Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Coach Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Looking at the picture, it's not only the caps that are missing but it appears also the studs.

THAT IS DANGEROUS!!!

Studs are in behind the fancy chrome cover.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looking at the picture, it's not only the caps that are missing but it appears also the studs.

THAT IS DANGEROUS!!!

Zoom in, you can see the three wheel nuts fine. Having a selective approach to the indicator covers is sloppy; but the nuts are all there.

I can't think of any reason you'd have just three off (and the rest still in alignment) so they *might* have been swiped by a kid or something; but at the very least its another poor image from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dublin coach might be bad but I doubt even they drive around large buses with missing wheel nuts !

New coaches due in the early 2020 the deal is signed some of the coaches will go on to the belfast route with the 181 mercs going on to route 300 and the 161 mercs going on to the cork route all the Neopkan deckers are now off the road and the Ex arch setreas will follow

Upgrades can’t come soon enough. The Waterford M9 route has become very popular but the buses are just terrible. Puts me off getting them completely. The Setras are like falling apart coffins at this stage. The maintenance alone must be massive

road_high wrote: »
    Upgrades can’t come soon enough. The Waterford M9 route has become very popular but the buses are just terrible. Puts me off getting them completely. The Setras are like falling apart coffins at this stage. The maintenance alone must be massive

They were tired when aircoach retired them....

Serious mileage on them.,..

Burnt out is too nice a word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Dublin coach might be bad but I doubt even they drive around large buses with missing wheel nuts !

Go back in this thread, they have had at least 1 coach loose a wheel in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

L1011 wrote: »
    Zoom in, you can see the three wheel nuts fine. Having a selective approach to the indicator covers is

sloppy; but the nuts are all there.

I can't think of any reason you'd have just three off (and the rest still in alignment) so they *might* have been swiped by a kid or something; but at the very least its another poor image from them.

I'm not so sure there are 3 wheel nuts behind the chrome cover. It looks to me like there is a gaping hole where the nuts ought to be. Besides, what do You think holds the plastic green nut covers in place then?

Edit: on second look, it's actually hard to say if there are or not nuts there. Perhaps, I'm a case for specsavers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I can see clearly that wheel has a full set of nuts on it

Only the plastic green cover is missing.

Anyway, it wasn't that long ago a wheel fell off a dublin bus while in service

Also where are dublin buses wheel nut indicators ? Oh yeah they don't have any !

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I like the setras, but only for the seat and legroom. The heaters dont work and usually rattle all over the place. But they are the comfiest coach to catch to Dublin from Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I can see clearly that wheel has a full set of nuts on it

Only the plastic green cover is missing.

Anyway, it wasn't that long ago a wheel fell off a dublin bus while in service

Also where are dublin buses wheel nut indicators ? Oh yeah they don't have any !

Not all owners or operators use these Indicators.
    They are not a mandatory fitment,but rather an aid to early detection of loosening wheelnuts,particularly on fleets which recieve less preventitive maintenance.
    It is almost invariably the Nearside Rear set of wheelnuts which loosen,something which is the focus of much study in the Commercial Vehicle industry.
    The DublinCoach Vehicle wheel pictured,is a trailing steered axle with one wheel and has a full set of Wheelnuts/studs,with the remaining indicators showing no issues with security.

Many larger operators,such as Dublin Bus,use plastic markers only to indicate individual wheels due a re-torquing (part of a set procedure) after a wheel/tyre change,with All vehicles then being physically checked by Maintenance Staff on a strict rota.
    Each check must be signed for and recorded,and the Torque Wrenches also must be checked,trued up and signed off on a regular basis.

The last wheel shedding incident in Dublin Bus was four years ago.

With Dublin Bus operating 1,010 vehicles operating 57,000,000 Km per anum,over a daily 20 hour window,thats 40,000 plus wheelnuts being regularly checked,which is reflected in the lack of wheel dislocation incidents.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

In db we check each day before the bus goes out....

There was a bus lost the complete rear two on one side but it was found to be a faulty hub and it snapped off.

Maintenance have a routine check and when a wheel is changed they go back at it the next day and torque tighten by hand with a huge extension bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi folks, wondering if anyone can help me figure something out.

I understand that Dublin Coach operates Limerick City routes 307 and 308 under contract to the National Transport Authority. Because of this, are they under contract to stick the timetabled slots published?

I ask because yesterday when waiting for the last bus of the day, we saw the bus continue straight up O'Connell St. instead of turning right up William St. where the bus stop is. We waited in case he was coming back but he didn't, meaning we were left stranded and had to pay for a taxi home. Looks like the driver decided to finish early and not do the last route of the night.

If indeed Dublin Coach are obliged to stick to the timetabled routes under the contract terms, then I wonder if they can/should be penalized for such breaches.

eljono wrote: »

I understand that Dublin Coach operates Limerick City routes 307 and 308 under contract to the National Transport Authority. Because of this, are they under contract to stick the timetabled slots published?

I ask because yesterday when waiting for the last bus of the day, we saw the bus continue straight up O'Connell St. instead of turning right up William St. where the bus stop is. We waited in case he was coming back but he didn't, meaning we were left stranded and had to pay for a taxi home. Looks like the driver decided to finish early and not do the last route of the night.

If indeed Dublin Coach are obliged to stick to the timetabled routes under the contract terms, then I wonder if they can/should be penalized for such breaches.

Contact the NTA and DC and send them a copy of the receipt.
    They will have to reimburse.

Yes they must do the route and 1st and last bus are the most important and must run.

They have to provide the services they are getting well paid to provide.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

eljono wrote: »

The routes are comercially licensed, self funded, privately operated services and they are not operated under contract to the National Transport Authority, so your first port of call should be the operator and if they do not resolve it then you can contact the NTA, but they have less power than they do over directly contracted, publicily funded routes.
    They have to provide the services they are getting well paid to provide.

They are not paid anything for the routes.

To be fair, it is busy enough to go hourly now. Many many times, they leave people behind even at the first stop in Dublin.

devnull wrote: »
    The routes are comercially licensed, self funded, privately operated services and they are not operated under contract to the National Transport Authority, so your first port of call should be the operator and if they do not resolve it then you can contact the NTA, but they have less power than they do over directly contracted, publicily funded routes.

They are not paid anything for the routes.

Brain fart.... Apologies I had go ahead in my head for some unknown reason....

Really don't know how I done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Brain fart.... Apologies I had go ahead in my head for some unknown reason....

Really don't know how I done that.

Senior moments, many of us have them.

tabbey wrote: »
    Senior moments, many of us have them.

You said it, usually it's I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago....

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    To be fair, it is busy enough to go hourly now. Many many times, they leave people behind even at the first stop in Dublin.

Would be great. Is that likely to happen?

Would be great. Is that likely to happen?

From basic business sense, yes. Whether they have the spare vehicles, probably not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    From basic business sense, yes. Whether they have the spare vehicles, probably not yet.

If they're using those setras as fleet vehicles, I'm glad not to see their 'spare vehicles 'on the road :)

If they're using those setras as fleet vehicles, I'm glad not to see their 'spare vehicles 'on the road :)

They possibly hire in from other companies for breakdowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Traveled twice in recent days. No idea what type of bus, yes old but don’t see anything really wrong with it.

Always felt extending Waterford-Cork was a little odd but they have really filled the gap for Kilkenny-Cork left by BE. Lot of student traffic. They have send there double decker on M9 a few Fridays.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Traveled twice in recent days. No idea what type of bus, yes old but don’t see anything really wrong with it.

Always felt extending Waterford-Cork was a little odd but they have really filled the gap for Kilkenny-Cork left by BE. Lot of student traffic. They have send there double decker on M9 a few Fridays.

Lot of traffic between Waterford and cork too so picks that up that as well- not sure I’d fancy the full Dublin to cork journey on one- do they stop in Waterford for a comfort break? That could be 4 hours plus on a very poor bus otherwise. My idea of hell.
    It could be a tear service if they had new buses and hourly timetables

Lot of traffic between Waterford and cork too so picks that up that as well- not sure I’d fancy the full Dublin to cork journey on one- do they stop in Waterford for a comfort break? That could be 4 hours plus on a very poor bus otherwise. My idea of hell.
    It could be a great service service if they had new buses and hourly timetables

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The driving leaves a lot to be desired when I encounter them on the M50.

Coming down the slip on to the motorway one of the days last week and the cars werent moving quick enough for the Dublin coach driver so off he goes pulling accross the hatched area, straight out to the middle lane, despite nothing being in the driving lane.

I've been overtaken a couple of times while showing an indicated 105+ in the work Caddy. Are they not limited to 100? They had to have been doing 5 -10 kmh more than me .

The driving leaves a lot to be desired when I encounter them on the M50.

Coming down the slip on to the motorway one of the days last week and the cars werent moving quick enough for the Dublin coach driver so off he goes pulling accross the hatched area, straight out to the middle lane, despite nothing being in the driving lane.

I've been overtaken a couple of times while showing an indicated 105+ in the work Caddy. Are they not limited to 100? They had to have been doing 5 -10 kmh more than me .

100km/h is top permitted speed.
    No standing and seat belts must be fitted and worn.

Standing buses are set at 65km/h

It could be a great service service if they had new buses and hourly timetables

They have BE between Waterford/Cork. Kilkenny-Dublin, Waterford and Cork, Waterford-Dublin are probably most used parts.

The 14.00 from Dublin today was full from Kilkenny, whatever got off in Waterford was replaced. Took 30 minutes from arriving at first Kilkenny stop to leaving the second. 3-4 left behind.

They have BE between Waterford/Cork. Kilkenny-Dublin, Waterford and Cork, Waterford-Dublin are probably most used parts.

The 14.00 from Dublin today was full from Kilkenny, whatever got off in Waterford was replaced. Took 30 minutes from arriving at first Kilkenny stop to leaving the second. 3-4 left behind.

Kilkenny is fairly poorly served by public transport so these incidents are inevitable. Was on a random Sunday train lately to Dublin midday and it was full from Kilkenny- driver was on the blower to passengers to take all bags off seats. Could badly do with more trains and bus options to from Dublin in particular

• Advertisement

Kilkenny is fairly poorly served by public transport so these incidents are inevitable. Was on a random Sunday train lately to Dublin midday and it was full from Kilkenny- driver was on the blower to passengers to take all bags off seats. Could badly do with more trains and bus options to from Dublin in particular

Sunday service is terrible, 4 daily for about 20 years now. Although they have added a extra daily from today for next few weeks to deal with demand. The previous approach of driving customers away from the 18.05 has failed this year and they have given in after 8 weeks.

Not been able or wanting to restore the 18.05 to a 6 car train has come to cost then!

Advertisement