Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth living life right and by the rules

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

mariaalice wrote: »

Ok, is a care assistant on 11e(going by indeed thats the going rate where I live) an hour less hardworking than an accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Where is this paradise.

I would not have take you for one of the 'Its always better somewhere else' brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Ok, is a care assistant on 11e(going by indeed thats the going rate where I live) an hour less hardworking than an accountant?

Of course care work is psychically harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

watch them protest water charges all while they are still partying and generally not taking life seriously cos they have been screwed by "bankers and developers"

I know you were making a point about these people that are bothering you.

But didn't it cross your mind that the very same people directly involved in these examples you laid out are pretty much granted freedom from personal responsibility and consequences. Still partying not taking it all serious.

Just thought was funny is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have to agree with you OP, as far as I can see the less you do in this country the more you get. Every branch of society bows to those who make the most noise, and those who make the most noise are the wasters and losers with nothing else to do in their life. It is sickening to think that the tax I pay is being handed out freely to complete wasters who have never contributed one iota to society but saying all that I wouldn't swap places with them.

Say it one of those fabled lone parents that AH can be fond of and they work 30 hours a week 30 x 11 = 330 euro, however.

If you have: one child and your weekly family income is less than: €511, you will be entitled to FIS. It not a huge amount of money but the issue is not as simple as people slaving for a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

mariaalice wrote: »
    Minimum wage job are not jobs for life, if you have a family you will get family income supplement.

Go into a call centre and remind all the workers of that, so. Tell them where all the better jobs are that they should be doing instead.

The whole, minimum wage jobs are just for starting off is nowhere near the reality in this country. If it was, we wouldn't have articles like this in the newspaper
    http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/life-on-the-minimum-i-am-on-antidepressants-to-help-me-cope-3515670-Jul2017/

And we wouldn't have to be constantly increasing it, either, if it was just young people. The reason the low pay commission advised us to bring it up is because so many people are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Varadkar is going to sort this scroungers out, just wait.

I can't wait for it.

You'll be waiting. Varadkar talks a good game (and thus wins over the FG faithful) but what of note has he achieved in either of the two ministries he's held to date?

With Enda Kenny it was all about his self-imagined "legacy", but Leo is all about populist soundbites - usually about someone ELSE's brief.

He'll do fook all, except maybe trivial (by comparison) things like minimum alcohol pricing. Don't forget he is head of a fairly shaky Government that only governs with the consent of the party he and his made electable again!
    Agricola wrote: »
    I personally prefer to live in a country which doesnt have a massive, corrosive and highly noticeable divide between the haves and the have nots.

I agree with the sentiment, but that divide you speak of is very much present in Ireland today - and it's not between the unemployed and the employed, or the public sector and private sector - although politicians and media do love to pit those groups against each other to distract from the real issues in this country... the waste, corruption and old boys network that passes for a Government, upper civil service, and private/semi-state entities that piss away millions (or more) of taxpayer monies every year.

But the general Irish populace is too busy fighting over the scraps and blaming each other to see this for the most part, so the gravy train rolls on at ALL our expense.
    Aside from self respect.

Self-respect is grand and all, but it doesn't pay the bills, put a roof over your head, or keep a car on the road so you can get to a job where you lose up to half of it in return for pretty much nothing these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

ScumLord wrote: »
    now in my mid 30s and paying 50% tax on half my income I have to listen to the liberal left say I don't deserve this money and should be taxed more and these guys deserve a house, free healthcare, free travel, listen to them ****e on about how much they've been screwed by the government, watch them protest water charges , all while they are still partying and generally not taking life seriously cos they have been screwed by "bankers and developers"
     You do realise you're not talking about real people here, you're lumping generations of people that have partied into one lump of party people that only party and do nothing else. What your describing is a tabloid character made up to annoy people like you.
    So why don't we pay everyone a decent wage then? Someone has to do care work and childcare for example, both of those are low paid. If everyone 'makes an effort to earn a decent wage' then who is going to do these jobs?
    Because that's what people are willing to pay, if people wanted to pay more for things like childcare more companie would offer a more expensive service. No one decides these prices it's what the market will bare.
    yeah maybe I've over exaggerated the "party" element to these lads lives but I can assure you I know a lot of these guys and talked to them when I've gone home for weekends. they've reached their mid 30s and achieved nothing but complain that its the government, bankers, developers faults. its as plain as day its their own fault for not applying themselves in their youth but now they've kids and need a house etc..  and somehow I'm jammy/lucky git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

'We' is society, 'we' could up minimum wage to a proper living wage, then everyone would be able to afford to pay tax and whiners could shut up whining.

Yes and many low paid childcare workers are at breaking point paying for childcare also. I'm not sure why you think 'middle class' families are more important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very much a thread fail.

As soon as seen liberal in the post I just went.

Ugh another sad case

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I'm not sure why you think 'middle class' families are more important?

Shucks I don't know - Cause we pay for the running of the country maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

.... and who pays the extra?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

.... and who pays the extra?

you do of course!!

who did you think payed for it :-)

davo2001 wrote: »
    So what is stopping these people getting a degree in said field? Or is that someone elses fault also?

Sure, what's stopping you from becoming a brain surgeon, or Taoiseach, or a professional footballer? Don't tell me you're slaving away for an middling wage when you could be doing one of those jobs. Pure silliness, like.

You're right of course, just head to college and you'll be grand, hardly any recent grads end up on the dole, and there's no barriers to 3rd level education, we still have free fees and the grants have never been cut down to the bone. Oh wait... I'm still in 2004, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mitresize5 wrote: »
    you do of course!!

who did you think payed for it :-)
    With PAYE, PRSI, USc etc I think i'm paying more than i'm getting already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

What I can't get my head around is working people having to move outside Dublin and commute everyday to pay their mortgage while having to pay for someone else's rent in a nice house in the city that doesn't work or contribute anything to the pot.

I can't get my head around it, can anybody?

'We' is society, 'we' could up minimum wage to a proper living wage, then everyone would be able to afford to pay tax and whiners could shut up whining.

Yes and many low paid childcare workers are at breaking point paying for childcare also. I'm not sure why you think 'middle class' families are more important?[/quote]
    if we upped the min wage to a respectable level wouldn't the price of everything just go up? is that not simple economics? you be in a vicious cycle of increasing wages with prices increase off the back of it.

Sure, what's stopping you from becoming a brain surgeon, or Taoiseach, or a professional footballer? Don't tell me you're slaving away for an middling wage when you could be doing one of those jobs. Pure silliness, like.

You're right of course, just head to college and you'll be grand, hardly any recent grads end up on the dole, and there's no barriers to 3rd level education, we still have free fees and the grants have never been cut down to the bone. Oh wait... I'm still in 2004, sorry

Hard subjects pay off
    Unsurprisingly, engineering is a good bet wherever you study it. An engineering graduate from the University of California, Berkeley can expect to be nearly $1.1m better off after 20 years than someone who never went to college. Even the least lucrative engineering courses generated a 20-year return of almost $500,000.

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21600131-too-many-degrees-are-waste-money-return-higher-education-would-be-much-better

The evidence seem to suggest it all down to the degree you do.

listermint wrote: »
    Very much a thread fail.

As soon as seen liberal in the post I just went.

Ugh another sad case
    sad case of what? can you elaborate,
    simple question, is it worth doing everything right and by the book if it the long run people who don't, end up being the focus of our elected officials and media outlets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

What I can't get my head around is working people having to move outside Dublin and commute everyday to pay their mortgage while having to pay for someone else's rent in a nice house in the city that doesn't work or contribute anything to the pot.

I can't get my head around it, can anybody?

its kind of crazy when you look at it from that perspective alright.. the thing is, there are too many people on welfare in this country, for it to be supported solely by the tax take. There are not enough people people paying tax. Ireland is borrowing to run the country.

When were grants cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

I work in child care. I have a cert in childcare, a diploma in montessori, an arts degree and a post grad in early childhood care and education. The girls I work with have degrees too. A degree does not guarantee a good wage. Neither does a post grad or even a masters. I love working with young children. I'll never be paid well for it. It would be nice for people to realise that just because you have chosen a low paying job it does not mean you're lazy or less ambitious or deserving of the **** deal you will inevitably get...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

We all partied.

• Advertisement

Here's some more hard working chaps doing well by playing by the rules to warm your heart OP, claiming and received the artist 50k tax exemption. Haven't seen any of Tubs or Paul O'Connell's work in a gallery yet, but I look forward to it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/ryan-tubridy-paul-o-connell-approved-for-tax-exemption-of-up-to-50-000-1.3172250?mode=amp

It's pretty much indisputable that the ones who don't play by the rules and screw everyone else, are the RICH. Not the poor or unemployed. And if you think anything else, you should probably be glad of your middle class wage, cause you ain't exactly a 100W floodlight.

An unemployed person takes 10k a year from the tax pool. Basically all of it goes right back into the economy. Apple owes billions in tax and that's just one company.

Final 2 points: If the dole was abolished, would the profits of your employer or business suffer?

For most, yes, very heavily. A publican I know posted some dole bashing nonsense a few weeks back. Without the dole and pension, he'd have 2-3 nights where the place wasn't empty, and far less than he has now on the weekends too. All supermarkets would be hit, public transport, basically every retail local business

Secondly, if the dole was abolished, do you middle class martyrs think the government would put the savings back into your pocket?

Would they fup! It would go to the banking debts, Irish Water, etc just like the property tax, the road tax.

Just be grateful for what you have because the wealthy will make sure you stay middle class. They can easily fool the eejits amongst you into blaming the poor, but it's them that makes the rules, not the tracksuit wearing Dutch Gold drinking bogeyman that keeps people like OP up at night.

Advertisement