Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthlings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Plenty of very unhealthy meat eaters out there as well. The biggest fallacy perpetuated by the meat and dairy industries is that their products provide a balanced intake of proteins, calcium, vitamins etc. as they know that by stating this most of their customers won't bother to go and check any facts for themselves.

There's plenty of vegan Triathletes, MMA fighters, Ultrarunners, Rugby players etc out there competing at the top of their game, fuelled by nothing but plants, so you might need to curb the generalisations and get informed.

I dont think any meat or dairy company says their product provide a balanced intake of proteins, calcium, vitamins. That would be stupid.

They might advertise cheese as being high in protein and calcium etc.
    But a Steak, potatoes, carrots, peas on a plate provides a pretty decent nutritious meal. Noone is going to claim that a big steak along will provide a balanced diet.

And i didnt generalise, i simply said every vegan that i have met.
    I bet if you ask a professional athlete who is vegan what they need to do to make sure they get enough calories, protein etc im sure they need to go through a much bigger ordeal than a meat eater.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Imagine if the whole world was vegan? We'd need more areas cleared out for crop and vegetable farming than we do now.

What do you think of that my fellow vegans?

Thats not true actually.

Most land is taken up for growing food to feed animals. Consider how much grass and grain a cow needs to eat from birth up to slaughter (about 18 months) So it would actually probably even out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How can you find out if somebody has a tired joke about vegans?

You don't have to, they'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Synthol wrote: »
    I am just trying to spread the message, animals suffer every single day to support the massive meat industry.

In fairness I'd suffer every day without the meat industry.

Do people think we should keep destroying forests to satisfy the worlds increased demand for meat, or we should try to cut down on meat consumption?

Why not? Forests aren't delicious.

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote: »
    All of the Earth's biggest, strongest most powerful creatures are vegetarian.

O rly?

64_hi_257749_sm_491458.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

That's because the better land is being used for tillage farming, generally soyabean production while the less productive land is used for cattle farming.

So in effect, it's the demand for soya that is driving deforestation.

The demand for bio fuels is playing a part also. Incredible acreage's of oil crops are being grown worldwide for fuel.

archer22 wrote: »
    All of the Earth's biggest, strongest most powerful creatures are vegetarian.

All of the worlds "Earth's biggest, strongest most powerful creatures that are vegetarian" spend their whole days eating in order to get a sufficient amount of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I dont think any meat or dairy company says their product provide a balanced intake of proteins, calcium, vitamins. That would be stupid.

http://www.ndc.ie/dairy-goodness/8-reasons-to-drink-milk

http://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfood/meat/porkbacon/pages/nutritionalbenefits.aspx

http://www.bordbia.ie/consumer/aboutfood/eggs/pages/default.aspx

etc. etc. These are the representatives of the aforementioned industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thats not true actually.

Most land is taken up for growing food to feed animals. Consider how much grass and grain a cow needs to eat from birth up to slaughter (about 18 months) So it would actually probably even out.

But the argument comes that once everyone goes vegan we will need vastly more space to farm crops to supplement the gap left by meat in diets.

And if you say
    uh, we just use the land the animals are on now and turn it into cropland!
    ...it flags up the one question none of these Vegan activists, "meat is murder" types ever address......what do we do with the animals we have now?

Because if its an argument of animals being "mistreated" then the prospect of a cull is off the table so that leaves caring for them on the existing land and thus clearing even more land for crops (and still have to produce crops to feed the animals, especially in cases of bad weather).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    What about the plants, the vegetables and the cereals?
    You're happy to butcher, mutilate and devour them, aren't you?
    Care about their pain do you, heartless bxstards.
    Plants are not sentient.

Plants are alive. Who are you to decide which life should be preserved and which shouldn't. By your arbitrary sentience nonsense. Do you think you're God.

And in addition to your holocaust on defenseless plant life you are happy to wipe out billions of insects world wide every year. For the crime of taking a small slice of the action - of your precious salads you want to stuff your face with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Human brains have decreased in size by 8% in the last 10,000 years.

This coincides with the start of the agricultural revolution, where over time people have eaten less meat and more grains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Plants are alive. Who are you to decide which life should be preserved and which shouldn't. By your arbitrary sentience nonsense. Do you think you're God.

And in addition to your holocaust on defenseless plant life you are happy to wipe out billions of insects world wide every year. For the crime of taking a small slice of the action - of your precious salads you want to stuff your face with.

this is also where i have a problem with vegans . If they want to be vegan because they feel it is a healthier diet then fair enough but don't give me the speel about animal cruelty . Just because you cant see an animal rambling around a field it doesn't mean smaller critters are not being poisoned by spraying. its like a friend of mine down here who would be big into animal rights and would be forever talking about animal welfare but the same guy has no problem putting out rat poison because he sees them as vermin , he doesn't want to hear about a fox killing chickens being vermin in the farmers eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

this is also where i have a problem with vegans . If they want to be vegan because they feel it is a healthier diet then fair enough but don't give me the speel about animal cruelty . Just because you cant see an animal rambling around a field it doesn't mean smaller critters are not being poisoned by spraying. its like a friend of mine down here who would be big into animal rights and would be forever talking about animal welfare but the same guy has no problem putting out rat poison because he sees them as vermin , he doesn't want to hear about a fox killing chickens being vermin in the farmers eyes

And what about all the birds my brother/father shoot to stop them eating freshly sown seeds?

If we end meat farming for cruelty, then this has to end too so now we have unchecked disruption of crops from birds, who will only increase in numbers due to reduced deaths from farmers and a now increased food source (more fields of crops to make up for no more meat).

So now we have to plant even more crops to make up for the shortfall that never even get a start.

So say we get 100tons of crops from 1000 acres (BS numbers I pulled from my arse, if you have official please post em) but lose 10-15% to birds eating seeds we now have to plant about 1150 acres worth to make up the shortfall, so thats more land cleared and more rainforests torn down (because we still have all the old farmland housing the cows/sheep/pigs etc remember, we cant turf them onto wildland because it would destroy the ecology).

And on the tpoic of spraying bugs off the precious precious veggies, does that mean we could cultivate insects for consumption? Balk as you will, its gonna be a viable food source for a lot of people if money is invested.

And if insects are fair game, then surely clams/oysters and such are fair game since they aren't that intellectually developed and have less developed nervous and emotional systems than a beetle or a locust!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It's not immediately obvious but when talking about things like dairy and eggs there are a load of issues. When a cow stops producing enough milk they are killed at a fraction of their lifespan. They re forced to go through pregnancies up until then, as with people you need to get pregnant to start producing milk. Their kids are taken off them which is obviously distressing and either go through the same fate or if male will be killed or exported to be killed as veal at a young age.

For eggs, I used to not have a problem with these but then I found out every single male baby chick is killed as obviously they don't need them for anything, millions of them just thrown into grinders alive.

This one of the main reasons why I became vegetarian :( it's just appalling. Seriously - these chicks are just thrown alive into a huge meat grinder, or something like the following happens: warning, distressing video, I won't embed.

https://youtu.be/phK70feyOmQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

You know you are wrong and are just trying to wind people up. You realise that plants have no emotions or have the same feelings as animals or not? Cows care for their calfs and show emotions when separated, do you see flowers doing that? Why do you think that veganism is some kind of extreme ideology? It's not, veganism is taking REASONABLE steps to reduce animal suffering and improve health. If cockroaches infest your house then it is reasonable to exterminate them as they are affecting your well being, however it is not reasonable to just kill all the cockroaches you see for no reason. There is no scientific proof that plants suffer in any way, however there is proof that animals do.

Just had a run in with a vegan in work, she was giving out that we didn't carry vego bars...While wearing puma jacket and a bag full of lifestyle clothes...Those poor animals...But let's not think of the slave child labour in Asia

Children in slave labour do not get slaughtered and cut into pieces. Again, veganism is taking REASONABLE steps to reduce animal suffering not finding a piece of cloth you like then going home and doing extensive research to where it came from, and you would have a hard time finding where it actually came from, while you know that meat is inherently bad and animals were slaughtered in order to get that meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Children in slave labour do not get slaughtered and cut into pieces. Again, veganism is taking REASONABLE steps to reduce animal suffering not finding a piece of cloth you like then going home and doing extensive research to where it came from, and you would have a hard time finding where it actually came from, while you know that meat is inherently bad and animals were slaughtered in order to get that meat.

Wow oh wow...that is the funniest and saddest thing i have ever heard...eating meat is worse than child labour...gotta love twisted logic of vegans

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    And what about all the birds my brother/father shoot to stop them eating freshly sown seeds?

If we end meat farming for cruelty, then this has to end too so now we have unchecked disruption of crops from birds, who will only increase in numbers due to reduced deaths from farmers and a now increased food source (more fields of crops to make up for no more meat).

So now we have to plant even more crops to make up for the shortfall that never even get a start.

So say we get 100tons of crops from 1000 acres (BS numbers I pulled from my arse, if you have official please post em) but lose 10-15% to birds eating seeds we now have to plant about 1150 acres worth to make up the shortfall, so thats more land cleared and more rainforests torn down (because we still have all the old farmland housing the cows/sheep/pigs etc remember, we cant turf them onto wildland because it would destroy the ecology).

And on the tpoic of spraying bugs off the precious precious veggies, does that mean we could cultivate insects for consumption? Balk as you will, its gonna be a viable food source for a lot of people if money is invested.

And if insects are fair game, then surely clams/oysters and such are fair game since they aren't that intellectually developed and have less developed nervous and emotional systems than a beetle or a locust!

Veganism is taking reasonable steps to reduce animal suffering, and no you wouldn't have to increase farmland as most of it is used for feeding the animals. All meat is unhealthy including insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Thats not true actually.

Did you ever hear of crop rotation and giving the land a break from constant ploughing by putting it in grass for a few years? Grass is no good for humans but ideal for livestock. Not all land is suitable for tilling.

• Advertisement

Wow oh wow...that is the funniest and saddest thing i have ever heard...eating meat is worse than child labour...gotta love twisted logic of vegans

Getting all your children taken away then getting cut into pieces and sold for consumption is not worse? I don't feel that humans are more superior than other animals. Humans are destroying the planet with their insane rates of breeding, I believe that everyone should need to have a licence to have children or be sterilised until they decide that they want to have children. I also believe that abortions should be free and easily available. Do you know how many extinct animals are humans responsible for? And yet the population keeps increasing and more animals will have to be slaughtered to meet the demand and I am sure that more animals will be going extinct. So many animals are now endangered or near extinction thanks to human activity.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of crop rotation and giving the land a break from constant ploughing by putting it in grass for a few years? Grass is no good for humans but ideal for livestock. Not all land is suitable for tilling.

Do your research first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Getting all your children taken away then getting cut into pieces and sold for consumption is not worse? I don't feel that humans are more superior than other animals. Humans are destroying the planet with their insane rates of breeding, I believe that everyone should need to have a licence to have children or be sterilised until they decide that they want to have children. I also believe that abortions should be free and easily available. Do you know how many extinct animals are humans responsible for? And yet the population keeps increasing and more animals will have to be slaughtered to meet the demand and I am sure that more animals will be going extinct. So many animals are now endangered or near extinction thanks to human activity.

That is hilarious, if the sentiments weren't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You are some piece of work! I can guarantee you that some piece of clothing/footwear on you right now as you type your bile comments, is at the expense of a young childs welfare somewhere in the world. While you are perfectly entitled to your Vegan views, you should be ashamed of yourself for dismissing aspects of human suffering in favour of promoting your eating habits. I'm absolutely sicken by your response to this and your completely obsessive behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Okay folks. I'm calling it now and will accept the ban.

Synthol is beyond being a troll. Synthol is fooking nuts.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    You are some piece of work! I can guarantee you that some piece of clothing/footwear on you right now as you type your bile comments, is at the expense of a young childs welfare somewhere in the world. While you are perfectly entitled to your Vegan views, you should be ashamed of yourself for dismissing aspects of human suffering in favour of promoting your eating habits. I'm absolutely sicken by your response to this and your completely obsessive behaviour.

You pretend you care while you eat animals? Sorry but this is laughable, I am not dismissing human suffering, I have wrote that it is unreasonable to find exactly where your clothes came from. Do you know exactly where all your clothes came from? I mean exactly, do you know that a child slave made your clothes? Do you think that all the cloth factories in poor countries are made by slave children? You are delusional, most of these people actually WORK voluntarily to make money and are not forced to. Please do your research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

I am just trying to spread the message, animals suffer every single day to support the massive meat industry.

Less meat eaters = less animals maybe even the extinction of some.
    What use has a pig if it isn't for putting between 2 slices of bread with tomato sauce & cheese......mmmmmm bacon

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Okay folks. I'm calling it now and will accept the ban.

Synthol is beyond being a troll. Synthol is fooking nuts.

3 stages of acceptance

1. Ridicule
    2. Violent opposition
    3. Acceptance

Advertisement