Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S import VRT?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

unkel wrote: »
    Yes it does.

Has almost zero value in Ireland for most owners, except of course when you take your car on long holidays on the continent regularly.

I pass birdhill most weekends during the Summer, balacolla isn't very far away and if there was one anywhere near cork i'd use it a lot.
    I assume it is what I think it is, free charging? No strings attached, excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,900 ✭✭✭✭unkel

AmberGold wrote: »
    £53k off a dealer

Nice. The more I think of it, the more I reckon it will be the car for me (pending other suitable cars that seem to be years away still). Will have to see how much of a Model S I can / should buy for what sort of money. Forcing myself to stay on the fence here :(
    Sabre Man wrote: »
    It will get more useful over time as more and more superchargers crop up.

Even if you filled up with 50kWh every week, that would be a saving of about €200 per year compared with charging at home. A bit meh. I save more on the M50 toll discount alone, and I don't even commute through it

If you didn't have and couldn't get home or work charging and there were superchargers everywhere and you do a lot of driving, it would start to save more serious money (like on the continent)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Nice. The more I think of it, the more I reckon it will be the car for me (pending other suitable cars that seem to be years away still). Will have to see how much of a Model S I can / should buy for what sort of money. Forcing myself to stay on the fence here :(

I havent been folllowing Model S prices in the UK but has it followed your predictions of a sharp fall since Model 3's started being delivered or are they still holding firm?

Model 3 has only just started being delivered in the UK. Have to give it until April / May (for new reg sales over there) to see what sort of impact it is having (if any)

All of this is not good when one is not a patient man to start with :p

There holding value well compared to other luxury sedans. 7 series of the same year and probably similar cost new don't hold half as well, I wonder if there's many to come off fleet and lease in the UK, that would have a major impact on value, it's what kills the prices of similar.
    They sold 4476 model s and x in 2017, can't find a solid figure for 2016 but roughly 3000, and 3372 in 2018.
    Those 16 and 17's should start to filter through first half of next year I'd guess, hopefully see 7 series prices then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Does the free supercharging for life stay with the car if you import? A lot of the UK ones seem to have it.

only if it's with the car and not with the driver.
    You can see in the owner's "My Tesla" account which one he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rfitzg

I had the exact same issue. I booked my VRT inspection within 12 hours of getting car off the ferry yet they still charged me €225 penalty for being "late". This is despite the fact I called Revenue twice chasing my valuation and was told they were very busy ATM but "don't worry you won't get penalised as its not your fault". No amount of arguing with them or NCT guys would remove the crazy penalty. I was told "its just automatic in the system so you have to pay it then appeal it and you *should* get it back if you can prove it wasn't your fault"!!!

I actually had to count to ten and take a few deep breaths when I heard this. Absolutely unbelievable carry on. They also reminded me it could take "up to 6 months to get it refunded". I'm hoping it won't take that long but the absurdity of punishing people and taking not a small amount of cash off them through no fault of theirs is utterlly mind blowing. No one I spoke with in Revenue or NCT seemed to be bothered in the slightest... :(

Thankfully its not something I plan to do very often :)

ELM327 wrote: »
    only if it's with the car and not with the driver.
    You can see in the owner's "My Tesla" account which one he has.

Do Tela give you free supercharging if you buy used direct from them, no mention on it, most of the private and garage sales seem to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Do Tela give you free supercharging if you buy used direct from them, no mention on it, most of the private and garage sales seem to have it.

I believe they now remove it from used sales, when bought direct from Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

They remove it as part of their CPO program.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    They remove it as part of their CPO program.

Warranty is saucy outside of Tesla and it looks like something that you need.

This is on a 161 from donedeal.

teslawarranty.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Does the free supercharging for life stay with the car if you import? A lot of the UK ones seem to have it.

no it doesn't if you buy from tesdla themselves they remove it (haven't checke d yet) - if you buy private or from regular dealer you keep it. its only cars that go back through tesla themselves
    markpb wrote: »
    How did this work with your insurer? Most only offer a 30 day policy on import plates.
    was grand, we have a work broker with allianze.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Well that's a joke.
    I had my appointment booked within 7 days and attended within 28 days as per legislation. Not my issue if they don't have the code.
    that's what I said, I booked my appointeent before I even bought the car! they said in the vrt office that its a revenue system and they don't have the access to remove it, you HAVE to pay it there and then and claim that back

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭wcooba

So interestingly all CPO MS disappeared from Tesla UK website. There is also rather depressing discussion on TMC - some people seem to pay 4k CPO deposit 60+ days ago and still haven't received their cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin2017

Hi all, just finished importing my model 3 from UK and thought I'd share the experience as I couldn't find any concrete answers online. Love the car it's my 2nd tesla sold my ms p90d in cork and bought a model 3 performance.

1. Bought the car online from a dealer in Strafford upon Avon.
    2. It was in August so couldn't travel to view the car but the uk dealer video called for a walk around.
    3. It's a model 3 performance black with chrome alloys, white seats and full self driving package 2019 April.
    4. Mileage at 6,000 Kim’s so avoided paying VAT
    5. Sold my own car and priced bank of Ireland to transfer funds to dealer, rate from them was horrendous, I used transfer mate, they were excellent, gbp rate on Google at the time was 1.10 and that's what I got, €250 charge to send the money. Car cost £55,000.
    6. I Paid NVD to collect the car on a car transporter they dealt with the car dealer on collection times etc, collected the car from their depot in Dublin.
    7. Insurance was only €40 difference from model s €540.
    8. Booked vrt with covid couldn't get a date for 3 weeks. Enough time to cover off mileage.
    9. Presented for vrt and couldn't find the chassis stamp, they wouldn't vrt, went to tesla and they located it behind the driver side pillar, you have to pull off the panel.vrt was done and they valued the car at 61k, revenue had to confirm the rate so had to wait 8 days, insurance company extended the 30 days on UK Reg.
    10. Paid the vrt it came back as €3065, I was happy enough with that.
    11. Put new plates on and that's it, no major hassle and would recommend, warrenty transfers with the car so you are covered from Tesla Ireland, car is excellent, range is so much better and being able to use ccs chargers males all the difference.
    12. All up car cost €60,500 to buy, €500 shipping and money transfer, €3,065 vrt. €64,000 all up same car new is €78,000 from Tesla.

Thanks for sharing and well wear. The Model 3 Performance is an outstanding car. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Dublin2017 wrote: »
    Hi all, just finished importing my model 3 from UK and thought I'd share the experience as I couldn't find any concrete answers online. Love the car it's my 2nd tesla sold my ms p90d in cork and bought a model 3 performance.

1. Bought the car online from a dealer in Strafford upon Avon.
    2. It was in August so couldn't travel to view the car but the uk dealer video called for a walk around.
    3. It's a model 3 performance black with chrome alloys, white seats and full self driving package 2019 April.
    4. Mileage at 6,000 Kim’s so avoided paying VAT
    5. Sold my own car and priced bank of Ireland to transfer funds to dealer, rate from them was horrendous, I used transfer mate, they were excellent, gbp rate on Google at the time was 1.10 and that's what I got, €250 charge to send the money. Car cost £55,000.
    6. I Paid NVD to collect the car on a car transporter they dealt with the car dealer on collection times etc, collected the car from their depot in Dublin.
    7. Insurance was only €40 difference from model s €540.
    8. Booked vrt with covid couldn't get a date for 3 weeks. Enough time to cover off mileage.
    9. Presented for vrt and couldn't find the chassis stamp, they wouldn't vrt, went to tesla and they located it behind the driver side pillar, you have to pull off the panel.vrt was done and they valued the car at 61k, revenue had to confirm the rate so had to wait 8 days, insurance company extended the 30 days on UK Reg.
    10. Paid the vrt it came back as €3065, I was happy enough with that.
    11. Put new plates on and that's it, no major hassle and would recommend, warrenty transfers with the car so you are covered from Tesla Ireland, car is excellent, range is so much better and being able to use ccs chargers males all the difference.
    12. All up car cost €60,500 to buy, €500 shipping and money transfer, €3,065 vrt. €64,000 all up same car new is €78,000 from Tesla.

Best of luck with the car, out of cuirousity, how long did it take nvd to organise collectimg the car and them you getting it from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublin2017

Thanks a mil, Sent the dealers number on a Wednesday and collected following Monday morning.

Advertisement