Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rickshaws -- do you like them or hate them?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

howiya wrote: »
    an interesting approach. too difficult to regulate, so we ban.
    we'll be banning banks next. and the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I don't think they add anything to a city, apart from giving joyrides to drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I don't think they add anything to a city, apart from giving joyrides to drunks.

Agreed

This will probably be the only thing Ross does in office, ban rickshaws.

Personally, even though I don't deal with them much anymore , I'll still be glad to see the back of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Hopefully they'll be getting banned. I fail to see what they are contributing to the city. Banning them would definitely improve the look of the place and would help the introduction of 24h bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Agreed

This will probably be the only thing Ross does in office, ban rickshaws.

Personally, even though I don't deal with them much anymore , I'll still be glad to see the back of them

Yeah but it means more Taxis.

I would rather have Rickshaws than taxis any day of the week. Rickshaws dont get in the way of the bus service. Taxis make it their mission hold up everyone to get 1 fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

an interesting approach. too difficult to regulate, so we ban.
    we'll be banning banks next. and the gardai.

Rickshaw's aren't imporant. More trouble than it's worth on our cramped streets. Nothing of value lost! :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,496 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so legally, how do you define a rickshaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Don't see the harm in them myself. Overcharging drunk idiots for trips to Harcourt Street and selling the odd bag of weed to tourists. Don't clog up the roads like taxi's either.

so legally, how do you define a rickshaw?

A non motorised vehicle carrying more than one passsenger on a public. I know you say the same about people who carry children attached bicycle trailers or at the front or back but in my opinion these are also unsafe and unsuitable to roads.

I know people say regulate but the money being made by these guys is not an awful lot however much they try to rip you they are not making big bucks the average Rickshaw driver would make about €70 or €80 on a busy night I would make a guess. Uptake of Rickshaw licences would likely be so low as it would likely cost more to buy a licence than one would make in a year and insurance would also be sky high which would put more potential Rickshaw drivers off.

Regulating them is unviable so it's cheaper and easier to just ban them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Other than banning them for hire, I suspect that banning them outright might be legally difficult. Would a SI be needed to define what a Rickshaw is? or is legislation required to do this.

I find it difficult how a rickshaw will be defined in law and to differentiate it to pedal cycles and cargo bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Saying they only make €70 ish a night is a lot of money, they are probably doing this for a few hours at night (untaxed) and working a full time job - it's a very nice earner.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident yet because their road manners are non existent, one way streets - who cares, half the time they are not even looking at the road as they are chatting with their fares
    I'm not even sure how it is even legal for them to be plying for fares when they are not even licenced like a taxi would be.
    And who do you think are supplying the drugs - surely not the people renting the rickshaw to them...
    Journey price is directly related to how drunk you are.
    Should be banned - add nothing to the city at all

fritzelly wrote: »
    Saying they only make €70 ish a night is a lot of money, they are probably doing this for a few hours at night (untaxed) and working a full time job - it's a very nice earner.
    I'm surprised there hasn't been an accident yet because their road manners are non existent, one way streets - who cares, half the time they are not even looking at the road as they are chatting with their fares
    I'm not even sure how it is even legal for them to be plying for fares when they are not even licenced like a taxi would be.
    And who do you think are supplying the drugs - surely not the people renting the rickshaw to them...
    Journey price is directly related to how drunk you are.
    Should be banned - add nothing to the city at all

I was saying if they were regulated and let's say they decided to charge 2 grand for a licence how many would actually take it up. Also they would likely need insurance to get a licence so that's another couple of grand. Uneconomic to run if they were regulated it would cost more to get a licence than one would make so no one would buy a licence plate and The NTA would have admin fees etc. so it would cost more to regulate than the amount licence fees would bring in so you might aswell ban. Also I would say a large proportion of Rickshaw drivers are not legally entitled to live or work here.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I was saying if they were regulated and let's say they decided to charge 2 grand for a licence how many would actually take it up. Also they would likely need insurance to get a licence so that's another couple of grand. Uneconomic to run if they were regulated it would cost more to get a licence than one would make so no one would buy a licence plate and The NTA would have admin fees etc. so it would cost more to regulate than the amount licence fees would bring in so you might aswell ban. Also I would say a large proportion of Rickshaw drivers are not legally entitled to live or work here.

Basically what Coveney was saying - too much hassle to set up and it ends up being a non runner for people to do it if it was licenced so a fortune wasted to legislate it
    Don't know how it is in other cities in Ireland compared to Dublin but just add it to the bye laws and ban it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Saying Rickshaws don't "add anything to the city" is not a good enough reason to ban them.

Banning rickshaws is a nice distraction from a city centre which is currently experiencing a transport crisis. It's pathetic really.

Saying Rickshaws don't "add anything to the city" is not a good enough reason to ban them.

Banning rickshaws is a nice distraction from a city centre which is currently experiencing a transport crisis. It's pathetic really.

What do these nocturnal animals add to the city then?
    Flying around flauting the laws of the road, robbing people (not directly but hey €10 euro from Camden St to Georges St, sure no tourists have never been done over), dealing drugs - they surely add something to the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're a novelty for pissed people, operated by god-knows-who and not a serious transport option.

fritzelly wrote: »
    What do these nocturnal animals add to the city then?
    Flying around flauting the laws of the road, robbing people (not directly but hey €10 euro from Camden St to Georges St, sure no tourists have never been done over), dealing drugs - they surely add something to the city...
    most of those problems are down to lack of regulation.
    if there was a sensible option to do so, i'd prefer hop in one of these to get from, say, earlsfort terrace to capel street, depending on weather and time, rather than use a taxi.

most of those problems are down to lack of regulation.
    if there was a sensible option to do so, i'd prefer hop in one of these to get from, say, earlsfort terrace to capel street, depending on weather and time, rather than use a taxi.

You see the thing if you regulated them uptake of licences would likely be low. Meaning you might as well just ban them. It would be cheaper and easier to just ban them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how much are these actually used for transport, or for more a kind of entertainment, would people wearing more comfortable shoes or reducing their alcohol intake reduce their use a great deal?

(i think they should regulated not banned)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

@ED E you described the claims of drug dealing as "hot air" - I wonder what you have to say about this:

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0511/962729-dublin-rickshaws-drugs/

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0530/967014-rickshaws/

Sometimes I wonder why it takes multiple media and govt statements and investigations to be released before we can call a spade a spade on this forum.

I'm not one that normally holds their tongue but honestly thought the stories of rampant dealing were exaggerated. I've not seen any despite the convictions. But that said Ive not seen Taxi drivers dealing either and they've been done too so maybe that doesnt say much.

A ban is a nice idea, but who'd enforce it? The Gardai? Fat chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

from 2016 to 2017 eighty-seven (87) rickshaw drivers operating in the Dublin Metropolitan Region South Central who were suspected of committing offences contrary to Sections 3 and 15 of the Misuse of Drugs Acts 1977 to 2016. https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-05-29a.665&s=rickshaws#g667.r

just suspects but still, could be immigration issues mixed up in that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

eighty-seven (87) rickshaw drivers operating in the Dublin Metropolitan Region South Central who were suspected of committing offences contrary to Sections 3 and 15 of the Misuse of Drugs Acts 1977 to 2016. https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2018-05-29a.665&s=rickshaws#g667.r

just suspects but

Ah sure, as one wise poster said what's wrong with dealing the odd bag of weed but why stop there..why not sell a bit of cocaine as well. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

banning rickshaws will undoubtedly stamp out all the drug problems in the city. I hear some drug dealers drive cars, we should ban those too, and the Red Line Luas while we're at it.

seriously though, the only reason for banning them seems to be that some people find them annoying. If they were genuinely dangerous or causing serious traffic problems then the guards could sort that out using existing laws. I don't agree with banning something for such nebulous reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Since this announcement their behaviour has become twice as bad.

I nearly killed a rickshaw rider last night when he looked and still pulled right across the path of a full bus. Braked heavy to avoid.

Maybe squished rickshaw is what Shane Ross needs to get the ball rolling.

brokenarms wrote: »

I nearly killed a rickshaw rider last night when he looked and still pulled right across the path of a full bus. Braked heavy to avoid.

I hear some of the Dublin rickshaws are currently being transported over to Ibiza.

loyatemu wrote: »
    banning rickshaws will undoubtedly stamp out all the drug problems in the city. I hear some drug dealers drive cars, we should ban those too, and the Red Line Luas while we're at it.

seriously though, the only reason for banning them seems to be that some people find them annoying. If they were genuinely dangerous or causing serious traffic problems then the guards could sort that out using existing laws. I don't agree with banning something for such nebulous reasons.

They are a nuisance and they are dangerous. No tax, no insurance, they cycle carelessly without regard for their passengers or other road users safety that's why they need to be banned. Being a nuisance is a secondary reason they are being banned.

i'm getting a lot of 'lack of regulation is a reason not to regulate them' coming off some of the arguments here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Lots of stuff that doesn’t make sense here...
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    They are a nuisance and they are dangerous. No tax, no insurance, they cycle carelessly without regard for their passengers or other road users safety that's why they need to be banned. Being a nuisance is a secondary reason they are being banned.

The ones that are bicycles don’t require insurance or tax and the ones which are motor vehicles can be taken off the road and held for not having insurance or tax.

Cycling carelessly is mainly an enforcement issue and if the Gardai don’t think the person is being truthful about their ID or address, they can take the bicycles.

At least a good chunk of different road users think the others are a nuisance... it’s really not a valid justification to go banning types of vehicles or their use for higher.

brokenarms wrote: »

How likely is it that since the announcement their behaviour actually has become twice as bad? It’s the same with anything that gets coverage vs things that don’t get much coverage.

And if pulling out in front of people is a reason to ban them it’s a reason to ban cars.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    The ones that are bicycles don’t require insurance or tax and the ones which are motor vehicles can be taken off the road and held for not having insurance or tax.

Cycling carelessly is mainly an enforcement issue and if the Gardai don’t think the person is being truthful about their ID or address, they can take the bicycles.

At least a good chunk of different road users think the others are a nuisance... it’s really not a valid justification to go banning types of vehicles or their use for higher.

It's obviously not happening as other posters alluded to these rickshaws are dangerous. The Gardai aren't obviously doing enough to stop them driving dangerously because there are still plenty out there driving dangerously. They rip people off, they're dangerous, I would imagine a percentage of drivers are illegal immigrants and should be deported, they're drug dealing and they are also a nuisance in the sense that they are trying to hassle people into using them. I honestly can't think of any good points about them. Can you?

Advertisement