Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That's not at all how combat sports works. If you can draw money, you can basically do anything and it usually only adds to your star power and there are no consequences.

Mike Tyson went to prison for rape. Floyd beat a woman badly and they POSTPONED his prison sentence to allow him fight.

There are many potential consequences for Conor, but the UFC isn't going to cut their nose to spite their face.

Monokne wrote: »
    That's not at all how combat sports works. If you can draw money, you can basically do anything and it usually only adds to your star power and there are no consequences.

Mike Tyson went to prison for rape. Floyd beat a woman badly and they POSTPONED his prison sentence to allow him fight.

There are many potential consequences for Conor, but the UFC isn't going to cut their nose to spite their face.

if they think that there are enough idiots out there to buy into a Pacquiao - McGregor fight that's what will happen next.

It would be less lucrative than the Mayweather deal as Pacquiao is less of a draw than Mayweather with his undefeated record and a second McGregor boxing "show" is also less of a draw as it's plain to see that he's not a boxer.

The UFC get a cut due to McGregor being under contract with them so once the money would work out they couldn't care less.

Only when that is discounted as a viable option (or another boxing gig with someone else) would he been seen in the UFC again.

For clarity, my post was in response to the prior poster claiming Conor will be in the "Nice equivalent of MMA in no time"

I would think it's entirely possible he does another boxing match next though, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

glasso wrote: »
    if they think that there are enough idiots out there to buy into a Pacquiao - McGregor fight that's what will happen next.

It would be less lucrative than the Mayweather deal as Pacquiao is less of a draw than Mayweather with his undefeated record and a second McGregor boxing "show" is also less of a draw as it's plain to see that he's not a boxer.

The UFC get a cut due to McGregor being under contract with them so once the money would work out they couldn't care less.

Only when that is discounted as a viable option (or another boxing gig with someone else) would he been seen in the UFC again.

Zuffa Boxing sole purpose is probably to promote Conor in boxing. They are more than likely happy for him to keep boxing because if he brings in bigger PPV's than in the UFC events he'll make more money and so will they.

I think it's dual purpose. Dana really seems interesting in getting into boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

*checks thread*

0671aadd16999a5a0d69144eb9b9d8e5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Picture of him up training. Ginger beared has "day 1" commented on it. Day 1 of camp I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Prob just means your man in the pic is with him from day 1 now I think of it. Hope the pic was takin today though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Fogarty doesn't get his pocket money if he doesn't comment within two minutes of any new post going up.

Picture of him up training. Ginger beared has "day 1" commented on it. Day 1 of camp I wonder?

Old photo I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Be great if the Manny fight was held at Croker. Would be epic. I reckon it would sell out in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,342 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Be great if the Manny fight was held at Croker. Would be epic. I reckon it would sell out in no time

Be great if the Manny fight wasn’t held at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

If he fights manni can this thread be moved to the boxing forum so us mma fans can get on with mma ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

dashoonage wrote: »
    If he fights manni can this thread be moved to the boxing forum so us mma fans can get on with mma ?

Or just click unfollow and you're sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,603 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not another 5 months of “I am boxing. Mark my words. This won’t go the distance. He’s too small.”

Manny will butcher Conor!

DellyBelly wrote: »

McGregor wouldn't fight in Ireland as he'd have to pay more tax - he wouldn't like that.
    tax for fights in Vegas is a fraction of what he'd pay here.
    that's a lot of hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

glasso wrote: »
    McGregor wouldn't fight in Ireland as he'd have to pay more tax - he wouldn't like that.
    tax for fights in Vegas is a fraction of what he'd pay here.
    that's a lot of hookers.

Could he not get an "artists exemption" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Could he not get an "artists exemption" ?

Snorting coke off a hookers ass isn’t an art

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Snorting coke off a hookers ass isn’t an art

Its the best kind of art

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Fogarty doesn't get his pocket money if he doesn't comment within two minutes of any new post going up.

His captions are the most ball sucking cringeworthy things on the internet absolute muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

fitzparker wrote: »
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    State of them too brothers pair of weasels.

the gear on them to the fashion awards.. straight out of unique, or that closing down shop on parnell street that was open for about 12 year
    UNIQUE....haha spat tae out  with that comment. That gear couldnt be any more common. Dodge central

Manny is neither the draw nor the trash-talker that Floyd is. Plus all the unknowns for McGregor in boxing are now knowns.

They used the unknowns to sell the fight. Maybe his awkward style will be a problem for Mayweather? Maybe he will have amazing power? Maybe he will just kick Floyd in the face? Oh look here's a video of him knocking Paulie down, maybe he is much better than everyone expects?

Now we know the answer to all those questions. They can't be used to promote the fight. How do you sell the fight now? Who would fall for it? I just don't see it happening.

Gamebred wrote: »
    His captions are the most ball sucking cringeworthy things on the internet absolute muppet.

We out here doe

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Here's the absolute worst thing about a prospective Mani fight - sure it'll be about another sizeable pay day, but moreover, it's about getting another pop at Floyd. Beat Mani, unlikely as it might seem, and the Floyd talk will begin anew. His interview with Caroline Pearce was testament to just how much he wants to avenge that loss.

Deluded/ unwise/ impossible - maybe all three. Seems like the exact kind of thing he might do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Here's the absolute worst thing about a prospective Mani fight - sure it'll be about another sizeable pay day, but moreover, it's about getting another pop at Floyd. Beat Mani, unlikely as it might seem, and the Floyd talk will begin anew. His interview with Caroline Pearce was testament to just how much he wants to avenge that loss.

Deluded/ unwise/ impossible - maybe all three. Seems like the exact kind of thing he might do.

He's blown his load, nobody cares to see him box anymore. The same applies to Pacquiao, nobody cares anymore.

I have absolutely no desire to see Conor - Pacquiao. Less than zero.

However, I'm not so blinded by my own bias that I can't see it will do well over a million pay per view buys and generate hundreds of millions in revenue.

"Nobody cares any more" is completely existing in a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Gamebred wrote: »

“Out here grindin’”

Eh, no, you’re carrying Conor’s bags and shining his shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Heard he handed Conor a bill for about 30k for his work and got laughed at too lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Where's he going with this boxing exhibition lark? if it's just money well good for him but by the same token **** that!

the boxing fraternity after Mayweather gave him some credit but in the most patronizing way ........he'll be a figure of fun in those circles and even if he beat another aging fighter he'd continue to be, can he not see he'll never be taken seriously in boxing........if he doesn't care well again good for him but where is it going

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement