Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avengers Infinity War **spoilers from post 572**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thats Thor on the Milano I think.

Yeah, forgot about his haircut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hmm, I reckon Black widow is certain for the chop, It'd set hulk up as uncontrollable for the next outing, and tidily sweep the long touted black widow movie under the carpet.
    Vision almost certainly expendable, and possibly someone like hawkeye.

I'd like to think so too, the more "human" of the characters should definitely be at risk, which puts her and Hawkeye in the firing line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm expecting Thanos to wipe out 2 or 3 Avengers in this film, especially if they want to get across his strength and his ability to collect stones for the infinity gauntlet, the earlier they do it in the film, the better.

The more powerful the Avengers that die, the better for the story, IMO but I woudlnt be surprised if it was just some filler like Hawkeye, Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

GavRedKing wrote:
    The more powerful the Avengers that die, the better for the story, IMO but I woudlnt be surprised if it was just some filler like Hawkeye, Black Widow, War Machine, Falcon.

Iron Man is far from filler but he's just as mortal and unpowered as those mentioned above. RDJ is getting old and ever more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'm expecting Thanos to wipe out 2 or 3 Avengers in this film, especially if they want to get across his strength and his ability to collect stones for the infinity gauntlet, the earlier they do it in the film, the better.

Given Hawkeye and War Machine have already come so close to it, they must be shoe ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

They've flirted with offing Hawkeye and War Machine already so personally I'd feel that they're safe enough.

Perhaps I'm handing too much credit to Marvel but I do feel that they'll bite the bullet this time and off at least one from the A Team so to speak.

They've gotten to the point creatively and also from a business point of view where they can afford to let the likes of Hemsworth or Evans go off into the sunset without being fearful about the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

razorblunt wrote: »
    Given Hawkeye and War Machine have already come so close to it, they must be shoe ins.

I think that makes them safer if anything. Having teased their deaths previously it would lessen the impact of them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Iron Man is far from filler but he's just as mortal and unpowered as those mentioned above. RDJ is getting old and ever more expensive.

Ya, I think the issue is the need to really hammer home how powerful Thanos is and getting rid of a main Avenger would do it, given also that theres no more Iron Man movies on the way, it would make sense too.
    Foxtrol wrote: »
    I think that makes them safer if anything. Having teased their deaths previously it would lessen the impact of them this time.

Glenn in the Walking Dead begs to differ. :o

Spoilering as part relates to the first episode of the Agents of Shield new season:
    Given their time travel to a point that the earth is destroyed, I would guess this will end up being the damage Thanos causes rather than what they are currently implying is the cause. This raises the stakes for what he is capable of but

I hope it doesn't point to some other time travel that will take place in the second movie that will erase any impacts of the first. Obviously something will happen in either AoS or the movie so that
    the earth is not destroyed
    but I think it will hurt the Marvel brand if a main character(s) dies only to be brought back to life. It would make the issues around the lack of risk in the superhero genre much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They've gotten to the point creatively and also from a business point of view where they can afford to let the likes of Hemsworth or Evans go off into the sunset without being fearful about the future.

I’ve mentioned this before on a few threads but what exactly is the end game (or new beginning) here?

If they kill off Evans they can follow the comics and
    have Bucky take over the role for a bit
    but people are going to want Steve Rogers back and how do they get around that? Do they recast the roles every time one of the main cast drop out, which would be very disconcerting, or do they wrap up the whole universe and start from scratch which would be undoing a lot of work.

• Advertisement

I don't think we'll see a reboot for a long time as Feig has introduced (or will be) the next wave of characters that should carry the MCU over the next decade. I'd say the confidence is there now to put faith in lesser known properties to carry the Verse forward.

Or, they could do
    secret invasion
    if they do want to bring someone back. Carol Danvers could be a timely introduction in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I’ve mentioned this before on a few threads but what exactly is the end game (or new beginning) here?

If they kill off Evans they can follow the comics and
    have Bucky take over the role for a bit
    but people are going to want Steve Rogers back and how do they get around that? Do they recast the roles every time one of the main cast drop out, which would be very disconcerting, or do they wrap up the whole universe and start from scratch which would be undoing a lot of work.

If the Fox thing goes through, they could get a whole fresh (Iron Man less) trilogy of phases with the Fantastic Four. Galactus or Doom as the big baddie... sorted. Trilogy 3.... X-Men. The MCU has plenty of legs to go another 6 phases at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I would guess we will see at least two deaths but it will count for nothing as they will introduce some sort of time travel element undoing it all in what ever film follows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I reckon there'll be a rip in reality by the reality stone and it'll explain a lot of how they go forward with Xmen and Fantastic four characters, Could be a way in to bring an Iron Man from a different universe you know the whole multiverse thing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The MCU is a chance for marvel to steer clear of the flaw of all these comics in making death redundant; second tier deaths are more probable, but ultimately they need to stick. Otherwise it's one facet of the source material that shouldn't have translated to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Given the Fox/Disney deal is apparently super close to ending, I'm gonna say we'll get a tease of some sort at the end of Infinity War (part one) Maybe Doctor Doom or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:
    The MCU is a chance for marvel to steer clear of the flaw of all these comics in making death redundant; second tier deaths are more probable, but ultimately they need to stick. Otherwise it's one facet of the source material that shouldn't have translated to film.

It's something that's harder to translate to film anyway given the fact that you need to tie actors down etc. Also continuity in film has to be more linear than in comics, I really don't want a Bond style continuity in the MCU. I can the film universe getting to a stage where it can create its own Canon separate from the comics whereby Iron Man and Captain America become titles passed on to different characters, I know this has happened in the comics but it's usually temporary AFAIK.

I'd be amazed if acquiring Fox would have an immediate impact on plans in the MCU. If I had to guess they'd build the X and FF verse as its own beast before converging the two.

Given the Fox/Disney deal is apparently super close to ending, I'm gonna say we'll get a tease of some sort at the end of Infinity War (part one) Maybe Doctor Doom or something.

Much more likely the end of IW part 2. It would be the end of phase 3 and tease the next cycle of movies which the others could become involved.

Inhumans was originally the first movie after IW2 and I have to believe they planned for it to be more than what we saw in the show. Either Fox properties could fit in as that new blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No titles for any phase 4 other than the two announced sequels there has been the talk the reason for the hold off was these talks.

Fergie loved advertising titles years and years in advance of course this could also be down to not wanting to hint at anyone dying in Infinity War or the yet untitled Avengers film that will close phase 3.

What are the thoughts on how it would work? Use the current X Men cast or reboot?

I hope they reboot, but keep Reynolds Deadpool. Or just keep that entirely separate, even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would leave the X-Men alone in their universe for now but bring the FF universe into the MCU.

Reboot the regular X Film's and work off Deadpools Universe 1st film already had a helicarrier or sorts and a proper version of Collosus

I've always been of the opinion that the X universe would be too overwhelming to bring into the MCU.

However.... I can totally see how they could make it work in the MCU. I'd see it as something like this...

Phases 1-3 : Infinity War
    Phases 4-6 : Bring in FF and have Doctor Doom as the big bad (or Galactus)
    Phases 7-9 : Introduce mutants to the world and well... the possibilities are endless but an Avengers vs X-Men showdown would be awesome and in the aftermath you could start using X-Men in the Avengers roster as well as the X-Men movies.

I'd reboot the X-Men entirely btw. Let no trace of the Fox movies leak into the MCU. Not that they are bad (though some are) but there's just too much baggage and massive plot holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

don't like Avengers story at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think they should generally leave the Mutants in their own X-universe, but take all the fantastic 4 stuff and plow that into the MCU. The Silver Surfer and Galactus are too big not to have in the Cosmic Universe really with the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kang the Conqueror and Mephisto would be cool to see (although i think the latter came back to Marvel when the Ghost Rider licence rights lapsed)

Rebooting the silver surfer, the relationship with Shalla-ball, Galactus and Adam Warlock could span 4 movies on its own.

They havent even touched on Thanos and Titan and his brother star fox.

Tefral wrote: »
    I think they should generally leave the Mutants in their own X-universe, but take all the fantastic 4 stuff and plow that into the MCU. The Silver Surfer and Galactus are too big not to have in the Cosmic Universe really with the likes of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Kang the Conqueror and Mephisto would be cool to see (although i think the latter came back to Marvel when the Ghost Rider licence rights lapsed)

Rebooting the silver surfer, the relationship with Shalla-ball, Galactus and Adam Warlock could span 4 movies on its own.

They havent even touched on Thanos and Titan and his brother star fox.

I think the problem they face is not the lack of stories to tell (particularly when you bring FF and their rogues gallery in... nevermind the goldmine of X-Men stories), its what to do with actors getting too old to play the roles. What will their approach be? Many of the stories they can tell are heavily tied in with some of the characters due to be retired.

Realistically Iron Man, Cap and Thor are all gone at some point during phase 3/4. Widow, Hawkeye, War Machine and Falcon too. The GotG crew probably have a clock ticking over them too (one more outing after Infinity War?).

Spidey, Strange, Vision (?), Scarlet Witch, Winter Soldier, Hulk, Panther, Ant Man and Wasp are the core of phases 4-6. Captain Marvel will be a big boost. Where do they go from there though? Bringing in FF will go a long way to keeping the hero list populated through phases 4-6. 4 heros in one go and the genius of Reed (which will be needed without Stark).

I think by the time phase 6 is over (assuming they don't just end the MCU and do a reboot), the X-Men would be a fresh boost for the universe. We're probably talking 8-10 years down the road here.

Recasting Iron Man or Cap would cheapen their characters a bit but I could see them doing what they did in the comics with Thor and have a female Thor. Essentially passing on the power of Thor to 'she who is worthy'. It'll be interesting to see if the GotG series continues with new characters added to the lineup as actors drop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,213 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bacchus wrote: »
    Recasting Iron Man or Cap would cheapen their characters a bit but I could see them doing what they did in the comics with Thor and have a female Thor. Essentially passing on the power of Thor to 'she who is worthy'. It'll be interesting to see if the GotG series continues with new characters added to the lineup as actors drop out.

That's their saving grace though I think, they don't have to recast the actors, just have new characters take on those superhero mantles.

New or existing characters can take over the roles of Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Thor etc without actually recasting the actors, as has happened numerous times and particularly the last 10 years in Marvel comics. Could give a fresh take on those superheroes, while still moving forward introducing new heroes (even as a way to keep a new Iron Man/Cap/Thor in the Avenger movies without having to actually do a new Iron Man/Cap/Thor solo movie).

I agree though that X-Men should be kept for much later though. Maybe bring in Storm in a Black Panther sequel or something small like that, without having to go full on "To me, my X-Men!". And like you say, GOTG could continue with a rotating squad which could also include someone from X-Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is there expected to be a high body count in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

J. Marston wrote: »

Not sure.

Certainly been discussion about big names getting hit but nothing certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Slydice wrote: »
    Not sure.

As long as the GotG crew make it through, that's fine

Slydice wrote: »
    Not sure.

You wouldn't know what way this would go. In the Comics
    Adam Warlock just undid everything, when he got the Gauntlet

Through out their battle with Thanos, he uses the gems to alter reality etc, they could show them being dead but it might not be real.

J. Marston wrote: »

I doubt it. There's not enough heroes in the MCU to be picking them off like they can do (and did) in the comics. Also, if they kill any of the newer characters I think they'd have a hard time getting the audience not to do a collective eye-roll when they are "brought back" in future movies.

There will have to be one big death though to set the stakes for part 2. Vision would be an easy one to knock off (given his link to the Soul Gem) but it'd be a cheap death. It'd need to be the likes of Cap, IM, Thor... maybe even Hulk. If they do an en-masse killing I'd expect some miraculous recoveries in part 2.

The real problem the MCU has here is keeping Thanos from going too powerful. Even the comic is a bit ridiculous (even if it is a classic)... he's just TOO powerful. Every comic in the series pits the next lot of heroes in the conveyor belt against him... he struggles for a few pages and then just wins... even against hugely powerful cosmic beings that don't exist in the MCU. His ultimate defeat was a bit of a damp squib and then everything was undone. No way the MCU can go that way. So... how do they take down this all powerful being with the batch of heroes at the disposal of the MCU (mostly of the punching things hard variety)? Strange and Scarlet Witch will have to be at the heart of it, with everyone else handling the cannon fodder or providing distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think you have to kill Captain America or Iron Man if you're getting rid of someone. They'd be big deaths and with replacements lined up already so that you can still have Iron Man or Captain America films (Winter Soldier and War Machine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Anyone know in Dublin where to pick up the prelude comics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Korg to save the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Korg to save the day

Korg to start another revolution and make some more rock,paper,scissor jokes

moloner4 wrote: »

As in the actual Infinity War comics or the 4 pager ones that normally come out before the movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

As in the actual Infinity War comics or the 4 pager ones that normally come out before the movies?

The one before the movie. Part one is out but i have no idea where to pick it up.

The one before the movie. Part one is out but i have no idea where to pick it up.

send me a pm with your email. In the meantime download a .cbr reader:)

send me a pm with your email. In the meantime download a .cbr reader:)

May I send you a pm aswell ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Forbidden Planet should have it in stock they're over on Crampton Quay near the hapenny bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New entertainment weekly covers showing all characters. linking as might be some spoilers
    http://ew.com/movies/avengers-infinity-war-15-ew-covers/avengers-infinity-war-assembles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

New entertainment weekly covers showing all characters. linking as might be some spoilers
    http://ew.com/movies/avengers-infinity-war-15-ew-covers/avengers-infinity-war-assembles
    It says 22 heros, and there are 22 on the covers, but I don't see Hawkeye & Ant-Man. Others possibly missing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dermo wrote: »
    It says 22 heros, and there are 22 on the covers, but I don't see Hawkeye & Ant-Man. Others possibly missing too.
    RE: Hawkeye possible spoiler
    There was a shot from filming a (I was gunna say few months but it might actually be a year or so ago!), that seemed to show Renner in a costume akin to his Ronin alter-ego. We probably wont see him at all unless its in a later trailer/uncostumed.

Goddamn The new
    iron man armour isn't good. It looks over designed, like something from anime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Goddamn The new
    iron man armour isn't good. It looks over designed, like something from anime.
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either, but a lot of the images look a little 'off'.
    Hopefully it will all look nicer in the films

• Advertisement

Typical of EW to overstyle their shoots. Wouldn't be concerned at all by it. Happens all the time.

Advertisement