Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen Freesat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pricing for the new boxes

• Freesat 4K TV Box £124.99
    • Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 500GB, £199.99
    • Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 1TB, £229.99
    • Freesat Recordable 4K TV Box 2TB, £269.99
    The new Freesat 4K TV Box and the Freesat Recordable 4K TV Boxes will be available at Amazon and Currys PC World from the end of February.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1245916/Sky-TV-Virgin-Media-rival-4K-freesat-new-box

Digi Repairs in Enniskillen has the non-PVR box on it's site for £160

https://www.digirepairs.co.uk/product/buy-new-freesat-4k-tv-box-model-freesat-uhd-xby-arris/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Christ, freesat less free than it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Looking at the pics on Amazon the user interface looks poorer compared to the humax. No contrast between the greyness on the user guide between the channel number and the programme info.

I asked on Amazon if Now tv and Prime were coming. No confirmation but said they were in discussions and exciting news was to come.
    If they couldn't have it in place for launch I wouldn't hold my breath.

For this 4k box to work it really needs to have all the streaming options on it.

I think I would prefer to see an android type box launched that would allow you to sign up to whatever streaming apps you want or that might come to the market down the road.

Are Arris the only game in town now for freesat recordable boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,181 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Unboxing of the 4K TV box, surprising nobody has done a review of it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is there any box yet that gives freesat epg and saorview epg with recording? One that doesnt require pc configuration with channel lists etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Is there any box yet that gives freesat epg and saorview epg with recording? One that doesnt require pc configuration with channel lists etc?
    Very unlikely as there no market. FreeSat software is only licensed for UK. RTE couldn't / wouldn't get it for their mess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Christ, freesat less free than it used to be.
    Completely different topic but the current UK government have removed a lot of BBC funding and are making noises about removing more.

As long as overspill is cheaper there shouldn't be a return to Free To View cards.

The manual for the new recordable boxes has been posted over on AVforums - https://www.avforums.com/threads/new-generation-freesat-stb-arris.2256339/page-10#post-27802871

According to the forum the new 500Gb and 1Tb boxes go on sale on Amazon Mar 7th. At Currys a week or do later

• Advertisement
    M

Am I right in thinking the twin inputs will be used to support 2 connections from standard non Sky Q dish to allow multiple channel viewing and recording at the same time?

Am I right in thinking the twin inputs will be used to support 2 connections from standard non Sky Q dish to allow multiple channel viewing and recording at the same time?

2 standard tuners when used with a legacy LNB, same as previous Freesat PVRs.

4 tuners with wideband or hybrid LNB and also in SCR (MDU) mode I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder what connection/s will be needed when using a Unicable LNB ...... one or two ..... to get the full range of tuners?

I wonder what connection/s will be needed when using a Unicable LNB ...... one or two ..... to get the full range of tuners?

I assume 1, as most apartments have only a single feed. SkyQ uses one connection to feed 12 tuners.

In the LNB setup there is MDU and MDU2, possibly to reflect which input the SCR feed is connected to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

I'm waiting impatiently for the recording box to come out. My HDR-1000S died about a month ago; it wouldn't output any video on HDMI or SCART even though the channel name appeared on the front display. So I'm using a basic FTA box to get me by for now. I think I'll go up to Newry to get one when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

What I have is very close to that, see this thread. You update the firmware, input a few parameters, and you’re good to go. Channels, and channel lists update automatically and Irish and UK channels are in an integrated EPG.

The only problem is that the Tiviar box is becoming scarce. However, automating the channel lists is very easy and a number of replacement boxes are available, with the hard drive fitted, for around €200. If anyone wants to go down that road I can posts the files I use. With those, it’s a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Freesat is a proprietary system for which they charge handsomely.

It is also somewhat limited, as there are some desirable channels which do not pay to be on that system, yet are available Free to Air.

A fully equipped FTA box is a much better option in my opinion - such as that mentioned in the previous post.
    There are some others available also that have similar functionality, but would probably require some work on the user's part to get full functionality.
    NewClareman has generously shared his work on the Tiviar which makes things very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

ka2 wrote: »
    I'm waiting impatiently for the recording box to come out. My HDR-1000S died about a month ago; it wouldn't output any video on HDMI or SCART even though the channel name appeared on the front display. So I'm using a basic FTA box to get me by for now. I think I'll go up to Newry to get one when it's released.

Have been lucky with Humax, still using the Foxsat hdr since 2009, not a day goes by it's not recording, a great box

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

looking for some help, i got the new freesat record boxs and the remote is clashing with my saorview boxs remote
    does anybody know how to seperate the frequency on either remote.

M

lukeeman wrote: »
    looking for some help, i got the new freesat record boxs and the remote is clashing with my saorview boxs remote

It's not even released yet, how did you get it?

• Advertisement

Amazon had them on there site on Tuesday I think it was a mistake, I bought the 500gb one got it thru parcel motel today. Seems good only prob so far is the remote.

M

Amazon had them on there site on Tuesday I think it was a mistake, I bought the 500gb one got it thru parcel motel today. Seems good only prob so far is the remote.

Sweet, looking to get one myself.

Is your Saorview box the latest model?

Sweet, looking to get one myself.

Is your Saorview box the latest model?

im using the saorview power point box, cant find anything on either boxs to change the frequency.

Look at the manual. It will show you how to change the frequency. Otherwise the Connect manual should have it.

Look at the manual. It will show you how to change the frequency. Otherwise the Connect manual should have it.

No luck so far tried the instructions they had up, will try or ring them in morning.
    Thanks for the replys

Going by the questions on Amazon it seems this box won't allow multi-room viewing from the main box. You will still need a satellite cable in each room.

There is very little 4k content out there either.

The box doesn't have any huge selling point.

Unfortunately both remote controls have the same Freesat origin. Humax had the same issue between Freesat and Freeview boxes and there was a workaround for them when used together, they were for the same market. I wonder if they have a fix for the Arris and Saorview issue?
    No luck so far tried the instructions they had up, will try or ring them in morning.
    This is what the manual says
    If you have any problems that are not covered in the manual, or you have attempted the suggested troubleshooting fixes and this has not helped then please call our call centre on 0345 313 0051 or email customerteam@freesat.co.uk

Going by the questions on Amazon it seems this box won't allow multi-room viewing from the main box. You will still need a satellite cable in each room.

Looks like multscreen didn't make it past its initial request for proposals back in 2017 - https://advanced-television.com/2017/09/01/freesat-seeks-next-gen-product-proposals/

You would wonder why?
    I wonder will it be able to do anything on remote devices like tablets and phones?

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Unfortunately both remote controls have the same Freesat origin. Humax had the same issue between Freesat and Freeview boxes and there was a workaround for them when used together, they were for the same market. I wonder if they have a fix for the Arris and Saorview issue?

This is what the manual says

As ROI is not an official market for freesat I doubt they'll be spending any time trying to integrate saorview.

Advertisement