Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Lidl for Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I passed the site today, looks like the windows are installed in the store now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Roof on and removing hoarding to put down permanent fencing on boundary

20180430_104719_zps9igszdci.jpg

20180428_131831_zpssagaxfnc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭jeffk

5th wheel wrote: »
    If that is the loading bay on right hand side in your last picture you can look forward to noise there every morning at 6 am when the trucks are unloading.

I know in Mulhuddart they only deliver and collect skip etc after 10 as beside houses, so maybe this be the same

Here's a picture I took on Sunday last, of the new units on the main street in front of the new Lidl store. As the scaffolding has now been removed, we can now see what the units are starting to look like. The stone and brick building really looks good so far.

I think the paving slabs for the carpark are currently been laid, BorderFox might be able to confirm that! Has anyone heard of an opening date for the store yet? My guesstimate is 5th July 2018

img

Here a video from the builders Mc Callion Group website of the floor slab pour, some nice aerial footage!!

https://vimeo.com/265342341

• Advertisement

Mc Callion Group have a page for Lidl Dunshaughlin, and they even say it's opening July 2018 :D

They also have two nice aerial photos on there website -But they are a bit big here!!!
    Dunshaughlin.jpg

Dunshaughlin-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

That's a huge site, much bigger than I would've thought from driving by. Any idea what the back end of the site (where the soil is) will be used for? Hardly all for car parking spaces is it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fantastic pics

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Exile59 wrote: »
    That's a huge site, much bigger than I would've thought from driving by. Any idea what the back end of the site (where the soil is) will be used for? Hardly all for car parking spaces is it...?

180 car spaces according to McCallion website so fairly plausible that all that area will be used for parking.

Exile59 wrote: »
    180 car spaces according to McCallion website so fairly plausible that all that area will be used for parking.

I have drawn a red line across the photo below, this is the approx location of the site fence which is now erected, as these aerial photos date from about the 12th April this year (if you compare progress to BorderFox photos posted here). I have also included a site layout drawing below to show the site border and layout.

I don't know what the future plan for this large area is (where the soil and site compound is), but it looks like there's an pedestrian entrance / gateway in the lower right corner of the site plan coloured brown which I think is a footpath.

I have checked the number of car parking spaces too and I think McCallion website is a little wrong, as the planning was granted for 163 spaces.

27996174307_3181a8c056_b.jpg

42816241792_ed5a3d066f_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Wow! Such changes for Dunshaughlin!!  I drove through it for the first time since the M3 opened the other day for a change on our way to Cavan ( I hate paying that double toll!!)   I couldn't get over all the new housing on the Dublin road. It seems like there was a good km or two of  new housing estates on either side on the way in that I hadn't seen before  The Lidl really transforms that end of the Main Street also. It feels more like a town rather than a village now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ongarboy wrote: »
    Wow! Such changes for Dunshaughlin!!  I drove through it for the first time since the M3 opened the other day for a change on our way to Cavan ( I hate paying that double toll!!)   I couldn't get over all the new housing on the Dublin road. It seems like there was a good km or two of  new housing estates on either side on the way in that I hadn't seen before  The Lidl really transforms that end of the Main Street also. It feels more like a town rather than a village now.

Have to agree Dunshaughlin is starting to lose it's village feel very quickly now. Google Street live view really shows the difference of just a few year's ago to now. The Dublin road on the south side of the village is really transforming now. The areas close to Maelduin are also changing quickly with new houses appearing to the east and Hanson Wood.

Soon areas near the GAA pitch and St Seachnails road will look very different as entire fields are being leveled to build housing estates.

41097449170_19156d06e2_b.jpg
    GeneHunt wrote: »

...My guesstimate is 5th July 2018

My previous guesstimate of the 5th July is starting to look pretty poor now :o

the above photo was taken tonight in the Village, "4 weeks" of road works from tomorrow morning!!! That brings the opening date to late July now. :(

And this is why!! see below layout of the entrance to Lidl car park.

At the least, McCallion will be re-locating the bus stop a little further up the street & back from the street to allow a new short lane in the middle of the street for cars turning right from the Navan direction to turn into the new Lidl carpark.
    However, 4 weeks is a long time to remark the street! Recently, the footpaths local to this entrance were surveyed and the underground services marked on the footpaths. From the layout below, it looks like there's a new pedestrian crossing at this junction.

I'm wondering will this new junction have traffic lights? :eek: It does look odd, the way the arrows on the carpark exit are set back from the street and the lane on the far-side of the street (from Navan to Dublin direction) has a line across the lane, which to me means this lane is intended to stop at a traffic light. Now this traffic light could be just for the new pedestrian crossing there (the two lines across the whole street, I think is a pedestrian crossing). But maybe, there's more to this junction that isn't shown here, could the pedestrian crossing at the Bank of Ireland be removed and new pedestrian crossings for both the main street and also the Lagore Road be constructed around the Lagore Road junction, all part of this new junction!

42007297665_fa8f8e5c75_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

GeneHunt wrote: »

I'm wondering will this new junction have traffic lights? :eek:

I was told there were talks of traffic lights at the junction of village grill, which will be a crossroads.

Heard the same regarding traffic lights and cant see how they can open without them, junction is on a blind bend both ways. All quiet on the site at the moment probably shopfitting. Still quite a lot to do before opening supposedly in mid july

With so much traffic avoiding the M3 toll the village will be back up to pre boom gridlock

Borderfox wrote: »
    Heard the same regarding traffic lights and cant see how they can open without them, junction is on a blind bend both ways. All quiet on the site at the moment probably shopfitting. Still quite a lot to do before opening supposedly in mid july

With so much traffic avoiding the M3 toll the village will be back up to pre boom gridlock

I have to agree with you, and when a bus is stopped at the new Bus Stop, it would be very dangerous as the bus would totally block the view when exiting the Lidl car park, trying to cross the street to turn for the Dublin direction.

I drove passed the site this morning and they had started removing the site hoarding next to Utopia Boutique. So we may have a clear view of the new units later to day!

The hoarding was removed from in front of the new units today, here's a few photos of the progress taken this evening.

42106406645_c73af8960f_b.jpg

29135940248_114fe91306_b.jpg

42289309954_13273aed5f_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

What's so special about this Lidl compared to the other one 15 mins down the road ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Gonzo wrote: »
    Have to agree Dunshaughlin is starting to lose it's village feel very quickly now. Google Street live view really shows the difference of just a few year's ago to now. The Dublin road on the south side of the village is really transforming now. The areas close to Maelduin are also changing quickly with new houses appearing to the east and Hanson Wood.

Soon areas near the GAA pitch and St Seachnails road will look very different as entire fields are being leveled to build housing estates.

Turning into Ashbourne (2)

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    What's so special about this Lidl compared to the other one 15 mins down the road ?

Liam, it was need here in this village for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yeah that's the big glass unit

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

So the countdown has begun. :p

Opening day is July 19th

maik3n wrote: »
    So the countdown has begun. :p

Opening day is July 19th

14 days to go!! :)

The 6 meter "Lidl Totem" sign at the car park entrance was installed today along with this (see below) big sign over the big glass unit roof.

29332307778_ee3304ac96.jpg

I also seen this banner (see below) on the temporary fencing outside the new unit between the new bus shelter and Utopia Boutique.

28334680827_68ff1d2e1c.jpg

Well its good news for the Navan end of the village, its been long neglected in terms of retail

A few photos of the progress so far.

42525564114_8d9b04be68_b.jpg

41434304060_23ba0402f9_b.jpg

The stone work (below) on the right of the old building is all new, probably from the old wall that used to border the site next to the bus stop.

43243759431_27c4767a19_b.jpg

2 days! I'm hoping the bumps in the road will be fixed by then :D

• Advertisement

Aaaaaand they're gone :D Looked well this morning with all the markings in place and new traffic/pedestrian lights going up.

Advertisement