Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen Freesat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Will there will need to be a new dish/lnb to support the new boxes?

I guess it depends on which tech they go with for the multi-tuners, wideband or SCR? Also will the new boxes include legacy connections for a standard LNB?

From recent posts over on AV forums
    Deano 123
    Thursday Jan 30th at 5:06 PM

Just been on to freesat and the man assured me advertising and prices will be out in the next few weeks and there looking at putting the next gen box on sale in Feb 2020 . And its completely compatible with your old sky Q set up.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/post-27737536
    HeadBanger
    Monday Feb 3rd at 2:05 PM

I just went on the FreeSat website and did a live chat with a very helpful guy called Craig and asked a number of questions.

He confirmed:
    1. The boxes will be released by the end of Feb.
    2. HDD sizes will be 500Gb, 1Tb or 2Tb.
    3. Prices will be ~£80 for the on demand box and between £149-£249 for the PVRs (depending on the HDD size you want).
    4. The boxes will work with both standard or wideband LNBs.
    5. If connected to a wideband LNB you will be able to record up to 4 channels (or 3 whilst watching another).

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/post-27747908

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then no HDD/SDD, have they abandoned drives or is it just a case of waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So what's going to be in 4k?

• Advertisement

Streaming material

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

There's 2 LNB Inputs, so it must be able to record. Why else would it have them. It must be a mistake regarding no HDD built in

There's also a Record button on the remote. It's available from today on Amazon

According to the earlier info there will be a 500Gb, 1Tb and 2Tb boxes. In a warehouse in China maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Streaming material

Ah great!
    And me with ropey broadband.

What sort of speed do you need to stream 4k?

There's 2 LNB Inputs, so it must be able to record. Why else would it have them. It must be a mistake regarding no HDD built in

Zapper box with 2 wideband/legacy connections probably. RF1 IN likely to be the +13/18V legacy connection.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    So what's going to be in 4k?

Streaming services
    4K/UHD TV required to view 4K/UHD content where available. Premium HDMI cable supplied. 4K/UHD streaming requires faster broadband connection speeds – see service providers’ recommendations for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

There's also a Record button on the remote. It's available from today on Amazon

Amazon spec sheet says no Hdd, so twin tuner, add your own Hdd, streaming not generally available here, I know it can be done. Remote very similar to Saorview Connect, allowing for exchange rate, similar in price, bearing in mind, sat epg, streaming, 4k, etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X46XVMD?askMessage=VOTE_CAST
    Is the record, pause, rewind live TV functionality built in?
    Answer: Hi Ash,
    Thanks for getting in touch. Our Recordable 4K TV Boxes are coming soon and will be available with 500GB, 1TB and 2TB of storage.
    Thanks,

Question: Does it record?
    Answer: This listing is for our standard 4K TV Box, but our Recordable 4K TV Boxes are coming soon and will be available with 500GB, 1TB and 2TB of storage.
    Thanks,
    Freesat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Spec does not look good for a modern device ...... looking at the spec here https://www.freesat.co.uk/4k-tv-box/ this seems to be the situaiton

no USB 3
    HDMI is only x1
    No mention of HDR; HDR+; DV etc
    Did not see what speed ethernet it has. Hopefully it is 1Gb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Don't think I will be giving up on my Humax for a while yet, there might even be more demand for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No Amazon Prime?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Hi Guys - Just a quick question - I have just a week or so left on my SKY Q subscription. I am correct in thinking that if I buy this box, i just plug the existing SKY Q cables into this and I will receive all of the Free stations? No need to adjust the Satellite etc?
    Thank you..

Cheapo wrote: »
    I have just a week or so left on my SKY Q subscription. I am correct in thinking that if I buy this box, i just plug the existing SKY Q cables into this and I will receive all of the Free stations? No need to adjust the Satellite etc?

Not 100% sure of that as Freesat haven't confirmed this particular box has wideband tuners but 2 LNB inputs on non recording could point in this direction.

It has been posted by people on other forums, incl those testing the boxes pre release that this new generation of boxes has wideband and legacy tuners but no official confirmation of this.

@Cheapo don't forget that the Irish channels are not available from this satellite without a Sky subscription, so some additional means of receiving them will be necessary if you want them.

The manual for the new box has been posted over on AVforums - https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/post-27767095

Here we are from the manual, page 20, legacy, wideband and MDU LNB options, I assume MDU (Multi Dwelling Units) refers to SCR or Sky's propriety dSCR. The 2 inputs would be required for a wideband LNB.

Arris-Freesat-LNB-config.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Damn expensive for a non-recording box. £125GBP on Amazon

No recording function yet?

Have to wait for future devices with HDDs?

No recording function yet?

Have to wait for future devices with HDDs?

"Coming Soon" - https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/post-27767695

The Q&A on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/asin/B07X46XVMD/2/ref=ask_dp_iaw_ql_hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx4QC6XXTIBBZQ
    Does this work with a wideband LNB, which the old boxes didn’t?

Answer: It sure does. Our latest boxes are compatible with most UK satellite dishes so whether you’re switching from Sky+ or SkyQ, it’s simply a matter of plugging in your cables and you’re good to go!
    Can i add non-freesat fta channels to a favourites list?

Answer: Non-Freesat channels can only be accessed when the box is set to non-Freesat mode, therefore only Freesat channels can be added to the Favourites list.

Which is annoying, Manhattan has two channel lists and the favs are integrated.

When the recordable box is released how many channels can you record at the same time?

Answer: The Recordable 4K TV Boxes can record up to 4 shows at the same time, depending on the type of satellite dish you have.

Why 2 legacy tuners and why 2 legacy LNB cables required on this non-recording box, this from the Amazon Q&A
    Why does it have two tuners if it doesn't record?

Answer:Our 4K TV Boxes have two tuners because they are compatible with most UK satellite dishes, so if your box is connected to a dish with wideband LNB or standard LNB (using 2 cables) it will use one of the tuners to tune into the channel you’re viewing and the other to tune to our home transponder. This enables the box to receive programme information and any available software updates at the same time.

Not sure if the second legacy cable is mandatory for setup or use?

Edit: Second legacy cable not mandatory, single cable will suffice
    connect the cables from your satellite dish to the sockets labelled RF IN 1 and RF IN 2 on the back of your Box by screwing them in. If your satellite dish cable only has one connector, it can be connected to either socket.

Source: Manual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Sounds like a bit of a strange explanation to me. The reason for the two inputs is more likely because a wideband LNB needs two inputs whether it's recording or not. One cable carries the vertically polarised channels while the other carries the horizontally polarised channels. A standard LNB can just run on the one input.

Guess what, Freesat have leaned on Amazon and they refuse to send to Ireland, but only the bit south of a border.

Guess what, Freesat have leaned on Amazon and they refuse to send to Ireland, but only the bit south of a border.

According to a post I read elsewhere Freesat have taken over the distribution of these Arris boxes unlike the previous generation of boxes which were distributed directly by the manufacturers.

The box will be stocked by Amazon, Currys/PC World, Argos, John Lewis followed by selected independent retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Use addresspal and it should deliver no problem.

Did anyone notice there was no Prime on the apps. Just the same apps that are on the humax 1100s.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Use addresspal and it should deliver no problem.
    addresspal AnPost Post Office
    Parcelwizard DPD deliver
    Parcelconnect Fastway Shops
    Parcelmotel Nightline Lockers

Launching a box that doesn't record ?

The remote control looks a lot like the Saorview connect one with app buttons. How long did it take for it to get recording ;)

Advertisement