Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the computer be saved?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pjohnson wrote: »
    It probably was but its in its own proper packaging and case not just lying around.

They were never the stablest or most reliable form of storage unfortunately, and the passage of time was never kind to them either. Are more available to try another burn?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Try a blank that's further down inside the stack and not near the top, and thus less exposed to sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

xp_src_welcome.gif
    The icontric one says "Windows XP Professional Setup" mine just says "Windows Setup" could that be a problem? Why my buttons dont match?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Spear wrote: »
    They were never the stablest or most reliable form of storage unfortunately, and the passage of time was never kind to them either. Are more available to try another burn?

Very true

<R> it is

• Advertisement

Skyknight wrote: »
    <R> it is

R did nothing. The screens done nothing for at least 12mins.

Is there a command line/ DOS Prompt (c:\>)?

R did nothing. The screens done nothing for at least 12mins.

Time to assume the disc is dud and burn another copy.

Skyknight wrote: »
    Is there a command line/ DOS Prompt (c:\>)?

Its just blue with "Windows Setup" top left and
    "Setup is starting Windows" bottom left.

What do I do with the computer. Can I turn it off when its like this?

Should I buy new discs? Is the machine/photos still safe?

• Advertisement

Sorry about that ....It does sound Like it alright. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It's an iQon PC , 12 minutes isn't very long in iQon time :-)
    I have nothing to add to help but an iQon was the first PC we got in our house.
    Wasn't particularly quick if I remember .

What do I do with the computer. Can I turn it off when its like this?

Should I buy new discs? Is the machine/photos still safe?

You can leave it while the replacement is burning, but it's safe to just power it off or hit the reset button.

Yeah, pretty much. Wait until you have the new disk burned and retry it .

Rightso. To the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

It can take 30 mins or even up to an hour depending on how old your machine is. Excruciating I know but it could just be working very slowly. If its still not moving after that, try a new disk.

It can take 30 mins or even up to an hour depending on how old your machine is. Excruciating I know but it could just be working very slowly. If its still not moving after that, try a new disk.

Be worth leaving overnight? The machine itself is well over a decade old, possibly 15 years? XP was new and top of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Be worth leaving overnight? The machine itself is well over a decade old, possibly 15 years? XP was new and top of the range.

Nah an hour is long enough after that its possibly because of a corrupted or scratched CD.

Edit: to set your mind at ease, if you got this far its fixable.

Nah an hour is long enough after that its possibly because of a corrupted or scratched CD.

Edit: to set your mind at ease, if you got this far its fixable.

Going by my posts here its at around the 45 minute mark.

Right 11pm time for the new cd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 duibhneach

There is an option to just get your photos and so on off the old computer: Hirens' Boot CD

I've been using Hirens for years for just this kind of task. It is a swiss army knife type of CD. It has a thing called "Mini XP" on it that would allow you to copy pictures and other files off your old disk onto a USB stick. It doesn't fix your old PC, it just boots into a "portable" copy of XP that allows you to back stuff up.

/* I'm a new user, so I can't post links, you will have to add the "http" bit to the links below manually :-( */

Download the zip file from this page to your laptop. Green "Download" button on the left hand side of the following page:
    downloads.tomsguide.com/Hiren-s-Boot-CD,0301-51033.html

If you are worried about if it is not a dodgy download, you can read reviews of Hiren's Boot CD here: community.spiceworks.com/products/56768-hirens-bootcd

When you download it, unzip the file and go into the "Hirens" folder. Then put a blank CD into the laptop drive and double-click "BurnToCD".

When it is burned to CD, you should plonk it into the CD drive of the old PC and reboot like you did with the Windows one. You get a menu option like here: cdn-1.rmprepusb.com/_/rsrc/1352993082871/tutorials/hirens/hbcd15.2menu.jpg

Use the down key to select "Mini Windows XP". It will look a bit odd, but it should allow you to find your photos on the C Drive and save them to a USB stick.

Forgot to say, Hirens download is about the same size as Windows ISO: 650 Mb or so. And it is completely free.

At this stage I'm in such a desperate state I'd pay any amount to get someone out to bloody do it. I just want it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

At this stage I'm in such a desperate state I'd pay any amount to get someone out to bloody do it. I just want it back.

This is easily fixed and the files can recovered by anyone with a little tech know how. You need to relax, all is NOT lost.

The post above about Hirens Boot CD is a good suggestion. Do you have any friends or anything who would be able to help?

If you search for "How to create and run the Hiren's BootCD 15.2" on YouTube it will show you how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

duibhneach wrote: »
    There is an option to just get your photos and so on off the old computer: Hirens' Boot CD

This was suggested back in post #12, OP is not a techie so may be a bridge too far. Getting to bios was a struggle enough.

For the majority of us on this thread, this kind of thing would normally be a 5 minute annoyance to sort. There's no grounds for panic or desperation.

Is anywhere here local to Galway who could pop round?

degsie wrote: »
    This was suggested back in post #12, OP is not a techie so may be a bridge too far. Getting to bios was a struggle enough.

Ah, yeah. Didn't see it.

degsie wrote: »

It wouldnt work anyway. I get stuck on loading screen. I checked the video. I need an expert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It wouldnt work anyway. I get stuck on loading screen. I checked the video. I need an expert :/

You don't need an expert as such. You just need someone who knows a little bit more than you. I'm by no means any techie expert and I could do it. I'm in Dublin unfortunately.

The main thing is your photos are still there, they can be recovered.

Advertisement