Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm delighted for him, always good to see Irish talent doing well but he's playing a CGI henchman, I'll be pleasantly surprised if this proves to be a breakout role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tom Vaughan Lawlor from a relativity unknown actor before Love/hate to a ****ing massive franchise in the MCU

huge congrats to him

From Wikipedia:
    Ebony Maw is a fictional extraterrestrial villain in Marvel Comics. The character, created by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opeña, first appeared in cameo in New Avengers Vol. 3 #8 (September 2013), making his full appearance in Infinity Vol. 1 #1 (September 2013).

Ebony Maw is a member of Thanos' Black Order. Maw has no fighting abilities whatsoever and was chosen for his devious intellectual mind and his power of persuasion.]

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Strong chance of spoilers in the Wiki quote!!! Maybe edit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Strong chance of spoilers in the Wiki quote!!! Maybe edit.

Oops. Done.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kerry Condon is F.R.I.D.A.Y.

Think she only did plays (with Martin McDonagh) and then The Walking Dead for the Season 4 Premiere.

More than that, she was in BBC/HBO's Rome years ago and is the daughter of Mike in Better Call Saul, as well as popping up a small bit in Three Billboards. She has got a good career going for herself in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

More than that, she was in BBC/HBO's Rome years ago and is the daughter of Mike in Better Call Saul, as well as popping up a small bit in Three Billboards. She has got a good career going for herself in the US.

Almost didn't recognise her in Three Billboards playing a glam character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ebony Maw is a member of Thanos' Black Order. Maw has no fighting abilities whatsoever and was chosen for his devious intellectual mind and his power of persuasion.

so Nidgey basically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭ThePott

Has it ever been confirmed that Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is doing the voice of Ebony Maw as well or just the mo-cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Shout out to Rome, that show was awesome.
    Looking forward to this, havent read the comic series so going in blind.
    Ive yet to see black panther, will i be missing out much on the overall arc of the story if i dont get to see it before this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Ive yet to see black panther, will i be missing out much on the overall arc of the story if i dont get to see it before this?

Nah, you'll be grand I'd say. As long as you know what Wakanda is, that they have lots of vibranium and that the winter soldier/Bucky is there.

Black Panther is fairly self contained, which I found odd enough given it's close release date to Infinity War.

The after credits for Thor Ragnarok was actually the last set up for Infinity War.

ThePott wrote: »
    Has it ever been confirmed that Tom Vaughan-Lawlor is doing the voice of Ebony Maw as well or just the mo-cap?

He won't, Kevin Feige confirmed that the mo-cap actors won't be doing the voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

FunLover18 wrote: »
    He won't, Kevin Feige confirmed that the mo-cap actors won't be doing the voices.

nintchdbpict000336829752.jpg

this was released few months back,maybe they changed their minds since..

Cotts72 wrote: »
    nintchdbpict000336829752.jpg

this was released few months back,maybe they changed their minds since..

They'll still use his mo-cap performance but not his voice, same way James Gunn's brother did the mo-cap for Rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. For a couple of years Marvel were talking about Infinity War being split into two movies titled Infinity War Part 1&2. Now they are talking about one film called Infinity War being released this year and another movie, currently titled Avengers 4, due next year.

Am I correct in thinking that these are still two movies making one story? So they have changed the titles but you will still need to see both films to get the complete story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question. For a couple of years Marvel were talking about Infinity War being split into two movies titled Infinity War Part 1&2. Now they are talking about one film called Infinity War being released this year and another movie, currently titled Avengers 4, due next year.

Am I correct in thinking that these are still two movies making one story? So they have changed the titles but you will still need to see both films to get the complete story.

No body knows (well except the studio and actors) if the 2 Avengers films are one complete story or if 4 is just a sequel to infinity war

• Advertisement

AFAIK the intention is that Avengers 4 will be a continuation of IW in the same way Civil War was a continuation of Winter Soldier.

I think all we really know is the title for Avengers 4 is meant to be a spoiler of some sort for Avengers 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I think all we really know is the title for Avengers 4 is meant to be a spoiler of some sort for Avengers 3.
    Avengers:Everybody Dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not exactly. They're definitely going to be connected films and a continuation of the same overall story, but they've also said IW is going to be a singular film in and of itself and won't end on a cliffhanger or anything like that. It'll be its own film but will also set up the next film (in the same way most of the Marvel movies do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd put money on it being
    Avengers Disassembled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Penn wrote: »
    Not exactly. They're definitely going to be connected films and a continuation of the same overall story, but they've also said IW is going to be a singular film in and of itself and won't end on a cliffhanger or anything like that. It'll be its own film but will also set up the next film (in the same way most of the Marvel movies do).

That makes more sense. I can imagine a lot of people being quite annoyed if the film ends on a cliffhanger and you have to wait a year to find out what happens.

It's fine if you know beforehand that that is gong to happen like with Matrix: Reloaded or The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Or you know it is a two parter like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Part 2. But it would make be very angry to just be left hanging without any forewarning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

That makes more sense. I can imagine a lot of people being quite annoyed if the film ends on a cliffhanger and you have to wait a year to find out what happens.

It's fine if you know beforehand that that is gong to happen like with Matrix: Reloaded or The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Or you know it is a two parter like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Part 2. But it would make be very angry to just be left hanging without any forewarning.
    My guess is that they'l be something along the lines of Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. IW will tell a complete story, but won't have a clear cut end like the others. Either Thanos gets a partial victory, or at the very least, he is not defeated completely. Then the second film will be about his ultimate defeat, but again, telling a complete story in and of itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Johnmb wrote: »
    My guess is that they'l be something along the lines of Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. IW will tell a complete story, but won't have a clear cut end like the others. Either Thanos gets a partial victory, or at the very least, he is not defeated completely. Then the second film will be about his ultimate defeat, but again, telling a complete story in and of itself.

Agreed. Thanos has been built up so much that he just can't be dealt with in a single movie. If that's the case, he's just another carbon cut villain like all the other MCU villains (bar Loki).

Personally, I'd love to see them end it cold with a click of his fingers... or just about to... or even just the sound of it (perhaps after an apparent victory for the Avengers).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I AM GROOT
    ! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Slydice wrote: »
    I AM GROOT
    ! :D:D:D

Teenage Groot! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Quills face! :D

446739.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whoah, didn't think you could use that kind of language in a trailer! :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So, its all been leading up to this. Better be worth it.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

So, its all been leading up to this. Better be worth it.

Or what?
    You'll be disappointed while Disney still make billions from it,
    I'm sure they're quaking in their boots.

On a separate note I got to see Black Panther last night at long last and by gosh am I glad I did.
    Spectacular, stupendous, exquisite.

There really aren't enough superlatives to describe the cinematic triumph that this movie was. A classic that IW will have serious trouble following.

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Kerry Condon is F.R.I.D.A.Y.

Think she only did plays (with Martin McDonagh) and then The Walking Dead for the Season 4 Premiere.

She did a whole lot more than that, she has a decent body of work behind her and while her Oirish accent is horrendous she's been in a number of big films and shows including Luck, Rome, Better Call Saul, Unleashed and a few others.

Or what?

On a separate note I got to see Black Panther last night at long last and by gosh am I glad I did.

There really aren't enough superlatives to describe the cinematic triumph that this movie was. A classic that IW will have serious trouble following.

I liked Black Panther, thought it was decent but I'd be absolutely shocked if Infinity War doesn't blow it out of the water considering the lead up, cast of characters and potential for some actual high stakes on the line for once.

Surely as close to a sure thing as you can get from a Hollywood film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm actually the opposite: I'm remaining very sceptical about this, given Age of Ultron upped the stakes, cast etc. and was ultimately a bit of a hot mess; now, Civil War got the mixture right but technically it was a Captain America film, with Stark / Black Panther the more prominent cameos. The biggest trick with any of these ensemble style films is that precarious balance, ensuring everyone gets a fair shake, but not at the expense of the script.

Equally, I'll believe the threat when I see it: if ever there was an excuse to bump off some main characters for the sake of the exponential threat, it's now, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath we're going to see the bloodbath Thanos merits.

Everyone's predicting Cap or Stark to bite the bullet, and the respective actors' contracts have been the source of tattle for ages, but at this stage it's so expected of them to die, it already feels like a bit of an anti-climax. Now, if they bumped off Black Panther, that'd be one of the most fantastic Hollywood trolls ever conducted :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    Everyone's predicting Cap or Stark to bite the bullet, and the respective actors' contracts have been the source of tattle for ages, but at this stage it's so expected of them to die, it already feels like a bit of an anti-climax. Now, if they bumped off Black Panther, that'd be one of the most fantastic Hollywood trolls ever conducted :D

I was making jokes in a group chat at work that I hoped they kill off Black Panther simply to troll the audience and honestly I would love to see just for the Twitter backlash.

This is written by the same people who wrote Civil War so hopefully they'll be able to strike that balance. There's no doubt that some of the smaller characters (Mantis) are going to get short shrift.

I was making jokes in a group chat at work that I hoped they kill off Black Panther simply to troll the audience and honestly I would love to see just for the Twitter backlash.

Weirdly, as fantastic a troll as it would be, it could narratively win out in the end. Going by internet tattle Shuri seems to be a bit of an audience favourite; Marvel could kill off Black Panther, ride the Twitter rage for a while then announce Black Panther 2, with Shuri taking up the mantle of her dead brother, learning to value all the Wakandan rituals she previously ridiculed, and I'd imagine that'd go down a storm with folks. Honestly, Black Panther suffered from its lead being a total deadpan bore, Shuri being a more charismatic presence when she was around. I'd have no qualms with her being the new Black Panther.

Weirdly, as fantastic a troll as it would be, it could narratively win out in the end. Going by internet tattle Shuri seems to be a bit of an audience favourite; Marvel could kill off Black Panther, ride the Twitter rage for a while then announce Black Panther 2, with Shuri taking up the mantle of her dead brother, learning to value all the Wakandan rituals she previously ridiculed, and I'd imagine that'd go down a storm with folks. Honestly, Black Panther suffered from its lead being a total deadpan bore, Shuri being a more charismatic presence when she was around. I'd have no qualms with her being the new Black Panther.

I've not seen the Black Panther, have no real interest in the Marvel films as I find them to be a hodgepodge of cheap looking CGI, wooden acting and cookie cutter storytelling but wasn't a fan of Black Panther based on his appearance in Civil War. He just came across a lil dull and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

have no real interest in the Marvel films

You're kinda in the wrong thread then :p

Or what?

They will be quaking in their boots. For the skull has spoken!!

I give it a c+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For future movies I don't think any other villian could replicate the menacing actions of Thanos and be more powerful and be a bigger villian than him ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I've not seen the Black Panther, have no real interest in the Marvel films as I find them to be a hodgepodge of cheap looking CGI, wooden acting and cookie cutter storytelling but wasn't a fan of Black Panther based on his appearance in Civil War. He just came across a lil dull and boring.

Hasn’t seen any of the films. Goes on to criticise them anyways.

Special case this one.

david75 wrote:

Special case this one.

Are you stalking me, after your disgustingly insulting rant against me on the Television forum last night you're now in here getting a dig in. You really come across as a nasty piece of work, a sad lonely lil man who seems to take great joy in insulting other people and who likes to make things up. We always hear about online bully from teenagers but I wouldn't expect it from a grown adult.

Can you show me where I said that I've never seen any of the films? If you must know I've seen them all bar Black Panther, in fact I've shared reviews of each film in their respective threads.

I didn't realise that in order to engage in a discussion thread then we had to share your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Are you stalking me, after your disgustingly insulting rant against me on the Television forum last night you're now in here getting a dig in. You really come across as a nasty piece of work, a sad lonely lil man who seems to take great joy in insulting other people and who likes to make things up. We always hear about online bully from teenagers but I wouldn't expect it from a grown adult.

Can you show me where I said that I've never seen any of the films? If you must know I've seen them all bar Black Panther, in fact I've shared reviews of each film in their respective threads.

I didn't realise that in order to engage in a discussion thread then we had to share your opinion.

If you say so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »

Special case this one.

david75 wrote: »
    If you say so.

Take it to pm, guys.

Take it to pm, guys.

I have no interest in getting PMs from a poster who has been openly abusive and insulting toward me simply because
    my opinion differs from their own.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    For future movies I don't think any other villian could replicate the menacing actions of Thanos and be more powerful and be a bigger villian than him ??

In the Marvel universe, maybe. Although id like to see M.O.D.O.K ;)

Overall id rate Emperor Palpatine higher (general film terms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

This film needs to address the biggest problem with the Marvel universe.

There are never any stakes. Nobody is ever in any real danger.

Well, they have built this villain up as the baddest of the bad. So, lets see if they have the balls to kill off some of their heroes.

The formula is getting stale in my opinion. The best Marvel movie was the best because it wasn't like the others (Winter Soldier). Civil War was a nice spectacle, but realistically what happened of actual consequence - everyone is going to be friends again to fight Thanos, and Rhodey is going to be back in the suit.

The Dark Knight trilogy is loved by many in part because of the stakes. And they were able to have those stakes because they didnt have 10 other directors, waiting to get their character back. Hopefully, we see some heroes not make it out of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

You can do it a number of ways really. They don't have to necessarily match Thanos power and threat wise, but rather just introduce a compelling enough story.

They could go the insidious route ala secret invasion, and the story of Captain Marvel seems to be teeing that up. While it doesn't match the menace of Thanos as a villain, as a story it's more layered and ultimately could have it's own phase.

Doom would be a similar case. Can't match the power of Thanos, but has the brains to cause problems over a multitude of films.

And then there's Galactus who would probably be the one villain who could be a more straight forward upping of the ante that Thanos threw down.

My personal hope but one I don't hold out much hope would be an Avengers -v- X Men -v- FF feud over a couple of films with someone like Doom/Osborne pulling the strings of them all. You could have secret invasion and dark reign elements there as well.

There's plenty of stuff now available in the library to them to keep things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I would have thought, seeing as many of the actors are coming to the ends of there contacts, that we will see some deaths of some pretty big name characters and thus it will open the universe up to some of the others that have been more of a supporting cast up to now

I enjoy the Marvel films, they are very much a "leave your brain at the door and just enjoy it" genre of films but I agree that there is very little tension when you know for a fact that X, Y and Z have another film in the bank and are therefore untouchable - hopefully Infinity War will bring an end to this and we will actually see our heroes make the most noble of sacrifices and for the sacrifices to actually mean something

The only one I can think of was Quicksilver and his "sacrifice" was for a guy he'd only just met and was glossed over fairly quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The biggest trick with any of these ensemble style films is that precarious balance, ensuring everyone gets a fair shake, but not at the expense of the script.

I've heard various mumbling around the internet that this film is going to be quite Thanos heavy - as if it'll almost be his film to properly establish him and give him weight that almost none of the other villains have had.

I'm sure RDjr, Evans, Hemsworth and co are happy enough to pick up the cheque at this stage and don't have to be in every single shot, and we've had more than enough time with all of them that we just need little bits of action and fun character interaction with new combinations of characters (eg, as we saw with Iron Man and Starlord) , with all the dramatic weight being there by default from the cumulative arcs of all the previous films (Iron Man has now been in 7!).
    Mokuba wrote: »
    The formula is getting stale in my opinion. The best Marvel movie was the best because it wasn't like the others (Winter Soldier). Civil War was a nice spectacle, but realistically what happened of actual consequence - everyone is going to be friends again to fight Thanos, and Rhodey is going to be back in the suit.

The action is generic at this stage but Civil War really stands up well if you just ignore all that over the top stuff.

The fight between CA and IM at the end is as good drama as we've seen from the MCU. How better to dodge the pointless villain problem than by pitting characters you've actually developed against one another.

Hopefully, with the bits of backstory we seem to be getting for Thanos, he'll be somehow relatable (although that seems unlikely given his apparent goals) or at least entertaining and they can give him some sort of personality in how he interacts with his henchmen/children.

• Advertisement
Advertisement