Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Open 2018 Ballyliffin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

fearruanua wrote: »
    that narrow bridge in ennistymon :eek::eek::eek:

They have to fix that. You could use the other road via Liscannor btw.

There definitely will be shuttle buses

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    They have to fix that. You could use the other road via Liscannor btw.

There definitely will be shuttle buses

Rent a house in lahinch for the weekend between a group of lads. That would be the right job. ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

It’s comfirmed.

Great course and will be a terrific venue. Access won’t be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,270 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Limerick Leader says it's first week of July, so not week before British Open. Unfortunate, still be great though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

AGC wrote: »
    It’s comfirmed.

Great course and will be a terrific venue. Access won’t be an issue.

Agree with the bolded bit and I'm delighted it's going to Lahinch. Why do you say access won't be an issue? It will be carnage for anyone travelling from outside of west Clare!!!!!

• Advertisement

Agree with the bolded bit and I'm delighted it's going to Lahinch. Why do you say access won't be an issue? It will be carnage for anyone travelling from outside of west Clare!!!!!

Every venue listed as possible venues had access issues bar Portmarnock Links which is not in the same quality of course as the others.

Player wise they have Shannon and can stay in various places.

Park and ride Will have to be used and the best thing they can do is ensure it’s enforced so only a very limited number can access the town by car.

There will be no issues once organised and communicated properly which the European Tour seem decent at.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Every venue listed as possible venues had access issues bar Portmarnock Links which is not in the same quality of course as the others.

But you just said access won't be an issue?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    But you just said access won't be an issue?

And? Organised properly it won’t be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

2018-06-20 10_19_55-Ballyliffin GC (@Ballyliffin) _ Twitter.jpg Site map released. Looking forward to this!!!

A bit wary of all parking on site, hope its managed well to maintain a good flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Have they announced any "getting to the course" information yet? Staying in Letterkenny so want to see what coaches/buses are available for the Saturday. Will drive the Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

would love to see a few pics of the course. I hear that they are watering fairways, would nearly prefer to see the fairways very dry and toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

So I'm off that week and looked into it and dear god I fear this may be a non event in terms of on-site spectators. I certainly won't be going. Something mad like Tiger appearing would be the only thing to get me up there. Its a bloody hour and half from Donegal town in the absolute middle of nowhere. They might as well have it on the Faeroer Islands. Who the fk thought that was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Ah sure we could just rename it the Dublin Open and play it on the M50 instead of on a golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just somewhere with reasonable access and some kind of infrastructure around it would do. Why put in the most remote spot possible? They must have tons of sponsor money to burn. They sure can't expect much money from the gates. I would have thought that being commercially viable is a factor too in these things...

thewobbler wrote: »
    Ah sure we could just rename it the Dublin Open and play it on the M50 instead of on a golf course.
    The usual extreme boards reaction. Can always rely on it.

I think what he's trying to say is why not have it somewhere a bit more accessible. I'll be traveling up, but would will be a nightmare to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

So I'm off that week and looked into it and dear god I fear this may be a non event in terms of on-site spectators. I certainly won't be going. Something mad like Tiger appearing would be the only thing to get me up there. Its a bloody hour and half from Donegal town in the absolute middle of nowhere. They might as well have it on the Faeroer Islands. Who the fk thought that was a good idea?

Derry is only down the road, letterkenny half an hour,the northern golf fans support the Irish open events better than the southern crowd, when it's up their way,they won't think it's too far, this place is spectacular. Holding it there is fantastic for the people of the area. You couldnt bye the sort of advertising it will get from this. What course would you like it to be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Just somewhere with reasonable access and some kind of infrastructure around it would do. Why put in the most remote spot possible? They must have tons of sponsor money to burn. They sure can't expect much money from the gates. I would have thought that being commercially viable is a factor too in these things...

Portrush isnt that far away and the 2012 Irish Open sold out. 1 or 2 more hotels and roads are maybe a bit better in Portrush owing to Bushmills and The Giants Causeway but I still reckon itl be a successful staging.

Eoinyh wrote: »
    letterkenny half an hour

In a rocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭thewobbler

wardides wrote: »

I think what he's trying to say is why not have it somewhere a bit more accessible. I'll be traveling up, but would will be a nightmare to get to.

Yes but who gets to draw a line on what constitutes inaccessible?

Look, Ballyliffin is a tough bugger of a journey from pretty much anywhere. But it’s the Irish Open I.e. for the whole of Ireland, and if there’s one county in Ireland that deserves to host it, it is the golf society heaven that is Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

In a rocket?

Twin cam, sure there's no speed limit in Donegal
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uNS4iDaNg4M

Hopefully the weather lasts but being the Irish open it's likely to be a wash out as usual.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Did you ever visit North Donegal. And what is your interpretation of the middle of nowhere.

wardides wrote: »

Yes but who gets to draw a line on what constitutes inaccessible?

Look, Ballyliffin is a tough bugger of a journey from pretty much anywhere. But it’s the Irish Open I.e. for the whole of Ireland, and if there’s one county in Ireland that deserves to host it, it is the golf society heaven that is Donegal.
    I definitely buy into sharing it around. But I think you could argue, if for example someone was based in Letterkenny, that Portstewart last year was just as handy as Ballyliffin would be. That's not to mention anyone from Bundoran, Ballyshannon, Gweedore etc. It's just a tricky one. Not that big a deal though, it's one year. Crowds will go, and it will be grand as usual. Not as much crowds as what you would get in the K club, but sure by that logic you would just have it in Dublin all the time.
    I also don't really buy into the poor folk of Donegal not seeing golf. Irish open last year, this year and British Open next year will be more accessible to those above, than most of the golfing folk around Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

The poor quality of field for this year's Irish Open, it appears has got a lot to do with what you said above. Only 7 of the world's top 50 players are set to play in Ballyliffin. Very disappointing indeed when you consider it is a $7 million event and part of the lucrative Rolex series.

Edna_Ennky wrote: »
    The poor quality of field for this year's Irish Open, it appears has got a lot to do with what you said above. Only 7 of the world's top 50 players are set to play in Ballyliffin. Very disappointing indeed when you consider it is a $7 million event and part of the lucrative Rolex series.

So much negativity. Nice to see a big event in Inishowen. I'm sure it will be a massive success.Think the middle of nowhere remark is a very stupid remark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've been there to play those courses and relatively speaking from an Irish perspective it is quite isolated so middle of nowhere is a fair comment/opinion.
    Roads there are just okay and there's not a hope of parking anywhere near the entrance on wide roads etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Totally disagree with the middle of nowhere remark myself. As far as I know the travelling to and from the course is going to be well thought out and well catered for and as for the roads its a rural area and the roads are actually not that bad . Granted there not perfect but it all adds to the wonderful scenery of the whole course and area.

If ballyliffin isn't in the middle of nowhere I don't know where is.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    If ballyliffin isn't in the middle of nowhere I don't know where is.

Here you are.
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/02/21/where-is-the-middle-of-nowhere/

Advertisement