Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the computer be saved?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That download will get you a .ISO file, which is an image of the disc. In Windows 10 you just need to right click the downloaded file, and choose "burn disc image".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Spear wrote: »
    That download will get you a .ISO file, which is an image of the disc. In Windows 10 you just need to right click the downloaded file, and choose "burn disc image".

I've already got the burner link downloaded. Downloading the 32bit XP one now. Quick Q. Any idea the total size of this file? Can't find a total amount/time left just current (616MB downloaded)

Whoops thats done. Burning now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Skyknight

Cool hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Hopefully you will not be connecting an XP machine to the internet if you manage to get it work.

degsie wrote: »
    Hopefully you will not be connecting an XP machine to the internet if you manage to get it work.

Thats what the laptop is for. Dont even know if I can connect that machine to wifi? I used dial-up when I last used the internet on it.

• Advertisement

How do you get it to boot from CD?

It just behaved as normal with no prompt?

pjohnson wrote: »
    How do you get it to boot from CD?

It just behaved as normal with no prompt?

Repeatedly hit F12 when booting up.

Repeatedly hit F12 when booting up.

Okey doke. Gimme few mins

I was hitting F8 for some reason. Heading back down now to try F12

Nothing from F12.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There may not be a suitable key, it may be old enough to require manual changes in the BIOS to accommodate this.

What's the exact model of it?

• Advertisement

There may not be a suitable key, it may be old enough to require manual changes in the BIOS to accommodate this.

What's the exact model of it?

I dont know what model or BIOS.

Nothijg has changed so at least I havent made it worse.

Still sticks at agpCPQ.sys.

This is the day from hell.

When it first powers up, is there any kind of text saying to just F1 or delete?

When it first powers up, is there any kind of text saying to just F1 or delete?

Something about F10 but it goes fast.

This is just causing more f*cking stress. No "professional" seems to believe in call outs either.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Something about F10 but it goes fast.

Hit F10 during boot-up and see what happens.

Is there a logo or label on the PC?

At this point there's no reason to believe anything is lost, just not conveniently accessible. Even if we can't get the boot up sorted, the disk can still be pulled out and the contents simply copied off it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

pjohnson wrote:
    So we had an idiot electrician over and he managed to turn off the mains and now my home computer wont start and gets stuck on the loading screen.

As already mentioned but worth repeating, any electrician worth their salt will kill the power and make their job safer. He didn't "manage" to turn off the mains, he correctly did so as per the training he would of gotten from any half decent sparks. It's not his fault your computer broke.

F12 should bring up the boot device menu > select the DVD menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Do this, it is easy, and will fix 99% issues of startup problems with XP.
    Electrician should have asked if there were any PC's switched on before he cut the power.

http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

I would not think you have lost anything. If you cannot boot it, you can buy a Hard Drive Adapter, i recommend this one - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/E-yield-USB-3-0-to-SATA-IDE-ATA-Data-Adapter-3-in-1-for/32801585606.html

F10 got me into System Recovery which seems promising. I'll see if I can screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Hirens boot CD/DVD and an external hard drive would do the job

I now see this

Dunno if photos loadin but its

iQon Technologies System Recovery.

Its offering me a "non destructive system recovery"

Version 2.8

Be very careful of anything marked recovery. What it describes itself as there does seem promising, but a lot of them tended to be very simplistic implementations.

What options does the advanced show?

Should be good...they are appearing here. Have you tried using the Win XP disk at all? You might not have to go through such an extensive recovery.

Skyknight wrote: »
    Should be good...they are appearing here. Have you tried using the Win XP disk at all? You might not have to go through such an extensive recovery.

You need to read back a few posts ;)

Advanced are:

System Recovery - No Format

Option will install a new operating system while preserving all data. However windows applications and settings need to be reinstalled

System Recovery - Quick Format

Has a warning personal data will be erased.

I'm sure as sh*t not picking Quick. Reinstalling windows seems complicated (it was done for me originally so that "No Format" isn't appealing either)

Most of my applications on this are old Football Manager saves and Tomb Raider/ Lord of the Rings games. I only concerned with files and data. If I loose them but keep the photos its a major success.

yeah, damn right .....reading helps alright :D.

A quick google suggests that pressing the 'Del' key should bring up the bios menu on iQon comps.

• Advertisement

A quick google suggests that pressing the 'Del' key should bring up the bios menu on iQon comps.

Whats a bios?

Advertisement