Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which 2009 Toyota to go for reliability?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Ok guys I know that.

Segment for a corrolla is focus, Mazda 3 etc

Segment for avensis is Mondeo, 6 etc..

Which is why I was saying if I had the choice of one or the other I don't think it's even a debate.

Avensis over corrolla every time.
    Ya but in fairness the op didn't ask about comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Avensis every time. I've owned both and there is no comparison. The avensis is better suited for motorway driving than the corolla. Plus that 6 speed corolla gearbox is to be avoided costly to repair when it does got wrong due to expensive syncros. If set on a corolla aim for the 5 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Avensis every time. I've owned both and there is no comparison. The avensis is better suited for motorway driving than the corolla. Plus that 6 speed corolla gearbox is to be avoided costly to repair when it does got wrong due to expensive syncros. If set on a corolla aim for the 5 speed.

thanks mycro2013, but why not the 6 speed corolla?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Ya but in fairness the op didn't ask about comfort.

ya, im more interested in :

1 - Reliability

2 - MPG

The corolla is not suited to motorway speeds. The avensis will do it in 6 gear at just under 2000rpm while the corolla will be sitting at 2500 plus.

That gearbox is a timebomb in the corolla. Mine went at 106000kms. 1500 Euro to fix.

• Advertisement

ya, im more interested in :

1 - Reliability

2 - MPG
    Id go for the corolla if that is your main criteria.

Id go for the corolla if that is your main criteria.

It seems both the avensis and corolla appear to have both good and bad points in terms of reliability . . . . . I test drove both 2010 models today. . .and agree that the 1.4d corolla appeared over reved when doing 70mph on the motorway.

It seems both the avensis and corolla appear to have both good and bad points in terms of reliability . . . . . I test drove both 2010 models today. . .and agree that the 1.4d corolla appeared over reved when doing 70mph on the motorway.

The key to the avensis is to drop the engine oil on the button due to the dpf regeneration and the use of genuine parts and oil. Main fault on them is the front door straps which crack which you'll notice as a slight whistle at high speed.

The corolla is way more straightfoward tbh. If you take other things into consideration the avensis is probably a better bet

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yaris has the same engine as the Corolla but better mpg.

• Advertisement

.OR , WOULD I BE BETTER OFF GET A SKODA OCTAVIA 1.6 TDI, WHERE FOR THE SAME MONEY AS THE AVENSIS I COULD GET A NEWER CAR, LESS MILAGE, AND WHAT APPEARS TO BE A BETTER SPEC , AND JUST AS NICE LOOKING?

ARE THEY A GOOD CAR?

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED PLEASE!! :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If you're considering a 09 Octavia it won't have the 1.6 engine it will be the 1.9 which is quite a reliable engine if driven properly i.e. plenty of long drives. Fuel consumption would be slightly better than the Avensis but a good bit less than the Corolla expect the mid 40's mpg actual figures. The Avensis is in a different league in regards to comfort being much quieter and nicer sprung with much less road noise. I've driven both so if you've any more questions let me know.

.OR , WOULD I BE BETTER OFF GET A SKODA OCTAVIA 1.6 TDI, WHERE FOR THE SAME MONEY AS THE AVENSIS I COULD GET A NEWER CAR, LESS MILAGE, AND WHAT APPEARS TO BE A BETTER SPEC , AND JUST AS NICE LOOKING?

ARE THEY A GOOD CAR?

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED PLEASE!! :confused::confused::confused:

Id go for the toyota.

jca wrote: »
    If you're considering a 09 Octavia it won't have the 1.6 engine it will be the 1.9 which is quite a reliable engine if driven properly i.e. plenty of long drives. Fuel consumption would be slightly better than the Avensis but a good bit less than the Corolla expect the mid 40's mpg actual figures. The Avensis is in a different league in regards to comfort being much quieter and nicer sprung with much less road noise. I've driven both so if you've any more questions let me know.

The 1.9tdi in an 09 octavia is going to be the bxe variant which is well known to put the conrod out through the block due to bottom end bearings collapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

For reliability I'd take the Toyota.

jca wrote: »

thanks JCA.

But i could get a 2010 or 2011 1.6tdi Octavia for the same price as a 2009 avensis.

Would that be any good?

In terms of the good corolla mpg, i take it your talking about the 6 speed 1.4d4d corolla, is that right?

The 1.9tdi in an 09 octavia is going to be the bxe variant which is well known to put the conrod out through the block due to bottom end bearings collapsing.

JohnBoy26, i could get a 2010 or 2011 1.6tdi octavia for same price as the 2009 avensis.

You could get a 1.5 dci Laguna III for even less and it would probably be more reliable than the Octavia

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You could get a 1.5 dci Laguna III for even less and it would probably be more reliable than the Octavia

Do you think? I thought the Laguna was only a ball of sh^te??:confused:

JohnBoy26, i could get a 2010 or 2011 1.6tdi octavia for same price as the 2009 avensis.

My verdict would still be the same, id go for the toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you think? I thought the Laguna was only a ball of sh^te??:confused:

The 2001 to 2007 Laguna II was an electrical disaster. The Laguna III from 2008 onwards was a decent car. Renault Fluence is worth considering too if your looking at something Corolla size.

There's no way a Laguna III is more reliable than CR Octavia, absolutely no way, maybe more comfortable to sit in in the higher spec versions but that's about it otherwise they're a troublesome dog.

Can't say I'd agree. The Laguna II was a ball, but you'd rarely hear a bad word about the last model. Fluence is a great option too, not as comfortable as the Laguna but still on par or ahead of a Corolla.

Can't say I'd agree. The Laguna II was a ball, but you'd rarely hear a bad word about the last model. Fluence is a great option too, not as comfortable as the Laguna but still on par or ahead of a Corolla.

God the fluence would be very low rent compared to either the Octavia or the Toyotas they're pretty grim inside, they remind me of the MK 1 Octavia which was a fine car in its day but cars have moved on a lot in those few years. I'm a great fan of the Octavia but for the Op's requirements I'd stick with the Corolla.

Keep in mind the OP is like looking at the 07 shape Corolla. As long as you're not getting the basic fluence they're not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I cannot see the Fluence being any less low rent than an Octavia to be honest. In most case the Fluence is better equipped and the finish in both cabins is similar. 1.5 DCi would be a reliable unit too with similar performance to the 1.6 TDi Octavia. Octavia would obviously offer more space and the practicality of a hatchback over a saloon boot. You'll get more Fluence for your money too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I cannot see the Fluence being any less low rent than an Octavia to be honest. In most case the Fluence is better equipped and the finish in both cabins is similar. 1.5 DCi would be a reliable unit too with similar performance to the 1.6 TDi Octavia. Octavia would obviously offer more space and the practicality of a hatchback over a saloon boot. You'll get more Fluence for your money too.

Ahhh, the fluence is a budget built car with seats like boards and a truly horrible squeaky cheapo plastic dash that would drive you insane the DCI is a good tough engine which seems to be standing the test of time and is probably less troublesome than the Cr in the Octavia. The taxi drivers use the fluence but all hate them whereas any cabbie with an Octavia actually likes them.

Which brings us back to the Laguna :) same engine. Better interior.

Which brings us back to the Laguna :) same engine. Better interior.

Ha ha, ever decreasing circles.

• Advertisement

Keep in mind the OP is like looking at the 07 shape Corolla. As long as you're not getting the basic fluence they're not that bad.

Advertisement