Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Lidl for Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 20-07-2017 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I think a new tread for the proposed new Lidl store as opposed to continuing to use the New Aldi planning in Dunshaughlin thread (which is currently dead in the water).

I visited the Lidl consultation in the Dunshaughlin Community Centre yesterday evening also and as mentioned on the Aldi thread it was busy enough when I was there too. Where was a few people from Lidl Ireland there to take us (in small groups) around and to explain the new proposal. It was an excellent presentation from Lidl Ireland and they were surprised at how much support for the new store there was.

They plan to submit for planning with Meath County Council within the next two to three weeks. As part of there consultation with local authorities they were advised to hide the new store off the main street (I think the thinking is not to have it like the Lidl in Clonee), so to enable them to do this they added three new units at the entrance to the site. one of the units is to be a cafe.

I took a few pictures of the drawings that were on display. Unfortunately for me there was a crowd around the main plan drawing of the site and I forgot to go back to it before leaving, but I do have a "View Key" from another drawing.

Note: These may change a little at planning stage.

View Key
    35909578861_b2ecab9d89_c.jpg

Elevations of the new Store
    36001980516_4bbb25ce37_c.jpg

New Store Layout
    35909579391_9dcf12a0c5_c.jpg

Proposed new Units (Elevations)
    36001980806_db74fbf611_c.jpg

Proposed new Units (Plans)
    35909579941_5c6c1256f0_c.jpg

Existing view from "Carberry's Bar"
    35909580361_45b812d535_c.jpg

Proposed view from "Carberry's Bar"
    35909580621_75ea157005_c.jpg

Existing view from Lagore Road
    36001981026_900772e57e_c.jpg

Proposed view from Logare Road
    35909580041_9fd42474af_c.jpg

Existing view from "The Village Grill"
    36001981106_d20ec7e41f_c.jpg

Proposed view from "The Village Grill"

35909580081_d56bb13a2e_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's a photo taken last Friday (21-07-2017) of SuperValu Dunshaughlin under going a "facelift" (as they call it). Hope this "facelift" isn't a ply to Meath County Council to deny the upcoming application for planning by Lidl Ireland. :mad:

35681234790_50265c20de_b.jpg

New Lidl Planning application for Dunshaughlin is now up on Meath County Council Website. Ref: ra170866

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/ra170866/0
    The development will consist of: (i) a new vehicular access by way of a two-way entrance & exit with junction with the Mian Street: (ii) a two storey building with pitched roof that is designed with traditional features. This building is located to the north of the new access road & facing both Main Street & the new access road. The ground floor of this building will consist of 2no. retail units and a cafe/restaurant with a total gross floor area of c.382.6sqm (including atrium & lobby). The first floor will consist of 2no. office units with a gross floor area of c.300sqm (including atrium). This building is a perimeter structure which part encloses a landscaped public realm space. (iii) a single storey, licensed, discount foodstore; (iv) public realm space adjacent to the proposed cafe (v) landscaping to include the retention of existing vegetation along the eastern & western boundaries & the creation of a landscape buffer along the western boundary with potential for a pedestrian access to Greenane Road to the west. The reuse of the material from the old stone wall currently located along Main Street in a feature within the application site (vi) 163 no. car parking spaces are to be provided at grade; (vii) provision for ESB Sub-station building; (viii) demolition of the existing boundary wall along Main Stret; (ix) ancillary signage including fascias on the foodstore and units facing Main Street & 1no. double sided illuminated totem sign at the entrance from Main Street; (x) ancillary plant; & (xi) all necessary site development works and services, The development will include site enabing works (including clearance & preparation), all landscaping, and all associated site development works required. The existing bus stop along Main Street will be relocated north of its current location & a bus shelter provided

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

Word on the grapevine now is that Super Valu are looking to get a Centra store onto the main street, either at the empty Wine Bottle building, (between O'Briens carpets and the credit union) or down further at Dwyers Newsagents, across from Maddens.

So that, together with the new so called face-lift in progress, they are definitely getting to work quickly on combating the Lidl application. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

maik3n wrote: »
    Word on the grapevine now is that Super Valu are looking to get a Centra store onto the main street, either at the empty Wine Bottle building, (between O'Briens carpets and the credit union) or down further at Dwyers Newsagents, across from Maddens.

So that, together with the new so called face-lift in progress, they are definitely getting to work quickly on combating the Lidl application. :(

yep, I heard during the Lidl meeting that Supervalu have bought the 3 buildings opposite the Dublin bus stop (used to be O'Dwyers shop, the building to the left of it and the low tin roofed house on the other side). I'd imagine Supervalu will set up another business there.

Some useful information for us. :D;)
    Lidl Dunshaughlin (RA170866)

If you are supportive of Lidl's planned new store in Dunshaughlin,
    please consider sending a supportive email to be added to planning file.

Email: planning@meathcoco.ie
    Planning File: RA170866,
    Lidl Ireland, Main Street, 
    Dunshaughlin, Co.Meath.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I support Lidl's planning application (RA170866) at 
    Main Street, Dunshaughlin, County Meath, 
    to build a new store in Dunshaughlin.

I believe this application will be of great benefit to the community.

Best Wishes,

The support that is generated for this application - 
    will encourage An Bord Pleanála on its importance to the area.

Payment of €20 must be submitted with email for valid
    submission to file. (such as Bank card details)

• Advertisement

For anyone who may not have seen the posts on Facebook page, here's a link (below) to a petition in support of Lidl's planning application.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-lidls-planning-application-in-dunshaughlin.html#.WZAhqRaOQYU.email

I see Cllr. Damien O'Reilly submitted a letter of support for the Lidl Application. Here's the link (click on the button for "Representations"). Which makes me think why other Councillors' haven't done the same! They are supposed to be representing us - the people of Dunshaughlin and surrounding areas.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought the wall running from Gogans to Utopia was to be preserved under the Tesco planning but now its to be removed for more retail units?

The residents in Greenane are putting in objections to the pedestrian exit over their side which I can understand regarding people parking in their estate rather than using the official entrance

Borderfox wrote: »
    I thought the wall running from Gogans to Utopia was to be preserved under the Tesco planning but now its to be removed for more retail units?

The residents in Greenane are putting in objections to the pedestrian exit over their side which I can understand regarding people parking in their estate rather than using the official entrance

I was at the Lidl consultation evening and these two items were raised, as part of the planning application Lidl plan to reuse the stones within the site The reuse of the material from the old stone wall currently located along Main Street in a feature within the application site. I heard Dunshaughtlin Tidy Towns have objected or have concerns about this wall been removed. It's strange that this wall is so important to the town, and yet Liam Keane offices on the otherside got built, which looks so out of place in the town - but that's view!

I did hear about the residents in Greenane objections too, on the Lidl consultation evening, a Lidl person said that the pedestrian access to Grennane was a request from the local Authorities. He did say it could be a gate which could be opened and closed (Locked) with store each day. A Greenane resident said the concern was that Greenane residents would park local to this access point within Greenane estate and not the carpark to go shopping there.

Planning could be granted with "Conditional" comments to address these items one hopes!:D

• Advertisement

The Greenane submission is FOR the development but with a caveat regarding the entrance from their estate.

I seem to recall the Lidl people (at the consultation) saying that they were open to considering the concerns of Greenane residents so there is room for adjustment there. I think it might still get through with conditional planning.

Cardia Food aka The Village Grill have also made a submission but I can't see from the scanned files whether it is for or against.
    I would hope/imagine it would be FOR, since they would surely get more business? ;)

Submission date now has passed and surprised to see that Super Valu/Express Checkout have not made any representations?

I fear we may come a cropper with Tidy Towns/Historical Society and Greenane though.

I just checked today to see was there any new developments on the planning application, as the decision date of 19/09/2017 is coming and we should know on the 20th Sept if Lidl will get planning. It would be great news to kickoff the Dunshaughlin Harvest Festival weekend with.

Update so far.

Thomas Byrne T.D. (note) & Cllr. Damien O'Reilly have submitted Representation letters of support for the Lidl Application.
    Cllr. Gerry O'Connor and Cllr. Gillian O'Toole are also listed as Submitters, hoewever I 'm currently unsure if they are FOR or AGAINST this application.
    Tony Bamford (Lidl Planning Consultant) submitted a community petition signed by nearly 500 local people and also the online petition from the website Gopetition.com with 300 names.

Note: Thomas Byrnes' letter also mentions concerns raised by other submitters see below:
    I fully support the principle of a second supermarket for Dunshaughlin, given its size.

However, I would draw the attention of the Planning Authority to the views and concerns raised by Greenane Residents Association and the
    Dunshaughlin and District Historical Society. These local organisations raise legitimate concerns regarding the predestrian entrance
    planned from the development site to be Greenane estate, the level of noise generated by the Supermarket when in operation and the existing
    historic 'Sales Yard Wall' which is to be removed as part of this planning application. It is the contention of the Dunshaughlin and District
    Historical Society that this wall should be removed and rebuilt within the new development. There are other points of concern raised in
    submission and I would urge the Council to take cognisance of these.

Notwithstanding these points, I support the principle of the development.

The Greenane submission is FOR the development but with a caveat regarding the entrance from their estate.

I now understand why there is two submissions by the Greenane Residents Association, I can't see both FOR the development, one is probably the pedestrian access "concerns" from there estate and the other submission is probably noise from the Supermarket (I'm guessing it's noise relating to condensers /chillers for the freezers or delivery lorries). the noise concerns was used before in relation to the Tesco Express application in 2011 and that got planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

According to the Dunshaughlin Lidl Supporters Facebook page, Lidl has been approved for the village!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Brilliant news!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

fantastic news, finally after over a decade of objections, looks like we're finally gonna get another Supermarket and more importantly competition as well as extra business and footfall back into the town, this will benefit everyone in the Dunshaughlin area.

Forgive me putting a dampner on things but I'm not sure we can open the champagne, quite yet.
    We have to see what changes, if any were requested in granting the application.

If it proves to be too much of a headache for Lidl/the builder, they could still pull the plug. :confused:

Forgive me putting a dampner on things but I'm not sure we can open the champagne, quite yet.
    We have to see what changes, if any were requested in granting the application.

If it proves to be too much of a headache for Lidl/the builder, they could still pull the plug. :confused:

for over 10 years various supermarkets were turned down and finally now it's gotten the all clear. I reckon they will not turn down this unique opportunity to progress in Dunshaughlin. The only thing that could go wrong is that SuperValu could object to the passing for planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fortunately they are not known for giving up easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

Great news,
    Given its location, are we likely to see the Lidl car park becoming a "park and ride" facility?

marcel353 wrote: »
    Great news,
    Given its location, are we likely to see the Lidl car park becoming a "park and ride" facility?

I raised that concern at the Lidl consultation evening and they said if it became an real issue with parking the store manage could look at wheel clamping! :eek:

Gonzo wrote: »
    for over 10 years various supermarkets were turned down and finally now it's gotten the all clear. I reckon they will not turn down this unique opportunity to progress in Dunshaughlin. The only thing that could go wrong is that SuperValu could object to the passing for planning permission?
    Would be a bit strange for them to let the application go through, THEN put in their objection now. They did both for the ALDI project.
    Perhaps they have resigned themselves to making the best out of their new facelift?
    bladespin wrote: »
    Fortunately they are not known for giving up easily.
    I hope that you are right.
    According to the planning website, their are 26 conditions for approval. No details yet on what they are. :(

Would be a bit strange for them to let the application go through, THEN put in their objection now. They did both for the ALDI project.
    Perhaps they have resigned themselves to making the best out of their new facelift?
    I hope that you are right.
    According to the planning website, their are 26 conditions for approval. No details yet on what they are. :(

26 conditions, that's a lot of conditions, hopefully nothing too major in any of them. Hopefully this project will get started soon.

From the consultation, we had an estimated open date of Christmas 2019.
    With these new conditions in place now, that may push it back even further. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Summer 2018 LIDL hope to be open according to their own facebook page

From the Dunshaughlin Supports Lidl Facebook page

"Great News Dunshaughlin...we are coming! We just received our final grant of planning :)
    We hope to have our store open in summer 2018. Thank you to the local community for the fantastic support they have shown for this project."

https://www.facebook.com/DunshaughlinLidl/photos/pb.154732771749631.-2207520000.1508610847./177179782838263/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Tenders are being sought from building contractors with a proposed commencement date of 08/01/2018

Tenders are being sought from building contractors with a proposed commencement date of 08/01/2018

Great news, do you have a link to this? If that is the case, and it was also mentioned at the Lidl consultation evening that once construction started on site they can have the project completed in 26 weeks, which means (excluding delays i.e. weather etc) the new store should be open in about the first week of July 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Arnold54321

That’s great news for Dunshaughlin. Crazy how they just had SuperValu dominating the whole town. I’m sure the new store will get a good lot of Ratoath residents as well, at least people won’t have to drive to Ashbourne/Blanchardstown for a decent supermarket.

Advertisement