Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Lot of questions posed about how AJ will react to being tagged. He's as prepared for it now as he ever will be. It's important to consider how Ruiz reacts. Last time out he came through at least two huge shots. I don't know if he will do that again. AJ is a huge man with massive reach and power. I think he will keep it long for 3/4 rounds and if he hasn't already then a big hit or two will come in. I think AJ ko in 8 or earlier. I'm so sure of it this time round.

He didn't panic either when he got hit. He didn't expect it and it took away all of his equilibrium. He never regained his senses and that's why he was ragged and wobbly and talking weirdly in the corner. He couldn't snap out of it. I don't think it's a mindset thing. The bruno comparison.. I dunno if that's fair. He was in big trouble against Wlad and didn't wilt. Povetkin too got a few digs in and he grinded it out. I never, ever thought I'd be on here bigging up AJ!

Caught by Whyte too and he came through it.

Basically hes been clipped by anyone good hes faced. I'd suspect tomorrow will be no different. He'll likely get hit with at least something significant you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,772 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't say AJ panicked either just the way Ruiz caught him he was properly concussed.

I would tend to agree the rumours beforehand about AJ being KO'd in sparring or that he had a panic attack. He certainly didn't seem right on the night.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 55,002 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. Basically how will his questionable chin hold up

It’s more his reactions and behaviour than chin alone...

Anyone can be hurt, it is how they cope and manage it that can see them succeed

AJ seems to get flustered, unsure, doubting etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Good points on the wlad and povetkin fights. I'd add the whyte fight to the mix too.

It all boils down to mindset.

Whyte tagged him with a peach of a shot but Aj regrouped and then had the look of a killer about him. He genuinely enjoyed hurting whyte and slowly breaking him down he needs some of this mindset again on Saturday.

Hmmm I'm not sure the Whyte shot was all that good. He stunned him though yea. He got a few shots in and aj dismantled him then. Whyte yapping on about this golden opportunity he had to ko joshua is nonsense. Anyhow that's not the issue at hand here.

Ok I'll allow the mindset argument for why he got hit. He was foolish and didn't focus well then got caught. After he was hit it shook him to his boots. His mindset then isn't relevant for me. The quitting argument is a funny one, we're maybe back to mindset then but at the same time he was going to be battered. It's questionable. That nice and clear?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭ebbsy

So lads who should I put my cash on tomorrow night, and what method ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ebbsy wrote: »
    So lads who should I put my cash on tomorrow night,

Man City. I wouldn't touch the boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Dillian Whyte comes in very heavy at 273lbs

So lads who should I put my cash on tomorrow night, and what method ?

Sorry did not see the betting thread.

Hunter 226
    Povetkin 229

Fairly heavy for Hunter.

AJ 237lbs
    Ruiz 283lbs

Ruiz wearing a t-shirt, trousers and hat.

• Advertisement

AJ 237lbs
    Ruiz 283lbs

Ruiz wearing a t-shirt, trousers and hat.

And 8 burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So AJ just under 17 stone, Is that his lightest?
    Ruiz is just over 20 stone possibly his heaviest?

The idea that you can draw everything from a small sample size is beyond daft, especially when it comes to getting your bell rung/knocked down.
    Just from when I was a kid playing football and the like I remember times I got dazed and kept going but wasn't right for a week. One time I got knocked out for about 5 seconds and was completely fine afterwards.
    Just because someone's legs aren't completely jelly doesn't mean they've recovered and maybe sometimes it's a question of will but other times the brain has checked out completely.

The idea that you can draw everything from a small sample size is beyond daft, especially when it comes to getting your bell rung/knocked down.
    Just from when I was a kid playing football and the like I remember times I got dazed and kept going but wasn't right for a week. One time I got knocked out for about 5 seconds and was completely fine afterwards.
    Just because someone's legs aren't completely jelly doesn't mean they've recovered and maybe sometimes it's a question of will but other times the brain has checked out completely.

Who argued that you can draw everything from a sample in size?

Your examples are interesting but that's hardly forensic, scientific research.

It's AJ's lightest since 2014.
    Ruiz was only heavier in his first 2 fights in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That's the lightest I can remember AJ weighing in at, he looks in great nick tbh doesn't have that juiced look about him that he usually does. Looking forward to seeing if he's that bit more agile for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Joshua looking for speed and Ruiz for power.

Im going with Ruiz by KO 5th or 6th

Could Ruiz been injured in camp ?
    Hes come in a good 25 lbs heavier than the first fight that 1.7 stone ?
    Maybe he hasn't been able to train seems like an awful lot of weight ,

Who argued that you can draw everything from a sample in size?

Your examples are interesting but that's hardly forensic, scientific research.

I'm not saying anyone's experience is forensic or scientific, just that drawing anything about Joshua's mindset for taking a thump from the last fight isn't verl sensible.
    Even for the first knockdown it wasn't a clean, light-out shot. He could take 5 harder shots and unless they ring his bell in the same specific way he could walk through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jesus Ruiz is a big boy. If he doesn't get AJ out of there hows he gonna fare in the later rounds? How does AJ fare getting hit by Ruiz with another stone behind him??

Swear to God there's way more answers than questions in this one.

I did a bit of a write up for my own interest but if anybody wanted a look it's here:

https://link.medium.com/1MPBDQ0rb2

• Advertisement

I'm not saying anyone's experience is forensic or scientific, just that drawing anything about Joshua's mindset for taking a thump from the last fight isn't verl sensible.
    Even for the first knockdown it wasn't a clean, light-out shot. He could take 5 harder shots and unless they ring his bell in the same specific way he could walk through them.

It's the things he said in the corner that made me question his mindset "why am I feeling like this, what's he gonna do next, what punch did he hit me with" etc. Personally I've never seen a champion asking his corner things like that between rounds whether they were wobbled or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Lot of questions posed about how AJ will react to being tagged. He's as prepared for it now as he ever will be. It's important to consider how Ruiz reacts. Last time out he came through at least two huge shots. I don't know if he will do that again. AJ is a huge man with massive reach and power. I think he will keep it long for 3/4 rounds and if he hasn't already then a big hit or two will come in. I think AJ ko in 8 or earlier. I'm so sure of it this time round.

He didn't panic either when he got hit. He didn't expect it and it took away all of his equilibrium. He never regained his senses and that's why he was ragged and wobbly and talking weirdly in the corner. He couldn't snap out of it. I don't think it's a mindset thing. The bruno comparison.. I dunno if that's fair. He was in big trouble against Wlad and didn't wilt. Povetkin too got a few digs in and he grinded it out. I never, ever thought I'd be on here bigging up AJ!

Interesting point about him not wilting against Wlad when in trouble. Id counter with this though, when hurt against a combination thrower like Ruiz, AJ just couldnt see the shots coming. With Wlad you get that guard up pronto, Ruiz throws variations not seen by many heavyweights.

Not placing Ruiz ahead of Wlad in the HW roll of honour but its just I think his style is all wrong for AJ. The Parker fight is closest blue print AJ should follow but even at that, Ruiz is braver and will look to fight.

AJ is an athlete/gym bunny turn boxer. Ruiz is a fighter, maybe not an elite one but his experience greatly outweighs AJs. Reaction to being tagged by an opponent who senses blood in the water is a key attribute. AJ has zero head movement.

Saying that AJ should be using his dimensions to keep this fight at range, he has the power to keep Ruiz honest. He should be fighting cautiously to a points victory. Even though he can pop himself, AJ wont want this fight opening up as a slugfest as Ruiz throws when you are throwing. He is not a traditional euro HW who throws, covers up, and throws. He can slip a shot and is brave to thrown when an opponent is launching offence.

AJ is most vulnerable when he lets his own hands go.

weemcd wrote: »
    Jesus Ruiz is a big boy. If he doesn't get AJ out of there hows he gonna fare in the later rounds? How does AJ fare getting hit by Ruiz with another stone behind him??

Swear to God there's way more answers than questions in this one.

I did a bit of a write up for my own interest but if anybody wanted a look it's here:

https://link.medium.com/1MPBDQ0rb2

Great write up bud you had me at the Wu Tang reference. clearly Ruiz had us all fooled into thinking he was dropping weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Great write up bud you had me at the Wu Tang reference. clearly Ruiz had us all fooled into thinking he was dropping weight.

You're the first one to pick up The Wu Tang reference, so thank you.

But yes Ruiz is actually quite good at the mind games. If he tags Joshua early I think it's curtains.

This is Whyte at the weigh-in

ELG44baXkAA1cXN.jpg

If AJ has any brains he will drag Ruiz into the second half of the fight, no way he carries that weight around for that long.

Rounds 7-9 stoppage by Joshua for me.

ELG44baXkAA1cXN.jpg

He only had 2 weeks notice
    Or maybe his last test did find something and he's had to come off it ,

If AJ has any brains he will drag Ruiz into the second half of the fight, no way he carries that weight around for that long.

Easier said than done ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

He has no record of gassing though. He was actually heavier for his 2nd pro fight back in 2009 believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ELG44baXkAA1cXN.jpg

Looks like he's been on the Benni McCarthy diet

Advertisement