Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2018 Ballyliffin

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The K club isn't in Dublin and the weather was ****e.

I'm a fan of it being spread around.

It is grand event , but I wouldn't buy into the hype.

poor field and I know with a better located event you would get bigger crowds .

I'm watching 18th hole there and people sitting on ground .

I've been at events you couldn't walk.

It makes it a better event to go watch .
    Didn't say it was in Dublin..."near Dublin". It's about half an hour from it. Weather being ****e doesn't matter a jot when Rory McIlroy is in contention in a tournament in Ireland.

People are sitting on what they call hills, if everyone sits, everyone else can see, pretty simple concept.

What event were you at that you couldn't walk, and how did that make it more enjoyable?

Did they just announce 27k there today? That would make it about 84k over the 4 days, more than Carton in 2013 as well - "near Dublin".

Maybe they'll move it to Corballis next year and they'll have 100k through the gates.

From zero

to hero :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah a golf event where you can't really walk isn't very enjoyable in the slightest. A links in Donegal with space to move/sit/relax...sounds perfect for an event.

Entertaining finish alright. Saw some tweet from the Peter allis parody account (at least, I think it is), saying the final group were two holes behind without hint of a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Great finish, great course.

To suggest the field would be better if played in Dublin is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic putt to win an Irish open. Well done Russell, coming into form at the right time could be a possibility for the ryder cup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah a golf event where you can't really walk isn't very enjoyable in the slightest. A links in Donegal with space to move/sit/relax...sounds perfect for an event.

Entertaining finish alright. Saw some tweet from the Peter allis parody account (at least, I think it is), saying the final group were two holes behind without hint of a penalty

They were one more warning away from a penalty going by rte commentary or one of them was at least

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fullstop wrote: »
    Didn't say it was in Dublin..."near Dublin". It's about half an hour from it. Weather being ****e doesn't matter a jot when Rory McIlroy is in contention in a tournament in Ireland.

People are sitting on what they call hills, if everyone sits, everyone else can see, pretty simple concept.

What event were you at that you couldn't walk, and how did that make it more enjoyable?

Did they just announce 27k there today? That would make it about 84k over the 4 days, more than Carton in 2013 as well - "near Dublin".

Maybe they'll move it to Corballis next year and they'll have 100k through the gates.

no point in talking ****e about Corballis :rolleyes:

You are greatly confused if you think weather makes no difference.

The Irish Open was in doldrums the years you are talking about .

Look - fine event
    Good course

Terrible Field

Worth trying in Dublin

For higher profile
    Larger Field
    Better logistic
    And I'd suggest better field.

I'd put money on above.

I'd predict well over 100 K attendance and a few top American players may come over.

European golf and golf in general struggling . No matter what you try.

We are still lucky to have a top tier European event thanks to Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Look - fine event
    Good course

Terrible Field

Worth trying in Dublin

For higher profile
    Larger Field
    Better logistic

I'd put money on above.

I'd predict well over 100 K attendance and a few top American players may come over.

The Irish Open was in the doldrums in 2013? It sold out in 2012, did it not?

There was a better field last year with Rose, Matsuyama, Fleetwood etc., and I'm sure you can tell me which was better attended...there also wouldn't be a larger field if it was in Dublin, not like they're going to have 250 in it like a Captain's Day.

Which even was it you couldn't walk it was so packed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Elmo Farrell

Look - fine event
    Good course

Terrible Field

Worth trying in Dublin

For higher profile
    Larger Field
    Better logistic

I'd put money on above.

Which has nothing to do with the Irish open being held in Donegal.

Outdated clubs who are obsessed with dress codes and other such ****e and the fact that the sport makes no effort to get new people playing are the reason golf is struggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Everyone knows the Dublin fans don't travel well.
    Most of them would get lost upon leaving the Pale in fairness. So hardly their fault. :pac:

• Advertisement

I wonder would it make sense to start paying hello money? Would be great to see more of the big stars each year. Rory can only call in so many favours.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

The Irish open will always be a bit up against it where it sits in the 4 week swing of tournaments. Most years the Scottish will always get a much stronger field especially from PGA based players. They will come over play Scottish and then straight into practice for the Open.

Most would not want to be 2 weeks or more away before the Open if they can help it. Rory called in favours a few years so had a good field but that wont and cant happen every year. Saying that its McGinley next year so he may call in favours from a few Ryder Cuppers past and present for Lahinch.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the Dublin fans don't travel well.
    Most of them would get lost upon leaving the Pale in fairness. So hardly their fault. :pac:

I've been to the Irish Open all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I wonder would it make sense to start paying hello money? Would be great to see more of the big stars each year. Rory can only call in so many favours.

Think the appearance fees are crazy, Spieth got $1m for the Australian open (off season) and the total purse for the comp was only $900k. Dustin, Mickelson, fowler are up on 1.5m, Woods would be more and I'd say anyone who would be a draw could be nearly a million.

A few years ago it used to be the Irish open, then French, then Scottish, then the Open. At that time we were thinking if we could get before Scottish open more Americans could come to get 2 weeks links practice for the open, looks like that isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I've been to the Irish Open all over Ireland.

What happened you man?

Snotty wrote: »
    A few years ago it used to be the Irish open, then French, then Scottish, then the Open. At that time we were thinking if we could get before Scottish open more Americans could come to get 2 weeks links practice for the open, looks like that isn't happening.

I wonder would having it the week after the open work, few big names might decide to stay around for a good rolex series event.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think this is an unfortunate truth.

I just said what has been said in some newspaper articles about the Irish open hitting a bit of a stagnation. And I'm not a golf fan :D:D

It is a stagnation - but at a very high level. Fair play to Rory and the sponsor.

Sure I was at the Irish Open last year and is class it being on a links and there was a top field.

I bet behind the scenes - Rory and European tour are not slapping each other on the back and are racking their brains about how to progress the event further.

Hopefully we get a few more stars next year and hopefully Rahm is back.

If it was to hit Dublin (and it should at some point (IMO)) and we are staying on the Links idea - I'm thinking it probably has to be Portmarnock - not sure The Island will work - Is Royal Dublin good enough ?

Another idea on the east would be The European Club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Youd like to think Lahinch's reputation may attract a few players and Ive no doubt that watching Ballyliffin in all its splendour in perfect weather will have given the top guns, assuming they tuned in, the feels. The southwest of the country is traditionally where a lot of the elite players used to hone their games in the weeks leading up to the Open, so courses like Ballybunion, Tralee and Waterville being relatively nearby might work to the event's advantage. As spectacular as Ballyliffin is, it was something of a mystery to most golfers outside of Ireland until this week. That isnt the case with some of the southerly links tracks so Id be optimistic the field will be a little deeper next year.

Youd like to think Lahinch's reputation may attract a few players and Ive no doubt that watching Ballyliffin in all its splendour in perfect weather will have given the top guns, assuming they tuned in, the feels. The southwest of the country is traditionally where a lot of the elite players used to hone their games in the weeks leading up to the Open, so courses like Ballybunion, Tralee and Waterville being relatively nearby might work to the event's advantage. As spectacular as Ballyliffin is, it was something of a mystery to most golfers outside of Ireland until this week. That isnt the case with some of the southerly links tracks so Id be optimistic the field will be a little deeper next year.

It was probably some of the most spectacular overhead shots I ever seen of a golf course. Sea was stunning.

Will head up and play it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think cameras are now allowed on the European Tour. So long as they are set on silent (digital obvs.).

Yeah, was no problem at all.

28431934977_e45025d1b3_c.jpg

Rory McIlroy by Stephen Devine, on Flickr

28431934847_deaa384e7e_c.jpg

John Rahm by Stephen Devine, on Flickr

29431912248_12ae257318_c.jpg

Lee Westwood by Stephen Devine, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

The idea that the Irish open has reached the point of stagnation(presumably David Walsh’s article in the Sunday times) is a load of bollox. If it is then so are the French and Italian opens, all three are Rolex events with a million quid on offer. Look at the entry list for each of the aforementioned and the field is virtually 95% the same players with a few of the top guys opting out of one or the other, Fleetwood, Rose, Molinari are the only big European names missing from the Irish open. It’s rare that the top fellas play 5 consecutive events, Italian, French, Irish, Scottish and THEN the open, never gonna happen. Maybe the Scottish sponsors are throwing money at Mickelson and Fowler to come as were the French at Justin whatshisname��. The Irish open is probably as good as it is now and if anything a two week slot before the Scottish open maybe better. If it was a success in Ballyliffen it’ll be success anywhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭qwabercd

I wonder would having it the week after the open work, few big names might decide to stay around for a good rolex series event.

Interestingly enough reed, dechambeau and pat Perez are all entered for the Porsche open (Germany) the week after the open. Prize fund is only about a third of the Irish open.

Advertisement