Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Mellor wrote: »
    From McGregor's point of view I don't think a Pacquiao does significantly more buys than a defence. I don't think it has the same incentive as The Mayweather fight tbh.

Well this pretty much is my point. Pacquiao is no longer a ppv draw in his own right, so a fight against him does similar buys to a defence. There's little incentive for the UFC to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That's not an exact science.

Mayweather's last fight, v Andre Berto, did 400,000 PPV buys.

It's the match up of stars that draws. I'd think it does reasonably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pac V Mac does well I would think, enough people between Ireland, the UK, USA and Malaysia would watch it.

It certainly wouldn't do any worse then a UFC fight which he just seems to have no interest in, be nice for them to strip him actually all things considered, then if he wants to come back at some point, great, he has something to chase again since he obviously can't get motivated by defending.

When Dana White is publicly criticising the company he keeps you know they are worried about their golden boy. Something will happen that will bring the situation to a head sooner rather then later you suspect

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No. I was asking you how many ppv's Pacquiao sold in his last fight. 0 is the answer, if you're interested.
    Pacquiao's last fight was a PPV btw.
    And sold more than 0 obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 19,005 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"If" McGregor fights Pac next, he should definitely be stripped of his belts. He was given a lot of leeway in being allowed retain the belts while headin off to fight Mayweather. IMHO, fighting Pac would be taking the p*ss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

For me Conor needs to get a UFC win under his belt for him to sell another shot in the boxing ring. IF he was for example to get a comprehensive win on his feet against either Nate or Ferguson (and that I don't think is by any means a a given considering the signs of sherbet dabbling of late) THEN and only then do I think he could build back up the public's interest in seeing him in the a boxing ring again.

At the moment I feel that interest is not there to anywhere near the degree that it was and only an easy enough UFC win (on his feet) would or could reignite that. My guess would be the Nate trilogy fight March-April and then we see him in the ring again sometime in Aug-Sep.

Won't happen, but I would love to see Mayweather v Pacquiao II with McGregor v Paulie (or even De La Hoya) on the under card.

Either way though, I want to see him defend the 155 strap next.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Either way though, I want to see him defend the 155 strap next.

Well looks like hes had a stroke of luck with Ferguson out until next year. Which would mean it will be 18 months or more between winning it and defending it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Id like to see him stripped of the belt. Make Tony champ, winner of khabib vs barboza gets the next shot.

I'm quite happy for McGregor to do money fights , gsp Diaz whatever.

But let the divisions go on. There are some legit beasts in the top 7-8 at lw. The division doesn't need McGregor. Look at FW it's flying it without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

post 9084........fair play. Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Cant believe were back talking about boxing.. the fact feguson is out now Conor won't be stripped or forced into a defence. Very disappointing year-18 months to be a fan

• Advertisement

Pacquiao's last fight was a PPV btw.
    And sold more than 0 obviously

It wasn't a PPV:

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/7/3/15916698/manny-pacquiao-jeff-horn-peaks-at-4-4-million-viewers-averages-3-1-million-espn-boxing

dashoonage wrote: »
    Id like to see him stripped of the belt. Make Tony champ, winner of khabib vs barboza gets the next shot.

I'm quite happy for McGregor to do money fights , gsp Diaz whatever.

But let the divisions go on. There are some legit beasts in the top 7-8 at lw. The division doesn't need McGregor. Look at FW it's flying it without him.

This is my take as well. He is his own division now. He doesn't need a title for his star power and unlike the rest of the roster who will only get PPV points if they're champion, Conor can dictate terms to the UFC. Just strip him and move on.

If he decides he wants to defend it and they can get a fight scheduled in the first half of next year, fine. Otherwise, it's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Monokne wrote: »

The article states itself that it sold over 200k ppvs in australia. Just because it wasnt a ppv in the ufc doesnt mean it wasnt a ppv.

ASOT wrote: »
    The article states itself that it sold over 200k ppvs in australia. Just because it wasnt a ppv in the ufc doesnt mean it wasnt a ppv.

I was referring to the north American market, where the vast majority of PPV's are sold.

Monokne wrote: »
    I was referring to the north American market, where the vast majority of PPV's are sold.

Fair enough it was still a ppv though and still done over 200k.

FFS lads, who cares about Australia?

Nobody but australians id imagine but facts are facts. AJ Klitschko wasnt ppv in the us either so by the same logic that sold no ppvs either.

ASOT wrote: »
    Nobody but australians id imagine but facts are facts. AJ Klitschko wasnt ppv in the us either so by the same logic that sold no ppvs either.

Australia is a backwater in boxing terms. The UK is anything but right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I wouldn't look out my back window at McGregor v Pac fight.

Another pic of him in a gym today, pics of him dee and junior yesterday. The party is over ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

backspin. wrote: »
    I wouldn't look out my back window at McGregor v Pac fight.

Ah you would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Ah you would

Only to tell them to keep the noise down..

Back training in SBG today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Would all the snow he has seen the last few days open up his airways and get in more oxygen, making his endurance gas tank last longer? 😂

That's what he was planning 😂

Australia is a backwater in boxing terms. The UK is anything but right now.
    If it's backwater in boxing terms. Why were you using an australian boxing fight to try make a point about PPVs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If it's backwater in boxing terms. Why were you using an australian boxing fight to try make a point about PPVs :confused:

How much does ppv cost in Australia?

When people talk about ppv sales in combat sports they are most likely talking about the North American market because US ppv prices are stupidly expensive.

How much does ppv cost in Australia?

When people talk about ppv sales in combat sports they are most likely talking about the North American market because US ppv prices are stupidly expensive.
    A UFC PPV is $50
    Pacquiao v Horn was $60 IIRC

The suggestion was that Pacman isn't a draw because his last fight sold zero PPVs.
    I was just pointing out that the fight was a PPV in Australia, where the fight took place, and it sold a decent amount of PPVs.
    It wasn't a PPV in the US, so saying "his last fight sold 0 PPVs [in America]" is redundant.

As I said, I don't want to fight to happen. I think it's dumb for all involved. I just disagree with the previous PPV logic wheeled out.

Because it highlights Pacquiao's growing irrelevancy in the US. I thought that much was obvious.

Because it highlights Pacquiao's growing irrelevancy in the US. I thought that much was obvious.
    I got thats what you were trying to do. But it made little sense tbh.
    How could it sell any PPVs in the US when it was ESPN. Did you want people ring up and donate $50 in support of Pacquiao.

It drew 4.4m viewers on ESPN, the highest ratings for boxing on cable since 2006. And the highest on ESPN since 1995. That's not irrelevancy. He's still a name among casuals - and that's the target of the hypothetical McGregor fight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I got thats what you were trying to do. But it made little sense tbh.
    How could it sell any PPVs in the US when it was ESPN. Did you want people ring up and donate $50 in support of Pacquiao.

It drew 4.4m viewers on ESPN, the highest ratings for boxing on cable since 2006. And the highest on ESPN since 1995. That's not irrelevancy. He's still a name among casuals - and that's the target of the hypothetical McGregor fight

I thought Dana White already put this to bed and said under no circumstances will this fight happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement