Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which 2009 Toyota to go for reliability?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Keep in mind the OP is like looking at the 07 shape Corolla. As long as you're not getting the basic fluence they're not that bad.

The 07 shape corolla is still a better car and a nicer car than a fluence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

As boring as they are my girlfriend has a 2009 Auris 1.4 diesel from new and never gave a seconds trouble and still on the original battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The 07 shape corolla is still a better car and a nicer car than a fluence.

Ah sure you only love the toyotas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

1.5dci Dacia Duster?????? Would get a 2014 one for the price of a 2010 Avensis, and better MPG?!?!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

1.5dci Dacia Duster?????? Would get a 2014 one for the price of a 2010 Avensis, and better MPG?!?!! :confused:

Would you? They're really holding their values.

OP Would you consider a Prius? More reliable and potentially cheaper to run and better specced than anything mentioned in this entire thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Depending on the type of driving the OP does a Prius mightn't be even close to a Corolla in terms of mpg.

Depending on the type of driving the OP does a Prius mightn't be even close to a Corolla in terms of mpg.

i do mostly motorway driving . about 40000 per year. plus , a little bit of towing, so i think Prius is out .

Ah sure you only love the toyotas :)

How did you come to that conclusion? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd hate to be doing 40k per year in a Duster, the suspension setup on them is fairly primitive.

the Dacia duster is a bargain basement car though with a poor interior, poor enough ride quality and well documented rust issues on indian built dusters(not sure if it was sorted on the romanian built ones) build quality in other areas of the car is also questionable.

There are more aspects to a car than just the number on the registration plate.

• Advertisement

Hence why I said potentially ;)

But with 40k motorway I'd still think it's the Avensis.

Averaging 5.7l per 100km in mine currently without much effort on similar driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Hence why I said potentially ;)

But with 40k motorway I'd still think it's the Avensis.

Averaging 5.7l per 100km in mine currently without much effort on similar driving.

49.55 mpg!! From an Avensis? Absolutely no chance in the wild earthly are you getting even the smell of it, no way. Best I've ever seen was a shade under 43 mpg over 3 fills done using good old arithmetic, the wildly optimistic display showed coincidentally enough, 49.5 mpg. Don't get me wrong they're a great car but fuel consumption is not their strong point.

jca wrote: »
    49.55 mpg!! From an Avensis? Absolutely no chance in the wild earthly are you getting even the smell of it, no way. Best I've ever seen was a shade under 43 mpg over 3 fills done using good old arithmetic, the wildly optimistic display showed coincidentally enough, 49.5 mpg. Don't get me wrong they're a great car but fuel consumption is not their strong point.
    Getting it without issue.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Getting it without issue.

If you press the accelerator you won't.

well it looks like im going with a renault fluence 2013.

About 4k cheaper than a same year / milage avensis. plus it has normal handbrake, and better mpg.

and looks just as good.

Plus, i cant find too many complaints about it on the net.

if anyone has any serious concerns please let me know !!!!!

About 4k cheaper than a same year / milage avensis. plus it has normal handbrake, and better mpg.

and looks just as good.

It's a class below an avensis so is more comparable to a corolla.

An avensis is a better car in almost every way but best of luck with it :)

and looks just as good.

Forty thousand km in a Fluence you're a brave man. Still, the taxi drivers use them a lot so they can't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Forty thousand km in a Fluence you're a brave man. Still, the taxi drivers use them a lot so they can't be that bad.

In fairness to Renault they are standing over their cars and going over and beyond with warranty work. If you are going down the renault route try and buy off a franchise dealer. The handbrake in the avensis isn't that troublesome compared to the vag version.

Or I could go for the 1.6 d skoda octavia . . . . .it's between the skoda and the Renault.

Or I could go for the 1.6 d skoda octavia . . . . .it's between the skoda and the Renault.

Skoda for me but the 2 litre engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The 1.6tdi certainly isnt a great engine anyways

Limited choice however. Nothing wrong with the Fluence but it is more comparable with a Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Best of luck with which ever brand you decide on. As is the case with forums you discover that every car has its faults and you being aware of them makes you more cautious, increasing the difficulty of find a suitable "reliable vehicle". Try and limit your risk by buying the best variant of the model you have decided on and purchase from a reputable dealer who will stand over the car.

What about the 1.4 petrol skoda (Octavia or similar)? MPG supposed to be good. Has it 6 speed gear box?

If the MPG is good, i would go for a petrol over a diesel any day, in my experience??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

is the 1.6 diesel skoda problematic?/quote]

Yes
    would the 1.5 diesel renault be better ?

Not a one from 2009... They are fine, but when owned from new and serviced on your own schedule.

Two liters diesels, especially the DW10, found in Fords, Citroens and Peugeots, are much better.

What about the 1.4 petrol skoda (Octavia or similar)? MPG supposed to be good. Has it 6 speed gear box?

If the MPG is good, i would go for a petrol over a diesel any day, in my experience??????

That's what I have, a 2009 1.4 TSI not the weedy standard 1.4. Mine is DSG and a lovely car to drive. Mpg around town is 35 mpg and long journeys 45+ is easily achieved. The best I ever got on a journey from Wexford to Belfast was 47 mpg. Hard to find petrols unfortunately. €390 tax. It'll be for sale next month I'm waiting delivery of my new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

95% of the 2009 1.4 Octavias are the ancient 80bhp version and they are 5 speed. They may also come with higher motor tax due to being an old engine with higher emissions. I wouldn't bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Matty.C

Would put a 2010- Skoda Superb greenline miles ahead of a Toyota. Far better, fuel efficient engines better interior finish and far more comfortable. Never believed Toyota reliabilty hype mk2 avensis 2.0 d4d notorious for blowing head gaskets. Certain corollas have gearbox issues. The avenisis was miles behind competitors in terms of fuel economy too. Have had a few Toyotas over the years but wouldnt switch back from a Skoda now! There a much nicer car to drive too and the styling is a bit more modern imo.... Toyotas styling of that era was a bit bland.

I would think a fluence would be a better choice the the corolla. The spec in them is decent and the good on fuel but dont think the build quality is quite as good as Skoda but still pretty decent.

Matty.C wrote: »
    Would put a 2010- Skoda Superb greenline miles ahead of a Toyota. Far better, fuel efficient engines better interior finish and far more comfortable. Never believed Toyota reliabilty hype mk2 avensis 2.0 d4d notorious for blowing head gaskets. Certain corollas have gearbox issues. The avenisis was miles behind competitors in terms of fuel economy too. Have had a few Toyotas over the years but wouldnt switch back from a Skoda now! There a much nicer car to drive too and the styling is a bit more modern imo.... Toyotas styling of that era was a bit bland.

I would think a fluence would be a better choice the the corolla. The spec in them is decent and the good on fuel but dont think the build quality is quite as good as Skoda but still pretty decent.

You do know that skoda have their own fair share of problems. Bxe engines sh1tting themselves, 1.6tdi with their egr problems and the many problems with the vag petrol engines from the soft 1.4 and 1.6 engines to the terrible 8 valve 1.6 and the turbo units with timing chain problems.

Why buy a skoda when you can have a vw with even better build quality for the similar money now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Matty.C

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Why buy a skoda when you can have a vw with even better build quality?
    Price! A Superb is comparible quality with a Passat and has more room, spec are decent on the superb too. Same engines ect... Dont think a badge warrants to spend more money

Advertisement