Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model S import VRT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ELM327 wrote: »
    You won't get a 2017 for £40k, I've been following the market for some time but will probably end up going for a new fully loaded M3P instead.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902225187816

there ya go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

copeyhagen wrote: »

I’m sure you are aware that’s a Cat S repaired car.
    It suffered structural damage at some point and was declared wrote off.

kceire wrote: »
    I’m sure you are aware that’s a Cat S repaired car.
    It suffered structural damage at some point and was declared wrote off.

but that means it was repaired by tesla no? as no one else can repair them? or am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

copeyhagen wrote: »
    but that means it was repaired by tesla no? as no one else can repair them? or am i wrong?
    no it could be repaired by any body shop. It should be repaired by tesla but it doesnt have to be.
    Imagine trying to get insurance here on a written off tesla?

You;d want to be a fool to buy that

Find me a real tesla (ie a non crashed one) thats 2017 for 40k and I'll show you a dodgy seller or a flying pig!!

ah, I was under the impression that only Tesla could repair it or it would lose its warrenty etc for other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

And it's only pocket change to go up to a new model 3 (that hasn't been written off).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ANewStart

Bought a 2016 Tesla Model S recently in UK. The other option was a new model 3. Here are my observations and learnings so far. Lots of mistakes to learn from
    • Bought in Cobham near London. Asking as £41k but got it for £37k. Near perfect condition. 48500km Black.
    • Negotiated price by phone, planned on traveling and buying on the day, but it became apparent that I had no good way of transferring the money within the day
    • Instead I went to visit it. Found various websites describing checks on electrics etc, but had no way of checking the battery motor etc. Looked good. Put down a £500 deposit. Flights on the day cost €30. Trains and Taxis cost £45 return to garage
    • Transferred bulk of the money via Currency fair. Rate I got was 0.5% worse than the top line exchange but I think that’s fair. Need to factor in when calculating price. Transfer went through in less than 24 hours
    • Traveled a few days later to pick up car. €20 flight, £30 train and taxi to garage
    • Car was in Valet mode when I got it, meaning I could only go at 70mph, couldn’t use cruise control, couldn’t use maps. The reason given that if the garage transferred it into their name then it would be a 2 owner car. Not sure how true this is but everything else was in order
    • Need Tesla to unlock valet mode
    • Drove from London to Holyhead. Stopped twice to charge at super chargers. Great experience I think the previous owner/garage will pay for the supercharge!
    • Ferry cost €120
    • Best option for VRT inspection in Dublin was 2.5 weeks delay
    • VRT people nice but very detailed orientated on documentation requirements. Need to provide 2-3 proof of address. Also need to provide PROOF of PPS number. Had to return several times to get sorted. Need to refer to revenue for VRT price
    • Wait 2 weeks update on VRT. Inconvenient to be on English plates for so long. Need to update parking app and toll tag to UK plates. Also can’t get easy insurance quote from most websites.
    • VRT €3.1k. Must pay before you can start a dispute. This is a 37% increase on what I actually paid for the car!!! Will update on dispute later
    • €30 for new plates
    • Strictly speaking Tesla won’t unlock the valet mode until you have transfered the ownership with them. How long this will take is unclear. Website info requests totally unresponsive. After threatening to blockade their gate in Sandyford the local guys agreed to unlock the Valet mode for €80.
    • transfer came in a few days later - 6 days after request
    • Came with type 2 connector while Model 3 would have come with CCS connector (this is the connector that is most common on fast chargers in Ireland). Still waiting on a service date but will need topay €550 to get this changed
    • Can’t look into getting an SEAI grant for a charger until I have Irish plates… so not sure yet. Will update. In the meantime I just put in a 32A plug, which cost €4.50 on amazon and €50 for required fuses and is great. Not sure if I will bother getting tesla charger plug
    • Car turns out to have rated range now which is 20km less than it’s original rated range, whihc seems reasonable

I do a lot of driving for work, regularly driving to Cork industrial zones and back in a day. I start in D6 in Dublin. I generally drive at 125kmph. To do it I need to stop for 25 min at Ballacolla on the way down and 10 min on the way back. Bring on a charger Cork and I’d say 1X25 min stop will do the job.
    Also… travelling to Galway is now a hassle. Need the charger in Athenry to open

A note I didn't realise for nubies. The less charge your car has the faster the super charger will charge it. So near empty it will charge at a 450kmph rate. At half full it will charge at 250kmph. So you want the super charger as far from your starting as possible

The rated range is now 444km. The typical range it claims is 370km. if you drive at 110kmph your might get close to that. At 125kmph you ger about 300km

Total Costs €
    • Car 41.5k
    • London Travel 0.14k
    • Ferry 0.12
    • VRT 3.1k (TBC)
    • Plates 0.03
    • Valet Unlock 0.08
    • CCS 0.55

Total 45.52

Total Costs days
    • 2 days to London
    • 0.25 days in Tesla
    • 0.25 days arguing on phone about unlocking
    • 0.25 VRT
    Total 2.75 days

Learnings
    • Should have got a mechanic to look at car initially rather than traveling myself. I mean what do I really know about cars? There are professional companies who do this sort of thing. Also my day is more valuable than this
    • Should have bought closer to Holyhead (If I was going to drive home)
    • Should have paid for someone to bring it home. My day is more valuable than this
    • Should have factored in the fact that a normal person can’t buy sterling at the headline rate your see on the news. Also it is hard to transfer sterling and have it received on the day
    • I bought from a small garage and they didn’t have experience of foreign buyers. That meant they weren’t happy to take a bank draft. Perhaps I should have bought from a garage with more experience of foreigners.
    • In practice the extra costs have been far more and the number of days required have been more than I like, and dealing with VRT/Revenue is a massive irritation to someone like me
    That said I’m very happy with the car. It is great. And if revenue are correct… I got a great deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

There is nothing stopping you applying for the SEAI grant with an English reg. They will approve but will not pay until the plates are changed and you send them the documents & photo of the car charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

What type of battery size of model s?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Lovely breakdown there. This will surely help other travelling across the water. Fair play to you. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Great report, thanks for that. Any tips for haggling 4000 sterling of the list price!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Very strange to sell/deliver a car with valet mode on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ANewStart wrote: »
    Learnings
    • Should have got a mechanic to look at car initially rather than traveling myself. I mean what do I really know about cars? There are professional companies who do this sort of thing. Also my day is more valuable than this
    • Should have bought closer to Holyhead (If I was going to drive home)
    • Should have paid for someone to bring it home. My day is more valuable than this
    • Should have factored in the fact that a normal person can’t buy sterling at the headline rate your see on the news. Also it is hard to transfer sterling and have it received on the day
    • I bought from a small garage and they didn’t have experience of foreign buyers. That meant they weren’t happy to take a bank draft. Perhaps I should have bought from a garage with more experience of foreigners.
    • In practice the extra costs have been far more and the number of days required have been more than I like, and dealing with VRT/Revenue is a massive irritation to someone like me

Not sure if there are many companies that will inspect or give battery report on an EV, was no one doing it when I brought in my Leaf.
    Wouldn't worry about being closer to Holyhead, it's only a few hours and time to get used to the car, certainly would not be a deal factor for me.
    Last time I checked, London to Dublin would be about €400 but that depends on London location/congestion area so upside is you saved enough to almost pay for your CCS switch.
    Great review, nice to see the learnings piece.
    Enjoy your car mate, pics?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Great report, thanks for that. Any tips for haggling 4000 sterling of the list price!!?

Non Tesla dealer.
    Sound alike a small independent garage.
    I’d say they wanted rid of it to be honest.

slave1 wrote: »
    Not sure if there are many companies that will inspect or give battery report on an EV, was no one doing it when I brought in my Leaf.
    Wouldn't worry about being closer to Holyhead, it's only a few hours and time to get used to the car, certainly would not be a deal factor for me.
    Last time I checked, London to Dublin would be about €400 but that depends on London location/congestion area so upside is you saved enough to almost pay for your CCS switch.
    Great review, nice to see the learnings piece.
    Enjoy your car mate, pics?

+1
    I posted a reply to this post in the other thread. I got a car delivered from London in January. €400 exactly.

BigAl81 wrote: »

nope. did nothing special. I'm sure you could do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

What warranty is on that car?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear!
    ANewStart wrote: »
    I do a lot of driving for work, regularly driving to Cork industrial zones and back in a day. I start in D6 in Dublin. I generally drive at 125kmph. To do it I need to stop for 25 min at Ballacolla on the way down and 10 min on the way back.

That's a bit of a pain. But I can see why this is the case. Ballacolla is only about 100km from Dublin. So you will have used only about a quarter of your capacity. But you won't make it to Cork and then back to Ballacolla again, so you will have to charge until nearly full (which is very slow in most EVs). And then on the way home you will have to do a quick top up to actually make it home

Ballcolla is about the worst possible location for someone with a Tesla doing a Dublin to Cork return trip

Once you have the CCS conversion you can drive to Cork with no charging stop and on the way back charge up at Ionity Cashel for not much more than 10 minutes. That's all :cool:

markpb wrote: »
    What warranty is on that car?

1 year from the garage, what ever was left with Tesla (til may 2020 on car and may 2024 on battery I think)

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear!

That's a bit of a pain. But I can see why this is the case. Ballacolla is only about 100km from Dublin. So you will have used only about a quarter of your capacity. But you won't make it to Cork and then back to Ballacolla again, so you will have to charge until nearly full (which is very slow in most EVs). And then on the way home you will have to do a quick top up to actually make it home

Ballcolla is about the worst possible location for someone with a Tesla doing a Dublin to Cork return trip

Once you have the CCS conversion you can drive to Cork with no charging stop and on the way back charge up at Ionity Cashel for not much more than 10 minutes. That's all :cool:

Good idea, thanks

• Advertisement

I would not have bought with valet mode on.
    I hope you called Tesla to confirm the car wasn't stolen?

I would not have bought with valet mode on.
    I hope you called Tesla to confirm the car wasn't stolen?

yes, all is well with it. just inconience for the first few days of ownership

Great!
    I'm collecting mine from Tesla tomorrow!
    There seems to be a lot of people in the past 3 months on here buying used model S from the UK.. I'm happy I'm still going to be the first Tesla at the work charger!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rfitzg

Great post thanks for sharing. I just brought a beautiful CPO red Model S 100D home from Tesla Manchester and had a great experience. I'm loving the car but just waiting for Revenue to send me my VRT bill. I'll post full details of the purchase on here as soon as the VRT is sorted. I've been reading helpful posts about importing a Tesla for nearly 3 years now so hopefully more of these will help others to get their dream car!

Great!
    I'm collecting mine from Tesla tomorrow!
    There seems to be a lot of people in the past 3 months on here buying used model S from the UK.. I'm happy I'm still going to be the first Tesla at the work charger!

Congrats! If its not too late I'd recommend ticking the box on the Irish Ferries booking (assuming you're taking her home on the Ulysses) for the FREE EV charging on-board. I did and they waved me up to the top of the queue and got special parking as well as one of first to off-board in Dublin. Just make sure you de-activate the alarm as the ship motion always sets off the Tesla alarm. You can't go to the car deck after the ship leaves port.

rfitzg wrote: »
    Great post thanks for sharing. I just brought a beautiful CPO red Model S 100D home from Tesla Manchester and had a great experience. I'm loving the car but just waiting for Revenue to send me my VRT bill. I'll post full details of the purchase on here as soon as the VRT is sorted. I've been reading helpful posts about importing a Tesla for nearly 3 years now so hopefully more of these will help others to get their dream car!
    Same place I'm going tomorrow!
    rfitzg wrote: »
    Congrats! If its not too late I'd recommend ticking the box on the Irish Ferries booking (assuming you're taking her home on the Ulysses) for the FREE EV charging on-board. I did and they waved me up to the top of the queue and got special parking as well as one of first to off-board in Dublin. Just make sure you de-activate the alarm as the ship motion always sets off the Tesla alarm. You can't go to the car deck after the ship leaves port.

Yes I've done that, I thought it was a type 1 tethered charger so not useful for the Tesla?
    Worthwhile even for the free priority offboarding I guess :P

I'm booked on the 855pm back so it will be a late one.

Same place I'm going tomorrow!

Yes I've done that, I thought it was a type 1 tethered charger so not useful for the Tesla?
    Worthwhile even for the free priority offboarding I guess :P

I'm booked on the 855pm back so it will be a late one.

Cool. Its a nice trip (in good weather! :)) so enjoy. The charger I got (on deck number 7 if I recall) was Type 2 you just have to use your own charging cable. Worked great.

So apparently my insurance company won't cover me to drive a UK reg car in the UK, (Patronas through Brittons insurance)
    Has anyone else seen this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What? I've never had a problem with that, my insurers do insist I get the car on Irish plates within 30 days of the insurance starting (when I pick up the car in the UK on UK plates to drive it home) and they need to be update with the Irish reg as soon as I put up the Irish plates, which is reasonable.

I take it you have flight / ferry booked at this stage? I'd ring your broker again, there must be a solution here.

• Advertisement

Yes they are going to call me back. Have flights, ferry etc all booked
    Never heard of it before either, I've had cars on US plates insured here once they are vrtd within the 30 days there's never an issue.

Going to see what happens when they call me back - may have to cancel the policy and take out a new one.

Advertisement