Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the computer be saved?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

It's entirely possible you may have a hardware problem other than a corrupt hdd. You need to start thinking of removing the drive and using an adapter to connect to your laptop via usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I'm in Dublin too. I'd happily call over if I was in Galway and do it for you. Look power it down tonight and attack it again another day. This is a fixable issue and your data can be recovered so don't worry about it. Well sort this one way or another!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

degsie wrote: »
    It's entirely possible you may have a hardware problem other than a corrupt hdd. You need to start thinking of removing the drive and using an adapter to connect to your laptop via usb.

So the machine is doomed but the photos safe?

I dont know how to go dicking around with drives and taking bits out either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

pjohnson wrote: »

That is one possibility. The point where the XP load fails is where it loads the drivers and attempt to take control of the hardware for the OS, and thus a hardware fault could be causing it to hang. This scenario would mean the files would be safe at least.

Spear wrote: »
    That is one possibility. The point where the XP load fails is where it loads the drivers and attempt to take control of the hardware for the OS, and thus a hardware fault could be causing it to hang. This scenario would mean the files would be safe at least.

And those iQon recovery things are bad?

The photos get priority but be a shame fod the machine to just end up in the shed.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say doomed, its more like a bios setting needs to be changed or something minor, I don't think you have broken hardware if you can boot and get loading screens up. Your photos are safe. Hard drives don't delete data as such just overwrite pictures and documents with other data. If its not overwritten it can be recovered.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

And those iQon recovery things are bad?

The photos get priority but be a shame fod the machine to just end up in the shed.

It's still too early reach to any definitive conclusions in that regard.

Ok. Well I'm throughly beaten for tonight. Wont be able to sleep but, Just have to try when I get home tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ok. Well I'm throughly beaten for tonight. Wont be able to sleep but, Just have to try when I get home tomorrow.

Don't stress about it. I had a machine which was partially blown up by lightning and we got all the data off it no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Always best to approach the problem in a Clear(er), less stressed state of mind. ;)

• Advertisement

Forget about it for tonight. I've a few ideas what it could be like a controller option setting. I'll subscribe to this thread and get back to you. Plenty of tech savvy people on boards so well get to the bottom of it one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

OP - tell us where you are in Galway roughly. I'm not there myself at the moment. It's a big county - a bit more precision and there might be someone nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry, had to run out unavoidable.
    If you have a USB key OP you could download any distro, Hirens, Ubuntu many more.
    to save any heartache, Download Etcher or Rufus.
    Change the first boot priority in BIOS to  USB drive, and boot from that.
    Hopefully it will boot from USB, it may be called "OnChip PCI Device" or "USB 2.0 Support"
    You have to enable either of them first in "Integrated Peripherals" in BIOS, you will see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I would have suggested Hirens hours ago but last time I did I got a chewing from the mod on duty cos it was dodgy. Mind you that was years ago when XP was still going strong lol.

I'm going to be spending a few days in Galway but unfortunately it's in going to be 3 weeks till I'm there :( Would have been more than happy to sort it out.

There has to be some boardsies about that's in the area that can sort it. Come on - we all try and help each other in here.

Hirens was dodgy in the early years, and they cleaned it up. The only elements without permission now are the MS components and tools, and MS have stated that they don't object to their use.

It's a very powerful tool, but overkill for someone who's not that tech savvy. Many of the items in it could make things spiral into an unrecoverable state.

Pjohnson,

Im going home to galway for the weekend. If you are any where near Athenry I can meet you and have a look at it. I used to run a PC Repair business in that area half a million years ago. The fact the machine is getting to a driver load error on the screen tells me the system is definitely salvageable. At the very least, we can back up the photos and other files on the system assuming the hard drive wasn't damaged.

Send me a private message on here, and we can arrange some thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Just happened to see this thread and gave it a read since something similar happened to me a few years ago on an old XP machine and it worked out ok so hang on in there.

I think I ended up downloading windows xp onto a usb and repairing the machine from that. Looking back I'm not sure how I managed to do it or figure it out but it worked out ok in the end!

The machine I mentioned recently had issues starting up, it would turn on but the fan would just whir until I turned it off and no boot screen or anything. Just the light on and the fan on.

I did leave it for a few days unplugged and it managed to turn on again but not every time :|

Now I don't want to steal the thread but is there anything I can do to make sure it runs every time? It's running Windows XP and is the machine is 13 years old... you guys seem to know a thing or two about a thing or two so just thought I'd ask

Good look OP!

I'm trying again but just waiting on the blue screen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

If it were me, i wouldnt be trying to recover the computer. The 1st thing to do is secure the photos.

That involves getting the HDD out of the computer, plug it into an external caddy and copy them to another computer. Make 2 copies at least on different systems/media.

At that point, if you need to get your PC up and running, you can go through the steps to recover the operating system, but the more attempts you make, the more chance you do something wrong or the HDD finally fails.

That Hirens thing froze at the same point as the others. Maybe its the CD's I'm burning to. This is hopeless. I give up.

Theres no chance I can fix this with a screwdriver and pulling out random bits. I should never have bothered. Its gone beyond fixable levels.

• Advertisement

No - it's not beyond fixable. You just need to take up one of the many kind offers from here. I'd say there is a 90%+ chance of getting the photos at a minimum.

No - it's not beyond fixable. You just need to take up one of the many kind offers from here. I'd say there is a 90%+ chance of getting the photos at a minimum.

I've tried everything I can. I guess I can try with the screwdriver later and see if I can pull out the right bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Where in Galway are you?

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Where in Galway are you?

PM'd you

You've tried everything that you can do. Plenty of people here have offered to come and sort you out using their tools and expertise which are beyond yours!

I'm from North Galway myself but I won't be down there for a few weeks. I am happy to have a look at it then if you are still in trouble.

You've tried everything that you can do. Plenty of people here have offered to come and sort you out using their tools and expertise which are beyond yours!

I'm from North Galway myself but I won't be down there for a few weeks. I am happy to have a look at it then if you are still in trouble.

I'm pming those who ask the village I'm near I'm just not posting it in the public area. Its along the main Barna to Inverin road in West Galway.

That's perfect. I'm sure there are lots nearby that will help. I think the data is definitely salvageable based on what you said here.

Once the data is safe then you can try more things with the computer itself.

Good luck with it!

After thinking things through, I've now decided to wait until someone can provide me assistance, BUT I think I may have figured out a possible issue I could fix.

Last night it was mentioned that my blank disc may be faulty. After thinking I realised that while I may not have been using the blank discs as often I probably purchased them about 10 years ago. Is it likely that a ten year old blank disc simply wont be of use now and have become corrupted over that length of time?

Should I try buying a new disc to see if it will work or should I just wait for someone to assist me?

10 years is plenty enough time for a blank to degrade.

It's a lot quicker and more reliable to use a USB stick these days. Any disc ISO image can be applied to a USB stick just as equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Spear wrote: »
    10 years is plenty enough time for a blank to degrade.

It's a lot quicker and more reliable to use a USB stick these days. Any disc ISO image can be applied to a USB stick just as equally.

True, but the OP's machine may not support USB stick booting. I have a more recent system that will boot from USB HDD/DVD but doesn't like sticks.

Advertisement