Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I went through T2 on Thursday 18th Nov around 10.30am. Very quiet then.

Fast track lane wasn't open in T2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Mate was flying today, T1, flight after 5pm. 45 min que for security, he got to the gate just as the gate was closing … made it by seconds in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I went through last Saturday and opted for Fast Track, I am glad I did as the normal queues were long.

I noticed that the food options were closed but I didnt mind too much as I had contacted travel services in advance to ask would hot breakfast be available in 51st & Green, the confirmed it would be!

IT WASN'T!!!!

I followed up on email and had the lounge fee returned so if anyone is considering that option be fore warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

security screening T1 at 1600 last Wednesday was back to the boarding pass scanners. DAA still refusing to push the number of belts manned back up . Its not as if they dont know how many flights are leaving at a particular time.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I noticed a QR A330 operating LHR-DUB yesterday and assumed it was in for painting, but then noticed another one doing the same route today. Any idea why it's operating?

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Cargo. This has been happening for a year or so, a couple of times a week. Originally it was mostly B789s before the A330s took over. I think most flights operate inbound via LHR (or at least used to).

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Icelandic airline Play will begin flying between Dublin and Reykjavik three times a week from the end of April. The new route joins Madrid and Brussels as new additions for the summer, bringing to 23 the number of destinations that Play serves.

... Play will begin operations on the North America’s east coast next spring, with Dublin set to play a large part in the transatlantic operations.....

From the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Here we go again – every time there's a new flight from KEF to the USA the Irish Times will run free advertising for them claiming it's a service from Dublin with a short stop in Reykjavik....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

At least they're correctly reporting it (for now) as just a new direct flight to KEF. And not new "connections" from Dublin to NYC or wherever.

Yeah I presume the whole 'dublin will play a large part in the transatlantic operation' is trying to hint at just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Why would anyone in Ireland fly to North America via Reykjavik when DUB has a plethora of direct services to almost 20 cities across USA and Canada? Yes, this new service may provide connections to some secondary cities not directly connected by DUB but will there be enough demand? Also Icelandair already meets the demand for anyone wanting to visit Iceland.

I feel they are making the exact same mistake WOW did by providing far too many unviable routes which ultimately caused WOW's collapse. Iceland only has a population of approx 330k so its not like it has a huge domestic market.

WOW were doing great until they got greedy and leased in the A330s at astronomical rates (including A339s for flights to India). The airline existed for the Greyhound bus market who wanted no frills and they completely lost the plot. The owner was a .com millionaire who wouldn’t listen to his board when they advised against the A330s.

Because of their geographical location they could get more rotations out of the airframes than their competitors. DUB was one of WOWs profitable routes at 2 x daily right up to their demise. Both they and ICE mostly carried/carry North Americans transiting, who generally spend a few days in Iceland before continuing on. Icelandair will keep your checked baggage at the airport for 3 or 4 days for free IIRC allowing a short stay. Irish and Icelandic citizens make up a small % of those on the route.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Noxegon

The time for the KEF-DUB service is 06:00. That might be okay if you're connecting from a transatlantic, but it's a total pain in the proverbial if you're in Iceland – especially since KEF is a good 45 minute drive from Reykjavik.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Pre COVID both they and WOW had a second afternoon/evening rotation which was more convenient for the p2p element. Hopefully when things pick up again one of the two airlines now on the route will do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

Seeing a new set of IAD flights for the summer, 8.45pm IAD-DUB and 4.20pm DUB-IAD.

Can't remember IAD ever having double dailies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Wouldn't make sense to be anyone else as that leaves a lot of time at the Dublin end for an EU hop on a A321LR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Does IAD do that well for Aer Lingus these days or is it just safer bet than starting something new?

I always considered it one of the weaker links in the earlier days, seem to remember one CEO even claiming they'd likely never make it work but it's definitely been a much more consistent performer in recent years, admittedly under a far more effective strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Yeah, it’s not one I expected. Would see a 3rd JFK or Boston before a 2nd IAD.

Yeah appears to be EI, numbers are EI118/119, all services (inc. EI116/117 the earlier departures) are on the A321neos, so not really as big a deal capacity wise as it seems as 2 x A321s isn't a million miles away from an A332/3 which they had running on the route pre COVID. Maybe they've got strong J bookings and can't spare an A333?

The 10.05pm UA flight is also there on a 757.

So that's about 50J seats, 450Y seats daily from DUB to IAD over the summer.

Post edited by cson on

• Advertisement

I think i remember reading a few years ago that it was one of their best performers for transfer traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Those PSO routes usually had a set fare with Stobart I think, I can't remember what each one was exactly but lead in fares were around €45 and very rarely did it go over €90, even for a last minute booking. Amapola seems to have come in with a slightly higher lead in fares.

Ryanair is operating Dublin to Kerry on a purely commercial basis, filling a 189 seater 737-800 with anything close to a useful frequency will be near impossible and they are undoubtably sustaining heavy losses with such low fares and equally low load factors. I suspect they're happy to do this if it stops a new regional entrant (Emerald) from gaining too much traction. We've seen in the past how aggressive Ryanair behaved towards Aer Arann, the ORK-DUB debacle was a particularly low point, and they've been very quick to jump onto former Aer Lingus Regional routes from ORK and SNN despite inevitable losses they will incur.

Most would assume Ryanair has bigger fish to fry but it's clear they're threatened by a regional carrier that has the backing of the Aer Lingus brand and has been proactive in creating an unwelcoming environment as possible for the new start up.

Looks like general ops are getting slammed by COVID.

GF was 1hr50m from me dropping her off to getting through security with 1 bag to check in. She said they had 1 person operating the BA/KLM/Swiss check in desks (God love whoever that was) and that rows were breaking out in the queue. Luckily I bought her fast track so she didn't encounter anything substantial at security (the bulk of the time above was to check in a bag), but definitely relieved that we got there 3hrs prior to her flight (BA835 to LHR).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It’s going to be like this probably for the next two/three weeks before things ease off and the hopefully we have a much better 2022 with more freedom returned

Swissport and Sky Handling thinking that they will always get staff to do check-in, ground handling etc but who really wants to do that kind of work for €10.50 an hour? Labour rates have gone up worldwide, although some industries have yet to notice and still treat their staff like crap.

One of the Qatar flights last week was delayed an hour outbound as they had no staff for check in.

How long will it be before the airlines complain because delays mount across their networks and those with connecting flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Surely the problem is the same one that is mounting up for pretty much every business here and abroad, which is the amount of staff off work due to having to self-isolate as a result of catching omicron or being a close contact.

The airlines themselves aren't immune from this issue either.

Granted but wages would also be a deciding factor. They could be short staffed as it already stands and covid related absences only adds to their issues.

Due their latest spat with an airport operator, Ryanair are pulling out of FRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Frankfurt must be devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

and they out of Berlin as well...... thought they loved the Germans!!

Advertisement