Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

United to fly double daily from Newark from Apr 24 next but unfortunately are scrapping the planned SFO service announced in 2019 but never got off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

But they are not being back the 787-10 which was nice from a comfort level. The route will be offered by a 777 (hopefully not that horrible domestic configuration) and the 2nd flight a 757.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

In fairness it is a resumption of the previous schedule, they used to be double daily on the 757 to EWR before consolidating to a single 777 rotation. IIRC this was due the 757s all requiring a cabin refit and the priority routes for them at the time were US Transcon. BHD, SNN and a few other 757 routes were pulled at the same time. The MAX being grounded compounded the issue. Now that the MAX is back and capable of filling the transcon requirements, the 757s can hit the NAT again.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

Sorry if this has been asked already but just curious as to why are Turkish using wide bodies (A330's 789's and sometimes 773's) on the Dublin route recently? I know they use them to some other European cities whose countries that have large Turkish communities like London, Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Can't be that many flying out of Ireland to Istanbul or connecting onwards? Cargo maybe.. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

Just scrolling through boards as i usually do on a Sunday off work and seen this ,I asked the missus who works in the Airport and she said its a combination of Cargo,Holidays (Turkey fairly popular destination as Ryanair operate a Bodrum and Dalaman service from Dublin and Aer Lingus with Izmir).She also mentioned seeing a lot of people who have come back after getting some work done,Hair Transplants,Dental Surgery amongst other things,plenty of money prob tucked away during Covid 😁😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

Hair Transplant and Dental Surgery...interesting.... and I thought Dubai was just for boob jobs! 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Oh no Turkey is very popular for this! I know of quite a few people who go on holidays there and come back looking extremely refreshed..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They used to fly x2 daily A321/B737. I think its a daily A330-300 for winter before x2daily narrow-body resume next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Qaanaaq

I think it’s connections, THY have so many destinations, even some you need to look up to see where they are. I think they have some claim to have more destinations than any other airline in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

+1, I think so too.. THY have so many destinations in Africa and Asia, where legacy carriers in Europe (AF,BA,KL) have cut services over the last 1,5 year. I've even heard of Brazilians in Ireland using the Istanbul connection for competitive prices (although going in the wrong way) when traveling home to Brazil.

Added benefit here is also the generous luggage policy of them, especially compared to any US or European carrier.

I also expect Turkey itself to become a more popular destination in the next spring and summer season, as their currency is currently devaluating by the hour making it a very attractive destination price-wise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Anyone know how Ryanairs winter schedule compares to 2019?

It looks near normal to me. From a brief look from November 1st they are back up to 8x daily on Stansted and Gatwick, up to 5x daily AMS and 14x weekly LIS (Aer Lingus seem to be 2x weekly LIS in November for comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Turkish are a brilliant airline, 2 suitcases and a free hotel layover on 12+hrs connections. I used them this year going to Brazil due to their competitive price and I didn't trust any EU carrier not to cancel. Istanbul's new Airport is monstrous and puts Dubai in the shade. Turkish airlines are an airline run the way it used to be in the old days when things were better. They changed my flight times by 1hour and I was able to get a refund also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Istanbul's airport is indeed enormous, though I'd respectfully suggest that Dubai is much better organized.

I know where I'd rather connect anyway.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

Don't have actual figures from 2019 but looking at the current schedule it seems to me that they must almost me back at 2019 winter levels, Obviously they have announced serious expansion in Shannon and have also new routes to come in Cork on the reopening.

In Dublin (based on week commencing 8th November - the first "normal" week of the Winterseason they have 689 weekly frequencies (approx) - 14 to Ireland, 293 to UK, 378 to Europe (incl Kiev) and 4 toNorth Africa. That seems impressive given the situation over the last 2 years. Back in September they were operating about 750 weekly departures from Dublin at the peak and given the closure of some routes for Winter and reduction in frequency on other sunshine routes this seems a very strong schedule.

There have been significant growth on the UK routes since September which presumably indicates anticipated stong demand for VFR traffic. I counted 56 frequencies to LGW, 48 to STN and 18 to LTN which is 122 frequencies in total compared to EI with 54 between LHR and LGW and BA with 73 between LHR and LCY. Interesting that LGW is now busier than STN for FR. Makes sense to me as it is much cheaper to connect to central London abnd has good links with the rest of the South Coast. Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol also seem to be back to close to pre Covid service levels with 39,32, 23 and 19 weekly frequencies respectively. Interestingly and maybe not surprisingly the 2 routes where Aer Lingus have stopped flying where they competed directly seem to be lower than before with Leeds having 9 a week and Newcastle 7.

Their mainland Europe services seem to be very strong too with double dailies or more on a number of routes. Portugal really stood out for me too - Lisbon, as you say has an incredible frequency given competition nfrom TAP and Aer Lingus just having 2 weekly. Faro too Ryanair have 9 weekly frequencies compared to 2 from Aer Lingus. Other routes that stood out for me whwew Milan - 7 per week to Malpensa and 14 into Bergamo (Aer Lingus have just 5) and Brussels with 15 per week plus Charleroi - Aer Lingus again just have 5. With so much business on that route frequency and prices must be beating tradition. The only routes where Aer Lingus seem to be close to Ryanair in terms of requency are Malaga and the Canaries with FR still being ahead with Paris the only one where we Lingus is wellahead is Paris where Aer Lingus has 17 compared to 10 FR (albeit going to Beauvais), AH have 20 on this route. EI and FR have pretty similar schedules on Hamburg and Vienna too.

One route where there seems a real dogfight is Frankfurt where EI are back from November with 10 flights a week, FR have 12 and LH have 20. I did a quick check on prices yesterday for Monday November 8th and the prices are very low, LH jhas the lowest basic fare of €17, Aer Lingus €30 and FR €32 on the outbound flights. Seems like an interesting dynamic on that route.

lgw is

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Clon63

As well as it being "upgraded" to the 777 from 2 757s some time back I think they introduced the Washington route at the same time when they were trying to drive more transfer traffic through that hub.

Was just Looking up flights from 8th November. Aer Lingus have a relatively big schedule in November andI can see the United Newark service but apart from that I don't seee much else from the American carriers. I know November is usually a quiet month but surely the pent up demand would justify some service. I haven't looked at all the November schedules so just wondering if anybody knows the plans for the first part of the winter season?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Pretty impressive over all. Hope demand is there to meet the schedules and we see summer 2022 being close to 2018/19.

I read elsewhere Ryanair are in a dispute with Lisbon airport and are in the process of canceling flights. In a way it looks like their schedule there is perhaps an intentional overkill which they will now be “forced” to tune down for dramatic effect classic Ryanair style.

With the US flights now happening, whats it like going through T2 these days? Back to normal levels and security taking a year and a day?

Upgrade underway for food and beverage offering.

I was at the Marquette in T1 twice for breakfast in last month and both times dreadful. Cooked breakfast piled as slop into Styrofoam containers with cold toast plonked on top of it. No plates. Really awful. I remember breakfasts being a lot better there pre Covid so was very disappointed. Hopefully this announcement improves the quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I've only been into Marquette once. They wouldn't sell me mushrooms with my cooked breakfast despite them being clearly visible to see next to the sausages and bacon – they were only for sale as part of an omelette, which I didn't want.

I ended up buying a sandwich from Boots instead.... first world problems!

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had the styrofoam and wooden 'knife' and fork in Marquette on Sunday. The March 2020 obsession with using disposable cutlery and plates has to stop - PPE is already causing an incredible increase in single use items being made and used.

Makes what was an OK product a lot worse and cannot be cheaper than washing ceramic/metal reusable crockery/cutlery.

They had glass beer glasses, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

A cousin breezed through on Sunday - Dublin/Logan. It seems there was a huge rush initially but that has levelled off.

Can answer your question personally on December 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Saladin Ane

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

T2 at 6am last Sunday: Security empty (fast track was a waste of money, but it had been busy some months earlier). No queues for food but still not a lot of seats anywhere

Flight was actually going from Pier B, so went through to T1 which was busier but there were still seats available in Marquette.

No idea about CBP delays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭john boye

Has the Harvest market in T2 closed down?

Entire upstairs isn't open. So it and burger king are out of action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭john boye

Yeah I've been through T2 early twice recently and both were closed but I wasn't sure if they might open later in the day. Not a lot of options in T2 if they're both gone. There's a Starbucks going in beside the duty-free but that's not much of an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

I am flying Friday at 13:40 from T1. Should I get fast pass? Are the queues back to normal?

I flew from T1 last Wed on a 13:15 flight and it was the quietest I'd ever seen it. No queue for security at all..I walked right up to it. No need for a fast pass at that time of day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It should be noted that Fridays are far busier than Wednesdays. Last Friday at 4pm the queues were snaking around the main terminal in T1. Big delays. It might be slightly better before 1pm but not sure.

On a separate note Ryanair have announced Suceava and Madeira for next summer from Dublin. I'd be very interested in the latter.

Advertisement