Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen Freesat?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is there any box yet that gives freesat epg and saorview epg with recording? One that doesnt require pc configuration with channel lists etc?
    Strictly speaking there are none because Freesat impose restrictions. Like the way recordings of HD Free To Air programs are encrypted so you can't watch them on a different device.

In reality there are plenty of options.

SKY, Virgin, Eir, Vodafone, etc. will rent you a box that has UK and Irish on the same EPG.
    Apart from RTE1 or 2 if you want ANY Irish channel, in HD you will need to pay monthly for it. :mad:

Freesat box and Saorview TV and a USB memory stick is the easiest option. And it just works. Apart from series link on Saorview.
    A lot of button presses to swap UK-Irish. If FreeSat had better CEC support this would be soo much easier.
    FreeSat handles schedule changes and offers alternatives when there's a recording conflict better than a Linux box.

Linux box. For legal reasons this has to be a roll-your-own. The Freesat EPG can't be preinstalled. Things like AutoBouquetMaker mean you can get the stations setup and numbered easily enough. HD recordings aren't encrypted.
    You can get the Irish channels through built in TV tuner, compatible USB tuner, or Saorsat. YMMV on the Irish On Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Linux box. For legal reasons this has to be a roll-your-own. It can't be preinstalled. Things like AutoBouquetMaker mean you can get the stations setup and numbered easily enough. HD recordings aren't encrypted.
    You can get the Irish channels through built in TV tuner, compatible USB tuner, or Saorsat. YMMV on the Irish On Demand.

What legal reasons are you referring to?

Of course Linux can be installed on devices for sale ...... and that is not at all uncommon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What legal reasons are you referring to?

Of course Linux can be installed on devices for sale ...... and that is not at all uncommon!
    yes of course Linux can be preinstalled.

But you have to roll-your-own because the EPG grabbing setup can't be preinstalled.

AFAIK with patents any individual can use the information in a patent for their own use but a commercial enterprise can't and it's something like that.

yes of course Linux can be preinstalled.

But you have to roll-your-own because the EPG grabbing setup can't be preinstalled.

AFAIK with patents any individual can use the information in a patent for their own use but a commercial enterprise can't and it's something like that.

So it can be pre-installed but the 7 day EPG needs to be initiated by the user?
    A simple thing to do with the available add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Have been lucky with Humax, still using the Foxsat hdr since 2009, not a day goes by it's not recording, a great box

The Foxsat-HDR is still the business, especially with the modified firmware. I have two :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Foxsat-HDR is still the business, especially with the modified firmware. I have two :)

Particularly since we are geo-blocked for all the new features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

lukeeman wrote: »
    Amazon had them on there site on Tuesday I think it was a mistake, I bought the 500gb one got it thru parcel motel today. Seems good only prob so far is the remote.

How's this been going for you since you got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tweezer

Mr Velo wrote: »

I managed to get one too and unfortunately it’s going back as it reboots not long after it switches on from passive standby.

I read on another forum it has been pushed back until end of March due to technical issues, hopefully that covers my issue and it wasn’t a faulty box. It was a step up from the Humax speed wise for the short time it was on and the new EPG looked crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I loved the modified firmware and the ability to stream in HD. Unfortunately, I was the only one using it as “others” found multiple EPG’s too cumbersome. It was only when I moved to Linux that I finally got permission to unsubscribe from Sky.

I still have the Foxsat HDR, but I haven’t used it in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Mr Velo wrote: »

Very happy with the box, alot faster than my old Humax, only problem
    so far is the remote on the same frequency as the saorview box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I never did the modified software, I wouldn't have a clue how to do it

Just looked at this page
    https://www.freesat.ie/freesat-4k-tv-box.html
    where it is €180 for the non-recordable box.

Looking to the built in advantages of this box ..... the on demand services ...... I wonder how many of those will work in Ireland?

Would they be just geo-blocked or do they require something extra (besides subs for the likes of Netflix) to be able to be used?

There seems to be a fairly comprehensive list of services built in but not much use if not accessible here
    On Demand Services:
    BBC iPlayer
    ITV Hub
    Netflix
    YouTube
    My5
    STV Player
    UKTV Play
    Horror Bites
    CBS Catchup Channels
    France 24
    Pop Fun

Is there any information of those available when in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Just looked at this page

Looking to the built in advantages of this box ..... the on demand services ...... I wonder how many of those will work in Ireland?

Would they be just geo-blocked or do they require something extra (besides subs for the likes of Netflix) to be able to be used?

There seems to be a fairly comprehensive list of services built in but not much use if not accessible here

Most or all of those, with the exception of Netflix and YouTube, are on the Humax box but don't work here in normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

https://www.freesat.co.uk/4k-tv-box/ has been updated with more spec details at the bottom of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Just looked at this page

ITV hub unblocked at present on Humax Freesat box.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

still free. used the family postcode to log in.. ta for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Freesat tweet about the recordable boxes
    All being well the boxes will be available by Easter.

https://twitter.com/freesat_tv/status/1247154969536385026

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Anyone hear any update on when the recordable boxes go on sale? Was to be Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Freesat tweet yesterday morning
    The new Recordable 4K TV Box is expected to be available from Currys/PC World next week and on the Freesat website shortly after.

https://twitter.com/freesat_tv/status/1250718043384221696

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They've made an unholy mess of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a bit mad that they don't have the likes of Disney+ and Prime on the box.

Disney+ is a great app. 4k on it for the same price. The HDR symbol kicks in on my tv when 4k content is played. Not that you would notice a huge difference on a 42" tv. Kids love it and a good selection of quality films like Toy Story and Frozen, etc. The kids will watch that stuff over and over. The app is also on fire sticks.

Freesat are being left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It is a bit mad that they don't have the likes of Disney+ and Prime on the box.

Disney+ is a great app. 4k on it for the same price. The HDR symbol kicks in on my tv when 4k content is played. Not that you would notice a huge difference on a 42" tv. Kids love it and a good selection of quality films like Toy Story and Frozen, etc. The kids will watch that stuff over and over. The app is also on fire sticks.

Freesat are being left behind.

Not every Freesat/Saorview user gets excited for paying for television beyond the licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not every Freesat/Saorview user gets excited for paying for television beyond the licence fee.

You don't pay any licence fee for freesat if you are in the ROI.
    The previous generation freesat box already has subscription apps like netflix, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Currently the new 4K boxes and old Humax boxes aren’t hugely different but I’m sure that will change in time when live 4K channels come on board

Right now this image from the 4K Freesat box recording screen seems interesting- is C4 HD returning????

B70-DF1-EB-75-FF-43-C4-A800-DE8-DE5-FCC1-B9.jpg

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

^^
    I wouldn't go by that at all, as it also shows Spike, which is now rebranded as Paramount.

That Film4 logo is also ancient and long superceded.

Looks like they lazily used an older file image.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

Unfortunately no C4 HD on recording boxs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The timer dates are July so definitely an old stock image. Typical of the half-a*sed launch FreeSat are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would Currys deliver to Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Would Currys deliver to Parcel Motel?
    I’m giving it a try. They rejected my Irish credit card initially but accepted PayPal. Will keep you posted.

Advertisement