Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Lidl for Dunshaughlin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That’s great news for Dunshaughlin. Crazy how they just had SuperValu dominating the whole town. I’m sure the new store will get a good lot of Ratoath residents as well, at least people won’t have to drive to Ashbourne/Blanchardstown for a decent supermarket.

It's going to completely change Dunshaughlin. Many people living within a 6km radius of Dunshaughlin travel to Ashbourne, Navan or clonee/Blanchardstown to do their weekly shoping because they can't afford to do all their shopping in Supervalu. The majority of those will now come back to Dunshaughlin and shop in Lidl, but also pop into the other business's around the town such as the butchers, newsagents, chemists and even Supervalu to get some items.This will majorly increase the footfall into the town, a change that will benefit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

So we have a nice banner at the cattle yard now.

I guess we won't be seeing even some minor works, this side of christmas?
    Starting mid/late January will mean a VERY quick turn around for Summer 2018 opening ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Here's the nice new banner ;)

38690109252_f7cf12baac_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Hopefully this will be the last Christmas where Supervalue Dunshaughlin will be able to take advantage of being the only supermarket in the village, screwing the punters.
    I look forward to seeing the smug smiles of management turning to frowns as they finally have to deal with some competition.
    We're not there yet, I know, but fingers and toes crossed...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm not sure SuperValu would lose much business when Lidl opens, there are many people from around Dunshaughlin who do ALL their shopping in either Ashbourne or Clonee/Blanchardstown, who haven't set foot in Supervalu for years and they will start shopping in Dunshaughlin again once Lidl opens.

Majority of people who do all their shopping in Supervalu either don't own a car, prefer to stick with the big name brands or are older people who have only ever shopped in Irish supermarkets. I have several older relations who have never set foot in a Lidl or Aldi because they are 'foreign' supermarkets.

Dunshaughlin is also going to see a serious increase in population over the next 5 years so there will be more than enough people around to keep both Supermarkets going strong. Now that Lidl have permission to open a store, I'd say it's only a matter of time before Aldi will look to re-apply here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm not sure SuperValu would lose much business when Lidl opens, .....

All evidence on this thread suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

While they will surely lose some locals, I imagine with the influx of people in the new houses as well as passing trade from Ratoath, Dunboyne, Batterstown and surrounding areas I think there will be enough LOVE to go around, lol.:p :P

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

If the presence of Lidl forced Supervalue to reduce their prices, then happy days...it'll be good to have a choice of places to shop.

Construction has started!

Looks like the construction hoarding around the perimeter of the site is being installed today. :)

39576149241_344a6b0d9f_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

there's been quantity surveyors etc there since the week before christmas and big boulders moved in..progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Taken from the Tidy Towns Facebook page.

28u3hg3.jpg

Will brighten up the village anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Do all lidls have an in house bakery? Hope so!

Did anyone hear about a La Bucca being built alongside the Lidl site? Also heard rumours of a 50/50 too...

rizzee wrote: »
    Did anyone hear about a La Bucca being built alongside the Lidl site? Also heard rumours of a 50/50 too...

Only heard the 50/50 rumour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Heard about both, yep. No other info though

At least its a positive rumour,great to go for dinner and drinks after without worrhing about driving/taxi

And a change from the Sibín!! Fingers crossed. Was only in the 50/50 in Ratoath last week and was impressed. The Ashbourne one is excellent too.

Agreed its great,was in la bucca ratoath last week and it was excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Galego

Is it confirmed it is Costa who's taking the "coffee unit"?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Progress so far

DSC_1948_zpswtbkconf.jpg

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    Progress so far

DSC_1948_zpswtbkconf.jpg

I noticed lots of progress on the site in the last few days. Steel frame erected for the units on the main street and the columns also erected for the supermarket. Borderfox could i be so bold as to ask for a new "still" from your rear window?:D

DSC_2088_zpshqtxiihq.jpg

Doing a picture a day on the site so will hopefully make a gif at the end of the build.

Looking forward to it. I'm just around the corner from you :D

20180411_181904_zpsj7jr36mn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13 5th wheel

If that is the loading bay on right hand side in your last picture you can look forward to noise there every morning at 6 am when the trucks are unloading.

Its a very small area but anyway our bedrooms are on the Arch Bar side so no chance of being woken :)

The roof should be going on today, all the wood was delivered and moved into position yesterday. I hope the bakery will be on our side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

It is in a horrible location right on the corner. Most Lidl's have a lot of traffic in and out so expect further congestion in the village.

I thought the entrance was going to be where Gogans pub was but as its staggered it will be such a bottlekneck along with the increased hgv traffic through the village avoiding the M3 toll

• Advertisement

5th wheel wrote: »
    If that is the loading bay on right hand side in your last picture you can look forward to noise there every morning at 6 am when the trucks are unloading.

Just checked the 2nd photo from my first post on this tread, that is the loading bay on the right hand side!

Advertisement