Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthlings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Synthol wrote: »
    Watch the documentary I posted in my first post.

Don't really want to watch a 90 minute documentary to get the answer to one question. Just curious about this one aspect of being a vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Don't really want to watch a 90 minute documentary to get the answer to one question. Just curious about this one aspect of being a vegan.

Its a troll your dealing with,thread should be sent to conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭CobraClan

If God didn't want us to eat meat then why did he make animals out of food?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

gitzy16v wrote: »
    From what?
    My moderate intake of red meat.

Enjoy malnourishment.

If being delusional makes you happy then good for you. Do you have any proof to show that vegans are malnourished? I have proof that meat eaters have a much higher change of getting heart disease. If you can show me reliable studies that veganism means malnourishment then I will withdraw my statements.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Its a troll your dealing with,thread should be sent to conspiracy theories.

I am a troll for showing you the facts and studies. What did you provide as an argument against? Nothing because there isn't a single study showing that eating meat is healthier than eating vegan foods, what you think is irrelevant.
    My faith in humanity has reached a new low.

• Advertisement

Stopping the suffering and death of animals. Animals in the dairy industry are abused daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I am a troll for showing you the facts and studies. What did you provide as an argument against? Nothing because there isn't a single study showing that eating meat is healthier than eating vegan foods, what you think is irrelevant.
    My faith in humanity has reached a new low.

Yes your a troll..mmm tasty tasty animals....you'll die quicker taunting camera vans or giving punishment overtakes on your turbo busa than munching on a sausage,burger or chicken fillet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

-=al=- wrote: »
    Instead of poking the fire in the meat eater vs vegan never ending debate, maybe if everybody could just cut down a little on the old animal products?

Plenty of nice meat alternatives available these days and sometimes they're even nicer tbh.

Like Linda McCartneys vile sasuages, no thanks.

Stopping the suffering and death of animals. Animals in the dairy industry are abused daily.

So you start a thread with a mysterious heading so you can do some vegan preaching? When was the last time you heard a meat eater trying to convince a vegan to eat meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I read a story the other day, don't know if it's true or not - but apparently it turns out that vegans die too:eek:

I'm all for a long life and all that, but i'll take 70 years of sausage sambos and kfc over 90 years of lentils and wheatgerm.
    We all have to die - so I reckon we might as well live a bit first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If people stopped eating meat then millions of animals will never get to exist. :D

Also i have yet to meet a vegan who is 100% healthy. They tend to be under weight and lacking the correct intake of proteins. Its much harder to maintain the correct balance as a vegan so probably has just as many downsides as eating meat.

There are also plenty of vegetarian cultures out there and i dont see them living until they are 150 so does it really make a difference if some fat bastard dies of a heart attack if the rest of us just moderate our food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Those Shaolin Monks are vegetarian, they look pretty healthy without eating meat.
    Although according to some here they should be barely able to drag themselves across the floor :Dwww.youtube.com/watch?v=G3hdxdjI_80

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Imagine if the whole world was vegan? We'd need more areas cleared out for crop and vegetable farming than we do now.

What do you think of that my fellow vegans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Vegan advocating we stop raising animals for slaughter to prevent animal suffering and death....an oxymoron?

And if you dont get what I mean....
    if everyone did go vegan tomorrow, what do we do with all the animals we have now for slaughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

If people stopped eating meat then millions of animals will never get to exist. :D

Also i have yet to meet a vegan who is 100% healthy. They tend to be under weight and lacking the correct intake of proteins. Its much harder to maintain the correct balance as a vegan so probably has just as many downsides as eating meat.

There are also plenty of vegetarian cultures out there and i dont see them living until they are 150 so does it really make a difference if some fat bastard dies of a heart attack if the rest of us just moderate our food.

Plenty of very unhealthy meat eaters out there as well. The biggest fallacy perpetuated by the meat and dairy industries is that their products provide a balanced intake of proteins, calcium, vitamins etc. as they know that by stating this most of their customers won't bother to go and check any facts for themselves.

There's plenty of vegan Triathletes, MMA fighters, Ultrarunners, Rugby players etc out there competing at the top of their game, fuelled by nothing but plants, so you might need to curb the generalisations and get informed.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Vegan advocating we stop raising animals for slaughter to prevent animal suffering and death....an oxymoron?

And if you dont get what I mean....
    if everyone did go vegan tomorrow, what do we do with all the animals we have now for slaughter?

Let them roam wild and die of old age spreading diseases that were rampant years ago that modern farming now keeps under control.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Let them roam wild and die of old age spreading diseases that were rampant years ago that modern farming now keeps under control.

"die of old age spreading diseases" :confused:

mad muffin wrote: »
    Imagine if the whole world was vegan? We'd need more areas cleared out for crop and vegetable farming than we do now.

What do you think of that my fellow vegans?

I thought we would need less...the Amazon is being cleared for cattle ranching,not Carrot growing ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Genuine question here: How come vegans can't have dairy products such as cheese or milk? I can understand not wanting to kill an animal but I don't believe a cow is suffering if a person was to milk it because a calf would be sucking her tits anyway to get milk so what difference does it make if a person squeezes the cows tits to get the milk. How do we know the cow is suffering during this process?

It's not immediately obvious but when talking about things like dairy and eggs there are a load of issues. When a cow stops producing enough milk they are killed at a fraction of their lifespan. They re forced to go through pregnancies up until then, as with people you need to get pregnant to start producing milk. Their kids are taken off them which is obviously distressing and either go through the same fate or if male will be killed or exported to be killed as veal at a young age.

For eggs, I used to not have a problem with these but then I found out every single male baby chick is killed as obviously they don't need them for anything, millions of them just thrown into grinders alive.

There are huge environmental issues too.

This video is a good one on what happens in Ireland, not 100% accurate (some of the things seen in it are what happens to animals we export) but pretty good:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Are you trying to confuse me with words? It doesn't matter you won't win anything, the facts speak for themselves. Believe that meat is healthy and die from heart disease.
    You're the one that brought sentience into the discussion and are now refusing to discuss it:rolleyes:

This is a discussion site, not an homage to Youtube site.

You started a thread to convert the yokels to your belief system and are having difficulty understanding why people have alternative viewpoints to yourself. Coming from the echochamber world of Youtube where everybody gobbles down the tasty, non threatening, toast-cut-into-little-soldiers, glossy videos, it must be dizzying to see others view your viewpoint with some derision so welcome to the real world where people use words to present an alternative scenario to your idealised world view.

Call back again when you have learned to actually discuss a subject rather than present endless Youtube videos with no critical viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

archer22 wrote: »
    I thought we would need less...the Amazon is being cleared for cattle ranching,not Carrot growing ;)
    That's because the better land is being used for tillage farming, generally soyabean production while the less productive land is used for cattle farming.

So in effect, it's the demand for soya that is driving deforestation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's because the better land is being used for tillage farming, generally soyabean production while the less productive land is used for cattle farming.

So in effect, it's the demand for soya that is driving deforestation.

90% of soy is fed to animals, and yes that is what is causing problems.

You're the one that brought sentience into the discussion and are now refusing to discuss it:rolleyes:

This is a discussion site, not an homage to Youtube site.

You started a thread to convert the yokels to your belief system and are having difficulty understanding why people have alternative viewpoints to yourself. Coming from the echochamber world of Youtube where everybody gobbles down the tasty, non threatening, toast-cut-into-little-soldiers, glossy videos, it must be dizzying to see others view your viewpoint with some derision so welcome to the real world where people use words to present an alternative scenario to your idealised world view.

Call back again when you have learned to actually discuss a subject rather than present endless Youtube videos with no critical viewpoint.

You know the saying: ''you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink it''
    I have presented you all the facts and studies and you are arguing with me, please provide a counter argument as to why eating meat is better than eating a vegan diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I am just trying to spread the message, animals suffer every single day to support the massive meat industry.

Millions of humans suffer every single day too, when we solve the problem of human suffering then we can concentrate on the animals.

Now go and make me a bacon sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's always amusing that vegans choose a lifestyle, and then lots of them proceed to inflict their views on non vegans.

It's like they are on some sort of religious drive to convert everyone they meet.

Whatever happened to keeping your views to yourself and let the rest of us eat what we want.

Farming of animals is a well established practice and much of our economies are built around it to the extent that it's never going away.

So, if you want to go off on a vegan solo run then that's fine, but the rest of us aren't a bit interested in what your doing or what your opinions are on what we are doing.

I don't know many vegans, 8-10 maybe and all but one are insufferable bores going on and on about their own personal beliefs that everyone should live exactly as they do.

But is it also not true that Animal farming is one of the leading causes of global warming.
    If there was a change to crop production there should be an opposite effect given that crops would be plants soaking up CO2 and giving off oxygen.Basically the same effects as having more Trees.

_Brian wrote: »
    It's always amusing that vegans choose a lifestyle, and then lots of them proceed to inflict their views on non vegans.

It's like they are on some sort of religious drive to convert everyone they meet.

Whatever happened to keeping your views to yourself and let the rest of us eat what we want.

Farming of animals is a well established practice and much of our economies are built around it to the extent that it's never going away.

So, if you want to go off on a vegan solo run then that's fine, but the rest of us aren't a bit interested in what your doing or what your opinions are on what we are doing.

I don't know many vegans, 8-10 maybe and all but one are insufferable bores going on and on about their own personal beliefs that everyone should live exactly as they do.
    Yeah but this is a discussion forum...nobody has to take part in it or read it.
    You are free to ignore it and move along if you don't want to take part in it.

_Brian wrote: »

Maybe vegans wouldn't express their opinions if your actions didn't affect the lives of millions of innocent animals, ever thought about that huh? No? Ok so I will explain.
    Vegans want everyone to become vegan because innocent animals are slaughtered every day and by buying meat you directly support it, better now? If your actions didn't affect anyone else then nobody would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Being vegan doesn't help you live longer, it just feels longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Maybe vegans wouldn't express their opinions if your actions didn't affect the lives of millions of innocent animals, ever thought about that huh? No? Ok so I will explain.
    Vegans want everyone to become vegan because innocent animals are slaughtered every day and by buying meat you directly support it, better now? If your actions didn't affect anyone else then nobody would care.

I think the harsh truth is that most people don't care about "innocent animals" people eat meat and don't care about where it came from or how it got to their plate because they see animals as lesser beings than us. They see them as food and nothing more so they don't care about them.

Advertisement