Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which 2009 Toyota to go for reliability?

Options
  • 26-07-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi all,

New to this , and am hoping it will be of help.
    I’m looking to change my car, and thinking about one of the following:

- 2009 1.4 Diesel Corolla (6 speed)
    - 2009 2.0 Diesel Avensis Old Shape MK2 (6 speed,with indicator light on the wing mirror)
    - 2009 2.0 Diesel Avensis New Shape MK3 (6 speed, electronic handbrake)

Can anyone here who knows anything about cars, or owned one of the above, tell me which would be the most reliable car to go for, including good mpg? All cars are fully serviced, checked etc, with about 160km on the clock.
    I will be doing about 40,000 kilometres a year, most of which will be motorway driving.

Looking to avoid trouble like turbo, flywheel, electronics , oil pumps etc etc etc

PLEASE TAKE MY POLL ATTACHED IF YOU HAVE SOME KNOWLEDGE OR PAST EXPERIENCE TO DO SO.

Advice much appreciated.

WHICH TOYOTA TO GO FOR RELIABILITY AND GOOD MPG 22 votes

2009 1.4 Diesel Corolla (6 speed)
    0% 0 votes
    2009 2.0 Diesel Avensis Old Shape MK2 (6 speed,with indicator light on the wing mirror)
    50% 11 votes
    2009 2.0 Diesel Avensis New Shape MK3 (6 speed, electronic handbrake)
    50% 11 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If price is the same for them all then I'd go for the Mk3 avensis, it being newer technology and new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

If price is the same for them all then I'd go for the Mk3 avensis, it being newer technology and new model.

MK3 avensis a bit more expensive , but id go for it if i knew it wasnt going to give any touble. Dont like the electronic handbrake . . . .i had a passat before with this and it gave nothing but trouble.

Were the 2008 -2009 MK2 avensis (2.0 , 6 speed) as good as the earlier 2004 - 2006 ones, can anyone tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 6 speed is better than the 5 speed. The timing chain can give bother on the post 06 ones the odd time but the 03-06 is a minefield in comparison.
    the Corolla is reliable but it's not comparable to an Avensis in terms of comfort.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 6 speed is better than the 5 speed. The timing chain can give bother on the post 06 ones the odd time but the 03-06 is a minefield in comparison.
    the Corolla is reliable but it's not comparable to an Avensis in terms of comfort.

thanks Colm_mcm,

So, are you saying that a 2009 MK2 would be better than the older 03-06 MK2?

I was told that the 07-09 MK 2 6 speed (model with the indicator lights on the side mirrors) were a disaster, and no match for the 03-06 models, and gave trouble with flywheels etc????

I've found the opposite. The 03-06 have troubles with release bearing and flywheels much more than the 06-09 type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have you at anything beyond Toyota?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have you at anything beyond Toyota?

iv looked at a few, but would be nervous enough with most of them, after a few bad experiences in the past . Want to play it safe with the toyota.

I know the I40 is good , but too over my budget as only came out in 2012. Need a family car.

But if anyone knows of somthing to match the toyota in 2008-09 years, please enlighten me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Out of those 3 I'd take the new model Avensis. It's well built and will be more comfortable on long journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Doesn't the nearside shaft have a problem with snapping on the 6 speed due to the rubber damper holding water...?

Doesn't the nearside shaft have a problem with snapping on the 6 speed due to the rubber damper holding water...?

Is that in the Avensis? MK2 or MK3?

• Advertisement

DOES THE ELECTRIC HANDBRAKE IN THE 2009 NEW SHAPE AVENSIS GIVE ANY TROUBLE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

DOES THE ELECTRIC HANDBRAKE IN THE 2009 NEW SHAPE AVENSIS GIVE ANY TROUBLE?

It can do. The facelift 2012 avensis has a more reliable electric handbrake setup.

Around 2008 when electric handbrakes were becoming the norm almost all makes and models gave bother in some form or another.

For 40,000km a year motorway driving a well spec'd 09 mk3 avensis would be your best bet for comfort. They have very good seats. Just be wary as there are quite a few ex UK fleet cars and ex taxi's coming on the market so look for a full service history and do a full history check for any potential purchase.

It can do. The facelift 2012 avensis has a more reliable electric handbrake setup.

Around 2008 when electric handbrakes were becoming the norm almost all makes and models gave bother in some form or another.

For 40,000km a year motorway driving a well spec'd 09 mk3 avensis would be your best bet for comfort. They have very good seats. Just be wary as there are quite a few ex UK fleet cars and ex taxi's coming on the market so look for a full service history and do a full history check for any potential purchase.

But dont want to forking out money on fixing the handbreak , as you said. Im not too bothered about comfort. Would the MK2 not be a better purchase then, with the normal handbrake?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭selectamatic

But dont want to forking out money on fixing the handbreak , as you said. Im not too bothered about comfort. Would the MK2 not be a better purchase then, with the normal handbrake?

Perhaps but the mk2 would want to be an awful lot cheaper as it will look quite dated.

I maintain these late reg mk1 tdi octavia's are the best blend of simplicity and reliability in a cheap tax bundle. But ya they're very bland and uninspiring. Could be an option for ya although I wouldn't give the colour of 4k for one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-classic-tdi-tax-280-nct-feb18/16150693

Everyone at this stage has said the new Avensis. All will have pros and cons as has been outlined. Just get the one you like the most. At the end of the day they're all used cars in which anything could go wrong.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Everyone at this stage has said the new Avensis. All will have pros and cons as has been outlined. Just get the one you like the most. At the end of the day they're all used cars in which anything could go wrong.

Very true ba Barabus and thanks for your comment But as I've recently learnt the hard way some model cars give much more trouble than others, even if they are the same make.! And not everyone is saying the new avensis. My poll is swaying towards the Corolla for reliability, which is the information I'm looking to find out.

PLEASE KEEP THE COMMENTS , OPINIONS , POLLS COMING TO ANYONE WHO HAS SOMETHING TO SHARE.

As regards Corolla look into gearbox issues. Not sure what years it affects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Perhaps but the mk2 would want to be an awful lot cheaper as it will look quite dated.

I maintain these late reg mk1 tdi octavia's are the best blend of simplicity and reliability in a cheap tax bundle. But ya they're very bland and uninspiring. Could be an option for ya although I wouldn't give the colour of 4k for one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-classic-tdi-tax-280-nct-feb18/16150693

Aww Jaysus 40,000 km a year in one of them would be pretty grim compared to any Toyota, that 1.9 TDI is fairly dated now. I'd go for the Corolla out of the three on offer. I find the driving position in the new model Avensis very cramped the cabin feels very claustrophobic.

jca wrote: »
    Aww Jaysus 40,000 km a year in one of them would be pretty grim compared to any Toyota, that 1.9 TDI is fairly dated now. I'd go for the Corolla out of the three on offer. I find the driving position in the new model Avensis very cramped the cabin feels very claustrophobic.

Would the MPG of the 1.4d corolla be as good as the 2.0 avensis??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Would the MPG of the 1.4d corolla be as good as the 2.0 avensis??

Way way better on fuel than the Avensis, anyone I know who has one says they'll run on the smell of diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ba_barabus wrote: »
    As regards Corolla look into gearbox issues. Not sure what years it affects

Gearbox issues aren't as common as they seem. One bearing in the box is usually the culprit and any competent mechanic should be able to replace the bearings. I say bearings because there is another one there that should be replace also for good practice.

All in all the d4d in the corolla is an extremely reliable unit and is less complex than the engine in the avensis.

Way way better on fuel than the Avensis, anyone I know who has one says they'll run on the smell of diesel.

even on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Is that in the Avensis? MK2 or MK3?

Mk2 6 speed, due to the rubber damper. Haven't heard about the Mk3

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Gearbox issues aren't as common as they seem. One bearing in the box is usually the culprit and any competent mechanic should be able to replace the bearings. I say bearings because there is another one there that should be replace also for good practice.

All in all the d4d in the corolla is an extremely reliable unit and is less complex than the engine in the avensis.
    They never seemed common to me nor did I say they were. They're just an issue which can crop up. To be honest I think the OP should pick the one they like the most as they're splitting hairs between them. I'd personally prefer the newer Avensis, then older one then Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

For high mileage, you need something that's relatively comfortable and that makes you feel reasonably good (and 40k km per year is pretty high, I'm doing 35k km per year and it feels like a lot of time in the car). Stuff that was never a factor for me before has become much more important now I drive a lot (used to hardly drive at all). Seats, driving position, stereo, general performance. Also helps if you get some sort of satisfaction from the vehicle.

I would def get something with cruise control and lumbar support for example, which rules the Corolla out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I would def get something with cruise control and lumbar support for example, which rules the Corolla out.

My wife got a 2014 corrolla recently, top of the range model as well thankfully as that's its only saving grace, but by god they are a miserable car to sit in.

Very uncomfortable, I couldn't wait to get back to my 2010 Mazda 6 and let's be fair it's not exactly a luxury car.

The corrolla seems cheap and plasticky. Closing the doors sound like tin vs the solid clunk of my 6.

The Avensis's, 6 or Mondeo are all that but nicer than they're small counterparts.

Also a million Irish taxi drivers can't be wrong about the avensis

It's just a lower market segment. It would be in line with a Jettta or focus saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My wife got a 2014 corrolla recently, top of the range model as well thankfully as that's its only saving grace, but by god they are a miserable car to sit in.

Very uncomfortable, I couldn't wait to get back to my 2010 Mazda 6 and let's be fair it's not exactly a luxury car.

The corrolla seems cheap and plasticky. Closing the doors sound like tin vs the solid clunk of my 6.

The Avensis's, 6 or Mondeo are all that but nicer than they're small counterparts.

Also a million Irish taxi drivers can't be wrong about the avensis

A more fairer comparison would be to the Mazda3 rather than the Avensis or 6 from the next segment up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok guys I know that.

Segment for a corrolla is focus, Mazda 3 etc

Segment for avensis is Mondeo, 6 etc..

Which is why I was saying if I had the choice of one or the other I don't think it's even a debate.

Avensis over corrolla every time.

Advertisement