Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth living life right and by the rules

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Those who game the system do, sure. But there's an attempt on this thread to smear the majority of welfare claimants as scammers who are doing the poor workers out of their hard earned cash.

I don't think so..... And it's important to differentiate between the never have worked never will work and the people who just end up unemployed through no fault of their own. I definitely see the difference. But that aside the valid point that is trying to be glossed over here is that those who contribute nothing get everything for free and that is not right and that is what makes it a joke in Ireland to be part of the squeezed middle class (which is just the working class now). Not all welfare recipients are poor not all of them are struggling and none of them who are capable of working deserve their whole life funded for free. We need to make that distinction and we need to demand action from our politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

screamer wrote: »
    I don't think so..... And it's important to differentiate between the never have worked never will work and the people who just end up unemployed through no fault of their own. I definitely see the difference. But that aside the valid point that is trying to be glossed over here is that those who contribute nothing get everything for free and that is not right and that is what makes it a joke in Ireland to be part of the squeezed middle class (which is just the working class now). Not all welfare recipients are poor not all of them are struggling and none of them who are capable of working deserve their whole life funded for free. We need to make that distinction and we need to demand action from our politicians.

By the same token, not all workers work hard and deserve their self proclaimed hard earned wage. I'm not saying people should just be free to game the system as they like, and I look down on people who do it. I'm just not sure how it could be charging without spending even more money, and think the country has other things to prioritise over making life even more difficult for those on welfare for the sake of catching out the relatively small number of scammers.

But it always has been easier to target the vulnerable I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭KyussBeeshop

There are a fair number of people out there gaming the system, milking it for a ton of money, whose contribution to society is a net-negative - virtually none of them are on the fucking dole though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Varadkar is going to sort this scroungers out, just wait.

I can't wait for it. I'm sick of people moamimg about everything wrong with the country, but don't contribute via tax, or get off their arse and run for their local council and try to make a change.

Of courrrrrrrse he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/family-of-ten-were-on-too-much-welfare-to-get-a-home

Sure as people say here. People on welfare are struggling, sure it's a miserable old life.

"A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child"

I could link an article citing the beliefs of a flat earther, but that wouldn't necessarily paint a picture of a broken education system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I could link an article citing the beliefs of a flat earther, but that wouldn't necessarily paint a picture of a broken education system.

Eh OK.

Eh OK.

I'll simplify. Picking out extreme cases isn't going to paint an accurate picture of welfare.

http://extra.ie/news/irish-news/family-of-ten-were-on-too-much-welfare-to-get-a-home

Sure as people say here. People on welfare are struggling, sure it's a miserable old life.

"A couple whose sole income from welfare payments totals €48,000 have taken a court case over getting pushed off the waiting list for a council house after having their eighth child"
    Shocking :eek:

I have one kid and can't afford a second one :mad: Me and my wife get no time together because there is never a day where one of us isn't working Mon-Fri and people like this actually have the balls to bring the council to court because they want more than 8 kids. I have been on the dole myself in the past, in some cases it was a long time before I found a job but these people are expecting the state to support them and their kids for their whole lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Shocking :eek:

I have one kid and can't afford a second one :mad: Me and my wife get no time together because there is never a day where one of us isn't working Mon-Fri and people like this actually have the balls to bring the council to court because they want more than 8 kids. I have been on the dole myself in the past, in some cases it was a long time before I found a job but these people are expecting the state to support them and their kids for their whole lives.

Yes, but would you seriously swap your life for theirs?

I know I wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hcass wrote: »
    Yes, but would you seriously swap your life for theirs?

I know I wouldn't.

no. but they have a guaranteed income every week and month, without going to a job

people like that are leeches on the state
    don't have kids if you can't afford to feed, cloth and house them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Live within the law. After that everyone else can feck off

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    no. but they have a guaranteed income every week and month, without going to a job

But look at people born into wealth and you'll find life isn't fair. It goes both ways.

So what? You can be a lot worse than a leech. I say let them have it. I wouldn't want their life. They have nothing of value really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

So what? You can be a lot worse than a leech. I say let them have it. I wouldn't want their life. They have nothing of value really.
    think of all the taxpayers money they go through

What about obesity, lung disease, alcoholism and type 2 diabetes. All related to lifestyle choice and costing the taxpayer billions annually.

That's it really. I don't see the need to attack unemployed people in society. It's not a happy life when you think about it. It grates more when you see very well off people citing dole users as the core of society's problems.

It's not that much in the greater scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Cubik

Nobody is wealthy from benefits. And I wouldn't swap my life with the life of someone existing on welfare - I know I've had a better life than them, a happier upbringing and more opportunities.
    That doesn't change the fact though that there are some right freeloaders with a massive sense of entitlement and expectation - somehow the government owes them but not others - and zero sense of personal responsibility. No shame in their unshakeable belief that they should get everything for free, but others paying for it? No bother at all. They are also taking state money away from people who actually need it.

I don't see anything wrong with criticising such an attitude - in any context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TabletTease

I know someone who has followed every letter of every law, and has ended up broke, miserable, and married to someone who didn't follow every letter of every law. And they are the ones paying the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I backed up on points with links and figures.

You didn't back up your nonsense and lies with anything and then say sure I was only 40 euro out like it means nothing.

Come back when you have researched what you want to say.
    I got my figures out of my head not google pal. My brain was a little wrong so what ? That doesn't make me a liar. Couldn't be arsed googling like you.
    40 quid would go a long long way.
    You do realise we have record numbers of homeless people in the country right now. I think the minimum wage and high costs defo are a reflection of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I wandered so aimless life filled with sin
    I wouldn't let my dear saviour in
    Then Jesus came like a stranger in the night
    Praise the Lord I saw the light.

I was a fool to wander and a-stray
    Straight is the gate and narrow the way
    Now I have traded the wrong for the right
    Praise the Lord I saw the light.

The great Hank Williams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

True.
    If they're scamming the system then there's ways to report them.

There are far more wasteful areas of the govt than social welfare.

Advertisement