Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the computer be saved?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I didnt's see USB when I was in Bios section.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Older PC's may struggle with recordrable media, it often depends on whether the cd/dvd drive is itself capable of writing. It also depends on the quality of the media used.

degsie wrote: »
    Older PC's may struggle with recordrable media, it often depends on whether the cd/dvd drive is itself capable of writing. It also depends on the quality of the media used.

I burned CD's from my computer before so it can burn dics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I suggest you have patience and wait for help.

It should be a simple matter to recover your data - pics etc - by using a Live Linux CD/DVD/USB and store them on the external drive you mentioned.

Once that is done the operating system can be attended to without fear of losing anything. It might even be best to do a reinstall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

pjohnson, can you get your hands on an original windows XP disk? If so thats the route I would go. If you werent so far from me I would glady pop in and sort it out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, you should consider a backup strategy for irreplaceable files. You say you have an external drive. An Xp-vintage PC has an old disk, they can fail and do.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    pjohnson, can you get your hands on an original windows XP disk? If so thats the route I would go. If you werent so far from me I would glady pop in and sort it out for you.
    No. Its apparently a Microsoft Works package I had. Apparently it was common for the OS to be pre-installed on machines. I may never actually have had the windows XP disk.

And of course these disks cant be bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

pjohnson wrote: »
    I didnt's see USB when I was in Bios section.
    When you boot into BIOS, can you move down to the menu item called "Integrated Peripherals".
    Inside that look for "OnChip PCI Device" or "USB 2.0 Support" and click [ENABLE].
    Then backout of that menu, and go back in to "Advanced BIOS Features" and Make "First Boot Device" whichever one you have just enabled above.
    Press F10 and save and exit.
    Reboot the PC with the USB that you created using Etcher or Rufus (Rufus is better for windows XP).

If you cannot boot from USB -
    Burn another CD, but this time use ImgBurn and change the burning speed down to 2.4x or 8x. (If 2.4x is not available).
    As low as possible, it may be your CD drive in the old PC not reading the discs burned in the newer PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

pjohnson wrote:

Try eBay.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No. Its apparently a Microsoft Works package I had. Apparently it was common for the OS to be pre-installed on machines. I may never actually have had the windows XP disk.

You can still use a standard disk as long as you are using the correct version... i.e. home or professional. I have a few originals lying around if you want me to post them on?

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »
    You can still use a standard disk as long as you are using the correct version... i.e. home or professional. I have a few originals lying around if you want me to post them on?

PM'd you. This would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bubbleboy22

You'd better get computer professional. If machine does not work any longer. I am sure you can try to restore the data from it, but if it switches on, then there is a hope to return it back to life.

You'd better get computer professional. If machine does not work any longer. I am sure you can try to restore the data from it, but if it switches on, then there is a hope to return it back to life.

Thats my hope. Thats why I'm so grateful for the help.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OP, you should consider a backup strategy for irreplaceable files. You say you have an external drive. An Xp-vintage PC has an old disk, they can fail and do.

I ha planned on it but didn't get a chance.

I'm now checking for repair shops.

What happened with Disk? Did you try USB?

Suckit wrote: »

I said that the disk didnt work after two attempts. I can try the usb again but I'm worried of further damage.

I just need help.

Suckit wrote: »

I said that the disk didnt work after two attempts. I can try the usb again but I'm worried of further damage.

I just need help.
    Sorry, i thought you were being sent a new disk.
    But did you try the Imgburn method? Burning a disk at a slower speed so that the older PC could read it?
    USB method will not do further damage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Has there been any progress on this?

I'm trying to get a legit Windows XP disk before progressing further.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it comes to it, you could just post me the hard disk, I can easily run a chkdsk on it from another machine, and send it back. Even recover stuff off it at the same time.

Spear wrote: »
    If it comes to it, you could just post me the hard disk, I can easily run a chkdsk on it from another machine, and send it back. Even recover stuff off it at the same time.

I assume the hard disk is something within the hard drive. I have no idea how to extraxt it from the hard drive if thats the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They're the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

It'll look something like this. It'll be secured by some sort of light frame and can normally be removed very simply. There will be a couple of cables plugged into it. They should just pull out.

installharddrive12.jpg?x92042

I've been reccomended a professional so am now trying to contact him, no luck yet today.

I'll keep this updated.

Advertisement