Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Muller1991 wrote: »
    Hi All

I was heading southbound on the M50 yesterday at roughly 16:00, I was Heading for Dundrum /Sandyford. When I was just passed Firhouse, I noticed a Dublin Coach approaching in the outside lane at speed, I was doing 100 kph and he was easily doing 110-120 kph, Gradually he began to slow down and cut across into the middle lane right behind me. I began to merge into the inside lane as I was exiting towards Dundrum.

As I was on the slip road the bus then came up beside me and cut across me withing inches i would nearly say and this is no exaggeration. Road rage immediately struck and I beeped my horn at him and he flashed the hazard etc.

From reading the thread I can see this is not uncommon, What I would like to know is has anyone ever made a complaint against this company and if so was there any response Or just a generic reply ?

Thanks in Advance

The only way is traffic watch.

The company will do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Thanks for the reply @punisher5112.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi All

I was heading southbound on the M50 yesterday at roughly 16:00, I was Heading for Dundrum /Sandyford. When I was just passed Firhouse, I noticed a Dublin Coach approaching in the outside lane at speed, I was doing 100 kph and he was easily doing 110-120 kph, Gradually he began to slow down and cut across into the middle lane right behind me. I began to merge into the inside lane as I was exiting towards Dundrum.

As I was on the slip road the bus then came up beside me and cut across me withing inches i would nearly say and this is no exaggeration. Road rage immediately struck and I beeped my horn at him and he flashed the hazard etc.

From reading the thread I can see this is not uncommon, What I would like to know is has anyone ever made a complaint against this company and if so was there any response Or just a generic reply ?

Thanks in Advance

Sadly, this is the norm, not the exception. What You describe I have seen many times coming off the M50 onto the N7. Indeed I have seen them stay in the outside lane on the slip from the M50 to the N7, and then barge their way across to the Luas P&R exit. Crazy stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sadly, this is the norm, not the exception. What You describe I have seen many times coming off the M50 onto the N7. Indeed I have seen them stay in the outside lane on the slip from the M50 to the N7, and then barge their way across to the Luas P&R exit. Crazy stuff!

That's a design issue with the junction itself. Whoever thought the layout was good, should be shot. I turn back on ballymount, instead of exiting at red cow because of it.

That's a design issue with the junction itself. Whoever thought the layout was good, should be shot. I turn back on ballymount, instead of exiting at red cow because of it.

Totally agree with You, but these green monsters still coming around the bend on the outside lane?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Totally agree with You, but these green monsters still coming around the bend on the outside lane?

Whether they are on that lane, or the one beside, makes little difference when theres another 4 to cross over within 100 metres to get to the luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Farfromhome02

It would be interesting to know if they pay by the day or the hour for the drivers

I know having drove by the hour and or getting payed by the day your driving style would slightly change

Personally I think the daily rate should be got rid of for professional truck and bus drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Are you blaming the road for their inability to drive safely ?. Many,many people make that manoeuvre every day. They know they have to do it so should position themselves accordingly.

Happened me again yesterday at the same junction although this was late in the evening at 9pm. The M50 was really quiet and I could see that there was absolutely no need whatsoever for the bus to be in the outside lane as I had only come across about 10 cars between Tallaght /Spawell and Dundrum exit.

I was in the slip road and again he barged in on front of me after cutting across from the middle lane and into the Slip road.

Sent a complaint this morning to Dublin Coach so i will let y'all no what the generic reply is

Are you blaming the road for their inability to drive safely ?. Many,many people make that manoeuvre every day. They know they have to do it so should position themselves accordingly.

No. But poor design leads to poor decisions.

I've seen people almost mill themselves into a wall plenty of times because they saw a clear stretch of road ahead of them, then suddenly remembered they needed to change lanes.

Every morning i see people who use a lane for turning right at a junction, in order to proceed straight through it instead, because they don't want to sit behind 5 cars at a red light.

None of those, I'd suggest the road layout is problematic, and the issue is solely with the drivers attitude there. But that junction was designed, without thinking of how traffic exiting at red cow from the m50 south bound, get to monastery road, clearly and safely. It's not possible to it. The lack of accidents there amazes me. The only way to make it across, is to completely disregard what we've learned when taking up driving.

They've also now increased the speed limit in that area too. It used to be 80 from just after the bridge. It's now 80 from the junctions themselves. They've also done this at the n4. Where traffic exits that junction from 3 different directions and may want to cross over itself in 3 different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

No. But poor design leads to poor decisions.

I've seen people almost mill themselves into a wall plenty of times because they saw a clear stretch of road ahead of them, then suddenly remembered they needed to change lanes.

Every morning i see people who use a lane for turning right at a junction, in order to proceed straight through it instead, because they don't want to sit behind 5 cars at a red light.

None of those, I'd suggest the road layout is problematic, and the issue is solely with the drivers attitude there. But that junction was designed, without thinking of how traffic exiting at red cow from the m50 south bound, get to monastery road, clearly and safely. It's not possible to it. The lack of accidents there amazes me. The only way to make it across, is to completely disregard what we've learned when taking up driving.

They've also now increased the speed limit in that area too. It used to be 80 from just after the bridge. It's now 80 from the junctions themselves. They've also done this at the n4. Where traffic exits that junction from 3 different directions and may want to cross over itself in 3 different ways.

I'm 100% in agreement with you as to the shyte design of this and many,many other on and off ramps on the M50. A child would design better(and safer).
    My issue is the drivers in DC just bull their way across 4/5lanes of carriageway ,using their size to intimidate other road users
    Had the very same happen to me with Darby o Gill stuck up my hole through the roadworks in Naas he was no more than 12 inches from my bumper.

While Dublin coach have a higher frequency of that behaviour, they aren't alone and shouldn't be solely called out on it as if the issue is just themselves. Which was the impression from mentioning that junction earlier.

The only way is traffic watch.

The company will do nothing.

Sorry to plead ignorance, but what/who is Traffic Watch? It/they run by the Gardaí?

Sorry to plead ignorance, but what/who is Traffic Watch? It/they run by the Gardaí?

1890 number it's a Garda run but civilian agent you talk to.

I've used it on a few occasions for very dangerous incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

1890 number it's a Garda run but civilian agent you talk to.

I've used it on a few occasions for very dangerous incidents.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Victim-Services/Reporting-a-crime-FAQs/Can-I-report-bad-driving-.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Using one for the first time ever today

Worst condition interior I've seen other than some 70s school buses still in use in the 90s (private operators - although BE likely had ones that old too). Tray table unlatches any time the bus goes up hill!

L1011 wrote: »
    Using one for the first time ever today

Worst condition interior I've seen other than some 70s school buses still in use in the 90s (private operators - although BE likely had ones that old too). Tray table unlatches any time the bus goes up hill!

That's an onboard safety feature to keep you from sliding off the seat on the way down.... ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Spotted one of their buses broken down just off the M9 in kilkenny yesterday.
    Comical how often I seem to see these buses pulled up with the orange triangle out.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the office just to know how frequently their busses clap out.

I was coming up Monastery Road in Clondalkin on Tuesday and heading for the M50 N. As I came around the bend onto the slip road onto the M50, There was one of the green monsters stopped dead with it's hazard lights on. One of the doors for luggage on the drivers side was open and containers of red liquid all over the road. At least the driver got out of his throne and collected the containers.

What a transport company:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

I have been told that Dublin coach have sold there City Tour and they are being painted red not sure who has bought it. also talks are on going with Volvo bus and coach about new coaches but there are few minor things to sort out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have been told that Dublin coach have sold there City Tour and they are being painted red not sure who has bought it. also talks are on going with Volvo bus and coach about new coaches but there are few minor things to sort out

Haven't heard anything myself.

May well be that it becomes the CitySightseeing franchise for Dublin, since the transitional period from CitySightseeing to Big Bus Dublin is almost at an end and after that there will be no connection with the two.

City Sightseeing and Big Bus are rival franchises generally but there has been a transitional period since the Dulway sightseeing business was bought out by Big Bus Dublin, since the contract for Dulway to provide services to City Sightseeing had some time to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

Dublin Coach sold all the open tops to extreme Ireland. That’s were their going red as they have the franchise now for city sightseeing i understand new tours are starting 1st of May all re branded under city sightseeing Dublin doing the old cityscape route

Just seen one of their 2004 Neoplans making a very unhealthy noise as well as an engine roar as well as battered as hell wetl worn rear body and paint work.

Then a merc turns up in need of a good few new panels or a bodyshop to sort them out as it has dents and bits chipped away in a good few places.

Was that at the red cow by any chance ? Seen one of the 04 Neoplans struggling to go up the off ramp from m50 towards the red cow yesterday.

Was that at the red cow by any chance ? Seen one of the 04 Neoplans struggling to go up the off ramp from m50 towards the red cow yesterday.

Yeah. Was on the Luas at the time. Did seem to be moving pretty slowly but didn't see it for long enough to properly judge.

More than likely the same one then. It certainly didn't look road worthy from where I was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

More than likely the same one then. It certainly didn't look road worthy from where I was driving.

Most of them are fairly battered looking, even the newer ones.

The green paint job probably doesn't help as they look dirty and grimy most of the time too

Dublin Coach sold all the open tops to extreme Ireland. That’s were their going red as they have the franchise now for city sightseeing i understand new tours are starting 1st of May all re branded under city sightseeing Dublin doing the old cityscape route

Spoken to a very good contact in the tourism industry who believes that City Sightseeing have concluded a deal with Dublin Bus to sell tickets for their tour which will continue to be branded with the DoDublin name.

There's also talk of Dublin Bus expanding their DoDublin operation for tours with some new services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

devnull wrote: »
    Spoken to a very good contact in the tourism industry who believes that City Sightseeing have concluded a deal with Dublin Bus to sell tickets for their tour which will continue to be branded with the DoDublin name.

There's also talk of Dublin Bus expanding their DoDublin operation for tours with some new services.

Just saw a DoDublin AV/AX on Parnell Square that has a "City Sightseeing Tickets accepted here" sign on the nearside beside the door, so seems that contact was Correct.

• Advertisement

p_haugh wrote: »
    Just saw a DoDublin AV/AX on Parnell Square that has a "City Sightseeing Tickets accepted here" sign on the nearside beside the door, so seems that contact was Correct.

That's a big coup for Dublin Bus, they have their own brand and the brand that until recently was used as their biggest competitor all under one roof, it will be tough for Big Bus to compete with that and I can't see three open top tours being viable with a strengthened DB operation.

With the oldest fleet, the least comprehensive service etc, I really can't see CityScape being anything other than a poor investment for Extreme Ireland truth be told unless they have a lot of cash to spend or something really innovative up their sleeves.

Advertisement