Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2018 Ballyliffin

Options
  • 11-07-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

The 2018 Irish Open will take place at Ballyliffin Golf Club Glashedy links from 5-8 July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Its a long old way up there and almost like another Northern Ireland event.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Early bird tickets for 2018 on sale here €25 per day - much cheaper than the Stg£45 for Portstewart!

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/dubai-duty-free-irish-open-hosted-by-the-rory-foundation-2018-tickets-35973853765?aff=launchlinkjuly9th

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

poteen wrote: »
    Its a long old way up there and almost like another Northern Ireland event.

But it's not another Northern Ireland event. If it was in Kerry, would it be a long old way down there?

Terrific for the county and it's a stunning part of Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Guessing the cost of the great north links comp is going to go up played over the 2017&2018 Irish open courses and the 2019 open course.

Great to watch the Pro's play a course that we have played a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

mike12 wrote: »
    Guessing the cost of the great north links comp is going to go up played over the 2017&2018 Irish open courses and the 2019 open course.

Great to watch the Pro's play a course that we have played a few times.

Advertised at €230 for 2017, could they ramp it up for this year yet? Still good value considering the advertised green fees.(although they are probably yank fees, not GUI. Played Ballyliffin Old Course for €30 last October.)

Definitely want to play this this year, trying to pull a team together at the moment. Can you enter as just an individual without a team?

• Advertisement

martinkop wrote: »
    Advertised at €230 for 2017, could they ramp it up for this year yet? Still good value considering the advertised green fees.(although they are probably yank fees, not GUI. Played Ballyliffin for €30 last October.)

Definitely want to play this this year, trying to pull a team together at the moment. Can you enter as just an individual without a team?
    The last 3 years it has gone 175,200,230 for this year.
    Still decent value for 3 super courses. I would ring Ballyliffin so see if they have any single spots.
    We booked a couple of months ago and it was fairly full at that time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just had a look at their website, fantastic looking course.

Shudder at the amount of steps into one of the greenside bunkers!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Played both the courses back in 2015, found them very fair and was well impressed, not a long course, off the whites I had to stall after the front nine as I had it done in an hour (first out), the elevated par 3 with pond to the RHS probably stays in my mind the most, then again it's my PC background to this day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It sounds too easy if that short ?

Can we do another sub 20 unde.

Course is 7200 off the back tees, they have loads of room to add extra yards to holes if they wanted.
    All links courses need the wind to protect them they play short with the run in the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

mike12 wrote: »
    I would ring Ballyliffin so see if they have any single spots.
    We booked a couple of months ago and it was fairly full at that time.

Fully booked now unfortunately :( Went on reserve list, may get in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Live only a few miles from there, and great news for the area.

Would call myself a casual golf watcher, I don't play, but I have my 4 day ticket booked already, a bargain at €80.

I'm hearing most of the accommodation around the area is booked up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They have an open every Friday for €30, not sure which course but well worth the fee.
    Played the old course once and had the round of my life, so it's a favourite of mine, not too punishing and some great feature holes, thought the greens were very flat for a links.
    Played the new course once, lashing rain and we got called in after 9, unplayable. New course looked like more of a challenge, championship tees were 50yards back from the whites on some holes. Bunkers everywhere, for those 9 holes I played, I think I was in 11 bunkers.

Theres is a hotel close by with a spa, so great to drop the wife off at before heading for 18 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will definitely make a day or two of this one, wife from Donegal so make a holiday of it and finish of the WWW too. Great value tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm hearing most of the accommodation around the area is booked up already.

Hmmm I wonder if some of that accommodation might become available again late next June for a few pennies more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Hmmm I wonder if some of that accommodation might become available again late next June for a few pennies more.

The hotels up there do a lot of weddings, assume the weddings are booked already for the Friday and Saturday. Think some brides won't be too happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think the hotels have said they will honour any weddings & rooms already booked. I suppose they have to, unless the couple agree to move it for a deal !

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

yeah i know of a couple who had their deposit paid for a hotel up there. when family tried to book rooms a few weeks back they were told no availability due to an event which hadn't been announced yet. They cancelled but not sure if any refund was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Just a warning to anyone thinking of going to the Irish open in Ballyliffin 2018. Apparently there are some dodgy ticket outlets selling overpriced tickets and saying that certain days are almost sold out.

If you are going log onto Ballyliffin golf clubs website and follow the link on their official website to buy the tickets.

I just got tickets for the Sat and Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Any locals from around the area able to give a bit of insight into accommodation? Heading up for the weekend, and at this rate could be driving up and back each day, as can't seem to find anywhere to stay for a reasonable price. Have they announced any shuttle buses from larger towns around the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Airbnb Buncrana. It’s the nearest town of any size and is basically one giant big holiday house for the north of Ireland. I’d be surprised if it could ever sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

This might not suit everyone, but there is a few good camping sites in this area.

Getting a hotel room will be impossible at this stage so I would recommend looking as far away as Derry area and Letterkenny downwards. Another option is camper vans.

B&Bs are very popular in the area but widen your search when looking for them.

If you ring Ballyliffen I’m sure John will sort you out with what’s available in the area locally, lots of pubs have rooms available in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Looks like confirmation is on the way that Lahinch will host next years Irish Open

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

fearruanua wrote: »
    Looks like confirmation is on the way that Lahinch will host next years Irish Open

That would be class

plumber77 wrote: »
    That would be class

If rory gets his way and the european tour have the irish open the week before the british open in portrush, it could be the best irish open field ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's going to be very hard to get into the Open.
    Very poor roads and it seems like there's only one road in if I remember correctly.
    It will probably just be shuttle buses.

It's going to be very hard to get into the Open.
    Very poor roads and it seems like there's only one road in if I remember correctly.
    It will probably just be shuttle buses.

that narrow bridge in ennistymon :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

that narrow bridge in ennistymon :eek::eek::eek:

That will be a challenge for sure!

Advertisement