Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat kids

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

People buying a treat, as a treat, would be penalised because fat lazy lardarsed fcukers won't cook for themselves and their diet consists of treats. We've a limit on the amount of paracetamol someone can buy. Apply the rationale to the fizzy drinks and sh1te.

I would agree with most of what you say, albeit with more subtle & measured language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Well actually in most cases it is as easy as telling them to change their eating habits and move more.

While it's true they won't be able to take up jogging or start doing press ups any time soon they can walk and cycle.

It's undeniably easy to tell someone to eat less and move more. However if obesity was as easily tackled as simply telling someone this, we wouldn't have an obesity crisis on our hands.
    It's actually quite an ignorant statement to make. Would you tell some suffering from anorexia to eat more and move less? Unlikely.......because you will acknowledge that although anoerixa is diagnosed and apparent in its physical form it is unfortauntly routed in physiological distress and dismorphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Diseases come and go over time, due to many factors

Such as how many litres of full-fat Coke kids drink every single day.

blacklilly wrote: »
    It's undeniably easy to tell someone to eat less and move more. However if obesity was as easily tackled as simply telling someone this

Obesity is not tackled so easily because fat people do not listen to the undeniable advice they keep getting.

And if we have to decide who gets HSE funds, I vote for the desperate people whose kids have cancer, not the fatties who know damn well how to get healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Educating parents is where the main focus should be. Our schools should assist in informing children of healthy eating/exercising but ultimately it is the parents responsibility. It is shocking to know how many have not even a basic grasp of nutrition which results in unhealthy kids and the circle continues.

Perhaps some system could be put in place in schools (primary schools) whereby if a child is overweight/obese supports are put in place for the child/family to educate them, early intervention is so important.
    These two statements contradict each other, with the latter being the correct analysis. It's very difficult, almost impossible, to educate the parents. The primary focus should be on education in schools and making sure the kids become educated parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

joey100 wrote: »

As for taking obese children off families cos it's child abuse, it's very very hard to get children taken out of families situations where they are underfed, next to impossible to get them taken out for being overfed.

A student exchange program is needed

/MOL mode off

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

I used to be bit judgmental on this subject until I had a child. Nothing will ground you like experience. My son is very fussy. We were giving a sensory diet to start him on. Lists included jellies, popcorn, doughnuts etc. He has always been on the skinmy side
    Dietician told us to feed him doughnuts. I used to be worried sick. Now he eats wide range of stuff, everything on moderation and very active. He didn't taste sweets till maybe 3 and pretty sure why he doesn't have a sweet tooth now.

Anyway my point being you don't know what is going on in other kids lives. Steroids for asthma can make you pile on weight, inhalers etc. Medication for illness etc.

If in doubt keep your nose out

caniask86 wrote: »
    Anyway my point being you don't know what is going on in other kids lives. Steroids for asthma can make you pile on weight, inhalers etc. Medication for illness etc.

In the case of indicivual fat kids, yes.

This can't explain the obesity epidemic, though. They can't all be on steroids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Are there really that many fat kids out there?
    Anyway fat adults are a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭caniask86

In the case of indicivual fat kids, yes.

This can't explain the obesity epidemic, though. They can't all be on steroids.

That's true but it's impossible to tell who is and who is just fat. Its the parents responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Obesity is not tackled so easily because fat people do not listen to the undeniable advice they keep getting..

Anorexic people don't listen to the undeniable advice people throw out to them either but yet again you and the vast majority of people will acknowledge that anorexia is not as easily tackled as telling someone to eat more.

Why are you treating obesity differently?

There's a culture whereby obesity is laughed at and anorexia is treated sensitively.

I'm not saying that obesity should be normalised but the current general reaction to it is not helpful in any way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's different because it's clear and obvious that when entire families are stuffing themselves from morning till night that the only psychological disorder at play is congenital stupidity. And that feeds into the prejudice of fat people as lazy and stupid when often nothing could be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Have just been in Tesco and saw a child of about 4 or 5 pick up a small carton of chocolate milk and ask his father for it. Father's reply was "F**k off will you. I'm not buying you a f***ing carton of milk. Get a bottle of coke if you want a drink"
    With a parent like that, what hope has the child? I know chocolate milk isn't the healthiest drink, but certainly better than a bottle of coke.
    Before anyone asks, yes the child did have a weight problem and so did the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Have just been in Tesco and saw a child of about 4 or 5 pick up a small carton of chocolate milk and ask his father for it. Father's reply was "F**k off will you. I'm not buying you a f***ing carton of milk. Get a bottle of coke if you want a drink"
    With a parent like that, what hope has the child? I know chocolate milk isn't the healthiest drink, but certainly better than a bottle of coke.
    Before anyone asks, yes the child did have a weight problem and so did the father.

I'd also be slightly concerned by the amount of profanity the father is using while speaking to a 4 year old child....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

If it's the chocolate milk I'm thinking of, the Moojo one, then the coke is probably better for him.

Also, it's pretty silly to suggest this bloke is a terrible father based on a four-word sentence you heard him say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Hammer89 wrote: »
    If it's the chocolate milk I'm thinking of, the Moojo one, then the coke is probably better for him.

How would the coke be better than the mooju, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

How would the coke be better than the mooju, out of interest?

Because if it's the carton I'm thinking of then it's higher in calories than a bottle of coke and similarly high in sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Coke :

per 100ml

Carbohydrate 10.6g
    of which sugars 10.6g

http://www.avonmore.ie/products/mooju

per 100ml

Energy 321kJ/76kcal
    Fat 1.7g
    of which saturates 0.8g

Carbohydrate 10.5g
    of which sugars 10.3g

Protein 4.7g
    Salt 0.14g
    Calcium 121mg (15% RI)
    Vitamin B12 0.4µg (16% RI)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's undeniably easy to tell someone to eat less and move more. However if obesity was as easily tackled as simply telling someone this, we wouldn't have an obesity crisis on our hands.
    It's actually quite an ignorant statement to make. Would you tell some suffering from anorexia to eat more and move less? Unlikely.......because you will acknowledge that although anoerixa is diagnosed and apparent in its physical form it is unfortauntly routed in physiological distress and dismorphia.

If you have read all the thread you would see that I have a fair idea what I'm talking about because I was one of these fat kids, I knew I was fat and was called all the usual names going to school.

The reason I was fat was I was shovelling all the wrong foods down my gob and amazingly when I stopped and changed my diet and exercised more the weight came off.

I've remained pretty much the same weight since I was 17 so of course it's possible with a bit of willpower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Ann_Landers

It's different because it's clear and obvious that when entire families are stuffing themselves from morning till night that the only psychological disorder at play is congenital stupidity.

Well, no, children who are obese because of their parent's habits and how their parents feed them aren't stupid. That is the environment they are growing up in. They are a product of it. Most of us would be the same if we were in that environment as children. Very harsh to call a child stupid because they are obese due to being guided that way by their guardians.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Calorie info

Yeah, but the chocolate milk bottle might be way bigger. Like, obviously coke is complete crap but a can of it has 139 calories whereas the chocolate milk bottle might be nearer 300 cals. I'm just guessing here but just pointing out that it could, in terms of calories, be much worse than the coke. Both are rubbishy obviously. The 'per 100mls' info alone isn't that useful if we don't know what size the actual bottles are.

And you left out that coke per 100mls has 42kcals, whereas the milk has 76kcal per 100ml. So if the chocolate milk was in the same size can as the coke, it would contain 250kcals to coke's 139kcals. The reason I am pointing this out is that in this thread, people have scoffed at notion that people are uneducated about nutrition but you've just shown how anyone can get it wrong about calories and nutrition. If you told your child to out down the can of coke and swapped it out for chocolate milk, you'd actually more than likely have fed them even more calories and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Stupid question. Why do we actually care whether someone is fat or not? Or even large parts of the society.
    Is the same as smoking really. Let people be porkers if they wish to be or if they don't care.
    Why do we all have to adhere to this great new standard of model worker bee all increasing the national health average?

Stupid question. Why do we actually care whether someone is fat or not? Or even large parts of the society.
    Is the same as smoking really. Let people be porkers if they wish to be or if they don't care.
    Why do we all have to adhere to this great new standard of model worker bee all increasing the national health average?

People will probably cite the cost to the health care system (despite the notion that obese people probably won't last too long into old age when costs really begin to skyrocket) but really, I think it's down to it offending people's eyeballs. Fat is a vice that is very visible.

But I think when it comes to children, people feel sad that the child will be held back in many ways because of their weight. For example, an overweight child might not get a chance to realise that they are talented at sports because they would have been too overweight to really try them. And appearance is very important to teens and it's hard for any teen who is overweight. That's not to mention all the health problems that come with being overweight eg. type 2 diabetes, a nasty illness. So I think people are right to have a problem with childhood obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes to children it may seem unfair and that is something I can agree on, but while its unfair such is life. We don't all have the same start anyway. And if appearance or sport was really important to a kid it would find a way to shed the pounds.

And as for offending sights, yes there is that but at the same time it makes all the non porkers feel better about themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Yeah, but the chocolate milk bottle might be way bigger. Like, obviously coke is complete crap but a can of it has 139 calories whereas the chocolate milk bottle might be nearer 300 cals. I'm just guessing here but just pointing out that it could, in terms of calories, be much worse than the coke. Both are rubbishy obviously. The 'per 100mls' info alone isn't that useful if we don't know what size the actual bottles are.

And you left out that coke per 100mls has 42kcals, whereas the milk has 76kcal per 100ml. So if the chocolate milk was in the same size can as the coke, it would contain 250kcals to coke's 139kcals. The reason I am pointing this out is that in this thread, people have scoffed at notion that people are uneducated about nutrition but you've just shown how anyone can get it wrong about calories and nutrition. If you told your child to out down the can of coke and swapped it out for chocolate milk, you'd actually more than likely have fed them even more calories and sugar.

And more protein, calcium and fats. If it's within the calorific requirements I'd choose the choc milk. Would I give either to a child? Fcuk no

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I'd also be slightly concerned by the amount of profanity the father is using while speaking to a 4 year old child....:(

While perhaps not ideal, profanity on its own is not going to make the child fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Because people who actually take care of themselves end up subsidizing those adhering to those unhealthy lifestyles. I do agree that we don't/shouldn't start turning the country into a nanny state though.

Maybe a disgustingly graphic TV ad campaign might change attitudes? Like what was done for dangerous and/or drunk driving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Kids don't walk anywhere anymore. Mammy drives them to school in her 7 seater. Instead of going out and playing, they're sitting, playing x box or on their phones eating a tub of pringles. Instead of water or milk they're giving kids "juice"

Pringles and x box are good though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Autochange wrote: »
    Pringles and x box are good though

For certain folk yes

Advertisement