Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model S import VRT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

ELM327 wrote: »
    There was a time when the SIMI dealers were purposely listing older tesla models at 80-100k to inflate the VRT.

Are you serious? That’s outrageous if true...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

spyderski wrote: »
    Are you serious? That’s outrageous if true...

Yes, Frank Keane and another of the big groups were at it. Listing two and three year old Model S with high mileage for more than a new one to juke the OMSP.

Since Tesla came to Sandyford they've been talking to Revenue to undo the damage.
    It's an unusual situation, usually there's a SIMI member associated with the manufacturer or with some kind of incentive to control the OMSP.
    In this case all SIMI members had the opposite incentive and Tesla didn't have a local presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

macnab wrote: »
    Funny this came up today, I picked up a Tesla Model S 85 earlier. Its 142 Reg. The VRT bill was €4399 when it was imported some time this year.

Well Done ! - This is great news :)

Can you let us know from time to time how things go

For myself two things that come to mind straight off are

- How do insurance companies view this car

- What do you have to do to get access to Teslas chargers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well Done ! - This is great news :)

Can you let us know from time to time how things go

For myself two things that come to mind straight off are

- What do you have to do to get access to Teslas chargers
    Plug in :p! The car will be identified by Tesla automatically.

I'm interested also in the insurance question

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Just home from a day out in the Tesla with my two kids. This car is "all day long" comfortable.
    My first comment has to be in relation to chargers, I didnt realise how important it was to get a car with dual chargers. It will charge at a rate of up to 103km/h at a standard Type 2 charger (22kw post) I arrieved in Tesco Maynooth with 70km range remaining. 93 minutes later I had 236km range - now I see what all the Zoe owners were crowing about.
    I am 49 with a clean driving history and my insurance cost €588 for a year. The guy I bought the Tesla off was paying over €1100, aged about late 30s id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread. Just FYI you can get a Tesla VRT estimate here now..... https://www.vrt.ie/home/vrt-motor-tax-calculator/independent-vrt-calculator/

Cheeky backstards charging a fiver for info that really Revenue ought to be providing for free.

Note the word "estimate" too; quote is not binding, so little more than a useful indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

macnab wrote: »
    Just home from a day out in the Tesla with my two kids. This car is "all day long" comfortable.
    My first comment has to be in relation to chargers, I didnt realise how important it was to get a car with dual chargers. It will charge at a rate of up to 103km/h at a standard Type 2 charger (22kw post) I arrieved in Tesco Maynooth with 70km range remaining. 93 minutes later I had 236km range - now I see what all the Zoe owners were crowing about.
    I am 49 with a clean driving history and my insurance cost €588 for a year. The guy I bought the Tesla off was paying over €1100, aged about late 30s id say.

@macnab - thanks for the info on VRT and insurance and congrats on the car! Could I ask what insurance company you're with? I haven't found one yet that will give me a quote. Looking at importing a UK CPO early in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Hey guys, been wondering how is it to own Tesla in Ireland in 2017/18, do we have free super-charges around the town, how will on-air-update work in Ireland if car is imported from UK, I suppose it uses 3G connection, does it have to be in UK to update?. Also how challenging is to repair the car here, are there any garages which take it?

Its great peach of technology and I foresee not problems with service and support if you buy it here new, but what if one to import it from UK, do you have to go to UK every time it needs something done?. Also always been curious if any electric car run out of charge in the middle of the road, is there a AA type to recovery with supercharger, or it has to be towed all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Hey guys, been wondering how is it to own Tesla in Ireland in 2017/18

Awesome
    do we have free super-charges around the town

There is one in Ballycoda. A few more in the works.
    how will on-air-update work in Ireland if car is imported from UK, I suppose it uses 3G connection, does it have to be in UK to update?.

No, it will work fine.
    Also how challenging is to repair the car here, are there any garages which take it?

Its great peach of technology and I foresee not problems with service and support if you buy it here new, but what if one to import it from UK, do you have to go to UK every time it needs something done?. Also always been curious if any electric car run out of charge in the middle of the road, is there a AA type to recovery with supercharger, or it has to be towed all the time?

The issues with warranty come from the fact that each country has a different importer of the cars who pays for the warranty work. So if you want to have to repair your UK car in Ireland, it is UK importer paying for that.

None of that nonsense with Tesla. It is one global company, they don't discriminate based on origin of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

There are 8 stall superchargers in Ballacolla and Birdhill. Another two are under construction along the M1 near Castlebellingham (northbound and southbound).

You can find more information here: https://supercharge.info/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Can you use autopilot in here, and if you can what's the crack with using mobile phone? :)

Can you use autopilot in here, and if you can what's the crack with using mobile phone? :)

Autosteer works great. It keeps a certain distance from the car in front (you can choose from 7 set distances) and keeps the car pretty much in the middle of the lane. Even if it doesn't detect one edge it works. It can also change the speed automatically depending on the speed limit.

You can use an app to see the location of your car, see your range and odometer, get charging notices, see and set the temperature in the car, flash the lights, honk the horn, lock and unlock your car and even start and summon it. The app will also notify you if there are any updates to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

How are you managing with the width of the car?
    I find the BMW F10 quite unwieldy on narrow Irish roads and the S is 10cm wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I can chime in on that one, I know for a fact (as I asked them to quote me) that Liberty Insurance utterly refuse to quote the Tesla (specifically) or any Electric Car (in general).
    Dear Mr X,

Thank you for your email dated 4th October 2017

Unfortunately we do not provide insurance for electric cars.

If there are any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards
    Sonia Gilroy
    Administration Department
    Private Lines
    Liberty Insurance

I was pretty gobsmacked, Insurance is a legal requirement, Liberty are regulated as a Insurance provider but can elect not to provide any for an entire class of vehicle while the government is actively trying to promote said (electric) vehicles. :eek:

Zurich give a 10% discount for EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I can chime in on that one, I know for a fact (as I asked them to quote me) that Liberty Insurance utterly refuse to quote the Tesla (specifically) or any Electric Car (in general).

I was pretty gobsmacked, Insurance is a legal requirement, Liberty are regulated as a Insurance provider but can elect not to provide any for an entire class of vehicle while the government is actively trying to promote said (electric) vehicles. :eek:

Well that's a load of BS from them. I was insured for 18 months in an i3 with them before changing this year.

That's even more stupid when you consider their parent company, Liberty Mutual, did an exclusive deal with Tesla in the US to provide reduced insurance premiums for Teslas through the Insure My Tesla scheme.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-liberty-mutual-create-customize-insurance-package-2017-10

air wrote: »
    How are you managing with the width of the car?
    I find the BMW F10 quite unwieldy on narrow Irish roads and the S is 10cm wider.

It's a little but wider than I would have liked (about 20 cm wider than my previous car) , so there are some roads I tend to avoid now but I can get around them without going too far out of my way.

It's fine on most roads where I ususually drive.

I think if you're used to driving a wide car you'll be fine. Just take it a bit easy where you know the roads are narrow and you have traffic coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Width is an issue on nice to drive roads like in the Wicklow mountains. I had a '86 Porsche 928 (a supercar in its day) and it was too wide at 1.89m to drive there at speed with confidence (when people come towards you from the opposite direction). Tesla Model S is 1.96m wide, so even wider than that...
    Matt Simis wrote: »

I'd be very careful before you sign up with the likes of liberty or any of these discount insurance companies. Liberty kills your no claims bonus if your car gets stolen through no fault of your own. A decent insurance company wouldn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

unkel wrote: »
    I'd be very careful before you sign up with the likes of liberty or any of these discount insurance companies. Liberty kills your no claims bonus if your car gets stolen through no fault of your own. A decent insurance company wouldn't do that.

Discount insurance? ;). Liberty charge me €2450 a year. I'm only with them as no one else will accept my NZ driving experience as I was out if the country for nearly 4yrs. Even the AA, who were also my insurer in NZ..

• Advertisement

The rules are actually very simple: you made a claim, your discount gets reduced. How much - depends how much discount protection you have. Fault has nothing to do here.

grogi wrote: »
    The rules are actually very simple: you made a claim, your discount gets reduced. How much - depends how much discount protection you have. Fault has nothing to do here.

Nope. With my own insurer I can claim for theft, and it will NOT affect my no claims bonus. And it will NOT affect my no claims bonus protection either. In fact if my 8 month old car was stolen today, they would pay for a brand new one.

Nope. With my own insurer I can claim for theft, and it will NOT affect my no claims bonus. And it will NOT affect my no claims bonus protection either. In fact if my 8 month old car was stolen today, they would pay for a brand new one.

In other words - you can crash it in a field, leave it there and then declare stolen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

grogi wrote: »

Your percentage discount will be maintained but your base premium will go up so you'll still pay more for the same level of cover after an accident.

I'm not talking accident, I'm talking theft. And my NCB is not affected by a claim for theft (but if you are insured by Liberty, you will lose your NCB). But apologies for going off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Who are you insured with Unkel and did you have to do anything special to get that no claims theft provision in your policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think that's the default position.
    I've never had a policy that counts a theft claim as an "at fault" claim.

*cough* Is this the Model S VRT thread or the insurance/NCB protection thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys,
    So I have been looking at importing a 2015 model s and called customs/excise & vrt yesterday as well as nct, and local tax office. Nobody could answer my question as to how much vrt I would pay. The customs guy called me back at the end of the day to say he had looked in to it and hasn't got a clue as to how much as they have not had this situation before. He told me to present the car and then get a valuation....totally unacceptable. What sort of goons are we dealing with.
    I didn't see the valuable info in this thread until this morning.
    Is there a website somewhere with omsp valuations?

Regards,

• Advertisement

Have an appointment to register my imported 2014 Model S on 13th Jan. Am expecting to have to pay €5k but hoping for less. Will let you know how it goes!

Advertisement