Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which 2009 Toyota to go for reliability?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Matty.C wrote: »
    Price! A Superb is comparible quality with a Passat and has more room, spec are decent on the superb too. Same engines ect... Dont think a badge warrants to spend more money

It's more than a badge. I was the case(i don't know if it still is) that vw's were better finished and had extra(some important features) absent and blanked out on the skoda equivalent. For examlple A temperature sensor on the expansion tank and a warning light on the dash on older golfs was missing and blanked out on the skoda equivalent.

The octavia didn't drive as well either, they were more noisy on the road, were less comfortable and the seats less supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Matty.C

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It's more than a badge. I was the case(i don't know if it still is) that vw's were better finished and had extra(some important features) absent and blanked out on the skoda equivalent. For examlple A temperature sensor on the expansion tank and a warning light on the dash on older golfs was missing and blanked out on the skoda equivalent.

The octavia didn't drive as well either, they were more noisy on the road, were less comfortable and the seats less supportive.

I agree with you that there are slight differences but there so marginal the majority of people wouldnt be able to tell.
    I had both octavia and a golf and honestly think the octavia was a better car overall. The seats in the octavia I actually found very good (better thatn an Audi A6 that doesnt even have lumbar support as standard) there not too bad to drive considering there a family car but the op was looking for a competent, reliable car for big mileage hence me suggesting the Superb. Im driving one with 235k miles on it and stilll driving well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Would the hyundai i40 or kia optima be better then all cars mentioned in this thread - avensis, corolla, skoda,renault etc??

Would put a 2010- Skoda Superb greenline miles ahead of a Toyota. Far better, fuel efficient.

Thanks Matty
    Are you talking about the 1.6tdi or 1.9 tdi superb greenline?

Thanks Matty
    Are you talking about the 1.6tdi or 1.9 tdi superb greenline?

1.9tdi, its a bit more old school that the 1.6tdi but has proven more reliable.

The i40 isnt a bad car either nor the Kia Optima but the latter is a bit pricey for what you get and refinement isn't as good a a VAG car always found the 1.7crdi a bit of a coarse engine but satisfaction surveys suggest people are happy with them. The warrantys with them are decent too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not if the 1.9 has a BXE engine code. Google 1.9 TDi conrod failure and you will see it's an engine killer.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not if the 1.9 has a BXE engine code. Google 1.9 TDi conrod failure and you will see it's an engine killer.

The conrod failure is usually down to lack of servicing or wrong oil leading to oil starvation.FSH is important when buying ine.

There no enginge trouble free really there one of the stronger engines of that age.

There are not as good as the old pd130 engine which was probably one of the best engines ever made but unfortunately all car that engine was fitted to are getting old and most examples are now in poor condition.

It's more than just lack of servicing. It's mainly due to poor quality rod bearings, ticking timebomb really.

I know there is no modern diesel engine trouble free but just adding a bit of counter balance to the point about the old 1.9 VAG being bullet proof.

The conrod failure is usually down to lack of servicing or wrong oil leading to oil starvation.FSH is important when buying ine.

There no enginge trouble free really there one of the stronger engines of that age.

There are not as good as the old pd130 engine which was probably one of the best engines ever made but unfortunately all car that engine was fitted to are getting old and most examples are now in poor condition.
    No it's not. They also suffer from hg failure, not just the bxe but nearly all of them.

bazz26 wrote: »

Is this in the skoda you are taking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Even Vag don't know what they were putting into the cars... ;-)
    You need a doctorate from the codes to distinguish a bomb from a tank in those cars...

http://vag-codes.info/files/engines/skoda-engines.pdf

Nearly all 1.9 tdi's from 2006 onwards were bxe engines. They won't put the conrod through the block with preventative maintenance(replacing the bearings) but without doing anything they are a ticking timebomb

Nearly all 1.9 tdi's from 2006 onwards were bxe engines. They won't put the conrod through the block with preventative maintenance(replacing the bearings) but without doing anything they are a ticking timebomb

. . . . . . Wouldn't get that with the Corolla 1.4 d4d or a skoda 1.4tsi petrol?? Hhhmmmmmm ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

grogi wrote: »
    Even Vag don't know what they were putting into the cars... ;-)
    You need a doctorate from the codes to distinguish a bomb from a tank in those cars...

http://vag-codes.info/files/engines/skoda-engines.pdf

The sticker in the spare wheel well will tell you the engine code.

jca wrote: »
    The sticker in the spare wheel well will tell you the engine code.

So will the one on the timing belt cover

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

. . . . . . Wouldn't get that with the Corolla 1.4 d4d or a skoda 1.4tsi petrol?? Hhhmmmmmm ??

Yeah, but the 1.4 TSI has its own troubles.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, but the 1.4 TSI has its own troubles.

Only the higher hp versions. The 122 is ok.

The 122bhp version has timing chain issues too. If buying one make sure the engine is not rattly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

jca wrote: »
    Only the higher hp versions. The 122 is ok.

Indeed, as long as it's not one of the twincharger yokes (they have problems with the timing chain stretching) those 1.4s are fine.

Indeed, as long as it's not one of the twincharger yokes (they have problems with the timing chain stretching) those 1.4s are fine.

The 122bhp is not immune from chain failures either.

• Advertisement

So will the one on the timing belt cover

If it's still there and legible.

The 122bhp is not immune from chain failures either.

Maybe so but they give plenty of warning before they need to be replaced, warning light on dash, rattling etc.

Advertisement