the taxi driver saying they don't obey the rules of the road!! pot & kettle

Regulation needed both for the vehicles and drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Just filled out the survey and left my tuppence worth. Down with rickshaws!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I didn't think the issue with the rickshaws was their driving habits - I thought it was more with how a lot of them supplement their income that was the issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

theteal wrote: »
    I didn't think the issue with the rickshaws was their driving habits - I thought it was more with how a lot of them supplement their income that was the issue

Combination of issues really but definitely the drug selling seems widespread.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/good-clean-illegal-fun-a-night-in-dublin-s-after-hours-party-scene-1.3176955?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Never used one. They don't look too safe and I've heard they're unlicensed.

If that's the case, I guess they're uninsured, so absolute mugs game getting into one of them.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They don't look too safe and I've heard they're unlicensed.
    Pedal rickshaws (not motor rickshaws) and horse carriages don't need a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

endacl wrote: »
    Nice one. Takes about ten seconds and there's no limit to the amount of times you can go through and tick the box saying they should be prohibited.

This is why internet surveys are a waste of time. I guess you must be concerned that there aren't actually enough people who care about this to back up your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a place for them.

Mumbai or Hanoi or perhaps Phnom pehn. Places like that.

Why there and not Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

A lot of them peddle drugs

So if youre stuck in town at midnight for something they usually will oblige

McCrack wrote: »
    A lot of them peddle drugs
    Is this just hearsay or are there lots of convictions of drivers?

Knowledge on the ground Victor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

McCrack wrote: »
    Knowledge on the ground Victor

So hot air then yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ED E wrote: »
    So hot air then yeah.

It's really not. Make a few enquiries the next time your out around Georges Street at night. I bet it won't take long. It's not my thing but I've seen it first hand and I'm only in Dublin a handful of times a year these days.

Thanks. I didnt have the appetite to reply to ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well exactly. Their a bit second world rather than something you'd expect to find in a prosperous modern European city so I think they bring the tone of the place down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

Article about rickshaws and drug dealing in the IT today

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-s-drug-dealing-rickshaw-drivers-1.3320494

Interestingly it mentions the survey and says early indications are that most are in favour of retaining rickshaws but with regulation. Report gone to the Department of Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Pond scum .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭howiya

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'd be satisfied with this outcome, my submission called for same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

@ED E you described the claims of drug dealing as "hot air" - I wonder what you have to say about this:

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0511/962729-dublin-rickshaws-drugs/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0530/967014-rickshaws/

Sometimes I wonder why it takes multiple media and govt statements and investigations to be released before we can call a spade a spade on this forum.

Advertisement